Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  17:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
I still think Cormyr deserves a major update. While it's certainly been given more coverage than a place like Lantan, there's so much lore that has never seen print (and certainly not in the 3.0+ era) that it begs for a good sourcebook. It seems like a good 1/3 of the lore revealed in this scroll over the last three years pertains to Cormyr (there's probably more info here than in the in-print Realms).

PS: I realize the 4.0 FRCS may do this. Are we likely to see Shade invaders marching on Arabel? I'm really wondering...

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana

Edited by - Athenon on 31 Aug 2007 17:35:19
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  01:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
My vote goes for Dambrath. Something about a land ruled by whip wielding half drow that appeals.

Anyway, another quick question Mr Greenwood. I was wondering what coinage they use in Zhentil Keep and Hillsfar (pre invasion by the Zhentarim). Thanks in advance once again!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  01:55:44  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
I vote for the Vast, the Ride, the Shaar and Sembia.
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  10:21:09  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
I vote for the Dalelands, Cormyr and Waterdeep.. :)

just kidding..

in order of (purely personal) priority -:
1. Sembia
2. Bloodstone Lands
3. Turmish

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  18:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

(snip)

Ed replies:

Yes, War Wizards spy on particular noble families as a matter of standing policy, in two ways:
1. The “house wizards” hired by, and on staff at, almost all noble households are either War Wizard plants or are regularly “mind-reamed” by War Wizards, who view their thoughts and memories, and spy on those households through them.

(snip)

love to all,
THO

Well met!

Pray tell us, Ed, what spells do the War Wizards use to do this mind reaming? As a DM I want to know.

Happy dog days to all!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  18:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

(snip)

In the meantime, I have a question for all scribes: what region of the Realms is the least well-detailed, right now, but most needs better detailing?
(snip)
Thanks, and love to all,
THO

Welllll ... I'd like more information about the continent of Mohawk-wearing elves north of Maztica, about the area east of Thay and Mulhorand and west of Ra-Khati (besides the information in Storm Riders, etc.), about the ancient history of the area now covered by the High Ice, and also about how Zakhara fits into the overall scheme of things on Toril. Then there's that other continent, which spelljammers see and never discuss....

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  18:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

In the meantime, I have a question for all scribes: what region of the Realms is the least well-detailed, right now, but most needs better detailing?

Well, I will say that I think sometimes lack of detail can be a good thing. However, I will say I wouldn't mind seeing more information on places like Chult, Tashalar, the Shaar, the Plains of Purple Dust, the Lake of Steam region, the Ride (near Moonsea) and all the little "in-between" places that have been neglected over the years.

The Plains of Purple Dust. YES! More, more, more! The Imaskari imperial capital apparently popped up in 1374 or thenabouts, so the area is probably shrouded by a mist of NDA, but whatever Ed can tell us to promote our interest in this region would be gratefully appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  22:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
Jehoshaphat...

This thread is huge and it's only for this year? Blood and ashes, I should have joined Candlekeep AGES ago...

I should open by thanking Ed for letting everyone into his playground world; I've spent many years now enjoying the fruits of his labor (and of the other contributors, of course) and wish to express my fervent gratitude for this wonderful world which I can call my sandbox. Thanks so much for all your hard work and detail-oriented approach!

If I may, I would like to ask a question about the Harpers that I hope isn't NDA'd out of the range of things you can answer:

With the emergence of the Tel'Teukiira in the Western portion of the Realms, just how active do the Harpers remain in that region? I'm about to run a campaign in that region (set in 1375 DR) and I'm trying to get a feel for the Harpers' level of involvement so I can decide on the full range of implications for the keystone element of the plot.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  23:03:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Then there's that other continent, which spelljammers see and never discuss....

