Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What race do you play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3066 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  04:57:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, half-elves are my true love. But some of my favorite characters have been the river spirit-folk kensai (2nd edition), the elven illusionist (3rd), the changling bard/rogue, and, of course, my dwarven cleric (formerly rogue) Thredorik Trapspringer (no relation to Dragonlance, just the name he picked up and the reason he stopped being a rogue a became a cleric).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  06:40:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ahhh, half-elves are my true love. But some of my favorite characters have been the river spirit-folk kensai (2nd edition), the elven illusionist (3rd), the changling bard/rogue, and, of course, my dwarven cleric (formerly rogue) Thredorik Trapspringer (no relation to Dragonlance, just the name he picked up and the reason he stopped being a rogue a became a cleric).

I played a kensai during second edition... Gods, he was fun. Weapon specialization and two-handed style specialization meant he often got both attacks off before anyone else got their first!

Sadly, as with most of my characters, he only got used for a few sessions. I never got to go into his personality all that much...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Dec 2008 15:47:11
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I love to play Humans.

I know that is a little boring, but I can relate easily to them.

I don't think humans are boring.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  07:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play whatever suits the concept, but mostly dislike playing Underdark player races.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

224 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  13:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm the first hin player. I normally DM. But when I have a chance to play I often run a rogue/merchant halfling. Good with a bow and always looking for a business venture.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
908 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  14:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Matt James's Homepage Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Dwarves but have always migrated to Humans for the most part. That is, when I am not DM'ing.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Drakul's Homepage  Click to see Drakul's MSN Messenger address Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow

Realms of Roleplaying *We are recruiting DMs/GMs and Players*
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Realms_of_RPG/index.php?act=idx
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:47:51  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I guess I'm the first hin player. I normally DM. But when I have a chance to play I often run a rogue/merchant halfling. Good with a bow and always looking for a business venture.

I've wanted to utilise a hin PC... because Tom Reid made the "Hin Fist" a very intriguing concept in Shining South.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  15:04:53  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often pick humans and I've had a long-running elf character, but dwarves have a special place in my heart. My all-time favorite PC was Dain Firebeard, a 2e Ftr/Clr. He was awesome. Very much the stereotypical dwarf.

Current PC is Belkar (named after the OOTS character), a dwarven rogue, and less conventional. The other dwarves rib him about his rapiers not being good dwarven weapons, and not doing a lot of damage. As he points out, you just have to know where to stick them. Fight smarter, not harder.

At one time we had four dwarves in the party, and one female half-elven sorceror. She got the nickname Snow White.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  16:01:50  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never pick the same race, there's too many options, not much time, right now it's eladrin (noviere-ghaele-coure, not 4e)

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
520 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  13:33:19  Show Profile  Visit GRYPHON's Homepage Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the characters in our game are fey'ri. Makes for interesting interactions with most other races.

Edited by - GRYPHON on 13 Dec 2008 13:48:10
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  17:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomes, because the Forgotten Folk need a hero to keep those tall folks on their toes. (Beware of the trickster for he shall prank you when you least expect it!)

*Chuckles* Well as much as I like playing gnomes, I usually only get to play humans or dwarves with the rare elf. Never really got to play the more powerful races often, but I would have to say I'd pick an aasimar to play due to the fact of semi-angelic nature they carry about themselves. Plus being able to do amazing things with the feats in the Races of Faerun would be interesting to say the least for a character concept.

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  18:33:15  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

Gnomes, because the Forgotten Folk need a hero to keep those tall folks on their toes. (Beware of the trickster for he shall prank you when you least expect it!)

Yeah, one should never sell them short.

When we played through a campaign that finished up with the City of the Spider Queen, our gnome sorceror, Gnerbert, was the only character to start at first level and make it all the way through to the end.

In the final battle, we had to go up through a hole into the room where the high priestess was waiting for us. She was buffed to the max, and spoiling for a fight. The paladin went up, and was slain instantly. My cleric went through, and I rolled a 3 on a save vs destruction. Bye-bye Andrei Silescu!

I was fit to be tied. After all the months of crap we had been through--assaulting the outpost, trekking through the underdark, dodging giants in the city, assaulting the castle, moving through the tower--to fail now was just unthinkable. And what did we have left to face Her Evilness? A halfling rogue and a gnome sorceror...

The rogue managed to slip in without dying instantly, but she fell soon thereafter. The gnome sorceror popped in, and made his saves against the drow's killing magics. He tried a couple of things against her that didn't work, because of her SR and massive protective spells. Then, in desperation, he cast prismatic spray. He made it past her SR, and rolled for the random effect: Poison, the one thing she wasn't protected from. She failed her save, and bam! With a howl and a shriek she was dead.

