Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  18:42:31  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Can you tell us what kinda of coin the top chefs in Waterdeep are able to command for their services?

Can you please provide a some details ona few of these said chefs/cooks?

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  04:00:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, AlorinDawn. Forwarded to Ed, of course, but I thought I'd share what little I can from my play notes:
In Waterdeep, a "hearthmaster" [archaic: "master of the kitchen"] is what we modern real-worlders would call a "chef."
A "carver" is what we would call a sous-chef, whilst "bakers" are just "bakers."
Most chefs own their establishments, take all the profits, and then pay their staff, their taxes and city fees, and their suppliers. A few work for eateries and clubs, and usually charge a minimum of 25 gp/day (meaning: mid-morning until early the next morning), plus 12 gp/day for each carver they insist on bringing with them (15 gp for bakers or butchers). From that minimum, rates go up to 45 gp for the "top names."
Nobles and rich merchants wishing to hire hearthmasters to do a feast (what we would call "in-home catering") typically have to pay them 75 gp for each day of the event, plus 25 gp for each skilled underling (carver) the hearthmaster insists on bringing. This is just a base salary; food costs, servers, etc. are all on top of that, not paid by the hearthmaster. The rate is high because they are hiring the hearthmaster away from regular work, and because in Waterdeep rivals have always been ready to "bid away" a hearthmaster from another noble or merchant they dislike, or want to "highcrown" (one-up) - - and so, such skilled individuals, particularly if they know the noble is difficult to work for, always CLAIM someone else wants their services for that same day or night, so the noble will overpay to get them.
However, Ed is the only one who can add specific NPCs to this base Realmslore I've paraphrased from my notes, I'm afraid.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  06:10:00  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
THO,

Fantastic info, thank you! I can just imagine the color Ed will be able to add to such a character.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  01:42:36  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

To Ed,

Is it a good assumption that the summoning and bargaining with fiends usually requires regeants that include blood of children and/or young virgins? Basically the PC's seek info which an NPC has however the NPC trucks with demons, I know my PC's are an inquisitive lot and I'm trying to figure out what you think would be a successful knowledge check for them to be able to KNOW that this individual requires the blood of innocent children/young virgins to gain for the them the knowledge they seek. This way if they make successful check then they now are dealing with the individual KNOWING what the price of his "service" is likely to be, I have a thing for presenting those moral issues from time to time.

Thanks as always
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  02:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hi, Ed.

I have a linguistic question:

In the brazilian portuguese version of the FRCS, the editors make some good work translating the various names of places and characters, but one of them started a doubt in my mind:

Evermeet was translated as Ever Meet. A good translating, IMO, but I see that some elven places have the prefix "Ever" (Evermeet, Evereska, and there is one more that I donīt remember right now). So, my doubt is: Evermeet is a "common name" (in english), or is an elven term, with another meaning?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  18:31:41  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Another hopefully quick question, can a slave ring be removed if the wearer is within an antimagic field? I'm assuming dead magic area is a yes but unclear on antimagic field since it's still a type of magic, if the ring can't be removed then would the Master ring wearer still be able to harm the wearer of slave ring if within an antimagic field?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  19:21:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hi, Ed.

Evermeet was translated as Ever Meet. A good translating, IMO, but I see that some elven places have the prefix "Ever" (Evermeet, Evereska, and there is one more that I donīt remember right now). So, my doubt is: Evermeet is a "common name" (in english), or is an elven term, with another meaning?

I asked the very same question a few years ago - Ed's answer for you

Ed writes:
'Ever' comes from the ancient elven word 'everae' (which means 'of the
People' = meaning 'elven').

cheers

Damian

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0004D&L=REALMS-L&P=R12863&I=-3

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 09 Dec 2007 19:22:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  23:23:51  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
More from Ed on the Evermeet discussion:-

