Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  01:53:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A postscript for The Sage and others interested or potentially interested in SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE: Ed tells me that there is a "treat" coming up on the Wizards website related to the book. No, not the wallpaper that you can download right now, nice though it is, but something written by Ed.
Remember that "encounter" Ed had with the Seven Sisters?
No, it's not a sequel to that, it's - - no, Ed won't tell me. Yet. You'll just have to wait and see . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  02:16:27  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ooooh! I had a feeling something like this was coming. Thank you, my Lady. And tell Ed I'm winking in his direction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  02:22:14  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

No, not the wallpaper that you can download right now, nice though it is...
Which is available here, for those who are interested.

Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  13:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Thangorn's Homepage Send Thangorn a Private Message
Greetings Oh Great Progenitor of Realmslore and Esteemed (and somewhat frisky from what I can gather) Lady amongst the dusty scrolls..

I have another question to throw upon the heap as it were.

I wonder oh Master of all things Faerunian, if you have occassion to share with us some insights into religious music in the Realms.
My particular areas of interest are the hymns of the not-so-nice dieties, your Loviatars, Banes and Malars for example. Any music of the evil and divinely inspired interests me.

What role does music play in the evil religions, if at all? and if it is possible for you to wax lyrical about such matters, could you possibly share with us some examples?

My thanks to you both in advance.

Thangs

A Land Far Away (ALFA)
A Forgotten Realms persistent world for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
www.alandfaraway.org

Head Builder, DM & FR canon despot ALFA NWN2 Moonsea project.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  17:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
My lovely lady, would it be possible for me to drop you an email? I've a semi-related Realms lore query that I'd like to keep private for the time being.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  19:02:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Of course.
You have the e-addy, yes? (Via the good Sage.)
If not, just let me know.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  20:47:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed, I'm wondering if I should buy book 2 of the swords book and bring it to be signed or will they be available at the Gencon?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  01:07:48  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Of course.
You have the e-addy, yes? (Via the good Sage.)
If not, just let me know.
love,
THO

The Lady K does indeed have the e-addy. Thanks THO. I'll let her know.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  03:04:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Back in May, Kuje posed a two-pronged array of animal-related questions. Ed will leave the second and more heavy-duty set of queries for another time, but reply as much as he can to the first array of questions, which are these: “Whatever happened to the two hounds that Storm had in the early material? Where did she procure them? What were their names? Did they have any puppies? Etc. Details Ed, please! :)”
Ed replies:

Those weren’t canines born-and-bred, but rather humans forcibly shapechanged into that form for a time by Mystra, as a penance (so the arrogant pride that had led them to transgress would be broken or tempered by having to serve others for a time, in hound shape). Their follies, real names, and stories are self-imposed-NDA for now (personal ‘home Realms campaign’ and possible future Realms fiction reasons), but Storm (who knew their true natures and all about their punishment; and yes, they were aware she knew) called them “Arauth” and “Beldobran” (after two early servitors of [the first] Mystra who gained great power in Her service, and ultimately sacrificed themselves to defend her and the Weave). So, no, they did not have any puppies. :}

So saith Ed. Revealing the minimum he has to, for the reasons given above. WELL, now (as Torm would drawl), THAT’S interesting . . .
createvmind, Ed sure HOPES Wizards (and other vendors; there's a Borders book booth down the western end of the exhibit hall) will have copies of SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE at the con, but he can't get confirmation on that, nor learn how many they'll have (they ran out the first afternoon one year, and only avoided running out the first day, another year, by rushing a second shipment to the con [both shipments sold out, but at least there were some copies still to be had on "the big day" (Saturday)]. He'll keep trying to get word on that, in the few days he has left before starting the drive down . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Aug 2007 03:07:06
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  05:13:03  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Interesting reply, very interesting. I'd ask more but it'll probably be NDA, so I'll settle for that. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  00:59:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes of these candle-filled halls. I bring you the words of Ed, this time to Kajehase, re. this: “Greetings Ed and the Hooded One.
I was reading Ed's Elminster's Guide to the Realms article in Dragon #289 - "The Shunned Street" - and now I'm wondering how widespread knowledge of the Arcane mark ward spell presented therein is. Is it a Thayvian exclusive, or does wizards of other regions also know of it (or of identical spells researched independently)?”
Ed replies:

That particular spell is a surprisingly overlooked magic, given that it is quite widespread. “Out of fashion, and therefore out of mind” is perhaps the best way to describe it. Like spats. Many of us have seen them in movies, worn by W.C. Fields or any number of others, but very few us own any, or customarily wear any, or even know where to readily get any.
So, no, the spell is not a Thayvian exclusive, and its fairly simple nature (utilizing spellcasting forms that can be described almost as “mainstream”) lends it to readily being researched or experimentally derived independently. It just hasn’t (yet, perhaps) “caught on” much. Unless you as a DM want it to, of course. :}

So saith Ed. Creator of enough D&D spells to fill a book or two (oh, wait; they already have ). But then, he never stops weaving new magic . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  02:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hello dear Ed and THO.

