Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D in Every day life :)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  05:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
blinkblinkblink

Well, hopefully that means my competition for teaching jobs in the future might not be so bad . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  23:19:47  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

blinkblinkblink

Well, hopefully that means my competition for teaching jobs in the future might not be so bad . . . .

Bookwyrm in the state of NEW JERSEY you need to have a minimum Grade point average of 2.7 CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! 2.7, is a TERRIBLE GPA. If you cannot get a minimum of a 3.0 in your majour (and I would go as far as saying 3.2) then you should LEAVE the majour and try something else.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  00:57:51  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

I hear you, Mournblade. I couldn't ever be a principal either for similar reasons.

For example, I am getting a degree in Instructional Technology (using computers to teach), and one of the women in my class who is almost finished just said "Do you know what I just realized? The number lock has to be on for the numbers to work on the key pad."

A Language Arts teacher I used to work with (she passed away) told students that W was a vowel.

I am actually thinking about getting out altogether and getting a job at a computer help desk or something when I finish my degree, although I am sure every career has its share of ORCS.

I have a hard time assigning values to peoples attributes. Very hard to decide. I can barely figure out my own stats. Hey that's a possible fun topic what are your D&D statistics? Not FR Related though...

I think if I were in the Realms I would make a dandy Wizard.

Brynweir:
The nice thing about working a help desk is that those without the capacity for intelligent thought are usually weeded out before too long, or at least become painfully obvious. That kind of environment encourages creative troubleshooting at least in a diversified environment. If you really want to expand you computer knowledge that's the way to do it. Get one at a small company without a lot of staff and you will have more opportunities to learn a greater variety of technology. But that's just my personal experience.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  02:29:22  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip, Artalis, I'll keep that in mind.

I think if I were in the realms I would end up being a Ranger (maybe a Harper) because I feel compelled to help people, even total strangers. Sometimes I will go out of my way to help people if they are just nice enough to ask instead of demand. I don't depend on other people much and I am very accepting of differences. One of my major flaws, however, is that I can really hold a grude. (Sound like a ranger?)

Bookwyrm, if you want to be sure to have a teaching job, come to Kentucky. We are looking at a shortage of over 500 teachers in the region I'm in. They are so desperate that they have opened an alternate certification program and will pay for people in other fields to come teach in certain areas.

(Unfortunately for me, I am so helpful that I end up spending way too much time helping unqualified people do their jobs that I have no spare time for myself. That is one of the reasons that I'm glad you guys are so willing to help me catch-up on all the FR I have missed )

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  05:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brynweir, I know about the Kentucky deal . . . the same girl I mentioned elsewhere was from "Lowv'l" (I could never match how she said "Louisville"), and she told me how desperate they are there. She said that a classmate of hers was hired less than a year after high school to teach sophomore English, with an emergency certification while she completed her training. I was quite impressed.

Unfortunately, Kentucky doesn't have the same attraction it once had. She's no longer with the guy she left me for, but she's in Wisconsin right now. Things are complicated. We might get back together, if we ever end up in the same state. If she were there, you know I'd move to Kentucky in a heartbeat.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  11:38:05  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wooo
but u should explain me something, because i don't understand everything yet. What is 2.7, 3.0...?

Who didn't walk on a d4 when waking up?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  12:30:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artalis said -
quote:
I routinely find myself assigning classes and alignments to characters on television shows. I also always seem to think of spells that would be of great use on those same shows.
I found myself doing this a lot when the original X-Men movie came out in the cinemas as well as Spiderman. And I did it again for X-Men 2, as well as for the Matrix: Reloaded.

Books I read which also lay outside the D&D fantasy genre also sometimes trigger the same habits, where I try to constantly assign d20 abilities to the characters I read about. Also, I play the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K battle games. I have an entire notebook dedicated to d20 stats for all the races, characters, and special creatures that I create everytime I play a game.

And finally, how many of us have sat in the cinemas or at home with the DVD and watched The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Two Towers and tried to work the d20 mechanics into the action scenes and characters portrayed in the movies?.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  13:34:01  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its true, but not the first time i saw these movies

but u know, every role player knows how much a d4 can be dangerous... viciously hidden in the shadows waiting u, fool, move the first, half hang over half dreaming, to jump at ur throat and ... well, it may not be a d4, but its dangerous, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  16:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can fully sympathise with you on the dangerous D4 problem Eilinel! Other perils of a RP's bedroom include any minatures with spears (got a whole regiment of goblin spearmen impaled on my foot once ), and huge stacks of rulebooks which are all-too easily tripped over...

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  00:25:51  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Brynweir, I know about the Kentucky deal . . . the same girl I mentioned elsewhere was from "Lowv'l" (I could never match how she said "Louisville"), and she told me how desperate they are there. She said that a classmate of hers was hired less than a year after high school to teach sophomore English, with an emergency certification while she completed her training. I was quite impressed.

Unfortunately, Kentucky doesn't have the same attraction it once had. She's no longer with the guy she left me for, but she's in Wisconsin right now. Things are complicated. We might get back together, if we ever end up in the same state. If she were there, you know I'd move to Kentucky in a heartbeat.

