Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  21:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Sorry for the back to back questions, but this one is one that I wanted to ask for a while now.

In the FRCS it mentions that sorcerers and wizards can adopt a personal mage rune which is protected by Mystra herself. When there were only wizards, I would assume that they learned about crafting their own personal identifying rune as part of their training, but do sorcerers just intrinsically know that they can create their own rune once they manifest their powers, or do they have to learn how to craft their rune or learn at least that they can?

Also, on the same topic, do other arcane casters learn to craft personal runes? For example, warmages, beguilers, or dread necromancers (since they are kind of "specialized" sorcerers, I can see the same rules applying to these classes). What about "warrior type" arcane casters, like hexblades and duskblades? Finally, would a warlock have a mage's rune, or does the "borrowed" nature of his talent with the Art preclude his ability to craft his own mage rune?

Thank you once again THO and Ed.

Please add Shadow Weave users to that list. I'm very curious as to whether Mystra respects their sigils since she can't really grok the Shadow Weave herself.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  21:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I hope I'm not repeating myself, but Ed, will you please tell us about astrology in the Realms? Does it "actually" work? Is there a zodiac, and if so, what are its signs and the traits associated with them? (In human Faerunian terms, please, although I would not be averse to learning dwarven and halfling and Shou terminology, too.) If there are zodiacal signs, when does the astrological year begin? In Dragon 340 it was said to be Ches, but it didn't indicate whether it was the first of the month, sometime during the month, or the quarterly holiday at the end. (However canonical an article in Dragon might be, let us also acknowledge the possibility that the article presented only one viewpoint. Gods know that there are more than enough competing and conflicting astrological systems here on Earth! Interested scholars may want to try using an astrologogical computer program and altering the parameters from "tropical" zodiac to "sidereal," and vary the "house" options among the three or four which are commonly used -- bearing in mind that Indian and Chinese astrology is completely different and traditional Chinese astronomy uses different constellation boundaries than are used in the West. I have been able to generate almost a dozen different "valid" natal horoscopes for myself just by using different systems or different parameters within the same system. *sigh* )

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  18:47:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Kuje, your e-mail arrived and has been passed on to Ed. He's dealing with a library board crisis right now (as so many busy people learn, if you go away on trips, you always pay for it thanks to a pileup of things that occur in your absence), but plans to reply to you late tonight.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:06:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Kuje, your e-mail arrived and has been passed on to Ed. He's dealing with a library board crisis right now (as so many busy people learn, if you go away on trips, you always pay for it thanks to a pileup of things that occur in your absence), but plans to reply to you late tonight.
love,
THO

Woop, cool. Thanks much to both of you!

Bummer about the library problem. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:24:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
My pleasure.
And for all scribes: as Ed finishes up the last Knights of Myth Drannor book, he'd like to know all of your opinions:
are there things you want him to do more of, in its prose? Less of? Characters you think have been slighted? Events glossed over? Things he should really highlight? Scenes you'd like to see? Mistakes in pacing and/or presentation you don't want repeated? Level of sex? Amount of introspection? Amount of combat?
(The book of course stays with the Knights, and follows immediately after SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE. No, I can't be more specific about the plot.)
Don't worry, Ed has it all plotted out and largely written; he's looking for your feelings about it, folks, not to work out a story for him. :}
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:28:11  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
The only thing I want in Ed's books is a dramatis personae

Edited by - Skeptic on 17 Oct 2007 19:28:58
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:00:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

My pleasure.
And for all scribes: as Ed finishes up the last Knights of Myth Drannor book, he'd like to know all of your opinions:
are there things you want him to do more of, in its prose? Less of? Characters you think have been slighted? Events glossed over? Things he should really highlight? Scenes you'd like to see? Mistakes in pacing and/or presentation you don't want repeated? Level of sex? Amount of introspection? Amount of combat?
(The book of course stays with the Knights, and follows immediately after SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE. No, I can't be more specific about the plot.)
Don't worry, Ed has it all plotted out and largely written; he's looking for your feelings about it, folks, not to work out a story for him. :}
love,
THO

Hmmm. I've been satisfied with how the current trilogy is going so I don't have much to add to this or any thoughts really about what is missing.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
quote:
My pleasure.
love,
THO

I can only speak for myself, but I hope this is what you'd like to hear.

