Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  16:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Leaving us drowning in metaphors, here . . .
Well said, the both of you. NDAs of course prevent us from ever seeing "the whole story" of how these design decisions are made, the arguments that rage, etc. until years and years of re-remembering and nostalgia layering have passed, if at all.
Not that most gamers care. They just want the product they buy and take home to be perfect for their needs, that's all.
An impossible fulfillment task, being as if every consumer had exactly the same needs, we'd all only need one product.
Ed obviously saw that in childhood, and so was quite willing to share the Realms and embrace lots of different views of things, from different authors. I suspect that if the thread currently active elsewhere here at the Keep in which the differing depictions of iconic characters are being discussed, Ed would say that differing but reconcilable depictions of characters offered (as opposed to instances were something is clearly WRONG) are either a necessary evil to achieve a full rich tapestry, or an inevitable essential in weaving such a tapestry.
I'm not trying to put words in the man's mouth here. I'm trying to recall the wording he used at a long-ago GenCon panel in which he addressed just this issue. Answering a gamer's question about Bob Salvatore asking Ed's permission to use Alustriel, and their discussion of how to depict the character.
I seem to recall an occasion since then, when Ed was asked about Bob showing Alustriel one way and Ed himself another, in which Ed replied that most of the Chosen are so complex and multi-sided (as well as less than sane), that no contradiction existed, and that he only regretted the lack of opportunity of showing all of those sides in one story, by one author, to clear up some ongoing fan arguments (he said Silverfall was too short in its "section for each Sister" wordcount for him to really do that).
BTW, I am not trying to lure Ed into speaking up, here. If he has to remain silent until April or June to give us all the Realmslore goodies we all need, I'll regret it, but be happy we're getting the goodies eventually.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  16:58:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you for those flattering comments. You'll turn an old gal's head, you will.
I'd just like to remind everyone that Ed isn't dead yet, or dead to the world, so keep those lore queries coming.
In fact, Ed will be reading a new Christmas short story (that he hasn't written yet, I suspect) this coming Friday, December 7th, at the Port Hope Public Library. This is an annual tradition, and eventually Ed will publish a book of these short stories, with the proceeds donated to the library.
One of the stories has been a fantasy, but most of them are heart-warming (tear-jerking, if you prefer) little modern-day-real-world-setting vignettes about the spirit of Christmas. Meant to be read aloud.
The library holds this open House every year, with local childrens' writers doing readings, usually a choir signing carols at some point, and every year Ed and fellow "famous Candian writer" Farley Mowat give readings. This year, Ed is at 2:30pm, and Farley at 4 or 4:30 (they were the other way around, time-wise, last year).
Ed is actually at work, running the library circulation desk, from 1 through 6 (another staff member will relieve him just for the actual reading), so he won't have much time to really talk with scribes or other fans who show up. However, he'll be happy to sign things, answer questions, etc. so long as he can do it in between helping other patrons at the desk.
Ed also wants everyone to know how touched he's been by their sympathies in the wake of his father's death, and to tell you he's very happily writing Realms stuff for us all. AND very happy that certain scribes, cloaked in the secrecy of NDAs, are also hard at work on the Realms, too.
Your questions keep him thinking in the Realms and enjoying it in his imagination, he says. So keep those questions coming!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 Dec 2007 21:01:31
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  18:39:25  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
I hear the call for questions THO :)

I would like to have Ed describe the typical "summer town" that get assembled outside of the cities like Triel, Soubar, etc. in the Weatern Heartlands.

I would also like to know if there is any "marshal" like described in PoF that operates in the Western Heartlands, and if yes, under which authority (Elturel?).

Edited by - Skeptic on 02 Dec 2007 18:40:51
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  21:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I think The Book of the Art could be popular among Realms fans and also D&D players wanting a really involved, expanded magic system, but I agree there are things it's better not to lock down.

The difficulty with the slow reveal is that you have to read everything to follow it. And when you have lots of magical phenomena but the sense binding them together is harder to grasp, some people are going to see 'too much nonsensical magic'.

