Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  16:26:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Freyar, your query has gone off to Ed. In the meantime, here's are MY beginnings of an answer to you:
The Phaerimm are a race, not a monolithic "collective mind," so inevitably, they have a wide variety of motivations. You have hit upon ONE of the reasons they lash out: the pain and negative effects they feel from some Weave use. Others include the frustration of being imprisoned, and in some cases attempts to fry the minds and seize the bodies of strong spellcasters, to try to "escape into them" and thus win free of imprisonment. Other Phaerimm have other origins (elves or Netherese or powerful latter-day human mages adopting Phaerimm form) and therefore may have quite different motivations.
This lore comes from playing under Ed [hmmm, given my reputation, I suppose I should rephrase that]] and talking with him over the years, not from discussing your specific question.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  23:00:08  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

To Ed, First off are psyhic poisons used in your realms, if so would they be considered new forms of poisons or rediscovered ancient forms of poison? Can you elaborate on the process/ritual of creating such a poison, say an area poison. If PC's stumbled upon someone in the act of preparing/casting Red Unlyn, what would they witness?
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  02:20:02  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
THO, thanks very much for your thoughts! That, of course, makes quite a bit of sense, and I look forward to hearing from the master of the Green Wood.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  23:18:11  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
THO,

When I was at Pentacon this year, I asked Ed the outward differences from an Amnian and Sembian, as they are both rich mercantile countries that value coin seemingly above all else. Ed provided a very nice separation of the two cultures. From your experience as a player in Ed's game, how would you describe the differences between Amn and Sembia's wealthy merchant folk in looks and behaviors?

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 13 Dec 2007 23:20:39
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  23:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
P.P.S.: Has everyone seen the gorgeous ANNOTATED ELMINSTER yet?

Yes I got mine just the other day! I tore into it, sadly that is literal. If you have a barcode sticker on the back of your book and are very meticulous with your books like me and you try to remove it be VERY VERY careful, the cover is porous so the sticker's bond is very strong.

After I shed a tear for my ripped back cover I moved on to leafing through it looking at all of Ed's marvelous pictures! I look forward to Christmas when I will have time to begin reading through it cover to cover.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  01:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Yes I got mine just the other day! I tore into it, sadly that is literal. If you have a barcode sticker on the back of your book and are very meticulous with your books like me and you try to remove it be VERY VERY careful, the cover is porous so the sticker's bond is very strong.

Yeah, I noticed that myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  01:29:53  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
P.P.S.: Has everyone seen the gorgeous ANNOTATED ELMINSTER yet?

After I shed a tear for my ripped back cover I moved on to leafing through it looking at all of Ed's marvelous pictures! I look forward to Christmas when I will have time to begin reading through it cover to cover.

I too tried to carefully remove the sticker and also torn the cover.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  04:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I'm back with yet another in my endless flood of Cormyr questions. Courtesy of a very beautiful lass who stopped me in Toronto today to ask directions. She had driven to the city in her parents' car from a small rural village, with lots of cash, to go Christmas shopping in the big shiny city.
Which got me to thinking: how common is it in Cormyr for the wealthier merchant families based in towns and villages to travel to the big cities themselves to shop? (As opposed to buying from passing peddlers and caravans, the local "order things in" shops, and their own trade contacts and business partners.)
Addendum: if there's a sudden rage for this new item or that new fashion in Suzail, how quickly does it spread to, say, Espar? Or be heard of, out near the Hullack Forest?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  04:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I've got my copy of ANNOTATED ELMINSTER, and: nice, very nice. WotC should have done this with Ed's books long ago.
Goodness knows they've done enough different Drizzt editions.
Think what we would all have gained if they'd told Ed to write a new short story they could stick in with, say, STORMLIGHT (or, heck, revise and expand the book), and given it a new cover and republished it every ten years or so. With Ed revising and expanding each book, every time. If they're going to chase bigger sales, that's the way to do it.
I mean (wishing no ill on anyone) what if something happens to Salvatore tomorrow? They should have been pushing Ed and Elaine and Paul Kemp and Steven Schend and etc etc YEARS ago, to have a whole stable of "replacements" ready. The news about Ed's father chilled me; what if it had been ED we lost? Where was Plan B?
Are you listening, Books Publishing people? Please?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  06:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I have a few questions that I've had in my mind for a little while. I'm currently playing a character in Cormyr. (Melisande, a noble wizard of some power (~9th level), who appears to have Mystra's favour, and has recently been recruited into the War Wizards herself)...

First up, I'd like to know roughly how many War Wizards there are in Cormyr. This is a point of curiosity on my behalf. How many recruits would they get in a year?

