Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Custom Avatar Portraits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  11:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well Met fellow Scribes

For those who wish to show their own individual portrait ("avatar")

The image must be in the same fantasy portrait style as the current avatars available and as a 64x64 JPEG. You may also state whether you wish your avatar to be exclusive to you or if you would like to share it and make it available for selection.

You must send your avatar to either myself or the Candlekeep Webmaster using the email address to which your member name is registered and also state the member name to which the avatar belongs.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  20:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats JPEG?

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 25 Jan 2004 17:37:15
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  04:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a program Ezindir, it's a file format. Like BMP, TIF, etc. It's generally the most commonly used type of graphic format on the web, next to BMP. The difference between them is that JPEG format is compressed making the files sizes smaller, where BMP is not.
If you have any type of graphic editing program like Paintshop Pro or even the windows Paint program, you can open a digital image and save it as one of these file formats.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  13:15:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, one of the most surprising things I learned while working on some new 'tag' additions to a privately maintained Australian HTML version was that GIF images are the most widespread graphical file format. It surprised me because, nearly every compressed image one encounters on the internet is a JPEG file.

This then raises the question...Where are all the GIFs hiding...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  13:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen over the years, I think JPEGs are used for larger files, and GIFs for smaller ones where the compression doesn't make such a difference.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  13:39:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can agree with that. Although, I think it has more to do with the fact that JPEGs are the more recent format over the older GIFs, and that they maintain image quality at larger sizes much more accurately than the old style GIFs.

When the internet was still relatively new, and most of it's traffic was between the universities of the many different countries connected, GIF was the only image format used for most images that were sent over the net. Eventually with newer GUIs, the application of more sophisticated and complex image formats became not only available, but also very necessary given what people would choose to send over the internet.

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  14:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I am no good too formate pictures and such I will ask you if a picture made for BG and IwD charackters will work?( And I do mean the small pic.)

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:54:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking Ezindir. Are you talking about the images/portraits for your PCs that are included in both the Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale games...?

If you are, you'll notice that a number of images from these games already appear within the Candlekeep Avatar catalogue. In fact the avatar image you have at the moment is from BGII.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Sage, but he wants to use a custom avatar portait.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  13:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant a picture in the same size. Not the same image.
And I do of course know that my picture really is Hear'Dalis.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I can agree with that. Although, I think it has more to do with the fact that JPEGs are the more recent format over the older GIFs, and that they maintain image quality at larger sizes much more accurately than the old style GIFs.

When the internet was still relatively new, and most of it's traffic was between the universities of the many different countries connected, GIF was the only image format used for most images that were sent over the net. Eventually with newer GUIs, the application of more sophisticated and complex image formats became not only available, but also very necessary given what people would choose to send over the internet.

Well, if you look, you'll find that all the small images here on Candlekeep (such as the rank stars, the icons over a post, emoticons, etc.) are all in .gif format.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:51:07  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suddently got this urge to use Joneleth as my Avatar...

What!? Hes cool.

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  05:51:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, if you look, you'll find that all the small images here on Candlekeep (such as the rank stars, the icons over a post, emoticons, etc.) are all in .gif format.

Okay then, question asked, question answered.

I was actually thinking that anyway. Oh well...

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:09:36  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed,
but lets keep too the topic. Would it worlk with a picture in the same size as a baldurs gate pic. (Small one)?

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ezindir the dark

Yes, indeed,
but lets keep too the topic. Would it worlk with a picture in the same size as a baldurs gate pic. (Small one)?

Well met

If your picture is resized to 64x64 then it will be just fine, Ezindir the dark.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  00:59:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'll take this opportunity to ask...

Alaundo, did you ever receive the new 'image' for my avatar?. I only ask because I am curious to hear whether you think it is appropriate for a fine site such as we have here at Candlekeep.

Plus, with all the email trouble I've been having of late, it helps to actually hear from certain individuals, about whether they have received the mail I have sent out to them...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  03:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erm, I have avatar resizing issues. My picture is extremely big, and I only want o use the face, reduced in size of course. Sage, mayhaps you would be able to assist me in this endeavor? I could send you a copy of the picture if you would like to help.......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  03:40:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed...Feel free to send it, and I take a look at what I can do with it.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  03:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, but your e-mail address would be??? I can't send a picture over Candlekeep mail.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  06:46:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that...

Send it to - sageofperth@dragonlance.zzn.com

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  18:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its okey Sage. I am not mad or anything becouse i am now playing NwN, but when I am done withb it..... Just messing, but I am just making sure you have not forgotten me, and can I ask you the same as Shade, feel free too say no, but I have problems too, all I need is too resize I image so it fits in too Candlekeep, but the onley picture programm I have is paint, and I do not know how much 64 pixels are. You can also post an exsample picture if you want.

- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 30 Jan 2004 18:46:51
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  01:05:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, again feel free to send the image Ezindir. I have a number of image packages that I can use to help you, as well as a program of my own creation...

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  14:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes feel free too shear them with me. I tried too download photoshop, or was it Paint shop pro? No matter, I got problems anyway. I'l mail it too you, but can you tell me if you havent got it on friday?

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  19:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, the picture is sent. Many thanks, and good luck!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  02:23:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Luck'...I don't really believe in Lady Tymora's favor, but I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.

Anyway, I should have something for you soon. I must say though, it's a rather interesting image...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  02:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like. Its a picture of my deity, Vhaeraun, The Masked Lord. There he is in all his glory! Anyways, may The Masked God of Night watch over you, little gnome......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  04:08:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord, can I ask where you obtained this image from...For some reason it seems familiar...?

And what do you mean...'little gnome'...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  05:26:50  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I can't remember, though it is used throughout the internet. No disrespect meant Sage......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  12:27:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No...Around the net, is not where I've seen this image before...It's from somewhere else. I'll let you know if I find it...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  15:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. I'm not aware of any other place. However, I have another picture ready should anything go wrong with the first one.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nasher Alagondar
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  20:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nasher Alagondar's Homepage Send Lord Nasher Alagondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo, did you receive the custom avatar I sent over e-mail? I'm sorry my e-mail is not working correctly, so you can't send a reply, but please tell me if anything is wrong with the picture in this post, or if it is acceptable.

Many thanks.

"Very well, I am admittedly not as traditional in my methodology as you are. So what? The end result is all the same: target ceases to exist. If I happen to use a bit more flair, and a little less stealth to go about it, so be it. If drow were truly meant to skulk within the shadows, we'd not have stark white hair, now would we? Long gone are my days of creeping in the shadows and hiding in wait. Those means are for beings of a cowardly bent. We Bladesingers are risen above such dribble. So saying, it is boldly into the fray I shall go; if I should come to meet my maker, I will at least have done so with a sense of pride and dignity that your ilk will never truly understand. Now go back to hiding in your dark recesses, pathetic mewling...."~Vesz'aun Auvryath
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000