I think there would be many advantages and few disadvantages to a 10,000-word outline laying out such basics as the experience of learning and casting magic, the categories mages use to keep track of the sea of spells, and what the Weave is in relation to the rest of nature and to spell-workers. If things already work consistently and evidently a certain way, it doesn't spoil mysteries to describe openly what it is.

D&D magic rules have never defined more than a small part of how magic works, with a focus on short-term adventuring spells. Many different metaphysical and social extensions can be built that stay consistent with those rules, and were in the 1990s.

On a sales level, the question of how much to tie settings to current rules amounts to selling books to people who aren't active fans of the setting vs to people who aren't active fans of the rules and would like an alternative. In the last decade D&D has tried to handle a broader range of fantasy while its own norms got more tightly and centrally defined than the 2E days.

And of course these difficulties are within the bounds of a medium, the setting sourcebook, which isn't mainstream. Sourcebooks come out either as run-off from extremely popular movie/novel settings like Middle-earth and Star Wars (whereas Pocket Books has found 'non-fiction' (non-narrative) Star Trek books unprofitable), or for RPG-specific worlds, published by small presses with the unique exception of Wizards of the Coast.

Edited by - Faraer on 03 Dec 2007 00:12:49
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  23:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
This particular ring, and certain other items and even spells of the highest level (2nd edition: 10th level spells), accomplish such journeys in a different way: they drop the to-be-transported beings, etc. out of contact with the Weave, and then reconnect them with another strand, elsewhere in the world.
In other words, if we see Toril as a chessboard that's actually an open grid of wires rather than a solid surface, these second sort of magics don't enable travel across the game board that is Toril; rather, they lift the board up, leaving a playing piece (the to-be-transported) behind, and then move the board and set it down again so that the piece is now in a new square of the board.
Make any sense at all?

This actually make perfect sense thank you that was a great answer and the one I was looking for.

It is very interesting to see the differences between Ed's home campaign, the novels, and the game mechanics. I have found as I read more and more of the novels I start introducing and recommending players cast spells more like the wizards in the novels do. It just seems to add so much more flavor.

Thanks again!

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  03:17:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A pleasure, Gelcur.
And yes, A Publishing Lackey, I was at that panel. Too small a room (Toronto has the LOUSIEST Convention Centre) for all those seeking to crowd into it. They should have used the "double room" behind it, which was used for the Terry Pratchett panel - - which was, ahem, Ed and Terry Pratchett. I thought it was going to be merry oneupmanship, but Ed rightly let Terry dominate, and just put in comments when the pace flagged.
I thought the funniest bit was after the panel, when fans were crowding forward for autographs. Terry had a huge lineup, and Ed only a few, of course, but because Ed's written so many books, and people know he'll stay and patiently sign everything, some people even brought wheely-carts full of books (few or no multiples), it took Ed as long to sign as it did Terry.
Terry's eyes really widened when the two leather dominatrix-garbed ladies went straight past him to Ed, to get tall stacks of Realms novels signed. Terry frowned at the books (all hardcovers, all different, gamebooks and novels) and then leaned over and asked Ed, "HOW many books have you written?" and Ed said quite honestly, "Er, hundred and sixty-something. I've lost count, really."
Terry rolled his eyes and said, "Well, I'd obviously better get writing!"
And Ed tapped a book and said, "These? These are easy!" He tugged on a page of one of them and said brightly, "These grow on trees, you know!"
"Watch out," one of Terry's fans said to Ed, and then pointed at Terry. "You'll end up in a book!"
"Don't tempt me," Terry told him, and everyone laughed.

Enough of old con stories, however. The important point is that Ed, Guy Kay, Neil Gaiman, and many others are acutely aware of the saw-off between Revealing All and Keeping The Mystery, and that there are many right answers, depending on the book or scene or series marketing plan or movie tie-in or whatever.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  14:42:30  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

At what times of the year in the Realms does one normally give presents to loved ones and friends, such as we do for birthdays and Christmas?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Faraer, there was always a back-and-forth argument between these two conflicting needs/desires: 1. To explain EVERYTHING for the paying customers. Drawbacks: VERY long and complicated rules tomes (Book of Ebon Bindings, anyone?) that some gamers will find a turnoff for various reasons, AND stamps out the "awe and wonder" of having some mysteries (especially in Realms fiction).

