Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What race do you play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  23:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow FTW!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  18:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to play the Chondathan race. As to species, well, humans, almost always, with the occasional Hobbi ... er ... halfling.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  00:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves mostly. Vampires at other times . . . for, what I hope, are fairly obvious reasons!

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  02:17:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When have you ever played an elf? Its almost always been vampires with you...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  10:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the more 'obscure' races, it seems more common to play lower level campaigns and hence characters with higher ECLs are less common.

I nearly always play a human, though I've fallen in love with Drow since reading Starlight and Shadows and WotSQ recently. And I'm literally head over heels with my Drow Beguiler, who sadly never got a chance to run around Waterdeep for very long (think he made it form his room to the inn before the campaign had to close)

I've also been wanting to try a half-giant (stone) for a long while, and have one (a fighter/cleric of tempus with a spiked chain) that I'll be playing shortly in Reefy's campaign
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  18:14:55  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well when i am not behind the screen, i play humans, they are the most flexible race after all
Go to Top of Page

BeastlyIrishman
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  00:59:06  Show Profile  Visit BeastlyIrishman's Homepage Send BeastlyIrishman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always play Dwarves, sometimes Azer or Human, I just love the Dwarven culture and the way the don't take any bs from anybody, Drow are overrated and I'm not a big fan of the Surface Elves
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  03:21:30  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomes. I've always had a special place in my heart for gnomes, and not the stereotypical punchline gnomes either.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  23:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost always play half-elves as they have the best of both worlds.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  00:26:58  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally prefer to play humans, mainly because they don't have the racial-cultural "baggage" of the demihuman races, and therefore seem to allow for a greater diversity in character. In other words, it's easier (for me) to play a human who happens to act like a dwarf, than a dwarf who acts like a human
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  19:49:05  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play elves most of the time, with half-elves being next most common. It seems like halfings don't get any love on here!
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  20:46:36  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost always a GM(DM, except dungeons tend to get excluded in my games), so my player characters are indeed rare, and most of them have been human.

It should be noted, however, that on a strong second place comes 'half-orc', or any other 'savage' race of humanoids, for me.

Edited by - Amarel Derakanor on 07 Dec 2008 20:50:07
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  21:53:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love to play Humans.

I know that is a little boring, but I can relate easily to them.

As a second pick, I like Half-Orcs and other partially human (but non-elven) races. I played a Half-Ogre once that was a blast!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  21:58:53  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves , followed by humans or gnomes.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  23:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically prefer to play humans, but have always wanted to play in Kara-tur so I could play as a hengeyokai... possibly hare or rat, just because.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  23:40:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I typically prefer to play humans, but have always wanted to play in Kara-tur so I could play as a hengeyokai... possibly hare or rat, just because.

I always wanted to try a hengeyokai, too.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  23:59:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I always wanted to try a hengeyokai, too.

As have I, though I've never been able to craft a party that would compliment such a character, effectively.

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  01:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play computer games only, but FWIW my choices are typically human and half-elf. But I will add that I particularly enjoyed playing a half-orc cleric-thief. Enough that I decided to start work on a BG2 NPC mod for the character.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  01:17:57  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gravitate to elves. Current character is spun off of a wild-elf tribe I detailed for a PnP campaign as a DM. He has the wild-elf cultural upbringing, with a seven-year crash course in civilization from the House of the Harp in Silverymoon. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  04:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was almost always DM until 4E. As a PC I usually play Humans but I have a Dwarf PC that I use a lot in one 4E campaign.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  04:57:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, half-elves are my true love. But some of my favorite characters have been the river spirit-folk kensai (2nd edition), the elven illusionist (3rd), the changling bard/rogue, and, of course, my dwarven cleric (formerly rogue) Thredorik Trapspringer (no relation to Dragonlance, just the name he picked up and the reason he stopped being a rogue a became a cleric).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  06:40:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ahhh, half-elves are my true love. But some of my favorite characters have been the river spirit-folk kensai (2nd edition), the elven illusionist (3rd), the changling bard/rogue, and, of course, my dwarven cleric (formerly rogue) Thredorik Trapspringer (no relation to Dragonlance, just the name he picked up and the reason he stopped being a rogue a became a cleric).

I played a kensai during second edition... Gods, he was fun. Weapon specialization and two-handed style specialization meant he often got both attacks off before anyone else got their first!

Sadly, as with most of my characters, he only got used for a few sessions. I never got to go into his personality all that much...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Dec 2008 15:47:11
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I love to play Humans.

I know that is a little boring, but I can relate easily to them.

I don't think humans are boring.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
725 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  07:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play whatever suits the concept, but mostly dislike playing Underdark player races.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  13:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm the first hin player. I normally DM. But when I have a chance to play I often run a rogue/merchant halfling. Good with a bow and always looking for a business venture.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  14:20:01  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Dwarves but have always migrated to Humans for the most part. That is, when I am not DM'ing.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:13:28  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:47:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I guess I'm the first hin player. I normally DM. But when I have a chance to play I often run a rogue/merchant halfling. Good with a bow and always looking for a business venture.

I've wanted to utilise a hin PC... because Tom Reid made the "Hin Fist" a very intriguing concept in Shining South.

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  15:04:53  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often pick humans and I've had a long-running elf character, but dwarves have a special place in my heart. My all-time favorite PC was Dain Firebeard, a 2e Ftr/Clr. He was awesome. Very much the stereotypical dwarf.

Current PC is Belkar (named after the OOTS character), a dwarven rogue, and less conventional. The other dwarves rib him about his rapiers not being good dwarven weapons, and not doing a lot of damage. As he points out, you just have to know where to stick them. Fight smarter, not harder.

At one time we had four dwarves in the party, and one female half-elven sorceror. She got the nickname Snow White.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  16:01:50  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never pick the same race, there's too many options, not much time, right now it's eladrin (noviere-ghaele-coure, not 4e)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000