I want to know if Ed can provide us some information about the thri-kreen of the Shining Plains. Their social organization, customns, beliefs and gods.

One of my players want to play a thri-kreen monk/psichic warrior, and I'm thinking in expand the info of the Vilhon Reach supplement for him.

Thanks in advance.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

poilbrun
Seeker

Belgium
17 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  17:12:23  Show Profile  Visit poilbrun's Homepage Send poilbrun a Private Message
Hello,

I have a question of meaning.
I will give birth to a girl in a few months and we love two names in particular :
Laeral and Alassra.

Therefore, we would like to know if those two names have a meaning or a translation, and if so, what is it?

Thank you very much, I can't wait to hear from you.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  02:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Jamallo, Ed chuckled at your Harry Potter reference. He told me he still has two Mac IIs, but both have the same fault: a capacitor has "gone bad" somewhere on the motherboard, so he can start each of them up ONCE (because they fry the entire power supply, each time they run). As getting power supplies is now darn near impossible, Ed doesn't turn them on any more. You'll probably be happy to know many early Realms products were written on those Mac IIs.
love,
THO

Oh, the motherboards of Mac II computers ... I think that a certain compound word using "mother" has often been applied to those motherboards. Still ... it was thrilling to contemplate that my desk had, sitting upon it, a little box with more computing power than existed in England, Germany and the USA combined in WWII -- enough computing power to set up a moon launch, if one had the right software. Nu, now the things don't have enough power to even boot up contemporary computers. (And sitting at my Mac II, I often remembered the breathless prediction in Analog after the release of the Altair that soon -- certainly within the decade -- personal computers might have as much as 16k of RAM! ) *sigh* It's ever so much easier, though, to palm off one's writing on some Deneirath monk....

Ahem! To the questions! Of which I have two:

1. what happens to a well-made lich's phylactery when it is attacked by a (2nd edition) Mordenkainen's disjunction, and what happens to a well-made lich's phylactery when it is attacked by a (3rd edition) disjunction?

2. Rashemen excluded, are there "real" witches (a la Wicca or pick-your-flavor Neo-Paganism) on Toril? In Mongoose's Quintessential Witch, and in some other game systems, witches are considered "divine" spellcasters, but what's the deal with that on Toril? Do witches worship a male-female duality into which Chauntea and Silvanus readily step, or a light-dark duality (Selune and Shar?), or is there something more complex? Or "arcane" casters and not "divine" casters? Or are they simply non-existent as such on Toril? (I hope that Ed will expound in some detail upon this, since I suspect that the average traveller is more likely to meet some "hedge wizard" in the outback or some village "wise woman" than a spellslinger who can alter the very fabric of the Cosmos at will, and who knows secrets which would drive an ordinary person mad -- mad, mad! -- if they knew them.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  03:24:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed has chosen to respond this time around to poilbrun's post just two above this one, so I won't repeat it here. Ed says:

Please accept my good wishes! I have to admit that I just coined (invented) both of those names; they aren't translations or even derivations of anything except that they had to "look and sound" female (the "ra" ending, for example), and they had to "sound righgt" when applied to the two characters I invented them for. One can see the word "lass" in the middle of "Alassra," but I didn't deliberately build the name around that word (unlike, say Alustriel, which WAS deliberately built around the word "lust").
So the two names, so far as I know, don't "mean anything" in an old language or have any intended hidden meanings. I would feel honoured if you chose one of them for your daughter, but of course you should do what I did, when creating them: say them, read them, and use them over and over, consciously applying them to the human being you want to apply them to (along with any other naming choices you may have selected), and in the end pick the one that seems "right" to you.
It would be wrong of me to try to influence this decision in any way, beyond providing the bare answer to your question, so I'll end now. Happy choosing!

. . . And there you have it; Ed's answer. Smiling just as he is, I leave you now,
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mehangel
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  22:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Mehangel's Homepage  Click to see Mehangel's MSN Messenger address Send Mehangel a Private Message
I was looking through Champions of Valor when I came across mention of the tree temple Teumyshaaril, which is to Rillifane Rallathil page 138. States that it is located "in the heart of the High Forest".

Then later when reading in the book Silver Marches I discovered mention of the grandfather tree which is supposedly the "mightiest tree on the face of Faerun" page 27. At first I thought that these two were one and the same, but when viewing the map, it shows the grandfather tree being located at the border of Turlang, the Treant's Wood. This is clearly not at the Heart of the High Forest. If these two trees are the same why does it only say that it is sacred to Silvanus, and if these two trees are not the same tree, is it also sacred to the leaflord?

As I went to investigate further into the matter I found that the only tree that Rillifane Rallathil truly holds in regard is The Moontouch Oak by the forest of Cormanthyr. (I do not mean to say that the leaflord does not care for the other trees but his description only mentions one.) As I did more research I found that the Moontouch Oak is the largest tree in faerun.

So my questions are these:

1) Which of the two/three trees are the tallest/grandist.

