Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Realmslore Poll Part 3: Voting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  02:51:53  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
The following options are the nominated topics for future online Realmslore articles. Please see the two previous threads of this name for more information. A set of descriptions of each topic exists on the post following this one. Feel free to leave a comment after you place your vote.

So, which topic would you most like to see in print at WotC? Vote ye Sages of Candlekeep!

Choices:

The Mines of Tethymar
The Fey of the High Forest/Dessarin Vale
Faiths of Faerun
Historical Survey of the Imaskari Empire
Masters and Apprentices
Regional Magic
Ethnography of the Star Elves

(Anonymous Vote)

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 05 Feb 2007 13:31:48

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  02:58:44  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
The descriptions of each topic as they originally appeared for each nominator:

Option 1: The Mines of Tethymar
The Mines of Tethymar are an oft mentioned, but little described portion of the Forgotten Realms that appears in a region that gets the lion's share of print. How were the Dwarves of Tethymar distinct from other Shield Dwarves, and what are they doing today to retain their cultural distinctiveness? What materials did the mines produce, and how much yet remains? How might re-opening the Mines affect the regional economy? What manner of guardians or denizens prevent the re-opening/reclaimation of the mines?

Option 2: I would love to see an article on Fey involvement in the Realms, specifically, the High Forest/Dessarin Vale areas. Fey involvement in any area of the Realms would be great. Information such as their types and numbers, hierarchy, relations with Druids, Bards and elves. Whether they have formed alliances with any of these groups etc... Some Realms-specific info would be great!

Option 3: Faiths of Faerun
One deity would be done per month and consist 5 weekly

Week 1: History of the deity its place in the realms

Week 2: A temple of that deity (similar to the Spires of the Morning and The house of Firehair article in PoF)

Week 3: Organisation of the deities church (How is the church structured? Whose in charge? Who and where are its promineint leaders, Does the deity support Paladin or monk orders and if so where are the chapter houses and Monstaries)

Week 4: Heresy does the deity have any heresys? If so what are they? What do they believe in? What churches are infected with this heresy?

Week 5: Aspects of the deity: This would be primarily a crunchy article which would have stats for the deities aspect (CR 10-12) as seen in the Miniatures hand book. This weeks article would also include a couple of adventure hooks related to the deity and its church

Option 4: I would like to know more about the Imaskari Empire itself before it fell. I would also like to know more about the wizards who ruled it and their lasting impact on magic on Toril.

Option 5: Master's and Apprentices
Moreso than any other class, the Wizard presupposes the influence of a Master either in a school setting or the more traditional Master/Apprentice arrangement. DM's, thus are left with the work of creating this ambiguous teacher. Can we have a weekly article giving info on a wizard from a different region or city that is inclined to train wizards, what their interests are, what their prefered spells are, and how notable they are (i.e. if my PC says, "I was taught by so-and-so" does that mean anything to anyone but me?).

Option 6: Regional Magic
Of late, much has been said of stylistic differences in magic paralleling various regions, but little of much practical use. What spells are common to what regions? How do wizards of various regions differ in practice? Clearly such a distinction has been attempted via PrC's (Nar Demonbinder, Rauthmar Battlemage, Red Wizard, etc...) and with Feats (see Races of Faerun). Is there a simpler way that this could be handled?

Option 7: How about detailed information on the Star Elves. We had the introduction of this folk in severeal products now (mainly UE). But I would like to get to know them better, e.g. their history, racial tie-in with the rest of the elven sub-races, information on their home plane, the future outlook, costums, traditions, political structure and possible intrigues, the war with the nilshai, unique magics and so forth.

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  21:02:50  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
because I forgot to mention... polling will end in one week.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  22:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

because I forgot to mention... polling will end in one week.

Well met

My vote is in, and currently in second place

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  22:45:22  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ah, a fine choice! I myself voted for the fourth place contender.

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 05 Feb 2007 22:45:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  23:07:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I've placed my vote.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Feb 2007 23:07:50
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  23:09:54  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message
i'd go for either Imaskari or the elves, mainly cos of Deep Imaskar and the several elven subraces that are mentioned but never detailed. Put my vote for the elves.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  23:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
I went with the fey.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  00:35:06  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message
i voted for Faiths, but the fey is really interesting too. Can i have 2 votes please? *Diplomacy check* *Marquant Volker rolls 1* ...right Faiths it is then.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 06 Feb 2007 00:35:27
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  01:02:18  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

i voted for Faiths, but the fey is really interesting too. Can i have 2 votes please? *Diplomacy check* *Marquant Volker rolls 1* ...right Faiths it is then.