(snip)

love,
THO

I'd love itif Ed wrote a Book of Ebon Bindings-type grimoire for the Realms!

Perhaps the Zhents would seem "more Evil" than they do to me if we could look at one of their grimoires ("First bring the slaves whom you are going to sacrifice into the summoning chamber ..."). That's a bit more Evil than, "Oh my God the Zhentarim just gained a monoply on teakettles in Triboar!"

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  20:09:57  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
ED & THO,

Does the hammer duclimer exist in the Realms? If so by whom is it most commonly played by (races & nationalities)?

Thanks

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 03 Dec 2007 20:10:46
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  21:37:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

original Realms and worlds like Newhon, but now I'm wondering, othe

Taking of Newhon, I seem to recall that Tamper Tencoin advetured with a Newhon Ghoul (I think its in the Namara write up in FR4?)

just wondering what ever happened to Tamper and what plots and schemes he was into?

Thanks

Damian

ps IDHTBTH so it may well detail Tampers demise in The Magister? if so don't go bothering Ed on my account

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  21:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have yet another Cormyr question: how well do Cormyrean nobles who aren't long time rivals, or related through family marriages ties or trade relationships, know each other?
Or to put it more specifically:
If a noble family who lives primarily in, say, Marsember comes to Court, and the young sons go off wenching and are dining in some fine eatery in Suzail or other, and they see other diners being seated in the same room, and those diners happen to include other young male nobles who live primarily in northwestern Cormyr, how likely are they to recognize them, on sight? Or know they're nobles without asking anyone, even if they can't put names to faces (that have "grown up" some since they might last have bumped into each other at Court)?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  21:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Oooh, good question.
Makes MY Cormyr question seem easier.
Okay: if I've just arrived in the kingdom for the first time, aboard a boat from Turmish that docks in Suzail, and I want to buy a sturdy riding horse, am I going to have to pay a lot? I assume Suzail has a market and stables, and I know it's a land where horses are reared and trained, but do they ship most of them elsewhere (e.g. Sembia)? Are the prices "standard" as per core rules, or higher? Rising, in the wake of the devastation of the Devil Dragon wars, or falling? "?"
Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  22:41:36  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Okay: if I've just arrived in the kingdom for the first time, aboard a boat from Turmish that docks in Suzail,

Guess it depends how wealthy you look , or how desperate

Its just a matter of economics - if the Dragon War has resulted in less horses available the price goes up, if the Dragon War has resulted in less people around to buy horses the price goes down.
However I would say that if you are buying a decent horse then the price would go up regardless, in times of stress I think that people would prefer to have a hardier/stronger/faster etc horse that might actually get them out of the danger zone/give them some protection if attacked. So a much better than normal horse would cost more than the standard price.

Just my thoughts

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  23:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Blueblade asks: How well do Cormyrean nobles who aren't long time rivals, or related through family marriages ties or trade relationships, know each other?

Or to put it more specifically:
If a noble family who lives primarily in, say, Marsember comes to Court, and the young sons go off wenching and are dining in some fine eatery in Suzail or other, and they see other diners being seated in the same room, and those diners happen to include other young male nobles who live primarily in northwestern Cormyr, how likely are they to recognize them, on sight? Or know they're nobles without asking anyone, even if they can't put names to faces (that have "grown up" some since they might last have bumped into each other at Court)?
Thanks!

Garen answers:
Nobles receive a great deal of training and instruction on how to recognize nobles, and the traits (read: stereotypes) of particular oldblood families from across the realm. Part of their upbringing includes tutoring on the various arms, badges, and liveries of prominent houses and their major branches.

For the given example, it depends greatly on whether or not the noble in question was flaunting his status, acting "normal," or intentionally trying to hide his lineage. Most nobles--particularly heirs and wealthy second sons--tend to travel about with entourages, or at the very least one capable valet or bodyguard. Unless the noble is purposefully traveling alone, or is well-practiced at the craft of deception, it is generally fairly easy for the trained eye to notice a raised pinky, a too-wary companion, an overly servile "friend," or disproportionate deference by a barkeep.

