Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  22:41:41  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hang in there, everybody! The sky is not falling!

I gotcha, thank you !
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  22:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I wonder if that was the fellow Jeff and I *handled* at the WotC booth?

(Sheesh--that sounds so Sopranos. )

Actually, it sounds kinda sexy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  22:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

From what Ed said, Erik, I think so (he appreciated not only what you did, BTW, but the way you handled it).
Kajehase, re. Vangerdahast: that's exactly what Ed has been trying to explore with Vangey. How power corrupts, and how much evil someone can do while honestly TRYING to do good . . . and how what "evil" is depends on the differing viewpoints of those affected by/witnessing the deeds of the Royal Magician.
RodOdom, Ed can say very little about 4e Realms right now, for two reasons: NDAs and because: "Regarding many matters, I just don't KNOW the answers, yet. Change is always unsettling, so I quite understand why many scribes are upset, and many of the concerns raised by scribes are valid ones, and the 'worst case horror' scenarios raised by some would indeed be disasters, IF they happened. However, the best advice I can give right now is: wait and see. I as well as many other longtime Realms fans and designers are still aboard, we still love the Realms, everyone at Wizards wants the Realms to continue to succeed as setting, and we're all working hard on that. For some gamers, continuing their campaign at its current 'date' is the logical thing to do; regarding how best to handle your current characters, the best thing to do is wait and see the specific rules re. conversion or rebuild. Hang in there, everybody! The sky is not falling!"

So saith Ed. Thus far.
love to all,
THO

As someone who isn't especially happy about certain upcoming changes, I do appreciate the words of reassurance. Thanks again.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  23:06:33  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message
quote:

Hang in there, everybody! The sky is not falling!"

So saith Ed. Thus far.
love to all,
THO

Sorry just can't resist. Of course it isn't falling. That only happened once a long time ago when some upstart mage thought he could do a better job of being a god better than...well a goddess!

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  00:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Sorry about this, but I gotta get this off my chest before I really do end up a nervous wreck. Oh yeah, and mild spoilers for The Orc King.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
As someone who isn't especially happy about certain upcoming changes, I do appreciate the words of reassurance. Thanks again.

I don't know whether or be reassured or not. Especially in the light of the spoilers in the Drizzt novel The Orc King, and the implications of the Lady Penitent novels thus far.

Yes, change is unsettling. Unnecessary change even more so.

Elves looking nothing like the Sun and Moon Elves that we already know (will Sun and Moon Elves become Eladrin?)? Eilistraee going to win then loose big (In absorbing Vhaearun, the rumor goes she'll become Neutral. Drizzt says her followers are "Gone"!)? The Spellplague having gods knows what effects on some of my favorite NPCs? 10 or 100 years in the future virtually ensures that other favorite NPCs will be dead and gone or at least more in the background (unless they have the fortune to be Elves, in which case how changed will they be?).

Yes, that is the litany so far, I fear more is to come. It's really putting me off, and I haven't heard anything that's really excited me (except the rumor that Changelings might become a core race and may even be incorporated into the Realms). At this stage, unless something big comes out that really invigorates me about the 4e changes to the setting, I may cease to collect Forgotten Realms come 4e. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in that position right now judging from the gloom and doom over at the WotC forums. Personally it's a decision I really don't want to make, but as they say "all good things come to an end".

Just one last comment, I actually play Dungeons and Dragons because it allows me to play a heroic character doing things I can't do in a world that is far more hopeful than our own. I don't play Dungeons and Dragons to have the gloom and doom of the real world thrust upon me. Points of Light might be fine for the core, but with the way the Realms are going it looks like they're plunging right along into it as well... That would be the thing that would put me off the most.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  00:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

I don't know whether or be reassured or not. Especially in the light of the spoilers in the Drizzt novel The Orc King, and the implications of the Lady Penitent novels thus far.

Comforting words from Ed have a way of reassuring me (seriously).

quote:
I don't play Dungeons and Dragons to have the gloom and doom of the real world thrust upon me.