As I've commented before, it's entirely likely that there was nothing there for them to talk about... Of course, that chucks my out the window my idea of a Netherese survivor state being on one of the other continents, but oh well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  00:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
I've another question, though I'm almost certain it's under the auspices of the ubuquitous and malevolent 'NDA:'

What happened to the Manshoon that purchased sanctuary with The Simbul?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  01:19:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Officially, I don't believe we've learned anything [I can't recall at the moment] beyond what was revealed in Cloak & Dagger regarding that particular clone of Manshoon. All we've been told is that a Manshoon clone spent some time with the Simbul, and that he's not there now. And while I'm hoping Ed may indeed have more... it's likely this little tidbit is indeed safely looked away behind an NDA.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  01:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
As I said, I expect it to be protected by the sinister NDA entity but I have to ask. I know that in the PBeM I'm trying to start up (as soon as Alaundo makes mention of it here, hopefully, lol) that I will be running with that loose thread as if pursued by an angry, hungry tiger with Haste cast on it.

EDIT - Has anyone asked about Azalar, Dove's son?

Edited by - Warrax on 02 Sep 2007 01:39:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  02:37:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Re: Azalar

Warrax, you may want to take a look at the new Shadowdale module.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Sep 2007 02:40:30
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  03:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
I'll consider it, for sure, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  08:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
quote:

The Plains of Purple Dust. YES! More, more, more! The Imaskari imperial capital apparently popped up in 1374 or thenabouts, so the area is probably shrouded by a mist of NDA, but whatever Ed can tell us to promote our interest in this region would be gratefully appreciated!

Excuse me? Imaskar's back? Wherein didst this happen?
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  09:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
quote:
what region of the Realms is the least well-detailed, right now, but most needs better detailing?

Well, dear lady, in no particular order, how about:

Lantan
Ulgarth
Veldorn
Estagund
Var the Golden
Vaasa
The Tortured Land
Murghom
Semphar
Durpar
Nimbral
Nathlekh, City of Cats
Tharsult
Mother-of-Mists (the small island south of Lantan)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  09:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

Excuse me? Imaskar's back? Wherein didst this happen?

Part at least returned with Deep Imaskar. Lore on that can be gleaned from Underdark. A recent novel also featured a pair of Imaskari, quite good a read as well - if only I could remember its title.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  10:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message
Darkvision by Bruce Cordell?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  13:34:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Darkvision is indeed the novel Zanan referred to earlier. 'Tis part of "The Wizards" series.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Sep 2007 13:36:08
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  22:55:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed still has family visiting and a wild workload related to his library day job and the flurry of personal queries he’s fielding due to the 4th Edition announcement (even with NDAs preventing him from saying much of anything, he still has to politely respond to queries from the many, many friends), but he has managed to send me another brief Realmslore response. This one is to createvmind’s mid-July query: “I wonder if this question has a simple answer, do the lower lvl illsion spells also change the shadow of the creature under an alternate guise?”
Ed replies:

I’m not the right source to properly answer rules queries, and don’t know if any reply I do give will be rendered obsolete by 4th Edition. However, if I confine myself to answering what I as a DM have ruled, during play in my ‘home’ Realms campaign and various Realms sessions run at conventions: yes, the illusion spells do affect personally-cast shadows (though carried items that have their own magical auras may adversely affect this benefit). They do NOT affect flour, thin sheets of cloth dropped from above, or other means of physically outlining the actual shape of an illusion-disguised creature, from revealing “the truth.”
However, scratch a different sage, and you might well get a different answer. As a DM, I tend to be lenient on characters; it’s the roleplaying I’m interested in, not tricks and traps and physical combat.

So saith Ed. One weary and overworked (as usual!) world creator, game designer, and author (he’ll be writing six novels this year!). Who tells me his stint at judging this year’s World Fantasy Awards has resulted in final choices (though of course what those choices are remains secret).
I mention these things as my own response to those who love to criticize Ed’s novels: he can’t be THAT lousy a writer, or he wouldn’t get published so often, or chosen by the best fantasy professionals to judge this year’s best fantasy books.
Ed’s one of the world’s nice guys, so he rarely defends himself - - so from time to time, I’ll do that for him.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  01:02:09  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks, You read my mind cause I was thinking of just that, flour, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  01:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
quote:

Oh, my lovely lady . . . This is such a difficult question to answer.