So, to keep the answer short: it's fairly easy to spot a noble, unless you're not looking, or the noble is making an effort to hide. Spotting and recognizing, however, are completely different matters.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  23:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Oooh, good question.
Makes MY Cormyr question seem easier.
Okay: if I've just arrived in the kingdom for the first time, aboard a boat from Turmish that docks in Suzail, and I want to buy a sturdy riding horse, am I going to have to pay a lot? I assume Suzail has a market and stables, and I know it's a land where horses are reared and trained, but do they ship most of them elsewhere (e.g. Sembia)? Are the prices "standard" as per core rules, or higher? Rising, in the wake of the devastation of the Devil Dragon wars, or falling? "?"
Thanks in advance.
Nothing official on this just yet, but here's my take:

It has been some four plus years since the Dragonfall, which is enough time for even yearlings and ponies from around that time to have bred more than once, making your average riding horse about as available as they were before. Heavy horse from Waymoot are still the best around Cormyr, but are less available than they were before; a great mass of the most valuable horseflesh in Cormyr was wiped out by Nalavara and her hordes, making the best breeding stock all the more prized. Your standard varieties of horse--the sorts that are found in the core books--are about as easy to find in places like Suzail as they were in 1370; it's the more expensive, more specific breeds that are tougher to get hold of.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  23:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn
Does the hammer duclimer exist in the Realms?
The dulcimer is mentioned in "Music of the Forgotten Realms" (Dragon #123) and the 1993 boxed set. Zakhara also has a hammer dulcimer called the santur (see "Sounds of Wonder & Delight", Dragon #190).
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  19:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Thanks, Garen Thal. Great answer! I meant to rule out "ostentatious noble behaviour" and really just meant do distant-dwelling nobles see each other often enough to recognize each other's faces on sight, but you covered that just fine.
So now [cough] I have another.
When young nobles are "presented" at Court for the first time, are there prior public announcements of just WHICH noble is going to make their maiden Court appearance? Or is it usually a surprise of exactly who turns up, on annually expected days or tendays?
Thanks!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 05 Dec 2007 01:40:55
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  02:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I just posted a quotation from Ed's GenCon notes, years ago, about Alustriel, over on page 2 of the "Best portrayal of canon character" thread in Novels. Didn't want to repost it all here, but wanted to alert interested scribes, because it is a "direct Ed quote."
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  02:11:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks, Blueblade. It is indeed, and I have more notes from that session on some other topics, too. Now to FIND them...
Skeptic, your question has of course been forwarded to Ed, who is still eyebrow-deep in "do yesterday!" Realms work, but I can say this much:
Most such towns have wandering dirt roads, ALWAYS wide enough for two wagon-teams to comfortably pass each other; wagons "put up on blocks" (under axles, with wheels still attached but weight-strain thus taken off them) to serve as dwellings, with wagon-to-ground sloping tents to provide cover for entrances and cooking areas; dirt latrines surrounded by loose earth (from the digging) walls for privacy; tents for most additional dwellings; and outdoor cook-ovens made from stone, with mud-brick chimneys.
That much I remember off the top of my head from Ed's verbal descriptions, as he DM'd us. Hopefully he will provide more soon (more likely, he'll provide more when he can).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  02:14:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I just posted a quotation from Ed's GenCon notes, years ago, about Alustriel, over on page 2 of the "Best portrayal of canon character" thread in Novels. Didn't want to repost it all here, but wanted to alert interested scribes, because it is a "direct Ed quote."
BB
I'll repost it here for ease of reference:-
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I feel the need to chime in here about Alustriel.
Ed once spent about twenty minutes at a GenCon seminar explaining Alustriel to questioners who wanted to know how to run her in their Silverymoon-based campaign (as an NPC, of course).