"They are "Everaer." This means "elves born on Evermeet who choose to
remain there" (not counting brief forays to the mainland), NOT "anyone who visits Evermeet from time to time." (So Florin and Dove weren't "Everaer.")"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:48:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. createvmind, Ed says he would rule that the ring can be removed in an antimagic field (and no, the master ring wearer couldn't harm the slave ring wearer, or act magically to prevent its removal).
Ed also said that the blood of children ("innocents" is really what is intended here) or virgins is just one possible ingredient in the processes of summoning or bargaining with demons (some rituals only require the blood of good-aligned creatures, or offer the creatures [usually bound or chained or otherwise immobilized] to the demon for it to corrupt or slay or dine upon or otherwise gloatingly torment. The game rules tend to be fuzzy about such things for obvious reasons, but Ed says the PCs really can't assume anything about an NPC's involvement with demons on the basis of finding those ingredients to be linked to the NPC. However, many "just plain folks" (not experts in dealing with demons) in the Realms would SUSPECT any possessor of such materials to be planning on working evil magic, probably involving devils or demons. Those non-experts could well include the PCs or local law enforcers the PCs can reach, but should not include priests of 5th level or above (who would know better).
Ed said to put it this way: anyone in your neighborhood who is known to have a gun or a knife is POTENTIAL danger, and already upset persons, or persons with a grudge against the gun or knife owner, could well act on that or spread rumors or otherwise affect others to make that potential danger seem very pressing. However, it is wrong to assume that everyone who has a gun or knife will inevitably and without exception soon become a murderer (most cooks have knives in their kitchens, yet most cooks will never murder anyone).
Again, it comes down to roleplaying: is a "general suspicion" prevailing or is such a condition generated during unfolding play in your campaign?
love,
THO
P.S. to all: Ed had a computer crisis on the weekend, but is fully recovered and happily back plugging away at "Realmslore everyone is going to want to see," and Ed wants Realms fans to know that he is "increasingly excited" about the new Realms stuff he's developing AND that he's seeing from others.
Good to know, yes?
P.P.S.: Has everyone seen the gorgeous ANNOTATED ELMINSTER yet?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:54:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, I believe some scribes have obtained the book. You can find their initial comments here. I'll hopefully have something to add once copies of Annotated Elminster start hitting my distant shores.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Yes, THO, I have the Annotated tome in my hands right now and am drooling over it. Ed's artwork (even though some of the pieces have been "blown up" in size, so Ed's delicate Staedler linework now looks as if it was drawn with thick black markers; I have seen some of the originals at past conventions) is nice, his essays are informative, and I'd love to see him have a chance to do, say, the Annotated Shandril, IF [and only if] he was given the chance to expand, edit, and rewrite the garbled text of the originals. I know we'll never see Spellfire restored to its original length, but a solid, robust rewrite would be good. The "revised, expanded" edition Ed got to do then got shortened to less wordcount than the original!
I've read some of Ed's short stories and know that he's capable of some far stronger and more focused writing than most of his FR work. I would love to see "Ed unleashed," so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  06:06:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, I HAVE seen "Ed unleashed," and it's a stimulating sight.
Though he prefers to be leashed, believe me.
Ahem, to be more serious . . .
Yes, I'd love to see Ed given a chance to polish those books, some of which were butchered in editing and others of which were written at the dead race, in punishingly short times (ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE, for example, was literally written in 16 days!!! [not 16 consecutive days, because at that time Ed could only get in front of a computer on weekends, but 16 writing days]).
We've never seen Ed without a day job, AND without a game writing workload equal to many full-timers, also writing novels. I'd love to see what he turns out if he ever gets the relatively leisurely pace of output that most writers enjoy. Quite possibly something close to Deryni, Amber, or Westeros in quality . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  06:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
I, too, have got my hands on THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER and love it.
I have also just finished DARK LORD, Ed's romp of a novel for Solaris (first of a trilogy) and a week or two before that read his DARK WARRIOR RISING (from Tor, first of a duology that will expand into a series, I think, if sales are high enough).
DWR is the best written of all Ed's novels so far, IMHO, but it may not be as enjoyable as, say, the Knights books. It's a dark elf book without the word "drow," or a spider goddess, or anyone like Drizzt. I think it's superb.
DL, on the other hand, is Ed just having fun, and I can't wait for the next one in this series, either. It also has possibly the most splendid cover of any Ed Greenwood novel to date.
Wow, THREE new novels from Ed this fall! Santa's going to have a hernia!

Edit: Okay, I suppose August isn't really "fall," and SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE was the third book I was counting, but still . . .

Edited by - Baleful Avatar on 11 Dec 2007 06:28:53
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  13:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

I asked the very same question a few years ago - Ed's answer for you

Ed writes:
'Ever' comes from the ancient elven word 'everae' (which means 'of the
People' = meaning 'elven').

cheers

Damian

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0004D&L=REALMS-L&P=R12863&I=-3

Thanks, Damian and Sage!

One more question: "Meet" is "meet", in english? So, the meaning is "meet of the people"?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  13:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

P.S. to all: Ed had a computer crisis on the weekend, but is fully recovered and happily back plugging away at "Realmslore everyone is going to want to see," and Ed wants Realms fans to know that he is "increasingly excited" about the new Realms stuff he's developing AND that he's seeing from others.
Good to know, yes?

