Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Population of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  20:07:24  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A question that has been plaguing my mind for some time now is, what is the estimated population of Faerun?

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  20:31:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to page 98 of the FRCS, Faerun is collectively home to more than sixy eight million (68,000,000) inhabitants.
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  21:16:24  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though it doesn't make it clear whether that means 68 million human inhabitants, 68 human + demi-human inhabitants, 68 million humanoid inhabitants, or 68 million inhabitans of greater than animal intelligence.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  23:33:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember also that 3e material basically streamlined Realms population numbers. Essentially, some locales and regions actually lost numbers, while other locations in fact gained numbers, due mostly to the use of the population charts published in the 3e/3.5e DMG's.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  21:21:04  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess it was 68 million folks drawn from the various player character races in the PH and FRCS, which is pretty much what the various population numbers in the FRCS count. So that probably doesn't include most orcs and goblinoids, beholders, and the like. That's just my guess, however.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  22:00:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall a discussion some months ago about population where numbers did not appear to add up. Something about how common elves were on the mainland as a percentage. Numbers came from various sources.

Kalin Agrivar offered the 25 percent claim in this scroll: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7474&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Elves%2Crare

This of course was later disproved, however still not sure how many live on or underneath the surface. My main interest was a speculation that Drow population might exceed the "fair elf" population because of the much higher reported fertility of Drow.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  22:56:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that the 68M number refers to the civilized races living on the surface of Faerūn. The Underdark doesn't appear to be included in the referenced quote, nor does aquatic areas like the Sea of Fallen Stars. And I say the civilized races, because those are the ones that would be counted in a census. The numbers of uncivilized races like orcs and goblins are in constant fluctuation, and other critters, like beholders, prolly don't number highly enough for anyone to want to count them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  17:54:08  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

What i was mainly referring to, was the amount of humans and demihumans in Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  06:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
68000000! That is a fricken ton lol

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000