1. Do more of: I wouldn't mind if Ed upped the level of backstory and introspection on some of my his characters. The frentic paces of the story sort of hurt my ability to appreciate the villains and some of the characters. Where folk like Florin, Pennae, and others come from would be appreciated.

2. Less of: I love the "All Hell Breaking Loose" nature of the Dragonfire books but they've been twice in a row and I wouldn't mind a book examining more of the characters. Don't take this as a criticism Ed, but I find it ironic that City of Splendors spent many a page examining the lives of some unlikeable boorish rich dullards yet we're glossing over the character of Florin Falconhand.

;-)

3. Characters I'd like to see more of: In addition to the usual Cormyr Royal Family (we can't get enough of them), I wouldn't mind seeing more of Laspeera and Vangey. But I very much would like some more character background and building on the Knights themselves. Pennae and Florin especially.

And if possible, Manshoon actually manipulating events to some sort of victory on his behalf even if the Knights succeed. Show him as the genius we know him to be.

4. Events Glossed Over: I know you love your action but I'd personally love to see a "Florin returns to the Shire" style scene. The Knights of Eveningstar/Myth Drannor have saved the Realms twice (3 times with Alusair). It'd be good to see how their old friends react to them if they've achieved some measure of fame/infamy at this point.

Heroes have families ya know!

5. Things he should really highlight?: I wouldn't mind getting a better picture of the Zhents level of influence and other bad guys throughout Cormyr. We know they're up to no good but a picture of how deep rooted the bad guys are would help me assertain the threat level.

6. Scenes like to see: Alusair learning combat from Florin Falconhand or otherwise using him as a basis to become the warrior she will be today, Florin's future relationship with Dove getting started, actually visit Myth Drannor for a brief time, and giving the Wizards a rest.

Seriously Ed, I love you, but how many Wizards of Zhentil Keep have you killed? They must be running out like the CoD is running out of Dracoliches in Spellfire. Give us some evil Warriors for a change! One who can duel Florin!

7. Mistakes in pacing and/or presentation you don't want repeated?: It's a part of the books I enjoy but they tend to jump around a tremendous amount. I wouldn't mind the narrative skipping a little less and focusing more on individual groups at a time.

8. Levels of Sex: I'd like to see a little more to be honest. Don't just have the boys and lasses hop into bed but something a trifle more built up would be nice. I very much enjoyed Florin's relationship with Miss Crownsilver and was disappointed to see her offed.

9. Amount of Introspection: Definitely more Swords of Eveningstar Scenes where they think about why they want to be adventurers.

10. Amount of combat: Less is more. I'd like to see the All Hell breaking loose replaced with a little more personal dueling and higher quality foes that take time and intelligence to defeat versus the Hordes of Mooks.

quote:
The only thing I want in Ed's books is a dramatis personae

God yes.

Actually, I'd like an Appendix. Not all of us have perfect memories for Realms Lore and a Little Eberron style encyclopedia like they put in the back of their books or Tolkien would be great. That goes like this for one obvious example.

Alusair: 13 year old Princess of Cormyr, precocious. Alusair is the second daughter of King Azoun and Queen Filfariel. The sister of Tanalasta.

The more detailed the better but this would help a lot.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 17 Oct 2007 20:12:18
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  21:14:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
There is little I can think of that I would want differently, I will just wait and see. If it where anything I would say that long action scenes are not my thing, but that has not been a tendency in these books anyway. So any characters you can think of, as long descriptions as you are allowed, and in general, just do what you do best. Write the books as you want to write them.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  21:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

My pleasure.
love,
THO

I would love to see more character introspection (though of course, not to the level of self indulgent navel-gazing), more reflection on how far the Knights have come, and how they react to in-story events. I'd prefer to see less running around in a dungeon such what happened in the last book--although parts of that were humorous, I have to admit that it DID grow repetitive after a while. Of course, fit in as much character interaction as possible--that's what I love about your books.

Take care,

Rinonalyrna

PS: Edited for clarification.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Oct 2007 23:17:43
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  00:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

My pleasure.

Argh... I'd have suggestions, if only I'd been able to get my hands on a copy of Swords of Dragonfire!!!

Last time I checked, Milsims didn't have it. Borders doesn't have it, and tell me that I'll need to order it from them and they'll import it especially for me. Or else, I suppose I could just import it myself through Amazon.

The really frustrating thing is, it's not the only book I'm having problems with... A Grand History of the Realms, Sacrifice of the Widow, and Storm of the Dead are all on my list of books to get and none of them have arrived here in Melbourne, so far as I've been able to ascertain. (Though I probably should bug Milsims again, see if they've managed to get stock.)

I have never had this kind of problem before with Forgotten Realms products, so it is rather worrying. Borders - their stock is practically wall to wall Salvatore (including his latest releases), with a few other very old titles from the beginning of last year (as far as I've been able to tell). Milsims is usually very good, but I've had problems with them in the last year as well (plus they're not exactly local)...

Anyway, rant over. I really enjoyed Swords of Eveningstar, and am quite glad I managed to get it. I was a little disappointed with the death of young Lady Crownsilver, though.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  01:05:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

My pleasure.
love,
THO

I'm rather happy with the way it is, Ed. You've once again managed to strike a decent balance between creative story-telling and wholesome action... an aspect of your stories that I've always found thoroughly satisfying. And then there's the Realmslore, that you've peppered generously throughout the entire trilogy so far... just keep it coming!

There's really nothing I would suggest you need to "do more of."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2007 01:06:28
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  02:17:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Do more of what Ed does best.

1. Sex
2. Off color hilarity.
3. Talk about sex that happened "offstage"
4. Run Around until utterly out of breath, but still able to carry on several different threads of conversation and jokes.
5. Save a kingdom or three.
6. Foil plots unknown to them.
7. Did I mention Sex?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  13:20:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I've sent you an email.

Hopefully our lovely Lady Herald of Realmslore will let me know whether it reaches you intact.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:03:01  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:

My pleasure.

Maybe a collection of new short stories? That would give him the freedom to focus on what he wants. And becasue Ed creates such fully realized characters and situations, I think each of his short stories would be more entertaining than most of the 500, 600-page behemoths out there !

Edited by - RodOdom on 18 Oct 2007 18:07:13
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:05:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

quote:

My pleasure.

Maybe a collection of new short stories? Becasue Ed creates such fully realized characters and situations, I think each of his short stories would be more entertaining than most of the 500, 600-page behemoths out there !

Yes, and each of those short stories are even better if they are turned into 500, 600-page tomes of Ed-lore .
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  00:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello again Ed and THO.

I'm hoping this question doesn't hit an NDA, though one question that was in a similar area got shot down earlier in the year. But I'll ask anyway. See if we can learn anything. It's one that might be a little controversial too.

Firstly, do people in the Realms consider unborn children to have souls? Are there differences depending on region and faiths?

Secondly, if unborn children die somehow, do they get into the afterlife?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  00:15:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hello again Ed and THO.

I'm hoping this question doesn't hit an NDA, though one question that was in a similar area got shot down earlier in the year. But I'll ask anyway. See if we can learn anything. It's one that might be a little controversial too.

Firstly, do people in the Realms consider unborn children to have souls? Are there differences depending on region and faiths?

Not sure if NDA applies, however you clearly tread close, if not beyound, Code of Conduct for Candlekeep for bringing religious views of the RW.

One simple answer is under 3.X all charaters are adults, there are no children. If this stands though all the splat books. There are no children except some NPCs.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  00:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
Charles Phipps stole my brain!

He said exactly what I was going to put down in response to the question about the third book in the series...

Damned mindtaker!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:12:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Hello again Ed and THO.

Not sure if NDA applies, however you clearly tread close, if not beyound, Code of Conduct for Candlekeep for bringing religious views of the RW.

One simple answer is under 3.X all charaters are adults, there are no children. If this stands though all the splat books. There are no children except some NPCs.

I don't see that it is beyond the code of Conduct...

Drizzt's mom used him when he was being born...not to mention some ol' drivel about Drow children even devouring each other in the womb or something???

From an evil DM standpoint it could be an important question if a PC's NPC wife is with child, abducted and promptly killed by some evil cult.