I totally feel the same way. My thoughts on what we already know of 4E Realms are much like your own. But I'm happy because I know if I don't like something, I don't have to use in MY Realms (which is already quite different from the canon Realms).

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Sep 2007 00:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  02:09:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Who has taken pains, over the years, NOT to portray Vangerdahast as an evil man, but rather a man who will do ANYTHING to preserve and strengthen the realm of Cormyr (and remake that realm into what he thinks it should be). Vangey, like Filfaeril, is one of Ed’s “fascinating but underappreciated” Realms characters.
love to all,
THO
Not underappreciated by me. It is my favorite Realms character. An unsung hero who had the courage to make personal sacrifices time and time again to keep Cormyr pure. He left the popularity contests for others, was ridiculed countless time, and was treated poorly not only by the nobles, but even by the Royals who he had devoted his life to protect. Many times he could have fallen to evil, turn around and blast an impertinent young king, princess or queen to oblivion, and he sure had the power and reach to organize the assassination of treacherous nobles. Yet he did not.

I'm glad he's still in the woods, keeping the Forest Kingdom honest. At least now, Ed has granted him a reward, if I judge it by the way his new female warrior guest was talking to him... perhaps in female companionship, he will now rediscover his inner goodness, which he has stowed away for decades under a hard shell of patriotism and a thick skin loyalty.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  03:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
quote:

Erik
Rogue/Devoted Defender

so, if I go to Gencon next year, how do I get to be a handler for Ed-stalkers? or is it Ed-stalker wrangling? (do I wear a cowboy hat or black suit and tie?)

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  04:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
At this stage, unless something big comes out that really invigorates me about the 4e changes to the setting, I may cease to collect Forgotten Realms come 4e. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in that position right now judging from the gloom and doom over at the WotC forums. Personally it's a decision I really don't want to make, but as they say "all good things come to an end".

That's pretty much where I am with the Realms, though I figure to hang on a little longer and see how things go. I'm actually quite entertained by book one of the Empyrean Odyssey and I did really enjoy the WOTSQ series quite a lot. Also, Unclean is the start of a very, VERY promising series by Richard Lee Byers.

So while I may completely ignore WotC's game supplements for the Realms, I think I'll be pleasantly engaged by the fiction that the authors are producing. Plus, I still have to back-collect like half of the 2e-era books anyway.

quote:
Just one last comment, I actually play Dungeons and Dragons because it allows me to play a heroic character doing things I can't do in a world that is far more hopeful than our own. I don't play Dungeons and Dragons to have the gloom and doom of the real world thrust upon me. Points of Light might be fine for the core, but with the way the Realms are going it looks like they're plunging right along into it as well... That would be the thing that would put me off the most.

Eh, it all depends on what kind of campaign you're after. Sometimes I really rather enjoy a ridiculously dark and moody setting where you can play an anti-hero instead of a shiny knight in blood-splattered armor wading through hip-deep piles of orc corpses, you know?
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  04:11:31  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
I don't want to pester Ed or make this into a petition box about 4e (moderators, please delete this post if you see it being so) But I have a real DM experience that may or may not be relevant. It seems a bit too convenient, but it actually happened to me on rpol.net

Not long ago I ran a web-based game set in FR for a group of players I was unfamiliar with. I wanted to start out the campaign by throwing them a curveball by transporting their characters back in time by a few centuries, turning the village they were living in into orc occupied territory (near Luskan.) I'm not a great DM, but their out-of-game reaction to it was very negative, almost hostile. One guy said I was cheating them out of an authentic Realmsian experience. I felt really hurt, as I was trying give things a sense of mystery in a part of the Realms they probably were very familiar with. On the other hand I was trying to cover up my shortcomings as a DM, so I figured it was my fault, quit the group, and did my best to forget about the whole thing.

