Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What race do you play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  13:33:19  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the characters in our game are fey'ri. Makes for interesting interactions with most other races.

Edited by - GRYPHON on 13 Dec 2008 13:48:10
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  17:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomes, because the Forgotten Folk need a hero to keep those tall folks on their toes. (Beware of the trickster for he shall prank you when you least expect it!)

*Chuckles* Well as much as I like playing gnomes, I usually only get to play humans or dwarves with the rare elf. Never really got to play the more powerful races often, but I would have to say I'd pick an aasimar to play due to the fact of semi-angelic nature they carry about themselves. Plus being able to do amazing things with the feats in the Races of Faerun would be interesting to say the least for a character concept.

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  18:33:15  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

Gnomes, because the Forgotten Folk need a hero to keep those tall folks on their toes. (Beware of the trickster for he shall prank you when you least expect it!)

Yeah, one should never sell them short.

When we played through a campaign that finished up with the City of the Spider Queen, our gnome sorceror, Gnerbert, was the only character to start at first level and make it all the way through to the end.

In the final battle, we had to go up through a hole into the room where the high priestess was waiting for us. She was buffed to the max, and spoiling for a fight. The paladin went up, and was slain instantly. My cleric went through, and I rolled a 3 on a save vs destruction. Bye-bye Andrei Silescu!

I was fit to be tied. After all the months of crap we had been through--assaulting the outpost, trekking through the underdark, dodging giants in the city, assaulting the castle, moving through the tower--to fail now was just unthinkable. And what did we have left to face Her Evilness? A halfling rogue and a gnome sorceror...

The rogue managed to slip in without dying instantly, but she fell soon thereafter. The gnome sorceror popped in, and made his saves against the drow's killing magics. He tried a couple of things against her that didn't work, because of her SR and massive protective spells. Then, in desperation, he cast prismatic spray. He made it past her SR, and rolled for the random effect: Poison, the one thing she wasn't protected from. She failed her save, and bam! With a howl and a shriek she was dead.

And little Gnerbert was the last man gnome standing.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  20:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

When we played through a campaign that finished up with the City of the Spider Queen, our gnome sorceror, Gnerbert, was the only character to start at first level and make it all the way through to the end.

In the final battle, we had to go up through a hole into the room where the high priestess was waiting for us. She was buffed to the max, and spoiling for a fight. The paladin went up, and was slain instantly. My cleric went through, and I rolled a 3 on a save vs destruction. Bye-bye Andrei Silescu!

I was fit to be tied. After all the months of crap we had been through--assaulting the outpost, trekking through the underdark, dodging giants in the city, assaulting the castle, moving through the tower--to fail now was just unthinkable. And what did we have left to face Her Evilness? A halfling rogue and a gnome sorceror...

The rogue managed to slip in without dying instantly, but she fell soon thereafter. The gnome sorceror popped in, and made his saves against the drow's killing magics. He tried a couple of things against her that didn't work, because of her SR and massive protective spells. Then, in desperation, he cast prismatic spray. He made it past her SR, and rolled for the random effect: Poison, the one thing she wasn't protected from. She failed her save, and bam! With a howl and a shriek she was dead.

And little Gnerbert was the last man gnome standing.

*Chuckles* I will have to remember this story to add to the others I keep dedicated to gnomes.

I remember I used to have a gnome warrior that always got rediculed about his stature. With a taunting joke and a few seconds later my gnome would be standing over the very humiliated tall fellow laying on the floor beaten and say, "Hey while you're down there mind cleaning my boots?"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

Good one!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  14:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not currently a player in any game world, but very few of the campaigns I've played in allowed anything other than a standard race. I've never been in a P&P campaign that would even allow Drow PC's; much less anything more exotic. The only thing unusual I've played was my first Forgotten Realms pc (who started as a generic campaign pc and was grandfathered in when we set up permanent shop in Faerun); a Half-Valley Elf Bard (first edition). Tarlek Flamehair the Half-Elven is still one of my all time favorites. I miss him sorely.

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Belorin
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  05:21:15  Show Profile  Visit Belorin's Homepage Send Belorin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly DM, but have played mostly humans, a few half-elves, a Moon elf and a minotaur.

Bel

Unlike most Wizards Belorin did not start by studying under another Wizard, matter of fact he didn’t start out as a Wizard at all, but as a Warrior. Orin as he was called then had studied weapons under his father, Dorn Aldus, a blacksmith and former Captain in the King’s Army.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  16:00:59  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In ten years I remember playing with humans (2-3 times, from Thay, Silverymoon, and one a Scylvendi from nonFR books), a half-elf (Elventree), a pothead wild dwarf, a rock gnome, a dhampyr, a half-daoine sidhe, about five elven characters (this wins but I'm bored with them now), a daelkyr-halfblood, a yuan-ti, a kamerel, a proto-gith, an adu'ja (plant), an axiomite (currently, from Golarion's Beyond).
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  10:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaotic good Half-Elf from Aglarond for me :)

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  13:07:25  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted to play a githyanki, raiding the astral plane on a red dragon mount while controlling expert martial, psionic and arcane skills.

