Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New WotC column on FR site - "Class Chronicles"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  00:37:18  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done. I would have liked to seen updated level on Jarlaxle though. Got any stats for him laying around?

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  11:44:00  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really beyond the scope of these articles to do big NPC write-ups. Also, I don't want to step on the toes of a Bob Salvatore.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  18:51:57  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I agree with the idea that divine magic requires a patron. In this one specific instance, I had to go against the grain, simply due to the nature of the factotum class. Making them choose a patron really goes against the entire idea of the class. They are drawing on the power of the gods, but not on any one particular god. In this way, they are more like ur-priests (or even bards) than clerics.

Would this not depend on how black & white us as players/DMs take the patron deity requirement?

Just because there is a rule that a character needs to have a patron deity does not have to stand in the way of the factotum class. FR is after all a polytheistic culture and someone with a plethora of holy symbols and some limited power could still function with a patron deity who might or might not grant these spells - certainly, the character would not need to know. (And some deities actually enjoy masquerading as another)

I always see a patron deity as a divine being that a character (PC or NPC) might favor over other deities, but predominantly because that deity's ideals/dogmas match with the character's outlook on life and behavior (whether conscious or sub-conscious) and likely influenced by the character's background and upbringing (though this need not be the defining factor)

In other words, in my opinion, the requirement for a patron deity could still stand without endangering the factotum class…
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  20:08:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your idea isn't bad Mumadar, though I think most people interpret that you must select a specific deity. That doesn't have to limit your game, but for the most part, divine spellcasters must choose a patron deity. It's quite possible that factotums don't think they are getting their powers from a deity, but they are indeed. This is similar to a cleric who worships a dead god, not realizing that another god (like Cyric) is granting their powers.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  21:57:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your idea isn't bad Mumadar, though I think most people interpret that you must select a specific deity. That doesn't have to limit your game, but for the most part, divine spellcasters must choose a patron deity. It's quite possible that factotums don't think they are getting their powers from a deity, but they are indeed. This is similar to a cleric who worships a dead god, not realizing that another god (like Cyric) is granting their powers.

Or a heretic that is getting their spells from a god diametrically opposed to the god they think they are following, or even Ur-Priests, which Ed said in his responses, do gain spells in the Realms, but from various evil deities whose power is not being stolen, but just loaned out to these heretics to cause chaos and havok for whatever reason, while allowing them to maintain the illusion that they are "stealing" the power of the gods.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:16:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good job gathering up the gods. I see you mixed some from MM and Dragonomicon. I also noticed a couple were missing, and was wondering if there was anything to support the below assumptions

Asgorath = Io? This is almost a shoe in given their descriptions, but...

Null = Falazure + Chronepsis ?? Is Null something like the three part elven deity. It would be kind of weird because Chronepsis is hinted at being Io's brother and Falazure is Io's son, but maybe something was mentioned somewhere of a takeover that I never noticed and Null uses those Alias'

Xymor (justicemaker) = is he dead, he's not on the list? He does seem a little redundant with Bahamut, but they are listed as separate entities in the same book. Did they combine them?

Kalzareinad (dead dragon god of secrets) = where'd this one come from

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:20:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Good job gathering up the gods. I see you mixed some from MM and Dragonomicon. I also noticed a couple were missing, and was wondering if there was anything to support the below assumptions

Null = Falazure + Chronepsis ?? Is Null something like the three part elven deity. It would be kind of weird because Chronepsis is hinted at being Io's brother and Falazure is Io's son, but maybe something was mentioned somewhere of a takeover that I never noticed and Null uses those Alias'

Xymor (justicemaker) = is he dead, he's not on the list? He does seem a little redundant with Bahamut, but they are listed as separate entities in the same book. Did they combine them?

Some of those were resolved by the dragon god appendix to the 2nd Edition Cult of the Dragon sourcebook.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:24:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, as far as the latest article goes, I have to admit, I kind of like the classes that don't require a lot of work to fit into the Realms, because you can pretty easily say that the class works in the Realms, and now that that is established, now we can delve into some well written, interesting Realmslore. In other words, a great excuse to see you set loose to come up with some fun new characters, organizations, places, and plot hooks, which I have really enjoyed.

As far as Dragonfire Adepts go, my first thought was "these guys are just like Warlocks but with dragonfire," so I kind of liked how you turned them into "pact makers" with "unearthly" dragons. Still don't think the class is that inspired, but its a good spin on why they are similar to Warlocks but tied to dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  00:03:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit surprised that the Marshals weren't connected to the Red Knight in any way...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  13:15:06  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Xymor is just another name of Bahamuth, which can be easily seen in Dragons of Faerun in the chapter “Orders of Dragonkind”, “Talons of Justice”: “The Talons of Justice are an order of silver dragons dedicated to Xymor (Bahamut) …” This backs up the information from the mentioned appendix of Cult of the Dragon.

