Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Turning Undead Variants, Which Should I Use?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  00:54:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Turning undead in 3.5 is absolutely insane, if just for the mechanics involved in the process. I've been thinking when I start up my next campaign, I may officially adopt some variant of turning undead, but I'm torn between what version of the ability to use.

The option in Complete Divine is likely the simplest one to use, which essentially just does damage to undead based on the level of the cleric, and undead with turn resistance lessen the number of die to roll for damage, and take half damage from the turning attempt if they make their will save.

While its a nice, simple option, it just doesn't feel "Realms" or "D&D" to me. The whole point has always felt like the unholy creatures are cowed by the power of the cleric's god, and flee, unless the cleric is REALLY powerful, in which case they just blow them to Kelemvor Come.

This leads me to another variant, from the SRD/Uneathed Arcana, which basically makes turning a level check, which the DC is determined by the undead's HD + Cha bonus + turn resistance (if any). If the cleric makes the check he can hold the undead paralysed if he concentrates, or if he makes the check by 5 or more, he can turn them if he wants. If the undead are 1/2 the hit dice of the cleric, he can still destroy them, and he can affect undead in a 60 foot radius up to three times his "turning level" (equal to the cleric level, or the paladin level -3 times three).

So, has anyone used either of these options, or have any opinions on how they would fit into the campaign? I was thinking of leaving it up to the player, or making it specific to the particular order of cleric (i.e. Lathander's automatically pick the damage option, etc), but I don't want too many variant abilities floating around, especially if one, in practice, works much better than the other.

Thoughts?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  02:47:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like, and use, the CD one. It's simple and easy and divine casters channel divine and positive energy, so it makes sense to me that it harms undead since undead, usually, are made/filled with negative energy.

However, if you use the CD version as written, I'd add the you can only turn so many times per day per charisma modifier that is in the PHB.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  05:05:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I'm torn. The Complete Divine one is so simple, its just "roll your damage," and then they can make their save or reduce the damage with turn resistance, and that is that. Its a really simple system and keeps everything flowing.

On the other hand, the other system just seems to be more along the lines of the traditional turning.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  05:44:29  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

being somewhat new to 3.5 - and not having run into turning really - what basically is the system that you are looking to replace? I know you mentioned it as being "totally insane" but i'm unsure if that is because it is difficult to use - or too powerful.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  05:49:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to the SRD version of the process:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  05:52:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno,

I like simple and the core turning gave me, and the players that were trying to learn it, a headache. So, we went with the easier rules but I added the Cha modifier, otherwise a cleric (less it got errata'd, which is why I said the as written part) could turn to many times for my liking.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Feb 2007 05:53:23
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  22:55:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definately agree that the original limit should be imposed if you use the "straight damage" system of turning.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  23:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have a look at both of those. I've never liked the turning rules as they are - SKR wrote a piece about it for his website http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/opinions/turningundead.html, which highlights the fact that it does nothing a lot of the time, but can completely swing an encounter if a successful roll is made. I agree with this assessment and would rather see something more balanced; I've been looking for an alternative for ages, yet seem to have not taken in the CD option and hadn't heard about the SRD one. The straight up damage one seems simple and in line with the idea of channeling positive and negative energy.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.

Edited by - Reefy on 02 Feb 2007 23:31:59
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  03:13:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The SRD optional version seems to be more in line with the philosopy of how d20 rules should work, with some task having a DC, and you rolling a d20 with all of your modifiers to see if you hit the DC, rather than rolling multiple dice and cross referencing a table, which seemed to be something that they were trying to get away from in 3rd/3.5, and ironically, the table for turning is even more complicated than the older 1st/2nd edition turining charts were.

But the straight damage one is still very tempting because it is what it is . . . its never really completely useless, regardless of level or relative due to PrCs or whatever, since it can always do some damage to undead, adding something to the encounter one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  03:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The damage-causing version doesn't appeal to me from a gameplay or setting perspective. Turning undead should be drastic, sudden, and unreliable. I like the 1E version.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  15:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I like simple and the core turning gave me, and the players that were trying to learn it, a headache. So, we went with the easier rules but I added the Cha modifier, otherwise a cleric (less it got errata'd, which is why I said the as written part) could turn to many times for my liking.

I'm going to adopt this variant, assuming my players are happy with it (and I can't see that they wouldn't be). I agree with you that it should still be restricted to a certain number of times per day.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000