I know what you mean... I nominated Mines of Tethymar, but voted for Masters and Apprentices because I thought that it was a stronger topic for the web. I felt bad hanging my own brain-child out to dry....

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 06 Feb 2007 23:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  01:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
I voted for Faiths, but I would also really like to see something about the Mines of Tethyamar.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  02:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I really like them all, except for the star elves topic.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  05:35:57  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message
Hello-

When i was looking over the choices - a couple of things went through my head.

1) How useful would the potential article be for the greatest number of people? I asked this because it occurs to me that a detailed telling of the history of the Uthgardt Barbarians back to their Ruathym origins might be interesting, its usefullness would be minimal. For that reason *for me* #1,2,4,7 did not work as well for me.

2) If we would be getting this info via web updates, what sort of timetable would we be looking at? While I can be patient - there is something to be said about instant gratification! :) For this reason - I decided against #3 did not make my cut. However - it is NOT because I dont want the information. The way it was presented - it would take - oh about 5-6 Years just to get through the faerunian Pantheon (guessing a little) and I felt that was longer than I wanted to wait. :)

that left me with #5 and #6. Either would have been good - but ultimately I opted with #6 because I thought the scope of #5 might not have been broad enough to keep the article series going for more than a few installments.

Anyway - thats my thinking - in a nutshell!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  07:06:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I went with Regional magic, but most of these subjects I would like to see more on. Still hope for a few more votes on #6 though.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  10:01:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I really like them all, except for the star elves topic.

Well, apparently I am the only one... hehehe! C'est la vie!

BTW - what's with the Mines of Tethyamar? I remember that the topic got major support at the beginning. Ok, I was one of them as well and now I voted for my own contribution.... mmmmh?!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2007 10:04:30
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  10:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message
I voted for Regional magic, because I want more knowledge of how the different regions see spell casters, and
the different prestige classes.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  12:38:47  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message
I had to support my nomination, I always go with the Fey... All of these topics are great and would be information of serious interest to me... I especially like the Master and Apprentice, that's a great concept. Regional magic is also a great topic that could be handled in a web article. So many good choices and one small vote... sob! whaaaa...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  13:14:52  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

BTW - what's with the Mines of Tethyamar? I remember that the topic got major support at the beginning. Ok, I was one of them as well and now I voted for my own contribution.... mmmmh?!

My feelings exactly! I thought, "Hmmm... I don't really need to vote for MoT, lots of people will vote for that. I wanna vote for Masters and Apprentices." That's what I get for taking things for granted.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  20:04:07  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Wow, we've generated a lot of interest it seems! Granted, I took the liberty of advertising this poll on the WotC FR message boards and on the Realms E-mail list. However, in two days we have allready exceeded the participation of the next most recent Candlekeep poll! Looking at this poll now, there have been 87 votes cast, while the other (back on page 3 of the forum) shows only 75.

Great job guys!

Remember, the more participation we have in this poll, the more valid the results.

(Man! look at Regional Magic surge!)

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 06 Feb 2007 20:08:10
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  20:23:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:

Wow, we've generated a lot of interest it seems! Granted, I took the liberty of advertising this poll on the WotC FR message boards and on the Realms E-mail list. However, in two days we have allready exceeded the participation of the next most recent Candlekeep poll! Looking at this poll now, there have been 87 votes cast, while the other (back on page 3 of the forum) shows only 75.

Walker - the attention is well deserved bacuse this is a great project indeed. I do hope that it lives up to everyones expectations - that is actually seeing the most favorite topic in web articles over at the WotC site!

I keep my fingers crossed to evoke Tymoras blessing (for no matter what topic will make it!!!)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  02:25:05  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message
I just voted. Go Tethymar!

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  03:58:03  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
This just in:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Thanks, WalkerNinja. I will pass these on to Ed. My general feeling is that all of these topics are too "big" for Realmslore web columns (series, yes, though both Ed and the WotC web folks seem happiest with one- , two- , or three-part coverage of topics), but we'll see what Ed says.

Keeping this in mind, several posters had allready identified that the Faiths of Faerun topic seemed far too broad in scope. How might it, and some of the other proposed topics be "focused" in order to be more acceptable for a web article? I covet your comments.

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 07 Feb 2007 13:23:35
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  11:09:28  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
I voted for Faiths of Faerun. My second vote would have gone for the Star Elves.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  10:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message
I voted for Faiths of Farūn as well. It is an essential part of everyday life but IMO still not fleshed out enough.

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  21:13:59  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Allright, guys, voting is closed. If I could get a mod to lock this thread please? I'll be reporting the results of this thread to THO so that she may pass them along to Ed. Thanks for all the participation!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  22:32:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

If I could get a mod to lock this thread please?

'Tis done.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000