Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  02:25:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed and I chatted briefly about Atad “Yelloweyes” after his reply to createvmind, and decided the original query, plus the followup from Jamallo Kreen, deserved more of a response.
So here’s JK’s query: “I, too am very interested in Atad "Yelloweyes." I had him appear briefly as an NPC in a recent game, but since I didn't know whether he was a Tainted One who was fighting the taint with the knowing help of the Harpers, or a Harper who had become Tainted and is now used by the yuan-ti against local humans, I just let him slide through the adventure without giving him any real personality or goals (secret or otherwise) than making some gold as a guide for some of Aluena's guests (the PCs). Ed, please tell us more about him.”
And here’s Ed’s reply:

Atad “Yelloweyes” is the sole survivor of the Ruush’lek (“ROOSSH-[[glottal stop]]-lullek”), a small yuan-ti family. More than two decades ago, the Ruush’lek were exterminated by the Company of Crazed Venturers after the Venturers tracked the boldest Ruush’lek, whom they knew only as “Rimriskal the Unblinking,” a sinister yuan-ti trader-in-poisons in Scornubel, to the family lair (after Rimriskal fatally poisoned several merchants in Scornubel the Venturers were buying information about “snakefolk” trade dealings from). The small, well-hidden family cavern-lair is northeast of the village.
Atad is a soft-spoken, manipulative, gentle-of-manner sort (expert at “fading into the background when necessary”) who slowly won trust in the Cowl. Of all the Ruush’lek, he was the least menacing to humans (and if truth be known, hated his kin, all of whom oppressed him as a “weakling”). He dwells alone in the family lair, keeping his belongings hidden under rocks there and staying at home seldom; he usually sleeps in the open, and when not guiding makes a living as a local maker and seller of soothing (not healing) ointments, cosmetics, scents, dyes, and sauces (he brings them into the Cowl after dark, selling them to the proprietor of the Dusty Dragon for resale).
Atad serves the Harpers as a local “eyes and ears” spy, faithfully reporting to them any contacts he has with yuan-ti or their agents seeking to co-opt him in any schemes (usually shady trade deals originating in Scornubel); his standing orders from the Harpers are to “go along” with all such schemes. The Harpers use him more as a passive information gatherer and source of handy disguises (he’s superb at swiftly applying cosmetics, and can change the apparent hue of a human’s skin, or make them appear subtly older or younger, VERY quickly) than anything else. His family cavern provides travelling Harpers with a handy “safe house” to sleep over or recuperate in, and he tells the Harpers as much as he can learn (without asking) about everyone who hires him as a guide. He has a way (washed garment hung to dry on a certain branch) of signalling to passing Harpers to follow him on some guiding expeditions (so they’ll trail the party he’s guiding, keeping out of sight unless he needs rescuing or the party launches a brigand ambush or gets caught in a fight with yuan-ti or anyone else that the Harpers want to intercede in).

So saith Ed. Several Venturers (notably the characters played by Andrew Dewar) has some side-adventures in Serpent’s Cowl, and it was also used in one of Ed’s library mini-campaigns. For a time, it was certainly one of those “sleepy little villages that hides sinister secrets.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  02:30:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sorry, I just can't resist. maelstrom58, you've done more than enough bootlicking - - so I await OTHER sorts of licking from you, forthwith!
Seriously: tallhouses on to Ed. They do vary in size, even on a single street, but Ed will tell you more. Soonish, I hope.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30412 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  03:23:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another odd query, to add to my pile... Hopefully this one won't require any real time or effort from Ed.

In the real world, there are eight thousand different "How many X does it take to change a light bulb joke?" Some go for professions, some go for various groups, be they ethnic, regional, or even just having a particular characteristic. Is there a Realms version of this joke?