In the realms I have played dwarves, halfelves, elves and humans. I gravitade to elves because of their awesome history and traditions in Fearun (heroic elegant archetypes). Dwarves because they make great no-nonsence axefighters and when I like to play up a rigid Clan mentality (fearless lawful types). I play humans when I want to emphasize a rebellious lad who breaks free of a strong clan-like mentality (brave chaotic types).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  20:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically play humans since they do not have level limits and can dual class (with high enough scores of course).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  21:06:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

I typically play humans since they do not have level limits and can dual class (with high enough scores of course).

And with that statement, we now know what edition you play.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  00:17:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I have always wanted to play a githyanki, raiding the astral plane on a red dragon mount while controlling expert martial, psionic and arcane skills.
The older PLANESCAPE supplements offer some intriguing alternatives for playing the gith races.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  12:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to choose Elves because of the historical and cultural aspects, although these days the only games around (my area) are 4E and so I have tried out a couple of the "reimagined" races (Dragonborn, Deva) to test my own prejuduce against them... although those were in core games.

About to start in on the LFR with a Moon Elf, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  20:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer Lupins (when I'm allowed to use them); when not, it's either a human or a dwarf.
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  01:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just honest to Moradin hate humans with every fiber of my being. or at least 85% I think they are just about the worst excuse for a sentient goodly race in all of faerun. There small minded, selfish, petty, untrustworthy, shortsighted, pig headed, arrogant, fool hardy, Barbarians and the breed like orcs. Self styled masters of the universe.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  04:14:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  04:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  08:34:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I've probably answered this elsewhere, but my fave to play? Anything elven, though I'm rather partial to drow especially. I also love all half-elves, and I'm starting to really like my gnomish evoker/alchemist. (He likes to blow things up!!) I've played a few humans, and I have a pair of half-dragons I LOVE to play (always together- they're twins and WILL NOT ever really separate).

Not really fond of dwarves (too serious and stoic), or halflings (I'm short enough IRL, WHY would I play something that much smaller than I already AM?!) I do like lycanthropes and catfolk, though!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  21:29:03  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Human

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  21:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a tough call for me. Was really a toss up between half-orcs and teiflings, 4e variants in both cases. I like them both because of racial discrimination they face, the look and feel of both races, and I like playing them against expectations without going straight for the opposite end of the spectrum into full on marysue territory. In the end I went with half-orcs because at the end of the day I prefer more physical characters.

I'm also partial to several of the 4e races; I like dragonborn, goliaths, and shifters.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  22:28:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I'm also partial to several of the 4e races; I like dragonborn, goliaths, and shifters.

Goliaths and shifters were both in 3E. Goliaths were in one of the Races of books (Races of Stone, prolly), and shifters were intro'ed in the Eber-whatsit setting.

There was a race called dragonborn in 3E, but they aren't related to the 4E ones. I've never done a side-by-side comparison to see if it's a reimagining or just another recycled name. The 3E dragonborn were intro'ed in Races of the Dragon.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  22:33:25  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. And STILL not as good as my trusty old 2nd ed half-dragons!!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  22:57:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Yup. And STILL not as good as my trusty old 2nd ed half-dragons!!

True. 2E half-dragons were cool, though there were some nice features about the 3E ones, as well. I think the ideal half-dragon would blend both versions.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  23:03:40  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True dat.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  00:15:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Goliaths and shifters were both in 3E. Goliaths were in one of the Races of books (Races of Stone, prolly), and shifters were intro'ed in the Eber-whatsit setting.
Goliaths were a new race introduced into the D&D core rules in Races of Stone. There's a brief overview about them here on the WotC site. Champions of Valor also offers several locations around the Realms [referenced on pg. 17] for inserting goliaths into an FR campaign. The section also provides suggestions for how goliaths came to be, in the Realms.

As far as actual "canon" information on goliaths in the Realms, the Expedition to Undermountain adventure also mentions a settlement in the depths of Undermountain:- the Murkstones, which has a small population of goliaths, along with some other Underdark races.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  01:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm. I had known about shifters and dragonborn being in 3e but didn't know about goliaths. Thanks for the info.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  13:28:36  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vast majority if my characters are human. I think I just like the diversity and, at least in part, the way other races react to them. I love drama. I have a fey'ri, an elf, a half-elf, and a drow. I just adore my drow. She's such a cute little hypocrite.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  20:37:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of them are, lol!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  00:28:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! Surely mine eyes deceive me... Brynweir has returned.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000