I'm kind of seeing the same thing right now. We FR fans can be forgiving with RSEs and other major changes to the setting. But when the changes are so major that our accumulated knowledge of the Realms is somehow made obsolete or irrelevant, we can feel quite betrayed. I personally look forward to finding out more about the 4e changes, but I can see why my fellow fans can feel otherwise.

Edited by - RodOdom on 13 Sep 2007 04:13:00
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  04:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
Hmm... I just realized something; I'm going to be significantly closer to Port Hope than I thought.

Instead of being at the 400/401... I'm going to be at Morningside at Ellesmere. That'll cut like a half an hour off of my trip... Go, go going to school in Scarborough...

As an aside, I agree with PDK: Vangy is all kinds of fun!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  09:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

*SPOILERS for Elminster's Daughter*

In this space, I'd just like to echo previous posters appreciation for Vangerdahast. He was very much a fixture of Cormyr, and while I didn't always like him, I kind of understood where he was coming from. Of all the NPCs in the Realms labeled LN, he seemed to fit the definition of it best. (This is not to say I don't like Caladnei better, however. But that's just my bias speaking... and while my bias is speaking...)

Ed, can you name any female Myrmeen has been linked to romantically in the past? I mean, you said she was bisexual, but it's a little hard to believe when every person she is ever romantically linked to in text is male. (I'd ultimately like to see the "wasted" years of Myrmeen's life mentioned somewhere, and that she eventually did find a soulmate (male or female, but you can guess my preference )... But as far as I can tell, unless she does something about her age, I can't see Myrmeen still controlling Arabel in 4e (10 years, maybe, 100 years definitely not!)... And did I ever mention that Myrmeen is one of my most favorite NPCs? (The only one I like better is Storm!))

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
I'm glad he's still in the woods, keeping the Forest Kingdom honest. At least now, Ed has granted him a reward, if I judge it by the way his new female warrior guest was talking to him... perhaps in female companionship, he will now rediscover his inner goodness, which he has stowed away for decades under a hard shell of patriotism and a thick skin loyalty.

Highlight below for spoilers...
Not sure what you're talking about here. He didn't get to enjoy "female companionship" for very long... As far as I know he was turned into a dragon, and is now in stasis alongside a female dragon who agreed to be his consort without seeming to know him very well (though to be fair we really don't know what she know about him). He left behind a pregnant Myrmeen to deal with his "heir", without actually being with her for very long it seems.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 13 Sep 2007 09:14:16
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  10:51:21  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Here's an interesting question:

Can the shockwave from a smokepowder explosion put out a fire? I know in the real world that a low explosive like Blackpowder can't do it, but a higher explosive can.

Or could a wizard use a sonic burst to put out a fire? Cause I know that a low frequency sonic pressure wave can put out fire from the real world.

(Information gained from a Mythbuster Episode)

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  12:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hi Ed, and dear THO!

I have a question concerning chondatan words and terms:

I want to know if there is a proper term in chondatan to "son of the hope".

Just a little question, but will help to develop more a PC in my campaign.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  15:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Actually, it sounds kinda sexy.

Mm-mmm, you know it, 'Lyrna.

quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

so, if I go to Gencon next year, how do I get to be a handler for Ed-stalkers? or is it Ed-stalker wrangling? (do I wear a cowboy hat or black suit and tie?)

GenCon has no dress code I'm aware of, so yeah, go all out. I'm thinking black suits and dark glasses and a memory flashy thing--
zzzt!

What was I saying?

A tiny note on the subject of 4e that's been discussed: this looks a lot like the fear and uncertainty that accompanied each of the previous edition shifts--despite those major, major shifts, the Realms is still going very, very strong.

I'm in a wait-and-see frame of mind--the Realms is a treasured thing for me, but I'm not going to panic because it *might* not be something I like. I have too much invested in the world to cast it all off without seeing the changes for myself.

I don't know anything about what 4e has in store, but as long as Ed is guiding us at the helm, I am totally on board.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  15:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

I don't know anything about what 4e has in store, but as long as Ed is guiding us at the helm, I am totally on board.

Cheers

Amen, Erik, amen!