If I had to name one region, just one, I'd have to say the Moonshae Isles. I'd really appreciate seeing some significant love for this region in future Realms Lore. It's a region that's been sorely neglected for far too long.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 03 Sep 2007 01:15:36
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  03:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Bloodstone Lands is another area with my other, Veldorn, that I would love to see more on.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  23:10:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed emerges briefly from his lair (after a fryup of fresh-caught rainbow trout, I’m told), to answer another Realmslore query. This time it’s from scribe Warrax, to whit: “Jehoshaphat... This thread is huge and it's only for this year? Blood and ashes, I should have joined Candlekeep AGES ago...
I should open by thanking Ed for letting everyone into his playground world; I've spent many years now enjoying the fruits of his labor (and of the other contributors, of course) and wish to express my fervent gratitude for this wonderful world which I can call my sandbox. Thanks so much for all your hard work and detail-oriented approach!
If I may, I would like to ask a question about the Harpers that I hope isn't NDA'd out of the range of things you can answer:
With the emergence of the Tel'Teukiira in the Western portion of the Realms, just how active do the Harpers remain in that region? I'm about to run a campaign in that region (set in 1375 DR) and I'm trying to get a feel for the Harpers' level of involvement so I can decide on the full range of implications for the keystone element of the plot.
Thanks!”
Ed replies:

You’re very welcome, and I hope you’ll settle in here at the Keep and ask many a question; I regard it as a bit of the “real Realms” out on the Internet. Please be patient regarding my answers; I have towering dunes of not-yet-answered ones. and some folks (the long-suffering Kuje, for one) have been waiting since 2004 for replies (sometimes NDAs just stand in the way like castle walls).
However, happily, this question of yours isn’t one of them. :}
The Harpers remain VERY active in the Western Heartlands of the Realms, though increasingly they are retreating from the “sword this major threat, overthrow that ruler” heavy lifting (which the Tel’Teukiira do so well), and are concentrating on the information gathering and spreading, rumor-spreading (to influence public attitudes down on the “commoner” level), spying, and “steer the other fellows’ spies” work. This has always been the bulk of the Harper workload, in the same way that even in the fictional world of James Bond, the “Double-O” agents were few and far between, and there were far more patient local plodders, listeners, peerers, and whisperers. Or to use another recent fictional metaphor: the Tel’Teukiira do the Eddie Murphy character role in the Beverley Hills Cop movies, whereas most Harpers fulfill the daily functions of the plainclothes detectives on the Beverley Hills force.
In general, Harpers should watch and listen (largely unseen) to darn near everything suspicious that goes on in quieter, more rural areas, but operate far more lightly (and overloaded, so stuff slips past them) in such bustling trade hotbeds as Waterdeep, Athkatla, and Scornubel. How much they reveal themselves, draw swords, and burst into the midst of unfolding action depends on the situation; in general, they are NOT going to “blow their covers” for minor-scope stuff. A favourite Harper technique is to manipulate (“steer”) handy bands of adventurers (*cough* the PCs *cough*) into doing the desired dirty work, without (as much as possible) those same Harpers revealing their presence or meddling to the PCs.

So saith Ed. Creator, of course, of the Harpers. We once made him a “Head Harper” badge as a joke, and he proudly wore it for several play sessions, pinned to the brow of a succession of ridiculous hats.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  23:43:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

(the long-suffering Kuje, for one)

Grins and sighs. Thinks I need a refresher on what I asked so long ago because I don't recall what it was I asked way back in 2004. :)... Uh... is that my moon question? Or the dozens of others?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  23:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
Man, that was FAST... Thanks, that helps quite a bit!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  00:16:14  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

I remember an area that needs more details : The tortured lands.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  01:50:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

I have a question about wands, when a wand is empty of all charges it can be reused again right, could you give us a little glimpse of how say a cure wand is enspelled as compared to a destructive wand like magic missle. And can a wand created to cast cure spells be later used to cast fireball spells, meaning can a empty wand created by a cleric be recharged with a different spell by a mage?. What does the crafter/enspeller have to do to make this possible? Are wands of higher level spells made of more expensive material, admantine and such to channel the destructive forces contained within perhaps?