And little Gnerbert was the last man gnome standing.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  20:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

When we played through a campaign that finished up with the City of the Spider Queen, our gnome sorceror, Gnerbert, was the only character to start at first level and make it all the way through to the end.

In the final battle, we had to go up through a hole into the room where the high priestess was waiting for us. She was buffed to the max, and spoiling for a fight. The paladin went up, and was slain instantly. My cleric went through, and I rolled a 3 on a save vs destruction. Bye-bye Andrei Silescu!

I was fit to be tied. After all the months of crap we had been through--assaulting the outpost, trekking through the underdark, dodging giants in the city, assaulting the castle, moving through the tower--to fail now was just unthinkable. And what did we have left to face Her Evilness? A halfling rogue and a gnome sorceror...

The rogue managed to slip in without dying instantly, but she fell soon thereafter. The gnome sorceror popped in, and made his saves against the drow's killing magics. He tried a couple of things against her that didn't work, because of her SR and massive protective spells. Then, in desperation, he cast prismatic spray. He made it past her SR, and rolled for the random effect: Poison, the one thing she wasn't protected from. She failed her save, and bam! With a howl and a shriek she was dead.

And little Gnerbert was the last man gnome standing.

*Chuckles* I will have to remember this story to add to the others I keep dedicated to gnomes.

I remember I used to have a gnome warrior that always got rediculed about his stature. With a taunting joke and a few seconds later my gnome would be standing over the very humiliated tall fellow laying on the floor beaten and say, "Hey while you're down there mind cleaning my boots?"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

Good one!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  14:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not currently a player in any game world, but very few of the campaigns I've played in allowed anything other than a standard race. I've never been in a P&P campaign that would even allow Drow PC's; much less anything more exotic. The only thing unusual I've played was my first Forgotten Realms pc (who started as a generic campaign pc and was grandfathered in when we set up permanent shop in Faerun); a Half-Valley Elf Bard (first edition). Tarlek Flamehair the Half-Elven is still one of my all time favorites. I miss him sorely.

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Belorin
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  05:21:15  Show Profile  Visit Belorin's Homepage Send Belorin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly DM, but have played mostly humans, a few half-elves, a Moon elf and a minotaur.

Bel

Unlike most Wizards Belorin did not start by studying under another Wizard, matter of fact he didnít start out as a Wizard at all, but as a Warrior. Orin as he was called then had studied weapons under his father, Dorn Aldus, a blacksmith and former Captain in the Kingís Army.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1754 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  16:00:59  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In ten years I remember playing with humans (2-3 times, from Thay, Silverymoon, and one a Scylvendi from nonFR books), a half-elf (Elventree), a pothead wild dwarf, a rock gnome, a dhampyr, a half-daoine sidhe, about five elven characters (this wins but I'm bored with them now), a daelkyr-halfblood, a yuan-ti, a kamerel, a proto-gith, an adu'ja (plant), an axiomite (currently, from Golarion's Beyond).
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Seeker

25 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  10:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaotic good Half-Elf from Aglarond for me :)

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1136 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  13:07:25  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted to play a githyanki, raiding the astral plane on a red dragon mount while controlling expert martial, psionic and arcane skills.

In the realms I have played dwarves, halfelves, elves and humans. I gravitade to elves because of their awesome history and traditions in Fearun (heroic elegant archetypes). Dwarves because they make great no-nonsence axefighters and when I like to play up a rigid Clan mentality (fearless lawful types). I play humans when I want to emphasize a rebellious lad who breaks free of a strong clan-like mentality (brave chaotic types).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  20:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically play humans since they do not have level limits and can dual class (with high enough scores of course).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  21:06:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

I typically play humans since they do not have level limits and can dual class (with high enough scores of course).

And with that statement, we now know what edition you play.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  00:17:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I have always wanted to play a githyanki, raiding the astral plane on a red dragon mount while controlling expert martial, psionic and arcane skills.
The older PLANESCAPE supplements offer some intriguing alternatives for playing the gith races.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Seeker

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  12:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to choose Elves because of the historical and cultural aspects, although these days the only games around (my area) are 4E and so I have tried out a couple of the "reimagined" races (Dragonborn, Deva) to test my own prejuduce against them... although those were in core games.

About to start in on the LFR with a Moon Elf, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  20:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer Lupins (when I'm allowed to use them); when not, it's either a human or a dwarf.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000