2) Which of the above trees in mention is "most favored" of Rillifane Rallathil.

3) Both the grandfather tree and Teumyshaaril are home to Wood Elves, does he also have many wood elves in addition to wild elves?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3302 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  00:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Here's the reply I posted to Mehangel's questions on the... Gleemax boards.
quote:
They're not the same. 'Those few elves who have encountered the Grandfather Tree in recent centuries typically venerate it as a manifestation of Rillifane Rallathil' (see the "Mintiper's Chapbook" article).

1. Indeterminate: I don't imagine anyone measuring them like Midwest 'World's Largest Ball of String'-style roadside attractions, or that spiritual elven tree-worshippers are too concerned with whose is biggest. If you had to bet, Grandfather Tree is 'Without a doubt the mightiest tree' while Moontouch Oak is 'believed to be the largest living oak'.

2. Probably, in as far as it can be known, Moontouch Oak, from its prominent mention in Demihuman Deities and the tenor of the descriptions, including the relatively recent religious use of the Teymyshaaril tree. But it's self-involved priests who worry about who's 'most favoured', not the truly devout. See the kerfuffle between Eldathyn and Mielikkians over Eldath's Water in Cloak of Shadows.

These are sacred sites. The holier of Mount Olympus and Mount Fuji is whichever you're close to, and it's irrelevant which is physically tallest.

Edited by - Faraer on 11 Aug 2007 00:00:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  01:25:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Once more I place before you the words of Ed of the Greenwood, creator of the Realms, this time in response to Bahgtru’s question: “Last year you responded to a question of mine about Madeiron Sunderstone and indicated he is a character you would like to write about time permitting. Any chance he will find print in the near future? Thank you in advance!”
Ed replies:

Unfortunately, not that I know of, unless a scribe who reads this is crafty enough to suggest his inclusion in the next Spin A Yarn tale at GenCon. (Even then, your definition of “near future” may not fit how long it may take to get that story “up” on the Wizards website; I’ve recently learned that the 2006 yarn still hasn’t appeared.) However, I’m still interested in Madeiron and consider him one of the many “neglected” characters of the Realms I’d like to see more of. One way or another, I would still like to get him into some of my Realms fiction . . .

So saith Ed, voicing his eternal lament of “Not enough time! Not enough wordcount! Not enough breadth in these products, to sneak in all I want to sneak in!”
I fear the reasons behind those complaints are not going to go away. Ever. Yet consider how much we’ve already got. The Realms IS the most detailed fantasy setting yet, and still unfolding before us, more than forty years after a young Eddie sat alone with it in his father’s den . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

poilbrun
Seeker

Belgium
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  14:04:35  Show Profile  Visit poilbrun's Homepage Send poilbrun a Private Message
Thanks THO and pass my thanks to Ed for his quick reply.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  14:39:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Good day again Sweet Lady of the Hood. Sorry to add to Eds ever growing workload, but I was wondering, would it be possible to get the names of some of the settlements of Turmish? With the exception of the main cities there is very little in the published sources. Any other information you would be able to give about these and matters turmish will of course be met with thanks also.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  16:32:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jorkens, are you familiar with Ed's coverage of Turmish in his "ELMINSTER'S EVERWINKING EYE" column in the old POLYHEDRON Newszine? Ed covered the countryside, not the cities. I know there are indices ("indexes" to Americans) out on the Net that cover which POLY issues have what . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  17:01:44  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed. As I recall, the POLYHEDRON articles feature lore on Turmish that didn't make it into Vilhon Reach accessory. The coverage of Turmish in POLYHEDRON:- #96, 98, 101, 103–108.

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  17:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Lady THO and Ed,
I just read Swords of Dragonfire and really, really enjoyed it. I know Ed has a third Knights book next year, but can he tell us yet what his Realms fiction plans are after that?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  17:20:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sage, thanks for providing the issue numbers. I wasn't an RPGA member, and have always had to peek at Ed's issues.
However, Ed wrote those articles well before Jim Butler wrote the VILHON REACH sourcebook, so they can't be "leftovers" from it. In those days, Ed was so busy (heh; big change from THESE days, hmm?) with other Realms writing projects that he used to drop everything for a week and write 20 or so Poly articles and fire them off to the editor, so there'd be a large stack of not-yet-published text that the editor could rely on (lots of POLY articles got "donated" at the last moment by overworking TSR staffers, or arrived long after being promised by RPGA gamers who were great at designing and playing, but not so great at sitting down and formally typing up their stuff). So some of Ed's stuff was written and submitted two to three years before it got published.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  18:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Indeed. As I recall, the POLYHEDRON articles feature lore on Turmish that didn't make it into Vilhon Reach accessory. The coverage of Turmish in POLYHEDRON:- #96, 98, 101, 103–108.

Sage, only a doubt: in the Player's Guide to the Vilhon Reach, p. 2, it's said that Turmish is covered in the issues 96, 98, 101, 103-107 of the Polyhedron.
There is some more info in the issue 108?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000