Similarly, there have been, at various times, jokes which focus on the perceived lack of intelligence of some groups. When I was little, I heard a lot of "dumb Pollock" jokes (apologies to any hailing from that particular region of the world; those were just the jokes of the time); as a teenager, many of those jokes were repackaged as "dumb blonde" jokes (similar apologies to our fair-haired scribes). Do these jokes have a Realms parallel?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  15:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hey Ed and THO! I've a seafaring question today.

Do Faerúnian sailors suffer from Scurvy, and how, if at all, do they treat it? And what do they call it? Thanks in advance! Also, can others join in this licking of THO?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  03:10:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I come bearing Ed’s Realmslore reply to Blueblade re. this: “A Cormyr campaign query: If I am a young noble in Cormyr right now, Realms-time, do I know which nobles (or families) are most opposed to Caladnei? Or Alusair as Regent?
I'm not talking exiled nobles or advocates of treason, I mean nobles who aren't fans of Caladnei, or of the Regency, and either politely say so, or quietly work against the authority or plans of either the Royal Magician or the Regent, or both.
Or are such opponents VERY secretive, and I couldn't know?
Thanks!”
Ed replies:

Most young nobles in Cormyr are viewed as “flamebrains” (hotheads) by elder nobles, who will tell said younger nobles (except for heirs) nothing about “sensitive” matters.
However, that doesn’t mean young nobles are stupid or unobservant; they can usually tell exactly how their elders feel about something, even when “past personal history” is successfully kept secret. (And it often isn’t, due to catty gossip among nobles that servants overhear and can pass on even when said younger nobles aren’t present to hear, and to drunken or enraged-by-rivals nobles having loose tongues upon many occasions.)
So your “average” young Cormyrean noble, if there can be said to be such a thing, has a pretty good idea of family attitudes.
Caladnei is considered “fair game” (as in: “safe to sneer at”), because she’s an outlander, she’s not believed to have the competence Vangerdahast did in either using the War Wizards as her personal iron fist or in using them to find out what every last noble is thinking, let alone saying. However, almost every noble is secretly relieved to have Caladnei as Royal Magician and NOT Laspeera (who is presumed to know EXACTLY which noble closets house skeletons, and what all of those skeletons are wearing, too) or someone almost as well-versed in Cormyrean history and with a lot more Art up his or her sleeve. So “catty sneers” on the order of, “Well, what can one expect? She’s hardly one of us, truly of Cormyr, now, is she?” are de rigeur, but Caladnei’s very “shy, retiring, tentative” style has kept her from nobles actually working against her, beyond snorting, “What befalls when a little lass is handed the top throne-task, aye?” or “When’s little Miss Mouse going to grow up a little, is what I’D like to know!” or “What’s she hiding, behind her little ooh-coo act? THAT one bears watching!”
With all of that said, her most vocal public critics are probably the Illances, with the older Emmarask matrons (NOT Alaphondar) running a close second.

So saith Ed. Who will return with more for Blueblade (this time about the Regency, and Princess Alusair) on the morrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  03:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Ed and I chatted briefly about Atad “Yelloweyes” after his reply to createvmind, and decided the original query, plus the followup from Jamallo Kreen, deserved more of a response.
So here’s JK’s query: “I, too am very interested in Atad "Yelloweyes." I had him appear briefly as an NPC in a recent game, but since I didn't know whether he was a Tainted One who was fighting the taint with the knowing help of the Harpers, or a Harper who had become Tainted and is now used by the yuan-ti against local humans, I just let him slide through the adventure without giving him any real personality or goals (secret or otherwise) than making some gold as a guide for some of Aluena's guests (the PCs). Ed, please tell us more about him.”
And here’s Ed’s reply:

Atad “Yelloweyes” is the sole survivor of the Ruush’lek (“ROOSSH-[[glottal stop]]-lullek”), a small yuan-ti family.

(snip)

Many thanks!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  18:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
A Cormyr question, if I may: how much does the average citizen of Suzail (who never travels much, certainly not out of southern Cormyr) know about the various Dales? How quickly does news of what happens there trickle down to them, and how incomplete or distorted does it get?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  19:20:15  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

A Cormyr question, if I may: how much does the average citizen of Suzail (who never travels much, certainly not out of southern Cormyr) know about the various Dales? How quickly does news of what happens there trickle down to them, and how incomplete or distorted does it get?
Thanks.