The information on the “Light of Xymor” is very interesting. Are they dragonborn of Bahamut? Is there any more lore about them to be found elsewhere, in novels or sourcebooks?

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  15:52:26  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm a bit surprised that the Marshals weren't connected to the Red Knight in any way...

It would have been a really good idea, but she completely slipped my mind at the time. Fortunately, I've worked in some Red Knight lore into another entry later on.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  15:53:02  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:

Xymor is just another name of Bahamuth, which can be easily seen in Dragons of Faerun in the chapter “Orders of Dragonkind”, “Talons of Justice”: “The Talons of Justice are an order of silver dragons dedicated to Xymor (Bahamut) …” This backs up the information from the mentioned appendix of Cult of the Dragon.

The information on the “Light of Xymor” is very interesting. Are they dragonborn of Bahamut? Is there any more lore about them to be found elsewhere, in novels or sourcebooks?

Light of Xymor is new, though it's based on some ideas we developed in Dragons of Faerun. I can't really go into much more detail on them due to NDAs.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 16 Jun 2007 15:53:38
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  15:54:30  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kalzareinad is nothing new. He's been around for quite some time. For a bit more (recent) info, see the Cliffs of Karthaut adventure. There is a priestess of Kalzareinad there.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 16 Jun 2007 15:54:48
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  16:01:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I worked Kalzareinad into my history of Linnorms here, though obviously its just my take on things:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9364&SearchTerms=Linnorms
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  17:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Light of Xymor is new, though it's based on some ideas we developed in Dragons of Faerun. I can't really go into much more detail on them due to NDAs.

Yai, sometimes NDAs are good news. I suppose we will hear of them soon enough.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2007 :  06:12:14  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

We have another! :)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070620

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2007 :  06:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eytan I love that youve started to include free crunchy stuff in your articles!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2007 :  10:35:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a pretty good amount of crunch planned for the psionic entries.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  23:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just reading ETU and it looks like theres more characters with non core classes mentioned in it (Beguiler and Sword Sage)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  07:49:57  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New one is up.

Psionic Races Part 2
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070627

Monch
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  11:19:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, it reall does look like Eytan's work on psionics is going to be pretty extensive in this series. Not only do I like the tie in to Ghostwise halflings being psionic (it makes sense given the limited telepathy they have), but I liked the references to various "obscure" Realmsian monsters as well. It serves as a reminded that even though the rules have changed, psionics does have a precedence and a history in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  00:33:21  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New one is up.

Psionic Races Part 3.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070703

EDIT: Isn't showing up in Active Topics or even saying it was updated by me. So I thought maybe an edit would help it get a little notice.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Edited by - turox on 04 Jul 2007 00:45:16
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  06:23:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooray for the reference to the Destroyers. Plus, I would love to see some "face time" in the novels for some tension between the War Wizards and the newly hired mind mages in Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2007 :  21:08:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, very well done piece. Thanks for the sidebar on the drow. I never have read those early Salvatore books (though my birthday present and Christmas present open up my opportunity, if I can ever get caught up). I knew that there was some issue with the psionic drow during the ToT from the message boards, and I knew from the sellsword trilogy that the new "head" of Bregan Daerthe was a psion... but I'd never put two and two together. Now, I just need to read the new Vhok book, read the DL book that just came out in paperback, read paladin of souls, and I can start reading all the older dark elf lore.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  08:29:02  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

New one is up:

Psionic Classes

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070711

Monch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  15:56:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see the other gods for divine minds clarified. Also, I was wondering if there was anything like a mystic theurge for psionics. Good job finding it amongst the mind's eye articles. Of any religion, I definitely see deep duerra's being one that develops psychic theurges (primarily with psion/clerics, ardent/clerics and wilder/favored souls, and maybe a few psychic warrior's/clerics and divine minds/favored souls). I liked the part building on the elan's previously mentioned and the god Auppenser.
I was looking for one thing, because it seemed odd when I was looking at the monster deities in Faiths & Pantheons. There's a cloud giant deity named Memnor who gives the mentalism domain. I don't have giantcraft, so I don't know if he was mentioned in there. I did find his mentioning in monster mythology, but nothing in there really struck me as psychic/mental related (other than he sends visions that cause splitting headaches). Is there any other strong information about this deity? Am I reading too much into this domain choice?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  17:04:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the reference to Deneir's Chosen exhibiting psionic abilities . . . smooth.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  05:34:44  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New one is up for Binders, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  11:16:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Eytan. I really liked the "Realmsified" vestiges in the article, and I love new vestiges as well. Really happy about the article.
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  14:54:59  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again I must say you rock sir!

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: