Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I have run out of ideas!!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Lysander
Acolyte

Greece
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  22:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Lysander's Homepage Send Lord Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am running a game, and I want to send the players (Human rogue5/fighter2/wizard1 , dwarf cleric6/fighter2, human wizard 8) to Candlekeep, for a full RP session. I want them to be given a magical gem, needed to open a magically sealed mine. I am planning to position the gem in the citadels' caverns. But I don't have any idea how to send them down there. If anybody has an idea, please help, as I am going to run the session tomorrow.Detailed or just a headline your help will be apratiated. I think that the cleric and the wizard can play wonderfull RP but I don't know how.

-Beware...
-Why?
-The storm gets closer...
-So?
-So beware...

Edited by - Lord Lysander on 09 Feb 2007 22:20:59

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  22:28:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the quickest way to guide to the Gem is giving them a map. If you mean a detail map I do not believe one exists and if adding a special you would need to adjust a map anyway.

Where is the mine?
Is it part of the citadel or is just the gem key there and mine is someplace else?

Providing maps still quickest way, however perhaps for RP reasons the map might indicate people or puzzles (answered by people perhaps) instead of an accurate and complete map that a Kobold with Int 3 can follow *wink*

You say you are on short time to have something, so quick way tends to be giving the answers or at least have answers easy to find by doing search or instructed by an NPC.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Lysander
Acolyte

Greece
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  22:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Lord Lysander's Homepage Send Lord Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mine is to the dalelands. Generally I am not searching for a hack n slash session. I am thinking to pass the party from some kind of quest to earn the keeper's trust in order to open them the caverns' doors. But what would that be?

-Beware...
-Why?
-So?
-So beware...
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  22:47:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Quest for Candlekeep, thr first thing that occurs to me is find a tome of some kind.

The tome being magical and perhaps alignment based as well. The tome itself might not matter all that much, it could matter more on how the tome is retrieved. Time is still short to do much for a quest, basic outline I am thinking about now is pointing the party to an afilliate of Candlekeep, though not public knowledge, that has the tome. Perhaps the Mad Mage of Windswept Island. The quest is in finding the Island, and the real test is how the Mad Mage is dealt with because a report will be sent to Candlekeep before the party can return with the tome. Thus the keeper will know in advance if the party can be trusted in the caverns.

Edit: Cleans up some keyboard errors (I think), i.e. typos.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."

Edited by - Kentinal on 09 Feb 2007 23:09:12
Go to Top of Page

Lord Lysander
Acolyte

Greece
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  22:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Lysander's Homepage Send Lord Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhhhhhh... I have not thought something like that. Wonderfull. Thanks a lot lad.

-Beware...
-Why?
-So?
-So beware...
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  23:16:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad I could help some, still not much time to do details (also is a risk your players might read this scroll) but it does strike me you clearly can Role Play most of the search by using NPCs, that will direct or misdirect depending on how they are interacted with.

It strikes me that the party will know of the Gem and sent to request access to it. After that it becomes more of how the party interacts with the keeper and people after that that might know about the Mad Mage or the Island (that may not be an Island) and so far. Outlines are easy filling details and posible reactions becomes harder, you will know the NPCs and how they might react to questions (manner in which asked, bargins offered, how the Innkeepers daughter is treated and so so *EG*).

Good luck.

Oh if others have ideas (in case players are reading) it might be useful to post them. A quick idea is not always the best one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000