Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:40:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Kuje! Ed just sent me an e-mail saying he's "snowed under; REALLY snowed under," so his replies might turn sporadic for a while.
As far as that date goes, I seem to recall two different dates. As in, we had one date in our home Realms campaign (and I can't remember what it was, now!), but TSR lore of the time contradicted it due to something else written by someone else that had a date linked to that gate closure (not published in a product, but worked out so that it had to be internally adhered to).
However, I believe that Eric Boyd (if he remembers now, after all this time) worked out a "this must be the right" date for the published Realms with Ed, putting together all the published hints and factors. I'd try him straightaway if I were you (and tell me what answer he gives, will you, please? I'm curious, now).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Kuje! Ed just sent me an e-mail saying he's "snowed under; REALLY snowed under," so his replies might turn sporadic for a while.

Poor guy, send him my sympathies.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:47:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Done.
I know the sympathies of a lady have the power to both soothe and invigorate Ed (and yes, you can probably guess just how I know that ), and the better he is, the better and faster Realmslore we'll all get.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  03:01:38  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As far as that date goes, I seem to recall two different dates. As in, we had one date in our home Realms campaign (and I can't remember what it was, now!), but TSR lore of the time contradicted it due to something else written by someone else that had a date linked to that gate closure (not published in a product, but worked out so that it had to be internally adhered to).
However, I believe that Eric Boyd (if he remembers now, after all this time) worked out a "this must be the right" date for the published Realms with Ed, putting together all the published hints and factors. I'd try him straightaway if I were you (and tell me what answer he gives, will you, please? I'm curious, now).
love,
THO

Okies, bugger but will do. :)

Edit: Eric said 1357 according to Dragon 359.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Nov 2007 05:38:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  06:05:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Heh. Typical. It had to be in the one source I didn't check.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aelryn
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  06:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Aelryn's Homepage  Send Aelryn an AOL message  Click to see Aelryn's MSN Messenger address Send Aelryn a Private Message
To Ed and the Hooded Lady Most Fair,

Greetings. I have perused these scrolls for some time, although only just recently have I finally felt fit to join the ranks of the scribes present. Still, with my joining of the ranks I have some questions that press rather heavily on my mind- I will attempt to be as concise as possible with such weighty matters.

Firstly- a huge thank you to Ed (and all the other contributors to the Realms) for so much love and care put into a creation as wonderful as the realms- it has given me years of enjoyment as well as a place to vent my own creativity through several mediums, both my own writing and the collaborative storytelling that comes of games such as pen and paper sessions and, more conveniently and frequently on my end the role-play that can be indulged in through the medium of Neverwinter Nights. It is an ambition of one of my characters on a server of said game that produces my question.

(Spoilerish?) With the upcoming spell plague, and apparently the death of Mystra as well (something my staunch opposition to has also helped in creating this question,) it is apparent that magic will find itself vastly weakened in the Realms compared to present day.(End Spoilers?) As I have just mentioned, I'm somewhat against the concept of Mystra needing to die (for a third time) to achieve a shift in magic in the realms- so much more so because the Neutral Good incarnation of Mystra is by far my favorite.

To skip a lot of background involving four-plus years of collaborative role-play between my character (who has held the mantle of Mystra's Chosen during my time playing him) and another person's character (a -very- old netherese lich that is a Chosen of Shar)that if you wish details on (either for curiosity's sake or to better answer my question) I'd be happy to provide a link to in a private message, I'll skip to the crux of the matter.

In Faiths and Pantheons, under the entry for Mystra, the possibility of subsuming both Shar and her Shadow Weave is mentioned, even though doing so might cause her to lose some of her purity. This is a concept I much prefer to the idea of Mystra's outright death, and I'm unsure if this possibility was a brain child of yours (Ed's) or not. I'm aware that the Shadow Weave and Weave have combined in instances before to produce an end result and was interested in a variant of that idea. I've several questions regarding this, that, if they would trigger an NDA response, I wonder if you could answer as to how you would handle it in your own home campaign as you perceive it.

If, using the gestalt spell, or in this specific case, a researched variant of it that requires two separate casters to focus their spell on a third party to combine three creatures into one instead of two, assuming that Mystra and the Weave are one and thusly that any of her Chosen have a likewise enhanced connection to it, and since Shar likewise has absolute control of the Shadow Weave, if the Chosen of these two opposed deities could find a common ground and reason to perform such a spell, would their connection into a single body potentially form an intense, concentrated enough connection between the two weaves so that Mystra and/or Shar could force a battle for dominance/control of both weaves in an attempt to bring all of magic under one or the other's control? (Assuming that the divine politics as have occurred in the indicated campaign and Shar's own recent actions may have convinced Mystra that such an option is one worth considering in the first place.)