Ed has recently answered a post just like this on March 22nd of this year.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  21:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

I have a question which I know Ed has partially answered in the past, but the Search function is over-burdened today so I can't find what Ed's already written.

I am interested in the Swordkrypt Mountains and their surroundings, i.e. from Neverwinter Wood to the Kryptgarden Forest, from Leilon northeast to Triboar (including the ruins of Phandalin), and northward from the Mere of Dead Men to the mountains themselves. I am interested in the heights of the mountains, how extensive their foothills are, what paths (if any) run through them, how well- (or ill-) forested they are, and what settlements currently exist on, in, and around them.

I have Volo's Guide to the North and The North pdf, the Dungeon Magazine adventure set in the Kryptgarden, and I know about the three (?) "worms of the north" in the area, so Ed doesn't need to rehash what he has already published in print. It's what's in his notes which he hasn't published that interests me.

Pretty please, Ed, tell us some more about the Swordkrypts and their surroundings.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  02:10:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. As promised, here’s the rest of Ed’s reply to Blueblade, this time about: “If I am a young noble in Cormyr right now . . . do I know which nobles (or families) are most opposed to . . . Alusair as Regent?
I'm not talking exiled nobles or advocates of treason, I mean nobles who aren't fans of . . . the Regency, and either politely say so, or quietly work against the authority or plans of . . . the Regent . . . Or are such opponents VERY secretive, and I couldn't know?”
Ed replies:

Outside the realm (in Westgate and Sembia), what’s left of the Dracohorns and Cormaerils are loud and frequent in their condemnations of the Regency, but most other nobles regard their words as personal enmity and not valid criticisms.
Inside the realm, certain Huntsilvers and Crownsilvers believe Alusair has demonstrated a headstrong, ruled-by-her-rages tendency since childhood that make her fine for leading bloody cavalry charges in battle, but a disaster just waiting to happen as a ruler. They believe that having a very young king is a perfect situation for “prudent and wise” courtiers such as Alaphondar to rule Cormyr, taking direction from a council of senior nobles (said council including certain Huntsilvers and Crownsilvers, of course). This could lead to a permanent reduction in the power of the Obarskyrs and of the War Wizards, so that senior nobles could curb the “excesses” of the Dragon Throne and safeguard a realm that makes war far less often, and in peaceful prosperity enriches the leading noble families over and over again; in other words, laws and customs would benefit the nobles and landowners, not outlander traders such as Sembians, and the perennial problems with Arabel and Marsember would recede as the rightful ruling families of those places saw the ongoing personal benefits of remaining at peace, and using the Purple Dragons (enforcing laws fine-tuned to benefit the nobles) to crush rivals and “upstart” wealthy merchants who “don’t know their places.”
However, you as a young noble would NOT know that certain Huntsilvers and Crownsilvers are behind such beliefs, only that “any truly sensible noble, who knows what’s REALLY going on,” believes that such a way of ordering Cormyr would really be best for the realm, if the Steel Regent and the Dowager Queen could only, somehow, be nudged into accepting it. Not that that bitch Alusair can be nudged into doing anything that doesn’t involve mounting and riding a young noble who catches her eye. Still, no Obarskyr lives forever . . .
(You would “know” such attitudes because you would hear them muttered, by many older nobles of many houses, at revels and feasts and hunts and upper-room gaming-moots, over and over again [pointedly outside the hearing of any Obarskyrs, War Wizards, or Purple Dragons]. Said older nobles would be seeking to slowly and subtly make younger nobles think this way, and keep an eye out for who agrees with such thinking, and who reacts against it.)

So saith Ed. Giving us all a glimpse of what we Knights have known for years: with Ed as DM, Cormyr is an endlessly fascinating place that really comes alive, with an endless parade of surging and swirling intrigues.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  02:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
My friend went to the Canadian Book Expo this weekend hoping to get something signed by Ed, and was disappointed to find out he wasn't attending.
Umm, given that he's up in the top five bestselling authors in Canada, why not?
Not wanting to sound petulant, I just hope he wasn't being snubbed again. The CanLit establishment seems VERY snobbish.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  02:35:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, no snubbing.
But thanks for your concern.
Ed tells me the ladies of the library he works with love going to CBA - - for some of them, meeting certain authors (and scoring free books) is a thrill - -so someone has to stay behind and run the library. Several someones, in fact, one of them being Ed. Who has signed so many thousands of books at so many CBAs that the thrill is gone. (Various publicists miss him, because they persist in wearing high heels, year after year, and ending up with aching feet - - and Ed insists on giving them foot messages, so they worship him.)
So this year he stayed home and finished up the annotations for the Annotated Elminster, instead.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  02:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ah, thanks for the quick reply.
And thank you (and you too, Ed the Master) for your Cormyr replies for me.
Good to know we'll be seeing the Annotated Elminster in fully explained glory, too.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  02:49:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Wooly dearest, regarding your query about "dumb XXX" Realms jokes, Ed will reply soon, but I can start you off by saying that in the Dragonreach lands (well, the Dales and the Vast, at least), Ambral Isle is the colloquial home of fops and dunderheads, so that's one of the regional butts of those "dumb" jokes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  19:44:32  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message
quote:

Sorry, I just can't resist. maelstrom58, you've done more than enough bootlicking - - so I await OTHER sorts of licking from you, forthwith!
[...]
love,
THO

Well, far be it from me to refuse a lady's wishes...

Actually, this makes me think of another question (for THO): THO, did the players of the Knights of Myth Drannor ever run an evil party? If so, could you give us some highlights from the campaign?

Thanks,
Maelstrom
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  19:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, Master Ed and Lady Herald!

I'll bet that you thought that you were over and done explaining the various forms of address for those whom I called "bedded, but not wedded." Far from it! As I have said before, every answer of Ed's generates at least one other question, and this one concerns lickhips, boldshakes, and coin-lasses and laddies. Aside from the vernacular English words which we all know (or which most of us know), what are specifically Realmsian terms for prostitutes? I don't mean the specialty ... ah ... ladies ... such as Calimport's bearded entertainers (whom you have already dealt with at length), but the everyday, run-of-the-mill sex professional. Also, are there specific "terms of art" to refer to the entertainers from Kara Tur and other such exotic locales who might be considered prostitutes by the undiscerning, but who really do "just" entertain in intimate situations without doing the wild thing?

(For those who have tender sensibilities, I remind readers of what Ed said in 2004:

quote:

For instance, Id never dream of deliberately making a homophobic person uncomfortable when I (a rather stout, pepper-and-salt-bearded man) roleplay a prostitute and go and sit in a male players lap caressing his chin and face and breathily making propositions in a feminine voice -- but I dont have to worry about that, because I know my players and they know me. We have warning words (we simply say: Steady! or Simmer!) for anyone to signal if theyre becoming uncomfortable or think an observer (i.e. someone whos not a regular player) might be misinterpreting or becoming uncomfortable.

I make so bold as to suggest that those of us who feel uncomfortable about how bawdy some of our banter gets here just use either of those "code words." I'm sure that they will convey much more meaning to Ed and The Hooded One than an angst-ridden, hand-wringing, moralizing post. Just a suggestion....)

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  20:52:20  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Don't forget lightskirts.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  01:43:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Can you possibly shed light on different types of spellbooks, or objects to store spells on, I recall in Shadow stone novel that some kind of stick was the heroes spellbook. Do mages try to find different ways of writing their spells so they lower the chances of it being stolen?
Go to Top of Page

ziresta
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  08:57:04  Show Profile  Visit ziresta's Homepage  Send ziresta an AOL message  Send ziresta a Yahoo! Message Send ziresta a Private Message
Hello all.

