Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What are your favorite encounters in Underdark?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Donager
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  10:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Donager's Homepage Send Donager a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm working on a pure underdark campaign. I've got a lot of ideas, but I would love to hear some of your favorite encounters in the underdark. It can be either one you experienced as a player (Yeah, right. Like a DM can play) or one you threw at someone.

Appreciate your ideas.

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  11:17:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One is to have the PCs go down a wide tunnel, then ask them who is carrying light sources, then have it revealed that there are some light hating monsters resting on/near the cavern walls. For us it was a hook horror, and the only warning was when something took a swing at the rear guards torch.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  12:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had my players once flee from a bunch of monstrous spiders only to end up at a door in the tunnel through which they had to go to escape the spiders. Only problem was (and I took the inspiration from Kanyr Vhok's legions etc in WOTSQ) the demon who housed behind that door, him and a couple dozen other demons. Neither could the characters give that demon any lip (they were 5th level, I think) and they also couldn't refuse his offer to make a deal... no combat at all, but such a big arse moral ambiguity...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  14:28:27  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as a dm, one of the best encounters i ever ran in the underdark, was when a group of players stumbled upon another group of adventurers after the same thing and decidedly less weighed down by morals and ethics. the two parties were pretty evenly matched and the battle was pitched and entertaining.
i also once had the party search for an ilithid's lair, only to discover that the ilithid had already been killed by a veritable small army of goblins- who were currently having a drunken party to celebrate.
much chaos and fun ensued.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  16:48:11  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time my paladin Rudolf Weathermay had a conflict with creatures known as Grells in the underdark. The DM described those beings as tentacled flying brains and god they were pretty hard. You had to see the horror in the eyes of my comrades when my paladin and the barbarian became paralysed by those creatures. In the end the whole party was defeated by those creatures. Fortunally for us (or not so fortunally) they didn't killed us but took us to their lair as food for later. So we had to escape from their lair and it was a very scary experience :-)
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  17:48:00  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donager

I'm working on a pure underdark campaign. I've got a lot of ideas, but I would love to hear some of your favorite encounters in the underdark. It can be either one you experienced as a player (Yeah, right. Like a DM can play) or one you threw at someone.

Appreciate your ideas.

This is a favourite of mine and it's a good test to see if players understand darkvision. Get them to search for a drow wearing red (or any colour really.) You'd be surprised at how many people forget that underground, without a light source, it is dark. The smart players will figure it out.

I posted 41 adventure seeds here:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7582

Hopefully, you'll find some useful.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  22:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh favourite encounters in Under dark ?

As a player I really like fighting Ropers, yes you always know there is a dangerous fight in front of you, and I doesn’t mater what class ore prestige classyou are, when you meet a pack of these creatures.

As a Dungeon master I really like to use The Naga… a perfect ambush, with traps and spells.
Char person and Darkness… and create chaos, and hope the players surrender, ore run away

Ohh got carried a little away here.. lol, but that’s is my opinion

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  23:21:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never gotten to play in the Underdark...

But there was this really sweet critter in Dragon Annual 1... The elghonn. The thing happily hunted drow. I'd love to use that in a game.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  09:05:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, I'd break my "no-drow-focused-campaigns until 2010" just to make use of the elghonn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Feb 2007 09:06:15
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  11:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's a simple question:

Drow!!!

My PC are terribly afraid of Drow, especially Drow, if they are combined with spiders.
I usually let them pass a spider invested area, only to find out, that the spiders were just the beginning.

I usually equip my Drow with +5 Weapons and Armour + a few other magical items (Piwafi, etc.), so even low level Drow are a real threat to my PC

Most interesting thing is, that they are usually so tensed in the Underdark, that a simple Darkness Spell (without any appearant enemies) often makes them panicking ...
*hehe*

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Donager
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  12:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Donager's Homepage Send Donager a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some great ideas! I don't have any of the information on the elghonn currently, but I'm going to have to get it. Sounds like a wonderful critter!
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  16:01:05  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm a big fan of throwing earth elementals and squishy/tentacley things at my players when they delve underground.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  10:37:23  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had my players run into the nastiest monsters you will find in world wide Toril - the Mindflayers, of course. It was a fun encounter because it never got to a fight. all players failed their first will save against the illithid's stunning mind waive attack and ended up as slaves. How it evolved - I was merciful and after several weeks of travel and a few more month of slave labor for the fishheads the illithid outpost the players were 'stationed' at was attacked by duergar. They managed to shake of the domination and fled into the underdark, with almost no equipment at all. After 2 weeks of travel and hard pressed fights against all kinds of predetorious creatures they finally emerged from the underdark in the Skull Gorge. Not the best place to be either....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  19:06:11  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, don't speak about those damned Illithids. Once, one of those mind flaying scum mentally controlled our half orc barbarian when he was on his guard duty. I didn't enjoyed when he bashes his club right on my sleeping characters skull :-)
Go to Top of Page

Odysseus
Seeker

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  15:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Odysseus's Homepage Send Odysseus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite encounters in the underdark, are ones that make use of the terrain.
Dread wraiths in narrow tunnels.
Drow on high winding ledges.
Undead in gas filled caverns.
Spiders while the party are climbing.
Trolls on bridges.
Derro on uneven sliding surfaces.

“Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody’s power, that is not easy.” —Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  00:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man do I love Underdark enounters. From Derro warbands to Aboleth raiders, the caverns are full of cool encounters and situations.

It would be cool to set up an Underdark campaign. From the mean streets of Menzoberranzen, to the bottomless depths of the Lowerdark, an FR campaign composed of an Underdark party would be something to look forward to. Just imagine the monster PCs and NPCs to interact with! Meeting Drow and Duergar as fellow acquaintances, while waging war against the surface kingdoms, and your fellow people when the need suits it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000