Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sava
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have the rules for this game by the dark elves ever been documented? My searches so far haven't yielded anything.

I have a couple of requests for the sages here.

1. Can anyone with Drow of the Underdark tell me if there is anything on the game in there.

2. Any suggestions where references, however minor, might be found.

I'm considering, if it hasn't already been done, trying to create the rules for the game of sava , based on as much information as I can possibly find. I have the war of the spider queen books as a good start

Thanks all

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:31:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall sava ever being properly detailed in either DotU or the Menzoberranzan boxed set.

I do remember that Pharaun does, briefly, go over the particulars of the game in Dissolution, as I recall. The details are located on pgs. 47 and 48 of the hardcover.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jan 2007 03:35:41
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should also mention that I'm considering two approaches to the game.

The simplest comparison is with our chess set (but with the 'Queen' being the piece to take, i.e. a matron mother), and the roll of the dice covering the same rules as stated.
quote:
Once per game, each player could forgo his normal move to throw the sava dice. If the spider came up on each, he could move one of his opponent's pieces to eliminate any man of its own color within its normal reach, a rule that acknowledged the dark elves' propensity for doing down their kin even in the face of a serious external threat

Some of the corresponding pieces are also obvious, Priestess - bishop, Wizard - knight, Warrior-castle and Orc Slave Soldier-pawn.

The other approach will be more complicated, but so long as there is nothing in the lore stating that the game *isn't* like this I'll go ahead. Instead of a number of pieces, there is only one of each type of piece. Each one will have special rules to be decided, but likely will be important parts of drow society (similar to the different classes in stratego). The board will also be web based, with movement done per 'node', i.e. where the webs join
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:37:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason I am thinking that the board was circular or web shaped, but I can't remember the exact reference. Ryld also mentions that while he loved playing Sava, and it was greatly strategy based, that there was a randomized element to it that most drow loved, though the random chance aspect of it was the thing that he liked the least of the entire game.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:39:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

For some reason I am thinking that the board was circular or web shaped, but I can't remember the exact reference.
That was in Dissolution -- web-shaped boards.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly I don't own a copy of Hordes of the Underdark any more for NWN, but if anyone has played it recently and can remember any taverns visited there that might be helpful .
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  10:52:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thought, to go and write/find rules for the sava game. Could it be helpful to go and ask Ed or RAS?

Anyhow, keep up the research for I am very interested indeed. I will try to be more helpful in search in the future!

Until then, I would like to point out that there was a variant of our modern Chess game discribed in DRGON issue #100 called DRAGONCHESS (by Gary Gygax). It has three levels (upper, middle & lower board).

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Jan 2007 18:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  19:40:50  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean, one is playing on three different boards at the same time and if you lose on one you lose on all?

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  09:43:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

You mean, one is playing on three different boards at the same time and if you lose on one you lose on all?

IIRC the goal is the same as it is in the 'common' chess game - to
checkmate the opposing King. However, it is more complicated for the game develops on three levels with some of the figures (but not all) being able to move from on board to the next (that is up and down).

Edited by - Ergdusch on 08 Jan 2007 09:52:03
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  04:16:29  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is "sava" a strictly drow game? I am reading, "The Alabaster Staff," and two private guards were playing the game instead of being vigilant. It mentions something about dice and gambling also, I'd have to go back and re-read the section to get the details. This took place in chapter 8, I dont' want to put any spoilers in my post, but I did notice they were playing "sava."

Faerun Roleplaying
http://www.faerunrp.com/forum/index.php
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  04:22:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I initially felt that Sava was a dark elven game, and when I mentioned it in my campaign, one of my player's character, a dwarf, who often went to have conversations with a drow prisoners, learned how to play it. I played it up as something that some people with connections in the Underdark might know about, such as dwarves, svirfneblin, duergar and the like.

The problem is, I have seen a few references to Sava since I first read about it. I sometimes get the feeling that its used as a reference to a "Realmsian" board game, in lieu of a few other Realms board games that we know about. It would be good to get a bit more of a definitive origin of the game from a lore perspective.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  09:43:43  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawfire

Is "sava" a strictly drow game? I am reading, "The Alabaster Staff," and two private guards were playing the game instead of being vigilant. It mentions something about dice and gambling also, I'd have to go back and re-read the section to get the details. This took place in chapter 8, I dont' want to put any spoilers in my post, but I did notice they were playing "sava."

