Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What race do you play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  14:40:28  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I'm just wondering which race is the most frequently used :)

Mod edit: Realized after someone mentioned it that this poll was on the wrong shelf.

Choices:

Human
Elf
Dwarf
Halfling
Gnome
Half Elf
Half Orc
Aasimar
Tiefling
Genasi (air, water, fire, earth) please specify
something else
I''''m only a Game Master

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jan 2007 20:34:46

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  14:42:24  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play a gnome transmuter. I really like playing one of the small folk. It's also the first time that I play something different than a human in a large campaign (Once I played a drow elf in an evil mini campaign and a goblin shaman in a one day adventure)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  16:44:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like playing half elven wiz/rog
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  16:49:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a DM, but human would be the race of choice if I were to play. Gnomes on second. Come to think of it, anything but the Outsider races.
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  19:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either a dwarf (a typical one at that) or a human, usually evil.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  20:56:44  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarf all the way baby!!!!

Axe Idiot's Rule!!!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  21:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm usually DM, but when I play it seems humans are the most common. I do like half elves though.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  03:27:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not played since the days of 2E... But I had a preference for half-elves, back then. Close to human, but they still got the infravision.

I played a couple of elves, several humans, and I kept trying to play a dwarf (every time I tried, the campaign died quickly). Halflings and gnomes have never appealed to me; I actually had to specifically decide to include these races in some of my recent hooks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  04:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing as this is being asked in the Forgotten Realms Computer Software forum, is this thread asking what race we prefer to play in computer games such as the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and NWN series?

In the BG games (and Single Player NWN2, if I can find ever time to return to the OC which I haven't finished) I tend to prefer humans and half-elves. I've found that time management for playing is a lot easier with a Single Player game than being a player in a NWN persistent world. I just don't have the time commit to regular gaming session with a group of players, either as a player of DM.

One can DM in the NWN series. As I mentioned I don't DM in-game in NWN, but I'm very interested in the development side of NWN persistent worlds. I like detailing the setting's lore, conceiving central storylines, and building with the toolset. Those things I can find time to work into my schedule, and/or work on as the mood strikes me.
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  20:14:18  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Lemernis, I put this poll in the wrong chapter :-(
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  20:35:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boddynock

Sorry Lemernis, I put this poll in the wrong chapter :-(

I failed to notice that, myself... But 'tis now corrected.

Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  22:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to be quirky and prefer to play the underdog. This varies from DM to DM but among my crowd can often mean human.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  23:06:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly DM these days... though when I've had PCs, they almost always been gnomes -- Rastromo Meradoc is afterall, a gnomish Sage.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  00:00:41  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnome, almost 4 times out of 5... love 'em!
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  05:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mainly playing elves but its only the lack of gamegroups (and willing DM's) that does that i haven't ran some of my alternative gnomes and dwarves ... one of my more interesting ideas is a dwarven envoker

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  08:22:16  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually go for human, in all kinds of classes, though fighter is kind of a favorite.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  09:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A human thief... burglar, assassin... Poison, backstabbing and pick pocketing. Yearh.. a human thief!

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Skydancer
Acolyte

Belgium
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  11:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Skydancer's Homepage Send Skydancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally I play dwarfs... all sorts of them.
But now I play something completely different... an elf

"One should not be overly fond of famous swords and knives. Even if one has a sword valued at 10,000 coins, he will not overcome 100 men carrying spears valued at 100 coins."

- Asakura Toshikage
Go to Top of Page

Grimbolt Hammerhand
Acolyte

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  12:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Grimbolt Hammerhand's Homepage Send Grimbolt Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like nobody plays one of the rather unusual races like the ones mentioned in the Psyonics Handbook or in the Planar Handbook
Go to Top of Page

Grace
Acolyte

Belgium
5 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  18:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Grace's Homepage Send Grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play an Aasimar (I just like being the good guy)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  18:43:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimbolt Hammerhand

Seems like nobody plays one of the rather unusual races like the ones mentioned in the Psyonics Handbook or in the Planar Handbook

Well, as I've mentioned before, one of my fave characters was a minotaur... Of course, this was under 2E rules; I've not played since before 3E was even announced.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  19:40:12  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am only a DM now, but I am very fond of aasimar.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  23:27:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have.

Dromites have featured prominently in the latest stage of my extended SJ/PS campaign -- I've altered their historical details somewhat (they're now mostly Diamond Fox-styled planar merchants who wander the Phlogiston). Given their natural curiosity about other lands and races, and their inherent caste system, I thought they'd make an intriguing addition to a campaign as a race of "curious wandering merchants."

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  23:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sun Elves are my favorite race to play.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  01:04:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I have.

Dromites have featured prominently in the latest stage of my extended SJ/PS campaign -- I've altered their historical details somewhat (they're now mostly Diamond Fox-styled planar merchants who wander the Phlogiston). Given their natural curiosity about other lands and races, and their inherent caste system, I thought they'd make an intriguing addition to a campaign as a race of "curious wandering merchants."

Diamond Fox, huh? That sounds so familiar...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  01:21:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, with all the name changing -- Sea Foxes, Diamond Sharks, and then back to Sea Foxes again... it seems like the easiest course to follow.

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  14:31:10  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I'm talking about!!

quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Dwarf all the way baby!!!!

Axe Idiot's Rule!!!

Delz

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  14:43:54  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves have a special place in my heart. The skill, history, tenacity,toughness, and work ethic all appeal to me. I've wound up with humans as my PCs in 3.X, but I love to play a wise, common sense, trustwothy, tough, well educated Dwarf. I think a dwarven cloistered cleric/fighter character would be a blast to play. Dwarven rogue/fighter and rogue/caver characters would be intriguing as well.

Gnomish rogues are cool too.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  19:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elf is the most frequently used in my campaign. It is exotic without being so rare that it is unrealistic.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  21:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cloistered cleric/fighter ... isn't that allmost something that can't fit together ... cloistered cleric is basicly a cleric that aren't that aggessive and more diffent from a paladin

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  23:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since my gaming group usually consists of 10 year olds and people who have never heard of a tiefling in the life, I'm the DM...Eh...But as a player I've played every race at one time. As such, I really love Elvis.

EDIT: Sorry, typo...I meant ELVES!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush

Edited by - Aglaranna on 18 Jan 2007 23:07:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic