Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  13:08:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Well met again Ed and THO.

I've been reading Green Ronin's Advanced Gamemaster's Guide, and there is a concept in it that sounded interesting. Them mention "self limiting magic" being a possible option in a setting, where a character might swear an oath to someone that their magic will never affect a certain group or type of people.

Essentially the oath has to be made to someone, and it has to be all or nothing ("none of my spells will ever affect . . . " and the party or group named has to be something that the person in the setting could identify (" . . . gold elves," for example).

This sounded like an interesting concept, and I was wondering if such an oath is possible in the Realms. It seems like something that Mystra and Azuth would indeed enforce, but is it possible, and has such a thing ever happened.

(The book mentions a wish being the general "out" for this oath, or an atonement spell cast so long as the person to whom the original oath was made to is willing to allow the character their freedom, though in this case, I could picture the atonement having to come from Mystra's or Azuth's clergy).

At any rate, thank you kindly for your time.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  19:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well met again Ed and THO.

I've been reading Green Ronin's Advanced Gamemaster's Guide, and there is a concept in it that sounded interesting. Them mention "self limiting magic" being a possible option in a setting, where a character might swear an oath to someone that their magic will never affect a certain group or type of people.

Essentially the oath has to be made to someone, and it has to be all or nothing ("none of my spells will ever affect . . . " and the party or group named has to be something that the person in the setting could identify (" . . . gold elves," for example).

This sounded like an interesting concept, and I was wondering if such an oath is possible in the Realms. It seems like something that Mystra and Azuth would indeed enforce, but is it possible, and has such a thing ever happened.

(The book mentions a wish being the general "out" for this oath, or an atonement spell cast so long as the person to whom the original oath was made to is willing to allow the character their freedom, though in this case, I could picture the atonement having to come from Mystra's or Azuth's clergy).

At any rate, thank you kindly for your time.

Not long ago Dragon had an article on "Archaeologists," and they were given the option of taking a feat which did not affect objects. If Whizzo can drop a 10d6 fireball, but he is an antiquarian sort, he could blast the bejeezus out of a library filled with goblins and harm nary a page of the books nor their shelves, nor that cool Turmish rug the goblins were using as an incubator for their accursed spawn. Cool, eh? In my campaign, this feat is going to be reserved for those who have one of the deities of knowledge as a patron, and possibly the artist's patron, Finder Wyvernspur.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2007 :  02:33:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Hoondatha, you've counted right; there's an unwritten "Elminster To Be Named Later" novel to make up the next trilogy. I know what Ed's planning, but I also know that no contracts have been signed yet, so his plans are . . . just that.
KnightErrantJr, oaths to Mystra, Azuth, and other deities of magic have some sway over arcane spells in the Realms, but oaths to other gods tend to govern only divine spells (and merely influence arcane spells). The key word here is "influence." In any given situation (location, items present, opponents and any oaths or divine allegiances they may have, etc.) there may well be multiple augmenting or warring influences at work . . . preventing anything from being "certain" or "absolute," and making everything . . . interesting.
I'm speaking now from Realmsplay experience with Ed as DM. The problem is, most mortal PCs have no way of learning the "whole truth" or even in many cases any shred of the truth, about situations, places, and events they are walking into. So such an oath should be considered a guideline: don't blast a group of characters that includes one you've oathsworn not to affect and "trust absolutely" in that oath to protect them. Do it as a last resort, but don't treat the oath as firm, unbeatable armour.

So saith me. Consulting once with Ed over this reply to make sure he's in agreement (he is).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  16:09:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Herewith, a reply to this query from createvmind: "Lady I am curious how you guys/gals dealt with summon monster spells, if you summoned a fiendish spider did Ed consider it an evil spell and thus you as a caster risked corruption so to speak and did you only get to summon what was listed as alignment acceptable creatures or were you able to stray from that listing?"
We didn't do much monster summoning, because Ed made it fraught with peril. ANYTHING could show up (including the memorable whale that arrived in our far-from-water location and crushed our foes, dying itself (check the tables in the 1st Edition DMG for said critter; this was a clerical magic), and named individual creatures (e.g. devils) always had namesakes (e.g. demons of the same name, or vice versa) who could show up instead, in an uncontrolled state!
Yes, you could summon anything, with the alignment/sinning consequences. No, it was never wise to summon much more than handy mounts, beasts of burden, carrier-pigeon-like birds or harriers to down an enemy's carrier-pigeon-like birds, or appropriate-to-the-landscape predators to frighten locals (e.g. wolves, bears). Jhessail avoided being slain once by convincing some ophidian and yuan-ti serpent-priests she was "holy" (she summoned snakes when they were too distant to properly see her summoning, stripped, borrowed another Knight's protection against poison magic item ere the rest of the Knights hurriedly departed, hid the item in a body cavity, and writhed around on the ground slapping and stroking her summoned vipers, who repeatedly bit her whilst she pretended to be in ecstasy as a result; it worked).
So Ed tended to discourage use ofmonster summoning magics just by play situations; we often used them to help us out of dungeon cells or to carry messages or items where we dared not go ourselves, but very seldom used them in battle as controlled critters. UNcontrolled, charge-into-the-foe-amid-general-confusion critters, yes...

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  16:41:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

ANYTHING could show up (including the memorable whale that arrived in our far-from-water location and crushed our foes, dying itself (check the tables in the 1st Edition DMG for said critter; this was a clerical magic),

Well, at least it wasn't a bowl of petunias.

I wonder how many will catch that reference...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  16:48:45  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

ANYTHING could show up (including the memorable whale that arrived in our far-from-water location and crushed our foes, dying itself (check the tables in the 1st Edition DMG for said critter; this was a clerical magic),

Hitchikers?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  17:07:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you so much Lady,

Between the druid PC and now master conjurer in my game I think it's time they realize the possible drawbacks of summoning creatures as if they are ordering chinese take out.

Edited by - createvmind on 30 Dec 2007 17:07:52
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  17:19:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And I hope it didn't say, "Oh no, not again!"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  22:47:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
You know, I've always wanted an Improbability Drive!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Dec 2007 22:48:22
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2007 :  05:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You know, I've always wanted an Improbability Drive!

Nah, that's teleporting, especially when you're either:
-In the Underdark
-Not sure where you're going to begin with.

And an early Happy New Year to Ed, THO, and my fellow scribes.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2007 :  07:02:46  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
Happy New Year Ed & THO..

Thanks for all the wonderful realmslore you've shared with us this year

Bottoms Up!!

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2007 :  10:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Indeed, a very happy to THO and Ed and many thanks for thy continued supply of lore over the past year.

Could I please request that my fellow scribes refrain from posting any more requests for lore to Ed and THO as this scroll will be locked later today (this then allows THO to better synchronise the crossover into the upcoming 2008 scroll ). You may resume your requests in the 2008 scroll.

Many thanks.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2007 :  15:09:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That being the case, and since Australia has now entered '08 [and I've a question I want to ask! ] please be aware that this scroll will now be closing, with Ed's Realmslore answers and The Hooded One's grace and charm starting fresh in a new scroll for 2008.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000