I think it is a good question...if a bit shaky simply because most folks do indeed try to steer away from mentioning children most often in their games.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:14:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It's a question specifically directed toward Ed. And we've allowed similarly-themed questions to be posed to him previously, so I really don't see any problem here.

Uzzy's question isn't the subject of a scroll, and hasn't been debated to the point where discussion about real-world religions has become a concern. It's still wholly Realms-related. So I'll allow it.

However, all scribes reading this, should remember this is a discussion scroll for Ed and his replies. Please don't clutter it with alternate posts on how you would individually tackle Uzzy's question. [I'm noting this through an EDIT due to Dalor's reply above]

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2007 01:16:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:18:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello again Ed and THO.

And Uzzy, I'm not entirely sure, since I don't remember specifically, but I think Ed's touched on this topic of subject before. While you're waiting for his reply, you might want to search through the compiled reply files.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  04:02:52  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

My pleasure.
love,
THO

I just bought the first of the Knights trilogy yesterday (I know, I'm way behind on my Realms... but as I see it, being behind in your Realms these days is not such a bad thing ***spellplague-COUGH-spellplague!*** )

I don't know when Ed has to finish the last book, but if I get to the first one soon enough, I will make sure to give him my thoughts on the more or less sex part (and other things too, I mean... )

Without having read the first book, there's one thing I'd like to see, for some reason, in Ed's future Realms books: more priestly action. To capture the essence of a good-aligned priest, and describe the effect of his divine spellcasting, as well as what he feels at the moment... to portray him with his clergy/order/faithfuls... much to explore there. I've always felt priests took a backseat in Realms novels, especially in Cormyr, where people grow up righteous and good. I'm sorry, but although "blood" or "genes" might have something to do with the fact that Cormyreans are "just good folks", I refuse to accept that a strong monarchy backed up by a secret police can be the only reason why Cormyr always had that paladin feel to it... Where are the holy warriors?? Where are the gentle, timid priests who work with the people, but when pressed, explode in holy mace-whirling fury to smithe orc/goblin/zhentish scum off the face of the Forest Kingdom?

Addendum to last: And I'd like to see more raise dead / resurrection action happening in novels. I know: it's controversial and too DeusEx for most authors to "cave in" to that "weak" plot patch... but nay I say! it's the opposite! I say the Realms would be served greatly by an appropriate, in depth handling of the effects of that 5th-level Raise Dead spell being used in the Realms. I get the feel most authors avoid the spell or act like it's not there. I'm sorry, but it's there in the game. And Realms novels pretty much support everything else in the game, so why not that? Priesthoods in Faerun don't get the respect they deserve. If I have a suggestion in terms of what I'd like to see in future Realms novels: more visibility on clergies. If I'd write a Realms novel (thank God I am not, for your collective sake), I'd have every main powerful character (Azoun, Alustriel, Simbul, etc.) constantly worry about what the High Priests would think about this and that... we're talking about holy figures that can decide if your daughter/wife will get that healing spell or not when time comes, and whether or not they would be willing to bring you back from the Fugue to let you finish a quest or see the birth of your firstborn, etc.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 19 Oct 2007 04:13:42
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  14:11:38  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Lady Hooded One, I would echo Jamallo Kreen's request for astrological information.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  14:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I'd like to go with the Raise Dead sentiment too. It'd be nice to see a Noble effectively "disinherited" like Ed says would happen to him if he was brought back to life. Eds already talked about what a massive social life destroyer it is amongst the nobility, it'd be nice to see someone deal with it. Perhaps even done by a priest who thought he was doing the guy a favor.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  17:45:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Thank you for the questions and your posts as to what you'd like to see or not see in THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS; please keep them coming! In the other direction, I have two Realmslore tidbits to pass on from Ed this time, to whit:

Scribe Jamello Kreen posted: “Well met! If it's not NDA, will Ed please tell us what specific type of undead the Skulls are (demiliches, perhaps), or are they sui generis?”
And Ed replies:

Sorry, but these are under a specific NDA right now. It may be months before they are “out” of it, but I won’t forget or mislay your question. Skeptic was quite right to direct you to Eric’s CITY OF SPLENDORS work; he and I discussed the Skulls in one of our many private phone conflabs, prior to publication, so you can take what it said therein as “canon gospel.”