My players seem to discard wands when they are empty (leaving a trail of easy to find and track items btw), I'm asking you because I'm wondering if they as casters should or WOULD know that the wand can be recycled or even charged with a different spell altogether and therefore remain useful items.

Thanks for the lore
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  02:00:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone. Warrax, this is your lucky day (or night). No, I don’t mean I’m waiting for you wearing nothing but a smile and a black ribbon choker around my throat (though I have done such things, and am growing restless to do them again; I mean, it’s been almost four nights, now), I mean that Ed has charged right back into the lists with more replies to your followup question: “I've another question, though I'm almost certain it's under the auspices of the ubiquitous and malevolent 'NDA:'
What happened to the Manshoon that purchased sanctuary with The Simbul?”
Ed replies:

You are indeed correct that NDAs hamper my replying about that particular Manshoon clone, and The Sage rightly pointed out that we know almost nothing of his fate. However, for the purposes of your PBeM campaign; please be aware that although future “official” Realmslore may well reveal something of the career of this particular Manshoon clone, there are many; rumors of how few survived what some have called “the Manshoon Wars” are greatly exaggerated. Why, I can think of almost a dozXXX ahem, I probably can’t say that, so let us just say instead that I’d not be surprised if more Manshoons are in hiding. Remember, the arrogant, brash ones have the highest profiles, and the later, wiser ones have both learned to eschew the limelight AND been given (through ongoing refinements to Manshoon’s stasis clone spell) greater resistance to the “pull” and need to destroy fellow clones; the more recent ones can largely ignore other clones, unless they get almost within touching distance, and have even taken to using magic to alter their apparent species and/or racial heritage and/or gender. Many of them have joined various guilds or power groups (having nothing at all to do with Zhentil Keep or the Zhentarim or Bane or Cyric or beholders) to further “bury themselves” from suspicious eyes.
All of which means, as Richard Lee Byers famously quipped a GenCon or two back: “In My Father’s House, there are many Manshoons.”
NONE of them can fool The Simbul as to their identity, schemings, and intentions; if she’s sheltering one or even treating him as a friend or lover, it’s with full knowledge of who and what he is, and she will have many safeguards in place (she can call on all of Mystra’s servitors, remember, and the aid of two deities) that will prevent a Manshoon from successfully double-crossing her, regardless of the circumstances.

So saith Ed. Creator of Manshoon, the Zhentarim, Zhentil Keep, The Simbul, Bane, and blah, blah, blah. Who has, in his younger days, worn fishnets to work at the library just for fun, to watch the reactions of co-workers and patrons.
P.S. createvmind, your question re. wands has gone off to Ed, but I recall that various rules editions (and TSR and WotC "Sage Advice" senior designers) have at various times ruled that wands crumble into dust when exhausted of charges, or become "forever magic dead" pieces of wood, and so on. At a GenCon (19? 20?) I attended, one of the senior TSR designers insisted wands had to be recharged while they still had at least one charge left, or the result would be destruction of the wand and a dangerous "wand of wonder" effect and a waste of the charging magics, not a "refilled" wand. So the game rules have gone every which way on this.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  02:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
quote:

No, I don’t mean I’m waiting for you wearing nothing but a smile and a black ribbon choker around my throat . . .
*quickly jots down a few pointers*

quote:
However, for the purposes of your PBeM campaign; please be aware that although future “official” Realmslore may well reveal something of the career of this particular Manshoon clone, there are many; rumors of how few survived what some have called “the Manshoon Wars” are greatly exaggerated. Why, I can think of almost a dozXXX ahem, I probably can’t say that, so let us just say instead that I’d not be surprised if more Manshoons are in hiding.
I certainly hope Ed has the opportunity to reveal more in time. The "Manshoon Wars" have been neglected for too long. To me, they were one of the more interesting plot-hooks left hanging after 2E finished up. It's a shame we've not seen anything further on this since that time.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000