Secondly, what is Caladnei likely to know about each one individually (like any skeletons in their closets or what have you)? How much would Vangerdahast have told her about War Wizards recruited before she became the Royal Mage? This doesn't really impact my character, since she never knew Vangerdahast, and was recruited by Caladnei herself when it became apparent that Melisande's interest in magic wasn't just a passing fancy, and that she really did have some ability... Not to mention her loyalty to the crown was pretty much proven (Melisande is loyal to the crown, but her primary allegiance is to Myrmeen Lhal and the city of Arabel - would this be considered a flaw?).

Lastly, what kind of a reception would a noble wizard get if she wanted to try to set up a university/academy of magic in, say, Arabel? This is Melisande's current pet project, so it would be interesting to see what your take on the matter is.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  18:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
THO for Ed,

Has Elminster ever visited Sigil, the City of Doors? If so, did he have any interesting experiences there?

-- Agnitio
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  18:55:42  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Agnitio Veridicus

THO for Ed,

Has Elminster ever visited Sigil, the City of Doors? If so, did he have any interesting experiences there?

-- Agnitio

Good question!

Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  19:48:08  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO, I have a Realmslore question, if I may. To what extent are bounty hunters or law enforcers respected between Cormyr and the Dales?
Various Dales and Sembia?
(I can imagine what the situation is between Cormyr and Sembia.)
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  20:03:12  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, I see from my current publishers' catalogues that DARK LORD is out in audiobook form already, and I recall that your Tor books all appeared as audiobooks, too.
Do you know why TSR and now Wizards don't do audiobooks of your works? Or have I just somehow missed seeing them?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  20:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Having heard Ed do readings on several occasions, and knowing that he used to read books for the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) on a volunteer basis, I don't know why Wizards doesn't get ED to do his works as audiobooks!
I also (of course!) have a Realmslore question of my own: Ed or THO, how often did the Knights face "brute" monsters, and how often did they face intelligent human or humanoid foes (organized groups and plots)? I'm not asking for precise percentages here, I'm just curious as to "mix" used by Ed as a DM in the Realms (and I'd put guardian monsters or automatons used by intelligent foes, or even bands of orc or other monstrous thugs hired by the intelligent baddies, in with the baddies).
Sideline q: how often did the Knights face truly "wandering" monsters?
Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  20:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi, another Realmslore question from me, too.
I've just spent several days running around buying food (chestnuts, dark chocolate, shrimp rings, mincemeat, Brie cheese) for use in various holiday recipes.
Which got me to thinking: for "special" meals (religious observances, festivals, family tradition rituals, coronations, etc.), how many "special dishes" (e.g. cakes) can be purchased ready-made, or made to order if you arrange beforehand, from shops? Or do people have to "make their own" from painstakingly-assembled ingredients everywhere but in the largest cities?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  20:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Hello again Ed and lovely THO,
Reading Terry Pratchett's recent sad news made me wonder: does Ed have a "Contingency Plan"? Meaning . . . if (the gods forbid) something bad happens to Ed, what then?
Yes, Wizards owns the Realms, BUT . . . are there unpublished Ed novels waiting in the wings? Non-fiction screeds waiting to be published as farewells or "last looks" from Ed?
Or is this a subject that must remain mysterious? (I am aware that some will find it in less than the best of taste.)
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  21:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
And in the fine old tradition of burying the overloaded Ed in questions, questions, and more questions about the Realms, I, too, have another:

How "safe" are the roads within the borders of Cormyr? The southern heartland, I mean, including Immersea and Dhedluk and Waymoot, not north of there or in the West Reaches or near the Hullack Forest.
Would small families dare to walk along them, and camp by night? Lone men? Would children playing be allowed near caravan roads?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  22:05:07  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:

THO for Ed,

-- Agnitio

Good question!

Yes, this is indeed an excellent question. This Purple Dragon Knight would like to know as well, and also extend the question to every major Realms NPC as well (i.e. "has Elminster or any other Realms NPC visited Sigil, has affiliations/contacts there, etc.")

I remember from "Grand Tour of the Realms" that Evereska had somekind of College of "Plane-Hopping" wizards; it would be certainly interesting if this College campus owned real-estate in Sigil...

Gold Elf Teacher: "Fourth year students, congratulations. You have made it this far. Please report to the Evensong Wing for classes Monday morning. As fourth-year privilege, you can now bring your familiar, if you own one, to your classes; any magical item you can carry; and you are now allowed food and drink in moderation. You will also need to procure, at your own cost, a platinum dolphin figurine of dimensions ranging from 3 to 8 inches. A limited supply of last year's 5-inch dolphins are still available from the school art custodian, at the cost of 950 gp, but you are free to bring your custom-made creations if you prefer a more personalized, (read: more easily trackable by magic) dolphin. As you have guessed, this is made of durable material as this item may be used on a daily basis. Do not lose this dolphin. See you in a tenday.

Students: "But wait!"
"Where is Evensong Wing?!?"
"Will this dolphin be used as spell focus?"