He said Alustriel is:
[[switching to Ed's notes here]]

. . . a kind, nice, understanding person (the sort who leaves the need coins, someone who had something crucial broken or stolen a replacement, etc., WITHOUT a big public giving; she just arranges for them to find it when they awaken, or something of the sort).
However, she has learned to be a SUPERB actor, playing whatever role will best suit the needs of a strong, continued Silverymoon (and then an extended Silver Marches) at the moment. So she'll be the stern, wiser ruler, and then turn around and be the coldly calculating bargainer or tactician, and then be the quietly comforting friend.
One of her roles is as the "Queen of Courtly Love," which involves candlelit indoor pool parties (orgies) with any number of envoys from afar and young adventurers (including Harpers) whom she wants to reward, influence (get them to be her friends or in love with her or in lust with her), let others get to know and see (so, for instance, attending Harpers can get to see an envoy 'with their guard down,' and so on), give participants a chance to meet each other in VERY relaxed circumstances and establish friendships or do what we modern real-world types would call "networking."
It is wrong to view Alustriel as "wanton" or "promiscuous" in the modern real-world North American sense of these words; she is using her body as a diplomatic tool, in full control of herself at all times (so she's always "reading" everyone around her and being aware of their reactions, while trying not to seem to do so; she is NOT trying to satisfy her own pleasure).
When Bob portrays Alustriel quite differently, he's simply showing another side of her character - - the side she believes is the proper way (Silverymoon's interests paramount at all times, remember) to relate to Drizzt.
When Alustriel encounters unhappy loners, her automatic instinct is to comfort them, and lovemaking is one way she won't hesitate for a moment to use - - if she thinks it will "work" and won't be bad for Silverymoon.
A DM who thinks Alustriel just wants to bed any handy male of any race, or any attractive male, or any male she thinks she can manipulate into helping her out, is entirely misreading the character.
Correcting or preventing such misconceptions is the very reason why I wrote THE SEVEN SISTERS sourcebook.

So, so saith Ed. (Sorry, THO. I've always wanted to type that. )

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Dec 2007 02:16:18
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  18:42:31  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Can you tell us what kinda of coin the top chefs in Waterdeep are able to command for their services?

Can you please provide a some details ona few of these said chefs/cooks?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  04:00:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, AlorinDawn. Forwarded to Ed, of course, but I thought I'd share what little I can from my play notes:
In Waterdeep, a "hearthmaster" [archaic: "master of the kitchen"] is what we modern real-worlders would call a "chef."
A "carver" is what we would call a sous-chef, whilst "bakers" are just "bakers."
Most chefs own their establishments, take all the profits, and then pay their staff, their taxes and city fees, and their suppliers. A few work for eateries and clubs, and usually charge a minimum of 25 gp/day (meaning: mid-morning until early the next morning), plus 12 gp/day for each carver they insist on bringing with them (15 gp for bakers or butchers). From that minimum, rates go up to 45 gp for the "top names."
Nobles and rich merchants wishing to hire hearthmasters to do a feast (what we would call "in-home catering") typically have to pay them 75 gp for each day of the event, plus 25 gp for each skilled underling (carver) the hearthmaster insists on bringing. This is just a base salary; food costs, servers, etc. are all on top of that, not paid by the hearthmaster. The rate is high because they are hiring the hearthmaster away from regular work, and because in Waterdeep rivals have always been ready to "bid away" a hearthmaster from another noble or merchant they dislike, or want to "highcrown" (one-up) - - and so, such skilled individuals, particularly if they know the noble is difficult to work for, always CLAIM someone else wants their services for that same day or night, so the noble will overpay to get them.
However, Ed is the only one who can add specific NPCs to this base Realmslore I've paraphrased from my notes, I'm afraid.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  06:10:00  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
THO,

Fantastic info, thank you! I can just imagine the color Ed will be able to add to such a character.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  01:42:36  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

To Ed,

Is it a good assumption that the summoning and bargaining with fiends usually requires regeants that include blood of children and/or young virgins? Basically the PC's seek info which an NPC has however the NPC trucks with demons, I know my PC's are an inquisitive lot and I'm trying to figure out what you think would be a successful knowledge check for them to be able to KNOW that this individual requires the blood of innocent children/young virgins to gain for the them the knowledge they seek. This way if they make successful check then they now are dealing with the individual KNOWING what the price of his "service" is likely to be, I have a thing for presenting those moral issues from time to time.