P.S.: Erik, I start my third re-read of Ghostwalker yesterday!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  15:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
quote:
A tiny note on the subject of 4e that's been discussed: this looks a lot like the fear and uncertainty that accompanied each of the previous edition shifts--despite those major, major shifts, the Realms is still going very, very strong.

Eh... I don't think that's the issue here. There will be the requisite amount of foot-dragging when WotC decides to change rulesets... something that's particularly infuriating since 3.5e isn't even 5 years old yet. I think here, the reticence has more to do with the potential changes to the Realms themselves. Not just in terms of major events but loss of significant, sympathetic characters and the general feel of the setting as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  15:53:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Despite the current consternation over 4e Realms, Ed keeps working away on “to be printed” Realmslore (nice to see last year’s Spin A Yarn starting to appear on the Wizards website; there’s still apparently some delay on posting the “little treat” Ed wrote as a SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE promo), and on your questions posed here at the Keep.
Today’s query is this, from Verghityax: “Dear Ed and Lady Hooded One, Long, long time ago (a year and a half, I suppose) I asked about certain locations in Elturel and Iriaebor. Back then Ed said that those places are under NDA because of uncertain legal status concerning some licenses TSR sold to an outside company. I would like to know if there was any progress in this matter? I realize that Ed is extremely busy nowadays so I apologise for any inconvenience.”
Ed replies:

No apologies necessary, Verghityax! By all means prod me, if time passes and passes and you hear nothing. However, in this case, I don’t have an update for you. I don’t THINK those licenses are still “active,” but I’ve never been either a TSR or a WotC employee, never saw the wording of the license contracts, and don’t know if they had a set expiry date. I have queried both the Wizards legal eagles at Renton and the Hasbro team at Pawtucket, and the former tell me they’re “still working on it” (which I SUSPECT but am not sure is code for: “Huh? There is? Can’t find anything, but better look harder”) while the latter say they “know nothing about it,” and suggest I talk to the Renton people. Rest assured that the moment I know the status of things, I will let you know, and if those locales aren’t hampered by any new projects, post the lore you requested here. (Nothing has changed; that “if” has always been there.)
And yes (sigh) I am busier than busy, right now. I envy those book-a-year-if-I-feel-like-it authors, but I suppose some of them might envy me, too. The grass is always greener over the manure pile, and so on . . .

So saith Ed. Who would know.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  16:46:35  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
A question to THO, Ed, and all the scribes herein.

I'm not a big D&D player for various reasons. I like that the Realms are so much more a place than a collection of game stats that it easily converts to whatever you should like to play. Often finding little work ever need be done.

That said, however, at times it can also still be said that presenting the magics, monsters, and races of the Realms in terms that aren't either story or D&D suited can be difficult at best and beyond maddening at worst. I would love to know if anyone could guide me towards any good GURPS 4e FR resource(s)? I don't care for crunchy conversion where complex calculus tries to decide the conversion from Int 18 to IQ x. I'm merely seeking where I might find a list of things 'twould be good to use when building a green slime and such.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  17:14:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dravenloft

I would love to know if anyone could guide me towards any good GURPS 4e FR resource(s)?

Since 4E is still months away, and we only have the barest hint of what the rules will look like, it's not likely there are very many 4E FR resources out there -- for GURPS or any other systems.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  17:54:30  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message
Oh boy let the confusion begin.
Wooly GURPS is up to 4th edition now. So I think he is asking if there was anything that converts D&D to 4th edition GURPS. I could be wrong about that but that is the way I read it.

Dravenloft your best bet is to Google and type in D&D to GURPS conversion. As there wasn't much of a change from G3 to G4* (G for GURPS and # for edition)you should be able to determine what the difference is and work from there.

But it would still be interesting to hear what Ed knows about this as he has more feelers in this industry.