Two: If such a battle -could- be engaged as a result, what would be the most likely results as you would envision them, for the two or three participants of the spell, the Weaves of each deity (not to mention their respective gods), and the general status and health of magic, both active and dormant, within the Realms? I see this is a way to potentially explain the shift of magic within the realms without necessitating the third death of Mystra and leaving the remaining Weaves at the whim of what I consider to be an even greater evil than Bane himself in Shar- after all, Bane may wish to rule all, but it is my understanding that Shar's greatest goal is the utter destruction of the Realms and a return to oblivion- leaving all the magic of the Realms at the mercy of such a power is not a Realms I'd like to delve too deeply into if I can avoid it- for games where dark powers have such a marked advantage such as that, I can pick up a Ravenloft book.

I've attempted to be concise, but I probably failed miserably- please forgive this humble acolyte his shortcomings in such things with such heavy matters on his mind. When you're no longer snowed under, any insight you could provide into the above matters would be greatly appreciated, and I wish you the speediest recovery from your current state.

(Numerous edits are for the sake of being neat within the chaos of my mind- the message remains unchanged.)

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."

Edited by - Aelryn on 10 Nov 2007 06:14:17
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  20:09:28  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Tell me Ed, whatever befell poor Sniffy Wiggelbottom?

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  18:31:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Alorin Dawn, I can answer your latest myself:

Sniffy is alive and well. He was kidnapped to "persuade" him to sell his businesses to a Zhent agent, but the local Harper who was watching and waiting for this stepped in, rescued him, and slaughtered most of the Zhents then operating in Secomber, in the process.
BTW, he has other secrets that might surprise most folk who have dealings with im. No, I'm not telling. Yet.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  19:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I take it "Sniffy Wigglebottom" isn't his real name?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  19:07:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You take it correctly.
His real name is Snavarel Waeglebotham, but inevitably, from early childhood (he had perpetual colds, and sniffled a lot), everyone but family called him by his nickname - - and even family members used "Sniffy," most of the time.
Yes, we've asked Ed about this.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Austran
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  10:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Austran's Homepage Send Austran a Private Message
Greetings!
Where can I find any details about the disappearance of Lolth?
A little lost in the new events in Faerun, heh heh...

Wisdom is only possessed by the learned.
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  12:50:28  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message
For that you will want to pick up the six book series called "The War of the Spider Queen."

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  16:34:42  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by turox

For that you will want to pick up the six book series called "The War of the Spider Queen."

Or the summary of the first 3 or 4 of said novels that is detailed in the Player's Guide for 3.5e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  19:41:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Hi Hooded and Ed,

Yeah, snowed under. Probrably by work and the white stuff.

Ed, please help. What kind of rooms, furniture, artwork, toys ,etc would you put into a very powerful elven clan house? I find that my first attempt at drafting a floor plan doesn't quite do justice to what I've read in Realms literature.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  02:10:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
I bring some sad news: Ed's father died suddenly yesterday. Ed is calmer than anyone I've yet seen under these circumstances (he and his father were very close), but his father was a longtime university professor, chorister who sang in cathedrals all over the world, and one of NORAD's top radar men during the Cold War, so the funeral (next weekend) is likely to be a big affair, and the usual family matters will keep Ed occupied at least for this coming week.

althen artren, being as it may be some time before Ed gets to your question, let me try to take a stab at it from some of Ed's DMing descriptions of elven home interiors for us Knights:
Many rooms will be "growing" things: smooth-sculpted, rounded hollows with living wooden walls upon which grow flowers and mosses, and which have been teased (with magic) out into furniture-like shapes, and "spurs" from which their elven owners hang chiming glass mobiles enchanted to give off light (room illumination).
Most artwork will be of elves or living forest scenes, and the most prized pieces will be magical three-dimensional images (like holograms, that can be stepped through without feeling anything or affecting them).
I'll leave it to Ed to say more, but I know that what little I've said is both correct and typical.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Nov 2007 02:12:41
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  02:16:26  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Oh man,

That bites. :( Sorry Ed!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  02:19:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
'Tis sad news indeed. We appreciate you sharing this with us, my Lady.

Please pass the condolences of both myself and the Lady K onto Ed. His family are in our thoughts.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Nov 2007 02:20:01
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  02:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Please pass my condolences to Ed and his family as well.
'Tis sad news indeed.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30283 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  02:55:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
My condolences to Ed and his family, as well. We'll be thinking of him.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  03:14:08  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
THO,

Terrible news indeed. Please pass my condolences to Ed and his family.

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page

Kheris
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  03:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Kheris's Homepage Send Kheris a Private Message
Aye, from all of us, certainly...
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  03:25:29  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Blessings to you and your family, Mr. greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  05:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Our prayers, from whatever deity we believe in (or just best wishes), go out to you.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  06:12:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
My condolences to Ed, family and anyone else bereaved by these sad news.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  09:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
It's always a sad thing to hear such news. My condolences to Ed, his family and all the people that knew Ed's father.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000