Thanks as always
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  02:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hi, Ed.

I have a linguistic question:

In the brazilian portuguese version of the FRCS, the editors make some good work translating the various names of places and characters, but one of them started a doubt in my mind:

Evermeet was translated as Ever Meet. A good translating, IMO, but I see that some elven places have the prefix "Ever" (Evermeet, Evereska, and there is one more that I donīt remember right now). So, my doubt is: Evermeet is a "common name" (in english), or is an elven term, with another meaning?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  18:31:41  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Another hopefully quick question, can a slave ring be removed if the wearer is within an antimagic field? I'm assuming dead magic area is a yes but unclear on antimagic field since it's still a type of magic, if the ring can't be removed then would the Master ring wearer still be able to harm the wearer of slave ring if within an antimagic field?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  19:21:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hi, Ed.

Evermeet was translated as Ever Meet. A good translating, IMO, but I see that some elven places have the prefix "Ever" (Evermeet, Evereska, and there is one more that I donīt remember right now). So, my doubt is: Evermeet is a "common name" (in english), or is an elven term, with another meaning?

I asked the very same question a few years ago - Ed's answer for you

Ed writes:
'Ever' comes from the ancient elven word 'everae' (which means 'of the
People' = meaning 'elven').

cheers

Damian

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0004D&L=REALMS-L&P=R12863&I=-3

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 09 Dec 2007 19:22:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  23:23:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
More from Ed on the Evermeet discussion:-

"They are "Everaer." This means "elves born on Evermeet who choose to
remain there" (not counting brief forays to the mainland), NOT "anyone who visits Evermeet from time to time." (So Florin and Dove weren't "Everaer.")"

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:48:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. createvmind, Ed says he would rule that the ring can be removed in an antimagic field (and no, the master ring wearer couldn't harm the slave ring wearer, or act magically to prevent its removal).
Ed also said that the blood of children ("innocents" is really what is intended here) or virgins is just one possible ingredient in the processes of summoning or bargaining with demons (some rituals only require the blood of good-aligned creatures, or offer the creatures [usually bound or chained or otherwise immobilized] to the demon for it to corrupt or slay or dine upon or otherwise gloatingly torment. The game rules tend to be fuzzy about such things for obvious reasons, but Ed says the PCs really can't assume anything about an NPC's involvement with demons on the basis of finding those ingredients to be linked to the NPC. However, many "just plain folks" (not experts in dealing with demons) in the Realms would SUSPECT any possessor of such materials to be planning on working evil magic, probably involving devils or demons. Those non-experts could well include the PCs or local law enforcers the PCs can reach, but should not include priests of 5th level or above (who would know better).
Ed said to put it this way: anyone in your neighborhood who is known to have a gun or a knife is POTENTIAL danger, and already upset persons, or persons with a grudge against the gun or knife owner, could well act on that or spread rumors or otherwise affect others to make that potential danger seem very pressing. However, it is wrong to assume that everyone who has a gun or knife will inevitably and without exception soon become a murderer (most cooks have knives in their kitchens, yet most cooks will never murder anyone).
Again, it comes down to roleplaying: is a "general suspicion" prevailing or is such a condition generated during unfolding play in your campaign?
love,
THO
P.S. to all: Ed had a computer crisis on the weekend, but is fully recovered and happily back plugging away at "Realmslore everyone is going to want to see," and Ed wants Realms fans to know that he is "increasingly excited" about the new Realms stuff he's developing AND that he's seeing from others.
Good to know, yes?
P.P.S.: Has everyone seen the gorgeous ANNOTATED ELMINSTER yet?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:54:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

P.P.S.: Has everyone seen the gorgeous ANNOTATED ELMINSTER yet?

Yes, I believe some scribes have obtained the book. You can find their initial comments here. I'll hopefully have something to add once copies of Annotated Elminster start hitting my distant shores.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000