Good to know this, Lady Hooded!

quote:

Oh, I will have to wait sometime before that tome arrive in brazilian shores (and I have some gold pieces to invest in it)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  14:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Yes, I own it, and I've been reading it a bit too. Tell Ed I really like his artwork!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  18:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
quote:

No, but it is on my Christmas list. And if I don't get it for Christmas then I will go and buy it myself.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  18:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hello again, Ed and THO,
I have (of course) yet another Cormyr question...
If a non-Harper, non-envoy outlander adventurer (armed but with peace-bonded weapons) who is unknown in Cormyr shows up at the Palace gates in Suzail asking politely to attend Court and speak to the Regent or Vangerdahast or "someone who can deal with matters of the highest delicacy, without delay" . . . what will happen?
I know War Wizards can and probably would mindprobe said person trying to detect plots, spells, hidden weapons, and so on, but assuming the person is "clean," how likely are they to reach the royal presence? Or Alaphondar or Filfaeril or Vangerdahast or Caladnei or Laspeera? And is there anyone else considered to be of that high level?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  18:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I have a Realmslore question, too. Within the cities of the Heartlands, are mules and donkeys more numerous than horses? (Local population, not the mounts of visitors, and the beasts that arrive as part of caravans, and animal-selling markets.)
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  18:58:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hello again, Ed and THO,
Ithe Regent or Vangerdahast or "someone who can deal with matters of the highest delicacy, without delay" . . . what will happen?
And is there anyone else considered to be of that high level?

isn't that what the duty war wizard and/or Constal/Onrion is for? To keep the unwashed masses out of, err to deal with bizarre requests and resolve the issue before it goes before the court?

I just can't see the duty war wizard letting the person in without knowing why they have asked/phrased such a strange request - his/her job is to weed out these sort of requests and find out what is going on (and Vangy or Caladnehast is not going to be happy if he/she is not) - I think that the unknown must provide some sort of proof of their words before stepping one foot further in to the Palace, and if they refuse, well.........

Just my thoughts

Damian

EDIT: I would imagine that there are alot of courtiers/war wizards/purple dragons who are quite able to deal with these sort of matters (and have the full approval of Alusair/Vangy/etc etc and thier full support in deciding what to do), otherwise I can't quite see how the Court could function if only a senior person (as suggested) can decide what to do?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 11 Dec 2007 19:03:04
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2394 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  19:24:56  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I have a more production-oriented question. I was rereading parts of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and, as usual, was simply awed by the amount of information it contained. How long did it take you and Eric to write it (and who wrote what)? How much of the lore had you already created, vs had to create from scratch (like the various uses of gemstones and other raw materials, including the proper time of day)? It's perhaps my favorite magic-oriented supplement ever, and I'm really curious about anything you could say about it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  20:02:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Hoondatha. I can't answer for the time needed to write Volo's Magical, but I can say that Eric Boyd wrote all of the magic items except one (some of them being the first detailings of items named by Ed and others in previous published Realmslore), and Ed wrote the spells and "materials" sections (the latter being 2nd Ed adaptations and shortenings of earlier published Ed lore).
Off your query goes to Ed, of course, for the full treatment...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30225 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  20:07:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

It's perhaps my favorite magic-oriented supplement ever,

This is a sentiment I will happily echo! I particularly loved the magical properties of various items section. That book (formerly a suppressed work ) is simply one of the best Realms supplements we've ever had.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  20:23:32  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

It's perhaps my favorite magic-oriented supplement ever,

This is a sentiment I will happily echo! I particularly loved the magical properties of various items section. That book (formerly a suppressed work ) is simply one of the best Realms supplements we've ever had.

A "here here" for Wooly's "here here"! Of all the Realms supplements the Volo's Guides are by far my favorites. All things Magical being only second to Waterdeep.

I can just imagine how fantastic a Volo's Guide to the South, or The Moonsea would have been... but alas it is not to be.

Ed & THO,

On any given day, how many magical weapons would be for sale in Saern's?

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  13:45:35  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
Dear Ed & THO,

Over in this scroll, I asked what the motivations of the phaerimm might be, curious whether any canon answer exists. (Seemingly not, according to the gathered wisdom of the scribes who read that scroll.) I speculated that perhaps the reason they are so, ahem, unfriendly to other spell casters is that they are something like "canaries in the mine" when it comes to the weave --- they become subject to mutations or other health problems when there is overuse of magic. Given that they, like other Underdark races, are rather evil and nastily powerful, they then go do something about it. In any case, do you know what drives the phaerimm? I'll probably use my speculations in my campaign, since it fits, but, just in case a certain scribe decides to be industrious and write up an ecology, it would be nice to know. Thanks as always!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000