So saith Ed. Kuje also posted a recent query that included this: “However, I'm really interested if Ed could detail how philosophy is different in FR. Or even include some of the more widely used sayings/quotes related to philosophy and subjects related to philosophy.”
Ed replies:

Certainly. When I have more time I’ll get to this. I have touched on it briefly before, and of course many of the “header quotes” I concocted to open chapters in my novels or as frontispieces for FR game products reflect various philosophies of life. In general, those few Faerûnians who closely and devoutly venerate one god above all others follow the views of that deity and the priesthood of that deity; most other folk in the Realms pick up “clever sayings” that they ‘can relate to’ from everywhere (sages, bards, orators, and various faiths), concocting their own personal mixture to serve as a world-view.
In general, these world-views can be categorized into two sorts: the essentially fatalistic “the gods determine everything; except as I can anticipate what they will cause or escape their notice, my life as it unfolds is determined by them, and I should either accept it, drifting along and awaiting what comes, or at best succeed by understanding and anticipating them, and benefitting thereby” and the essentially self-oriented “we are what we make of ourselves; those who act upon the world rather than just reacting, and who try to understand the forces at work in the Realms [from the Weave to the current tides of opinion, the relative powers of countries, and politics] and through that understanding Do The Right Things to benefit themselves, will both succeed and please the gods because we are acting, and thus becoming part of energies that have positive results in the Realms, than than the dronelike, ignorant masses of life who drift and are dragged along, and have no impact that they seek or attempt to achieve.”
Some churches smile upon those who try to think, understand, and act for themselves; others regard such behaviour (as opposed to seeking guidance from their clergy or a priesthood) as near-blasphemy. In general, trading settlements (from Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Athkatla, and Suzail down to Waymoot, Triboar, and Bargewright Inn) have populations dominated by tolerance for the “active” thinkers, who scorn any clerical denunciation of such attitudes.

So saith Ed. Who is MORE than busy right now with Realms work, believe me!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  19:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Addendum to last: And I'd like to see more raise dead / resurrection action happening in novels. I know: it's controversial and too DeusEx for most authors to "cave in" to that "weak" plot patch... but nay I say! it's the opposite! I say the Realms would be served greatly by an appropriate, in depth handling of the effects of that 5th-level Raise Dead spell being used in the Realms. I get the feel most authors avoid the spell or act like it's not there.

You ought to check out the Lady Penitent novels, then.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Oct 2007 19:29:08
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  22:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
quote:
In general, these world-views can be categorized into two sorts: the essentially fatalistic “the gods determine everything; except as I can anticipate what they will cause or escape their notice, my life as it unfolds is determined by them, and I should either accept it, drifting along and awaiting what comes, or at best succeed by understanding and anticipating them, and benefitting thereby” and the essentially self-oriented “we are what we make of ourselves; those who act upon the world rather than just reacting, and who try to understand the forces at work in the Realms [from the Weave to the current tides of opinion, the relative powers of countries, and politics] and through that understanding Do The Right Things to benefit themselves, will both succeed and please the gods because we are acting, and thus becoming part of energies that have positive results in the Realms, than than the dronelike, ignorant masses of life who drift and are dragged along, and have no impact that they seek or attempt to achieve.”

Would it be possible to get an idea of what kind of philosophical literature might exist? The world view stuff is very interesting but are there any people who really try to explore things rationally? Epistemologists, existentialists, etc, anything like the kind of modern philosophical schools of thought that we see in our own world?
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  23:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Weirdly, I wonder if most of today's philosophical models are explored through religion.

I.e. Aristotelian rationality is the Province of Gond.

Nietzsche's works is the province of Banite dogma.

Etc.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  03:05:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Warrax, Ed will indeed explore the various Faerunian philosophers and their written works here, when he has the time. That's precisely what he meant by "get to this," because the original questions he's responding to asked about books and the thinkers who penned them.
As to WHEN he has the time; ah, that's the kicker. He's off to Pentacon soon, and horribly busy with writing work between now and the end of January. He's not even sure if he'll be able to keep up with his hitherto pretty-regular schedule of Realmslore replies here at the Keep! Sigh.
On the other hand, at least two of the reasons for his busy-ness are things that would make all Realms fans happy, if he or I were able to identify them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000