I do rember that as well, now that you mention it. First mention of the game (and it is spelled out: sava) is in Chapter 7, page 88 in actually.

the other mentioning about the game is in Chapter 8, page 94 and reads: "Pony up. It's my roll."

Now what do we make out of that?

1. At least that it is not a game of the drow exclusively - at least not anymore, KEJR.
2. And that it has to do with rolling the dice, which I think is mentioned above already - the chaotic element to the game that drow like so much but Ryld doesn't?!?!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Jan 2007 09:47:58
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  14:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we can still assume it was created by drow. I'd also imagine that, whilst it's an interesting game, it probably has far more interest to a drow than to any other race, given that it is, in a sense, an embodiment of their society, and perhaps the non-underdark races (like humans) just wouldn't 'get' it on that level.

The fact that you may roll a dice once a game is a given. We know Ryld doesn't like the random element in the game (he has expressed on occasion the need for structure, and Pharaun has admonished him for blaspheming hehe), but I wonder how much respect is garnered for the player who wins a game without resorting to a roll of the dice. Whether he is respected for his skill alone, or looked down on for not 'trusting to chaos'.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  14:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now for some quotes from Dissolution (wotsq novels). I don't believe there are any spoilers here (apart from mentioning the characters) but if a mod feels then please do edit this post :).

quote:
Still, Pharaun was amused to see that his friend's eyes lingered
on the web-shaped sava boards for an instant, which was likely all the time he required to analyze
the four contests in progress.

I retract my earlier statement about sava being drow in origin, it is entirely possible that it was brought to the underdark from elsewhere, and modified by the drow (and likely claimed as their own hehe) as below

quote:
Sava was an intricate game representing a war between two noble Houses—at least that was
what it currently represented. Pharaun had seen an antique set that recapitulated in miniature the
drow's eternal struggle with another race, but such pieces had gone out of fashion long before his
birth, probably because no player had wanted to be the dwarves.

However this is most certainly a drow modification, though gives no clue as to how hard it is to get the 'two spiders'
quote:
With its gridlike board regulating movement and its playing pieces of varying capacities, sava
resembled games devised by many cultures, but celebrating the chaos in their blood the drow had
found a way to introduce an element of randomness into what would otherwise unfold with a
mechanical precision. Once per game, each player could forgo his normal move to throw the sava
dice. If the spider came up on each, he could move one of his opponent's pieces to eliminate any
man of its own color within its normal reach, a rule that acknowledged the dark elves' propensity
for doing down their kin even in the face of a serious external threat

The playing pieces

quote:
Pharaun, who privately considered himself cleverer than Ryld, had always been a little
chagrinned that he couldn't defeat the weapons master at sava., but alas, his friend wielded
mother, priestess, wizard, warrior, orc slave soldier, and dice as brilliantly as he did a sword.

Particular playing materials

quote:
In three more moves, his onyx
wizard and orc would trap and mate his opponent's carnelian mother.
As usual, he had accomplished his victory without recourse to the dice. Truth to tell, those
clattering ivory cubes with the magically warmed images incised on the faces were the one aspect
of sava he didn't like. They interjected blind luck into what should be a contest of pure cunning.

and confirmed

quote:
The hulking swordsman stood pondering a sava board, where
he'd set up a problem with the onyx and carnelian pieces.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  14:26:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the drow love of chaos, I'm surprised the dice aren't used more often than once per game per player. Especially since -- unless those dice are not standard 1d6s -- there's only a 1 in 36 chance of being able to move one of the opponent's pieces.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  15:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Considering the drow love of chaos, I'm surprised the dice aren't used more often than once per game per player. Especially since -- unless those dice are not standard 1d6s -- there's only a 1 in 36 chance of being able to move one of the opponent's pieces.

My thoughts exactly. They make quite a big deal of a player rolling the dice to early in the game and wasting an opportunity in one of the descriptions of a running game, and to me a 1/36 chance of something happening is hardly reliable, or even that valuable.

The way it is written implies that the use of the dice is more of a game-turning strategy, one that shakes up the structure of the game (not literally) enough to change the winning side.