*The Group I play with weekly still runs G3 for the most part as we didn't want to spend more money on more books and only one in our group has G4 as it was an xmas gift.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  18:04:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by turox

Oh boy let the confusion begin.
Wooly GURPS is up to 4th edition now. So I think he is asking if there was anything that converts D&D to 4th edition GURPS. I could be wrong about that but that is the way I read it.

Oops.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  22:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by dravenloft
That said, however, at times it can also still be said that presenting the magics, monsters, and races of the Realms in terms that aren't either story or D&D suited can be difficult at best and beyond maddening at worst. I would love to know if anyone could guide me towards any good GURPS 4e FR resource(s)? I don't care for crunchy conversion where complex calculus tries to decide the conversion from Int 18 to IQ x. I'm merely seeking where I might find a list of things 'twould be good to use when building a green slime and such.

I'd start on the Steve Jackson Game Forums. A quick search using Google yielded this thread: Converting "Forgotten Realms" to GURPS. I was pleasantly surprised to find only one poster practically bashing the world for "munchikinism"... There isn't really much information there, but I'm sure more diligent searching will yield more.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  15:05:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. The march of Realmslore replies from Ed’s pen continues with a response to Jamallo Kreen’s question: “Well met! The question about Finder Wyvernspur sparks another: Is Finder averse to other deities sponsoring or encouraging artists, or does he try to maintain fine art as his own personal bailiwick?”
Ed replies:

So far as is known, Finder says and does nothing regarding the support and encouragement (or lack of same) for the arts on the part of other deities. He encourages his devout worshippers to “follow his way” by dedicating their worship and their sponsorship of mortal artists and art to him rather than other deities, but seems to ignore other deities rather than commenting on their deeds and sayings. (Directly commenting, that is; occasionally he makes his clear his favor or disapproval of specific actions of WORSHIPPERS of other deities.)

So saith Ed. Who always defers to Jeff Grubb, Finder’s creator, in these matters. He does recall that Jeff wanted Finder and his faith to be “the mysterious path of a reluctant deity, a loner who walks his own way,” so that’s the flavor he tries to maintain.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  15:26:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Posted by me (THO) with Blueblade's permission, because he sent it to me on PM but agrees that it should be posted here for all to see:

Hello Ed and dear Lady THO,
another Realmslore request from the Cormyr-obsessed guy. Except this time it's NOT (I think) about Cormyr.
It's about Flamsterd, the sage of the Moonshaes. I vaguely remember his various mentions, by Doug Niles, et al (and perhaps other scribes can help me here: has anyone else mentioned him in official printed Realmslore, since?).
What, in either official WotC canon or Ed's opinion, are Flamsterd's whereabouts, doings, and condition (i.e. alive? ) right now, Realmstime?
Thanks!
Blueblade

Edited by - The Hooded One on 14 Sep 2007 15:28:14
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  15:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yeah, and (surprise! ) I've thought of another question since then.
The terrain and "cover" around Everlund: how wild is it? How easy is it for, say, a "good at what they do" orc raiding party to sneak up to the edges of Everlund by night without being seen by average joes (I'm not talking "can scan with magic" types, here), smelled by stabled horses or livestock hobbled outdoors in paddocks, etc.?
Thanks
Blueblade
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  18:00:01  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
I should have been more specific re my GURPS question.
1) Yes I do mean G4.
2) I'm a participant on the SJGames forums. and have spent many hours on google to find only stat conversion charts to go from character to character. I never liked D&D 3/3.5 so don't have anything in those terms, which is what most of these int 18 = IQ x conversions are... and not the sort of thing I was really interested in.

looks like I'll just keep doing things the hard way.
thanks all.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  18:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Merci, M. Greenwood!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  19:54:58  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message
Since the news of a "Spellplague" befalling the Forgotten Realms, I've wondered what Ed thought of this event. We know that his home game ignores (not sure that is really the right word) the Time of Troubles, or at least it doesn't occur in his game. What of this Spellplague?

What year is Ed's home game in these days?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  22:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Lady and Ed, thanks for the info. I will try to bring the Elturel and Iriaebor topic up after few months again ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000