Forgive me bookwyrm, but make sure you do not turn down NEWER oppurtunities for the hope of an old one. I messed up ALOT of oppurtunities 'waiting' for an ex. And here I am , in candlekeep, still poring over old scrolls, happy with the solitude...

My room is the MOST DANGEROUS gamer room. Those D4's are CALTROPS!!!! I don't just TRIP on books I slip on them. And those spearmen are a pain!!!! My room is a labyrinthe of gamer death! (by the way I live in only one large attick room, with different areas designated for different things. I STILL pay my weight in Platinum to rent it though! The New Jersey/New York commuter area is SUCH a pain to live in. A regular, one floor + basement house goes for $285,000.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  07:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

wooo
but u should explain me something, because i don't understand everything yet. What is 2.7, 3.0...?

Sorry we confused you, Eilinel. But don't be afraid to ask this sort of thing.

It's called a GPA, which stands for Grade-Point Average. The numbers relate to how well a person does in school; mostly this system is used in higher education, but it's also used in high school as well.

The way to read it is to assign a letter to each number.

0.0 = F
1.0 = D
2.0 = C
3.0 = B
4.0 = A

So, say you took four courses in the last semester and came out with two As, one B, and one C. If you put that in grade-points, then average it out, you earned a GPA of 3.25. What we were talking about, though, was a total GPA for that person's higher education.

I hope that cleared that up for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

And finally, how many of us have sat in the cinemas or at home with the DVD and watched The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Two Towers and tried to work the d20 mechanics into the action scenes and characters portrayed in the movies?.

[Bookwyrm raises his hand.] Um, me?

However, there's a very good reason for that -- I haven't seen either of them since I got obsessed with the Realms again by joining this forum.

I admit to doing it for many others, though. Not Matrix, but I did for X-Men. I converted one character of mine (or tried to, it didn't come out right) into D&D just for the heck of it. I've thought of some other things for that, like the main character of my favorite SF book series, named Honor Harrington (until I realized I'd need to create a bunch of new feats for that) and I've toyed with the idea of creating a template for the 'Slayer.' (Great show concept, too bad they messed up so horrifically.)

quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Those D4's are CALTROPS!!!!

That's why Plato liked the tetrahedron. Remember this topic? I forgot to mention on it the reasons he chose those shapes for those elements. Fire burns you. Why? It must be made of the sharpest particle -- the tetrahedron. (Similarly, the icosahedron (d20) is the most spherical of the five 'perfect' shapes, so it was water.)

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  09:02:34  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, thanks a lot, i understood. But why have they to make it difficult wen they could use a 20 system?

Its true that golein spearmen are the worst of all, they are so sharp that every time they hurt me.

RPlayers are also maso, as u can see...
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  22:33:32  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
US should use the D20 system for the notes, its the best system ever!

u know, i used to imagine my note before the correction by rolling a D20...
anyway, that was funny
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What in the nine worlds of Yggdrasil are you talking about?

Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  23:17:00  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I also give people alignments and stats. I consider my friend to be NG with 16 dex and 15 int. All those years of him playing console games has made his hands nimble and his memory is amazing.

Memory goes under wisdom, my good man.

quote:
I found myself doing this a lot when the original X-Men movie came out in the cinemas as well as Spiderman. And I did it again for X-Men 2, as well as for the Matrix: Reloaded.

I rated Wolverine as a level 2 Ranger. The Bitch couldn't even fight properly. Maby I should have rated him 1? (But the comic Book character! Now there's a guy that could kick Dragon-butt!)

quote:
I've toyed with the idea of creating a template for the 'Slayer.' (Great show concept, too bad they messed up so horrifically.)

What slayer? There are soooo many slayers out there.

I could start posting statistics here... 'cuz I've made them for most of the peopel I know... but You guys don't ccare about that, and it's none of your buisness, anyway! Get your noses outa 'ere!

In a related matter: One of my friends has a effective Dexterity of 16, but 6 in Constitution (Seriously. This dude is exausted after playing a 10-minute soccer game as a Keeper! Mehehehehe! He smokes, though. He blames the smokes. Everybody makes fun of he 'cuz his condition sux. I've got a strength below 10... I need to learn when to shut up... shutting up now... ookay.... done)

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  23:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, memorization and learning is under Intelligence -- look at the rules for the Knowledge skill.

The Slayer template I was fooling around with is from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was just idly doing it . . . I'm not a big fan of the series.

As for Wolverine, he does know how to fight. Hardly a Ranger, though -- I'd make him mostly a Barbarian with at least one Monk level.

There're a few d20 versions of the X-Men out there, though. Sort of assuming how they'd work if the world they were in were based on d20 rules with a low magic level.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  03:17:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, memorization and learning is under Intelligence -- look at the rules for the Knowledge skill.

The Slayer template I was fooling around with is from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was just idly doing it . . . I'm not a big fan of the series.