Teacher: Direct all your questions to the school Headmaster. I recommend one of you be elected as class representative not to bore the Headmaster with the same questions over and over. The dolphin is not a focus; it's a portal key."

Students: [gasp!]
"I have heard of this Evensong Wing... I think it's in a pocket plane accessible somewhere on the school grounds..."
"I think it's in another plane actually..."
"Another plane, really? where? Arborea? not the Green Fields I hope?!"
[shudders...] "I realllly hope it's not in the Green Fields... youn really can't concentrate with all these halflings around...]
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  03:37:03  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:

THO for Ed,

-- Agnitio

Good question!

Yes, this is indeed an excellent question. This Purple Dragon Knight would like to know as well, and also extend the question to every major Realms NPC as well (i.e. "has Elminster or any other Realms NPC visited Sigil, has affiliations/contacts there, etc.")

I remember from "Grand Tour of the Realms" that Evereska had somekind of College of "Plane-Hopping" wizards; it would be certainly interesting if this College campus owned real-estate in Sigil...

Gold Elf Teacher: "Fourth year students, congratulations. You have made it this far. Please report to the Evensong Wing for classes Monday morning. As fourth-year privilege, you can now bring your familiar, if you own one, to your classes; any magical item you can carry; and you are now allowed food and drink in moderation. You will also need to procure, at your own cost, a platinum dolphin figurine of dimensions ranging from 3 to 8 inches. A limited supply of last year's 5-inch dolphins are still available from the school art custodian, at the cost of 950 gp, but you are free to bring your custom-made creations if you prefer a more personalized, (read: more easily trackable by magic) dolphin. As you have guessed, this is made of durable material as this item may be used on a daily basis. Do not lose this dolphin. See you in a tenday.

Students: "But wait!"
"Where is Evensong Wing?!?"
"Will this dolphin be used as spell focus?"

Teacher: Direct all your questions to the school Headmaster. I recommend one of you be elected as class representative not to bore the Headmaster with the same questions over and over. The dolphin is not a focus; it's a portal key."

Students: [gasp!]
"I have heard of this Evensong Wing... I think it's in a pocket plane accessible somewhere on the school grounds..."
"I think it's in another plane actually..."
"Another plane, really? where? Arborea? not the Green Fields I hope?!"
[shudders...] "I realllly hope it's not in the Green Fields... youn really can't concentrate with all these halflings around...]

PDK,

I must confess your little classroom interaction has me wanting more. What happens in the class next?

You painted a nice picture!

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  04:06:10  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
The fourth year class rep goes to the Headmaster with a list of questions. The students eventually find that the portal to Evensong Wing is the archway leading to the entrance to the library (coincidentally, the school art custodian is the last door to the left *before* the said archway, where fourth year students and college staff and alumni can leave their platinum dolphin for safekeeping whenever they wish to enter the library without activating the portal; those owning a bag of holding or similar extradimensional safehold can also place the dolphin in there and enter the library normally, with no risk of activating the portal).

The students eventually pass the archway bearing their individual dolphin. They are whisked, one by one, to a very narrow alleyway. The sky is dimly lit with an orange-like witchlight, and the air carry the acrid smell and taste of large forges or smelters operating in the distance. The end of the alley opens on a semi-busy street. The students are immediately stricken with panic: strange humanoids, mind flayers, bands of roving haflings shining heavily in the nine magic spectra, a half-red dragon couple holding hands, six androsphinxes debating a matter of trade, a squad of heavily armored humans, [gasp!] tieflings or half-fiends dressed in the livery of nobles!, and finally, with some students falling to the ground, knees buckling: a platoon of 30 baatezu marching in the street in a neat, three-deep formation!!!

Some of the students at the rear, recently arrived and having not witnessed the parade, motion to the others to come over to inspect a strange rune on the wall. A student versed in linguistics, noting the ancient patterns, quickly chants a password he learned during his studies, and the strange rune morphs to a series of modern Espruar letters: "Five times Five houses left on the left, Dolphin high thou enter, Dolphin low thou return."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
As I settle in front of my television set, with a blizzard raging outside and football players clashing on snowy fields on the screen, I am moved to ask Ed or THO:
Are there any team sports (aside from mock battles or real raiding/fighting) that are played in Cormyr, outside, in the winter? In the snow?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hmmm. That one moves me to ask something, to: are there any sort of sports contests (aside from duels, wrestling, tavern fights, and gladiatorial stuff in known arenas) played INSIDE Faerunian cities? I.e. that don't involve going outside the walls to find a field?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Okay, then, that spurs me on.
Are there any sports or competitions-for-public-entertainment hosted or sponsored by temples, or nobles? (That occur in cities, I mean.) I'm not thinking of duels or settling disputes with fights, but real sports.
Thanks.
BB
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:09:53  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
"Real" sports? As in, gambling on the results of games/matches? Uniforms? Fans of competing teams or sides?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000