Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for out of the way spot
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  11:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another one for the Border Kingdoms here. Also, what about Channath Vale in the bit NW of Dambrath, NE of Halruaa and S of Lake Lhespen? Damara, Vaasa, Narfell also.
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  14:34:59  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one word- chult!

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  16:05:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the Dragon Coast is your preferred choice, the second city Ed detailed for DRAGON (not published yet, but I suspect it will be before the end of 2007) is located in that region.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  16:07:00  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

MaxKaladin, how large a geographic area do you need to "roam around in" in the campaign?
It's hard to say. For what I have in mind, a nice chunk of mostly unsettled land to act as a frontier and a coupld of urban areas for other parts of the plot. If it weren't for the desire to get away from the region, Waterdeep and the North would be fine -- too large even. Of course, the PCs may decide to pull up stakes after the first session and head to Maztica for all I know.

quote:

If a lawless adventurers-galore caravan city will do as the centerpiece, how about Scornubel? (Features briefly in Ed's novels CROWN OF FIRE and [even more fleetingly] SILVERFALL, nice full map in 2nd Edition Realms boxed set, has Elturel and Hill's Edge and Iriaebor within reach, and lots of open country between.)
A few chapters of Ed's books will give you the "feel," you can change the rulers and play the politics however you'd like, and although nothing is certain, Ed doesn't know of any on-the-go projects that will rampage through it soon.
love,
THO

That's probably the area I'm going to go with if I don't bite the bullet and use the dales. It has a few cities plus a nice size chunk of mostly "empty" terrain to the south to serve as a frontier.

No rampaging plots is nice to hear. :)
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  16:59:25  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

as you wanted to use the Dales i got the feeling that you wanted a location in the "traditional" Realms, but with a little more room to breath so to speak.
Yeah, pretty much.

quote:

In that case the Dragon Coast, Vast or the southern part of the Western Heartlands would be my recommendations. The Vilhon Reach also makes for a good border area.
I looked at the Vast, but the RPGA has done so much there (via Raven's Bluff) I despair of ever digging up all the information. The Dragon Coast and the Southern part of the Western Heartlands are the leading areas at the moment. There's lots of wild space to their south. I hadn't thought much about the Vilhon Reach.

quote:

If you feel like trying a location more out of the way, with more new elements and intrigues, the lands near the borders of the Realms (Sossal, the lands bordering the Hordelands or the Shining South )make great alternatives. There is not to much done with Calimshan at this time either.
I expect my players would like it if I did, but I'm not really that keen on it at the moment. (I worry they'll decide to run off to Maztica, in fact).
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  17:09:32  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they do, make sure you have a horde of sahuagin or some other evil undersea race attack their ship. That is, after all, what happens to 1/3 of the ships travelling to and from Maztica .
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  19:38:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, most of the Vast information you would need can be gathered through Ed's Raven Bluff supplement for 2ed. and the old Forgotten Realms Adventures book. The Vilhon Reach has had little attention outside of the Vilhon Reach source-book and a few tidbits in other products. There are some details in novels, but nothing doing major changes as far as I remember.

I think the area of the Dragon Coast and Western Heartlands would be your best alternative though.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  09:02:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the Dragon Coast is your preferred choice, the second city Ed detailed for DRAGON (not published yet, but I suspect it will be before the end of 2007) is located in that region.
love,
THO

Oooh!

Any hints on which one? I've got a fair idea or three (based on carefully crafted words from Ed in the past) about which one it could be...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000