Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Falx, Tarrasque, the Compendium, and Illithids
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  04:47:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I really like what Brian R James did with the Tarrasque's origin in his Compendium/Timeline work, but I was having a hard time with this, because I have always liked the Tarrasque "packs" roving around the surface of Falx in the Spelljammer setting, which implied that while there may only be one on each main "world," the creature wasn't a singular entity.

While one could go with the whole "parallel genesis" origin, that in each Prime material there just happened to be something that developed in several different worlds at one time. But I think I have a more interesting angle bouncing around in my head now.

So, in trying to reconcile this, a few "new" developments clicked once thinking about some 3.5 material. One of the things pointed out in Practical Planetology is that the creatures on the surface of Falx don't look exactly like the standard Tarrasque.

Okay, in the Lords of Madness book its been noted that Illithids are travelers from the futures. What if Falx was a "test world" where the illithids did experiments, one of which was an experiment to to create "temporal clones" from alternate realities of the Tarrasque. In other words, one of the reasons that the Falx Tarrasque might not look just like "the" Tarrasque is that they come from slightly different timelines.

Thus, the original Tarrasque could indeed have the exact origin that Brian detailed in his timeline, but Illithids could have done temporal experiments to create duplicates of this creature by "mining" the timestream.

Yeah, I know, not of critical importance, but I had to write it out to keep it straight in my own head . . .

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  05:00:22  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

While the reference to the Tarrasques on Falx sounds somewhat familiar - I dont recall it completely. :)

Otherwise - I was able to follow your thoughts quite well - and it made sense to me.

Let me just say - I think you single-handedly contribute the most fresh new ideas here - along with minor adjustments to different things to get the to work together - as well as helping fit non-FR items into the setting.

Good Job!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  05:14:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just love rattling off the top of my head about the Realms. Thanks for the compliment. Heck, half the time I look at my stuff that I have written and think, "wow, you used a lot of words to express wants amounts to a fairly pointless comment," but I do really appreciate what you said.

That having been said, I think Spelljammer had some really interesting ideas, and truth be told, not only do I like the setting, but I get ideas from things outside of the genre proper, like the Teen Titans "The Future is Now" TPB, which had the Fatal Five recruiting new members by finding alternate versions of themselves in other timelines.

I also remember the old Dragon Magazine article, from back in 1st edition, which showed some illithid bred creatures and illithid experiments to extinquish the sun and that article really cemented for me that illithids really should be "long view/big picture" villains in a campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  05:45:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff.

We think alike, I often try to fit stuff from different setiings/myths/books into my image of the 'multiverse'.

Frinstance - In the Night below boxed set, there are 'instructions' on how to place the module in the Realms. There is a race of subterranean Elves called the Rockseers that appear in that product, who are NOT Drow but have many 'Dwarven' qualities. The write-up for them specifically states that they "Fled from the wrath of Corellon Larethian like cowards" and entered the Underdark.

Well, I figure, if they do exist in the Realms, then they are most likey the lost Green Elves of Miyeritar who shared that realm with the Dark Elves. After seeing what happened to their Ilythiiri cousins, they most likely ran after them underground thinking that they too would be punished. Also, the canon states that there were other Green Elves in the south that worked with the Dark Elves, particularly the ones that sacked Eiellūr after the Ilythiiri defeated that nations armies. It would not be unreasonable to assume that those too would have gone into hiding.

This will probably never ever come into play in my or anyone else's campaign, but like you I try to make sense of everything.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  08:46:50  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Good stuff.

We think alike, I often try to fit stuff from different setiings/myths/books into my image of the 'multiverse'.

Frinstance - In the Night below boxed set, there are 'instructions' on how to place the module in the Realms. There is a race of subterranean Elves called the Rockseers that appear in that product, who are NOT Drow but have many 'Dwarven' qualities. The write-up for them specifically states that they "Fled from the wrath of Corellon Larethian like cowards" and entered the Underdark.

Well, I figure, if they do exist in the Realms, then they are most likey the lost Green Elves of Miyeritar who shared that realm with the Dark Elves. After seeing what happened to their Ilythiiri cousins, they most likely ran after them underground thinking that they too would be punished. Also, the canon states that there were other Green Elves in the south that worked with the Dark Elves, particularly the ones that sacked Eiellūr after the Ilythiiri defeated that nations armies. It would not be unreasonable to assume that those too would have gone into hiding.

This will probably never ever come into play in my or anyone else's campaign, but like you I try to make sense of everything.

That's some good stuff Markustay. I had wondered in the back of my mind what happened with some of the other morally-ambiguous elves involved in the Crown Wars. I like this interpretation a lot.

It sure is neato to fit new stuff into the Realms! You guys are masters of the trade.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  20:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I just love rattling off the top of my head about the Realms. Thanks for the compliment. Heck, half the time I look at my stuff that I have written and think, "wow, you used a lot of words to express wants amounts to a fairly pointless comment," but I do really appreciate what you said.

That having been said, I think Spelljammer had some really interesting ideas, and truth be told, not only do I like the setting, but I get ideas from things outside of the genre proper, like the Teen Titans "The Future is Now" TPB, which had the Fatal Five recruiting new members by finding alternate versions of themselves in other timelines.

I also remember the old Dragon Magazine article, from back in 1st edition, which showed some illithid bred creatures and illithid experiments to extinquish the sun and that article really cemented for me that illithids really should be "long view/big picture" villains in a campaign.

KnightEJR, your insights are always welcome. You teach me so much more about obscure Realmslore by posting your interesting subjects. Keep doing it! It helps to get me interested in new realms topics that I have little experience with.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000