The only possibilities could be other outcomes of dice rolling (doubtful) or different die to d6 used. The text implies that the dice can be used to the effect we know, and only that effect when two spiders are rolled. However one of the other lines states that there are symbols (plural) incised into the dice, though how many and how varied is unclear
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  15:21:45  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minor note: I believe the game is pronounced sa-VA, similar to the french expression ca-va, (or possible SA-ver) (short er sound). Does anyone have any opinion on this?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  17:13:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

My thoughts exactly. They make quite a big deal of a player rolling the dice to early in the game and wasting an opportunity in one of the descriptions of a running game, and to me a 1/36 chance of something happening is hardly reliable, or even that valuable.

Exactly. Giving up a chance to move for a 2.8% chance of a favorable outcome? I'd only do that if there was absolutely no hoping of winning, or if I'd just donated a million gold pieces to the nearest temple of Tymora.

Me, I'd do something like have the dice rolled every turn, and only a particular combination or number would allow for a reroll. The number on the reroll would dictate the results, with these as some of the results:
Nothing.
Get an extra throw of the dice.
Get an extra move for one of your minor pieces.
For an opponent's piece (either minor or major) to make a move of your choosing.
Or -- for real fun -- for one of these results to be reversed, with your opponent getting the benefit, not you.

That would seem more reasonable, to me at least, for a race that loves chaos -- to inject as much as possible into a game.

Of course, one possibility is that the game was originally described with those options -- but they were either trimmed out for pacing or dropped for word count.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  22:44:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, thanks Kaladorm for refreshing my memory. This gets me to thinking. Its possible that this might have been another race's game. Dwarven boards might look more like geometric patters (hexagons or octagon within on another, more angular and precise than a web). This also got me to thinking. In the WOTSQ books, the element of chaos factor was almost listed as a temptation to chaos loving drow. If dwarves played this game as well, they might well use the random "chaos" to teach just the opposite lesson.

In other words, drow are told to favor chaos and be bold and "go for it." Dwarves might use the loss of a turn for a chance at success as a lesson on remaining steady and not deviating from a good plan, and perhaps as a lesson about greed and getting ahead quickly with less work as opposed to doing things the "right" way.

This is kind of interesting to me in that you have two races with nearly diametrically opposed viewpoints that might both play a game with the same rules, and use those rules as object lessons in a different way.

For what its worth, if dwarves also play Sava, its possible that any references to humans and other surface dwellers playing the game might be the "dwarven" version of that game, since dwarves are a lot more likely to be introducing their games to humans and other races than drow would be.

Of course all of this gets me really curious as to the "actual" origins of the game itself.
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  00:27:37  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Knowing Drow, they are probably 2 sided dice!

flip a dice, get spiders!

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  00:42:08  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, seeing as the dice are described as "cubes," they're most likely six-sided - but who's to say there's only one spider per die?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  13:32:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The playing pieces
quote:
(...)mother, priestess, wizard, warrior, orc slave soldier, and dice (...)

Particular playing materials
quote:
(...)onyx and carnelian pieces.

First, thanks for the quotes - really a big help! Great!

Second, these are the infos from Dragon issue #100 on the DRAGONCHESS game - just so we can compare - regarding:

The playing pieces
Each force on the upper board consists of six Sylphs, two Griffons, and one Dragon.
On the middle board, each side possesses one King, one Mage, one Paladin, one Cleric, two Heroes, two Unicorns, two Oliphants, and twelve Warriors.
On the lower board is made up of six Dwarves, two Basilisks, and one Elemental.
In all, there are 42 pieces per side, or a total of 84 pieces in the game.

The playing Board
playing surface for DRAGONCHESS is a three-tiered structure of rectangular boards, with each board composed of a grid 12 squares wide and 8 squares deep.

and Particular playing material
opposing forces are designated as Gold and Scarlet, Gold always moving first.

Third - reading the above I doubt that sava is related to the DRAGONCHESS game in any way. If sava had somhow three levels it would have been stated, I believe. Further, a piece as unique as a 'Dragon' would have been mentioned by Pharaun for sure. And moreover, a game so complex would be expensive to build and therefore I doubt that usual guards (as in 'the alabaster staff') could affort such a game.