I have a few questions and comments for Ed. None of this is urgent, so take your time responding.

1) Thank you for creating the Forgotten Realms. It's the only setting not of my creation that feels "real" to me.

2) Thank you for putting so much detail into the Realms that I don't feel like I'm a lunatic for putting maybe a quarter as much into my campaign/story settings. (My eventual goal is as much, but I've only been working at creating settings seriously for about three years so I'm still very far from it.)

3) In 1368 DR in Cormyr, what would the general reaction of nobles to the third (or fourth, can't recall) daughter of a lesser noble being part of an adventuring band be?

4) Any details/lore you can share on Lliira or Selune worship in the same time and area?

5) Really weird question, and backstory necessary so it makes sense: In another game I'm running, one of the PCs has invented a time/world hopping device (essentially the continua craft from The Number of the Beast by RAH) and is planning to use it to visit, among other fictons, the Realms. So, my question is how would the residents of Shadowdale (where she most wants to visit . . . she's enamored with Storm) respond (in the late 1360s, in case it matters) to the following characters landing in a strange craft in their midst:
a) A girl in her late teens with a platinum dragon tattooed on one arm and a chromatic dragon on the other. This is the inventor of the device, a brilliant, but highly eccentric, engineer and physicist.
b) A boy in his late teens in a kilt who has a tendency to say whatever he's thinking, regardless of how inappropriate it is. He's a musician and has come along with his friend to be exposed to different realities' music . . . and meet hot chicks. Protective of d, his wife, to the point of fool-hardiness.
c) A teenaged girl, very petite, with a habit of dying her hair random colors, who has come along because her fiancée (a) was so excited about the trip.
d) Another girl in her late teens, a xenoanthropology student, who is the only one of this group possessed of much common sense . . . which is why she insists on coming along, she'd rather her best friends didn't end up in jail in some weird reality. At the time they'll go there, she'll be just beginning to look pregnant.
They're from about 2391 AD and grew up on a planet about 200 light years from here thats guiding moral principles amount to "Don't harm others or their property without a very good reason."

(Yes, I'm assuming the Realms will survive that long . . . why not? Besides, even if it doesn't, they've already travelled to our real reality and visited a bookstore.)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  19:37:50  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I was rereading the sembia novel which you wrote with several others and I am trying to understand how UMD works in Faerun, I assume that if a noncaster with no UMD points is told exactly how to fire a wand or activate an item he/she is able to do so regardless of whether it's arcane or divine. If he/she isn't aware of how to activate an item then they must make a UMD check, yes?

I'm recalling Thamalon's father letting fly with the magic wands and items during the night attack.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  19:50:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed responds to Bladewind about this query: “Warm winds. I've been pondering on the life and looks of the dark elves before they got cursed for some time now. What was the main difference between the green elves and the dark elves in the regions around Illithiir? The dark elves build more groundlevel cities and lived in the deeper and darker parts of the jungles? Could Mr. Greenwood tell me about their architecture, military and symbolism?”
Ed replies:

Certainly, and with pleasure.
In all species discussions, please bear in mind that we’re always talking in generalizations (there will always be individual “exceptions to the rule”).
So, IN GENERAL, the green elves embraced the rain and open exposure to weather and the life cycles of green, growing things (especially trees), and sought to live high up in living trees (sometimes in natural hollows within trees, but never cutting or burning out trees so as to harm them). Green elves sought to live in harmony and balance with other benign woodland beings (such as treants), and to “garden” woodland plants so their harvestings, prunings, and meddlings always increased the health and growth of the forest.
The dark elves preferred caves and shadows and the gloom of the forest floor, avoiding bright sunlight and exposure to the elements. Over time, they took to building in stone, “fused with spells” stone (obsidian “black glass one-piece towers) in particular. In winter, they burrowed under snows, erecting hide-and-hoop (arched wooden beams) under-roof supports to make “snow-dens” (we might call them igloos) of sorts. Hiding from full sun and hunting by night were their habits.
Hunting by night brought them into conflict with the nocturnal predatory beasts of the forests, such as the great cats, so the dark elves took to hunting in well-armed bands, and over time shifted into a “we must conquer and rule” mindset: competing predators were to be slain (or enslaved as half-starved guardians). This led the dark elves to be increasingly martial, and brought them into increasing conflict with green elves (why go to the trouble of husbanding and gathering edible plant blossoms and leaves, when you can just forcibly take them from those who’ve done all the work for you?). These escalating conflicts caused the dark elves to develop the handbow (dart gun), so as to have a “second shot” capability at close quarters in the dark (where use of the green elf longbow could be hampered).
Green elves came to be regarded as foes, more and more atrocities were done to them by the increasingly aggressive dark elves, and we all know the eventual result.
Green elves used sunlight, reflected sunlight, falling water (cascades and fountains), and many greens in their decoration and symbolism. Growing (rather than picked) flowering plants were abundant in green elf living spaces (your “room” was shared with living plants), and the symbolism of the natural seasonal cycles were embraced.
Dark elves revered moonlight, magical radiances, light reflected so as to cast artful shadows, and lights colored (ruby red, ale-brown, and so on) by magic and thin sheets of polished rock. Living areas were dimly-lit, with curved, cave-like encircling walls and roofs, often with furniture (lounge chairs, sleeping platforms) “built in” as part of the walls; these living areas were often, of course, actual caverns or earth burrows whose dirt walls had been sealed and concealed behind magically-melted silica rock (glass). Revered symbols were concerned with power: magical radiances in the shape of (or actually emanating from actual) weapons or helms or gauntlets or house heraldry; hunting trophies such as horns and skulls and teeth, mounted in staves or on helms or on dwelling walls; wells of water (for underground control of drinkable water was a prized thing) were given pride of place in rooms, and often enspelled to glow, or sited so that moonlight brought down glass-sealed shafts would shine upon the waters.
And so on. :}

So saith Ed. Whose reply should, of course, be taken as applying only to the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  20:01:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Quick note of breaking news: Ed just received his advance copies of EXPEDITION TO UNDERMOUNTAIN, and tells me it's "gorgeous."
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  02:29:23  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
I can't wait for Expedition!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  16:16:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. This time I bring Ed of the Greenwood’s reply to RodOdom, regarding this: “Oh great Master Ed and Mistress THO,
Where can one find a sight like this on Faerun:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Armenia_Khorvirap.jpg/758px-Armenia_Khorvirap.jpg
Ed replies:

Right, then, we have tilled fields in the foreground with wheat (or another tall grain crop) ready to harvest beyond, green hills that have been cleared and used for grazing, a walled stone home, verdant uplands in the distance, rising to snow-capped mountains.
This could be one of literally hundreds of places in the Realms. To list just a few:
• Murghom, looking north to the Mountains of Copper
• Durpar, the mountains then being the Giant’s Belt range
• east of Innarlith, looking south to the Firesteap Mountains
• on the shores of the Deepwash, looking towards the Snowflake Mountains
• the Dragon Coast, looking towards the Giant’s Run Mountains
• the Greenfields, looking towards the Cloud Peaks
• Semphar
• Estagund
• Amn
• Tethyr
and so on, and on, and on. :} Anywhere temperate near mountains, where the woods have been cleared, and humans have settled to grow crops and graze beasts. Nice picture (not that I have time to jaunt off to Armenia to get a better look, just now :} ).

So saith Ed. Who can tourist-tour the Realms in his head, whenever he wants. He tells me he’s spent some happy hours in boring meetings, in the past, doing just that.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  16:22:49  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Who can tourist-tour the Realms in his head, whenever he wants. He tells me he’s spent some happy hours in boring meetings, in the past, doing just that.
love to all,
THO
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to try that the next time I find myself in a similar situation.

Thank you my Lady.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000