Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Comics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  03:11:36  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Checking at my local comic store (where I also buy my D&D books), I found a comic rack filled with the old Forgotten Realms comic series-- issues #1-14 and the Annual. And with the low price of $1.00 Canadian per issue, I feel as though it's a steal!!

To those who have read and/or own the issues, is it worth it?

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  03:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.

Very good stuff.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  06:13:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the old comic books. Now only do I still have them, they're among the only comics I've not put into storage.

There were actually two titles set in the Realms. Obviously, Forgotten Realms was one of them. The other was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, which was set mostly in Waterdeep. There were a couple of weak issues, but overall, the stories and artwork were quite good.

A lot of characters and events from the comics have since been incorporated into printed Realmslore, too.

Are the old comics worth it? I shall sic a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters on you if you don't jump on this excellent opportunity!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  10:34:16  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MY GOD MAN!!!!!

Buy the comics!!!!

In mint condition people can pay a lot of money for #1 and the annuals!

I know I have lots in stock

But at $1 CD each buy the lot!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  22:09:19  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it appears I was wrong. The store had almost all of the issues. I picked up issues 1, 2, and 5 (with 3 and 4 nowhere to be seen.) So far.. I LOVE IT!!

Could someone PM me what happens in #3 and #4? I'm dying to find out what happens!

Oh, and Wooly Rupert.. would one of those Miniature Giant Space Hamsters belong to a bald Rashemi Berserker Ranger? :P
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  22:43:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IlexGarodan

Oh, and Wooly Rupert.. would one of those Miniature Giant Space Hamsters belong to a bald Rashemi Berserker Ranger? :P

I've heard of him, but I have no first-hand knowledge of that one.

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  23:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of these comics... I will try and look them up. Hard though to find any of the old stuff in the danish gaming stores. But it sounds like its worth a try.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  17:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Never heard of these comics... I will try and look them up. Hard though to find any of the old stuff in the danish gaming stores. But it sounds like its worth a try.

They are definitely worth the effort of locating them. They pop up on Ebay regularly and I've found them on several sites that sell back issue comics, but those sites are usually too pricey.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  10:46:40  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there IlexGarodan,

Re issues #3 & #4

I have those in stock if you want?

remember 10% off marked price for Candlekeep members in my Ebay shop!

Plus many other numbers of AD&D and Forgotten Realms comics too.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  02:20:04  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were fun. How many did they actually publish?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  06:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm perhaps i should go out and try to find a copy of some of these

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  09:55:27  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

They were fun. How many did they actually publish?

I'm not 100% sure but I had the full run of 36 + #1 Annual

But as they only ever made a #1 annual it looks like only one run of comics #1 - #36 plus the annual #1

and Zaknafein if you are looking to get some I have loads on ebay! not a full collection anymore but most numbers.

They are still a really great read, even for a 32 year old like me

I thought I had grown out of comics (&D&D, lucky me the wife bought me a new set of core books) until a few years ago when I found a limited edition Calvin & Hobbs comic book i have since then I pick some up every now and then to escape!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  18:01:38  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might check with Mile High Comics online. They should at least note the length of the run and may have copies for sale too, though they are probably pricier.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  22:00:12  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

You might check with Mile High Comics online. They should at least note the length of the run and may have copies for sale too, though they are probably pricier.

Does this mean my humble shop has been graced by one of my idols!!!!

If it has I am pleased beyond ..... speach

if not then Tom pay a visit!!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  21:58:46  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased almost the entire run of the FR and AD&D series from Mile High several years back. I was very pleased. They had just about every issue I didn't.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  23:18:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Things From Another World also have several copies of the more "harder to obtain" issues -- or rather, they did the last time I checked.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  10:14:09  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I purchased almost the entire run of the FR and AD&D series from Mile High several years back. I was very pleased. They had just about every issue I didn't.

if you need any your missing just contact me!!
or vist my ebay shop.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  20:44:11  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cast Necromancy magic to bring this topic back to life!

I finally bought all of the issues that my comic store had, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed that the series ended at #25. I rather enjoyed it!

Though, I just discovered they carry the old AD&D comics, and it's the entire collection too. Once I'm paid, I'll "liberate" the comics from their hands.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  21:40:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I finally bought all of the issues that my comic store had, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed that the series ended at #25. I rather enjoyed it!

Though, I just discovered they carry the old AD&D comics, and it's the entire collection too. Once I'm paid, I'll "liberate" the comics from their hands.

Oddly, it's the AD&D characters who have seen the most usage since the comics end -- most notably, Kyriani being named as a Lord of Waterdeep in City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  12:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Oddly, it's the AD&D characters who have seen the most usage since the comics end -- most notably, Kyriani being named as a Lord of Waterdeep in City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

Yeah, that's mostly my fault.

Steven
who used to be the liaison for TSR with DC Comics on the AD&D comic

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  14:11:24  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
does anyone if they ever plan to do a TPB on these series?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  16:41:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Many people have suggested this. But due to licensing issues, and the age and popularity of the comic, it's not likely.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  16:44:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that's mostly my fault.

Steven
who used to be the liaison for TSR with DC Comics on the AD&D comic

Indeed. Still, though characters from the FR comics have popped up in other places, they've been mostly left alone. Vartan Hai Sylvar has appeared in a couple of spots (mostly in relation to Labelas Enoreth), and Dwalimar Omen was mentioned in Shining South, but that's about it. They've basically been left alone.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  17:47:51  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Many people have suggested this. But due to licensing issues, and the age and popularity of the comic, it's not likely.

the reprint a lot of junk these days though. Its pretty easy cash for the comic compnaies since they arlready have the product. These need to buy paper.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  18:28:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

the reprint a lot of junk these days though. Its pretty easy cash for the comic compnaies since they arlready have the product. These need to buy paper.

Yeah, but DC did not solely own those titles. TSR licensed them to DC. Besides, I don't think sales were great for those books -- they were aimed at a rather small subset of comic readers, not just the broader market of comic readers.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  20:21:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but DC did not solely own those titles. TSR licensed them to DC. Besides, I don't think sales were great for those books -- they were aimed at a rather small subset of comic readers, not just the broader market of comic readers.

very true. but theydo release a lot of even obscure things into TPB.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  20:21:40  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  20:41:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, when they think there's a demand for them -- and when they own the license themselves. In this case, neither applies.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  01:13:24  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, when they think there's a demand for them -- and when they own the license themselves. In this case, neither applies.

darn it. I'd buy them

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  02:49:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

darn it. I'd buy them

Ditto. I've got all the comics; they're bagged and boarded and though they're in storage, I can still get to them. Still, they're not in the greatest condition... And TPBs are handy for being all in one cover.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  03:05:54  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

darn it. I'd buy them

Ditto. I've got all the comics; they're bagged and boarded and though they're in storage, I can still get to them. Still, they're not in the greatest condition... And TPBs are handy for being all in one cover.

well. thats 2. Hear that DC/TSR. Print 'em

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000