Just to through in some stuff to muse about....

quote:
Originally posted by TobyKikami

Well, seeing as the dice are described as "cubes," they're most likely six-sided - but who's to say there's only one spider per die?

Exactly my thinking!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  13:49:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW - if sava was so 'common' in the realms than why did they not include it in the list of games in FRCS (p. 96)?

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  13:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great quotes there Ergdusch thanks. Also TobyKikami very well pointed out that they do indeed use d6's.

KEJR, as I read it the dwarves did not have this element of the game at all. It says clearly that the drow found a way to introduce the chaos into what would otherwise be a purely strategic game, implying that they modified it. That is if indeed we assume it was a dwarven game and not perhaps simulating the war between the drow and the grey dwarves, which I see as more likely. Thats what I believe the reference to 'other games' means, however I also believe the text says that the drow version is not the only version, so we know it's not just them that play it, but I think assuming it was dwarven in origin might be a bit of a misinterpretation (though could well be correct).

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  08:49:58  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might be wrong, but do you remember the old Menzoberranzan boxed set? There was several map in it and one of them was a map with all twenty higest ranking houses symbol's all set up in a giant spider-web. I instantly thought of that map when i first heard mention of save in Dissolution. Maybe that the board is like that...Only speculating here.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  05:03:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great quotes there Ergdusch thanks. Also TobyKikami very well pointed out that they do indeed use d6's.

KEJR, as I read it the dwarves did not have this element of the game at all. It says clearly that the drow found a way to introduce the chaos into what would otherwise be a purely strategic game, implying that they modified it. That is if indeed we assume it was a dwarven game and not perhaps simulating the war between the drow and the grey dwarves, which I see as more likely. Thats what I believe the reference to 'other games' means, however I also believe the text says that the drow version is not the only version, so we know it's not just them that play it, but I think assuming it was dwarven in origin might be a bit of a misinterpretation (though could well be correct).

Good point. For some reason when I read through that my brain skipped right over the statement that the drow added the element of chance. Hooray me for running off on a tangent without digesting all of the information at hand
Go to Top of Page

Sheepz
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  10:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Sheepz's Homepage Send Sheepz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been searching for information about sava for a while myself, and I found two sites that show some information about them.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dksbzwn_0fvchhthm

In that site it is stated that one could choose to roll the dice every turn, that however there is a 75% chance that nothing happens, and thus it is quite risky (in the nature of the drow...). The dice that are mentioned on this site are 8-sided, rather than 6-sided, and also provides some possible tactics. And how the game would start.

It is ofcourse just one site, but it is definitely worth checking.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  11:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys! That was interesting!

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  19:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sheepz

I've been searching for information about sava for a while myself, and I found two sites that show some information about them.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dksbzwn_0fvchhthm

In that site it is stated that one could choose to roll the dice every turn, that however there is a 75% chance that nothing happens, and thus it is quite risky (in the nature of the drow...). The dice that are mentioned on this site are 8-sided, rather than 6-sided, and also provides some possible tactics. And how the game would start.

It is ofcourse just one site, but it is definitely worth checking.

That's better than the project I saw once on the net. Much better. I think I'll save it somewhere for future reference.
BTW it would be great to see a flash game based on it...

EDIT: Bump. Anyone know if there's a sava game on the web?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Zireael on 01 Oct 2011 11:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  17:39:39  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do agree that it would be entertaining to make an online game based upon the rules in that doc.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  00:05:32  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The eight-sided dice makes more sense to me than normal six-sided ones. Spiders have eight legs, after all, and that number might be considered more "lucky" or important to drow for that reason. Like the number seven being found in craps because it has so many correspondences elsewhere. Just a thought. Also, I have done something like this with a game I created for my own realm- a drow card game called "Eight-Legs". It's like Blackjack mixed with Hold 'Em, but one must gain a higher multiple of eight in your hand than your opponents to win the round. The rules are mostly the same as in Blackjack, except that instead of trying to get closest to 21 without going over, everyone tries to get the highest multiple of eight that they can out of their hand of five cards. (Or seven if one plays a seven-card version). You can discard and/or redraw once per hand, but only discard two cards at most. You don't have to redraw, but it can mean the difference between winning and losing the round.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000