As for Wolverine, he does know how to fight. Hardly a Ranger, though -- I'd make him mostly a Barbarian with at least one Monk level.

There're a few d20 versions of the X-Men out there, though. Sort of assuming how they'd work if the world they were in were based on d20 rules with a low magic level.

I think Wolverine would probably have more than just one level of the Monk class. He has had considerable training in certain forms of the Martial Arts over his long life, and also has at his command, a number of alien attack and defence forms...although this wasn't emphasised in the movies...

Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  14:07:33  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wolverine is a Samurai. I don't know what his title is called, but he rose to the top, and beyond that again.

No Ranger ? Hes a loner, hes got Animal Empathy, he allways Dual Wields, hes a excelent woodsman, hes got tracking, and hes got a bunch of skillpoints on Stealth (etc), though he rarely uses those skills. He does have this strange empathy for going Berserk, though, and insane HP. Yeah, probably a bit of a Barbarien. He never wears any armour, neither. (Not that he really needs too)

Hes got pretty low Intelligence (Well.... pretty high, but not excactly staggering), maby 18 - 19 strenght, 16-or so dexterity, 30-ish constitution

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a horrible series. Angel is much better (He allway was cooler than her, anyway)

If intelligence is "memorization and learning"... what is Wisdom?

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  16:14:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wisdom normally represents the PC's overall judgement (an ability to determine the right and wrong, how and why of a situation), and ability to use what he/she has learned (normally through a high-INT) wisely.

Wolverine as a samurai...Yes I had forgotten about the training he had received from - among other masters - the Silver Samurai. I wouldn't say that he had a low Intelligence, you must remember that he was reprogrammed by Department K, and given pre-ordered memory and thinking patterns that simply coerced his mind into certain ways of thinking that were conductive to carrying out his missions. Once he was free of that, his actual thought process restablished themselves and...we seem to be getting well off-topic so...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  06:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to get us back on topic . . . .

I was talking with Professor Williams last Wednesday (you might remember him, Sage, you have his website in your bookmarks) about my D&D paper (showing evidence that the hysteria about our game is false). He's a first-generation D&D player, rather proudly saying that he was playing it when the rulebooks were just a set of stapled-together sheets of paper.

Anyway, he mentioned that his then-girlfriend (now wife) was driving back to the college campus with most of the D&D group in the car, and seemed to keep narrowly missing hitting things. Normally she was a good driver, so they said she must have had glasses of blindness on.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  23:12:05  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What in the nine worlds of Yggdrasil are you talking about?

all right, so it seems it needs further explanations...
well, exam notes in France are always on 20 and more u have, better u are.
so, sometimes, after having done an exam, i rolled a d20, just to imagine how much i could have.
i don't know why, but those rolls were rarely good and thus i stopped doing so.
anyway, i guess it was a stupid habit.
well, then i said europeans used the d20 system, instead of the d6 americain system...
but u can't get 2.97 with a d6...
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  23:14:09  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
E doesn't exist?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  05:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took me a moment to figure out what you meant. No, E doesn't exist, and it isn't a six-point system. F isn't a grade -- it stands for "Failure." The lowest possible grade you can have is a D-.

In terms of 20:

A: 20-19
B: 18-17
C: 16-15
D: 13-14
F: 12 and lower

Of course, we actually use a d% system, not d6 or d4.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  05:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A car commercial came on, and when it listed its more-than-you-need horsepower, it flashed up on the screen as "such and such HP." Naturally, my first thought was "Okay, but what's its hardness?"

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  06:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find myself calculating hp and hardness for objects in computer games sometimes.(although it's a bit screwy when a game, such as Deus Ex: Invisible War, includes unbreakable glassware but very weak cardboard boxes that are immune to bashing damage.)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  13:15:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a series of sport commercials running here at the moment where a man is trying to pole-vault over a high wall in a park...it's a rather bizarre advertisement. Anyway, five times out of six he always fails to make the jump over the wall, and every time I see it I keep working out different ways to create a pole-vaulting skill just so I can run the same series in my game and try to understand why such an able athelete can keep missing the wall so often...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  00:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like that would be Jump with Dexterity as the key ability.

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  05:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often wish I had a simulacrum, just so I didn't have to go to work. Or maybe just Suggestion ("I deserve a $20/hour raise" )

Edit: It seems I have been promoted! ...Does that come with a raise? Do I even get paid for that matter?

Edited by - Icewolf on 23 Feb 2004 06:01:17
Go to Top of Page

Malaug
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  09:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Malaug's Homepage Send Malaug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did assign myself stats under 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. I was a Level 3 Thief with a very high pick pockets and dexterity, this came about when I stole my friends wallet and glasses from his pocket as he sat next to me in Business Studies class. Of course I gave them back to him.

At the moment I have the abilities Irritate and Completely p**s-off, but this is only effective on my wife for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  16:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf

It seems I have been promoted! ...Does that come with a raise? Do I even get paid for that matter?

Yes, it does. You now have an extra two gold pieces an hour.

Unfortunately, Alaundo always seems to find enough charges to get every copper piece back . . . .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000