Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  02:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
*scribblescribble* *cackle* *more scribbling*
Indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  03:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
MR Greenwod: I read your answer to the aging question.
Here's something along that line I have a question too.

It seems to me that the answer is more human answer, what about the other races.
Do the elfs, half elfs, dwarfs, halfings have some of the same aspects? Do the other races still try to keep young in certain ways magical and non magical, to stay young. Or do they repect their elders and think that they are beautful, such as a older dwarf, elf, halfling "women".

Has the human element(trying to look young) enflunaced the other races and they try to stay young and hide their age in certain certstances?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  08:42:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
That was a heartfelt description of a difficult dual road some paladins choose to lead.

Thanks to both the OP and Ed for the enlightenment.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  09:00:11  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Thank you for the information about paladins, Mr. Greenwood and Lady THO. I'm going to make sure that one of my players (and big paladin fan) reads this as well.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2007 :  23:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Yes, thank you both very much for the lovely answer. I appreciate it--and so do my fellow female paladin-lovers. ;)

I look forward to hearing about Harrowsmouth whenever possible--thanks for the update on that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  21:29:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you a rushed response from Ed (who has been wildly busy once again with future FR fun for us all) to createvmind, in hopes that it’s in time for the game session.
createvmind asked: “Sir Greenwood I have a cleric of Azuth who thinks he has the option of when he can pray if at dusk he is doing something like discussing treasure distribution and so when he's done then he will pray even if it's several hours later. The player constantly refers to the text of praying at the next available moment and I always state he can pray at dusk, nothing is stopping him at all from disengaging from talking and show dedication to his deity. I want to know how deities handle those whose piety is somewhat based on convience, is it an abrupt disconnect from the divine or is he sent a dream letting him know impending wrath or dismissal from the diety is coming? How would you handle this, he's done it for past 4 days straight even though I inform him every sundown is approaching. The next game is friday and if he does it again I want to be able to have some insight as to how to approach it.
Thanks as always”
Ed replies:

Ah, yes, the “just holy enough to get my spells” attitude. GREAT (heavy sarcasm there) service to the deity. Time to adjust that attitude (no retroactive punishments are necessary, but start what follows right away).
Here are the relevant Words of Azuth:
“Neglect me not!
If you are engaged in actually CREATING a spell (including experimenting, but NOT including repeated castings “for practice”) and don’t notice it’s sundown, that’s okay, because the acting of crafting magic is itself worship of Me. If you are engaged in keeping yourself alive (midst of a fight, frantic fleeing, hiding and remaining silent so that prayers to me have to be thought and not said), that’s also acceptable. Unless you do it repeatedly and I perceive any deliberate intent on your part to schedule things so as to avoid worshipping me. Or you realize you’ve missed sundown and decide not to bother praying to me.
NO other reasons for “turning your face from me” are acceptable, except personal and direct instructions from Me.
If you neglect your devotions, you stray from my favour. And shall be “rewarded” accordingly.”
So, createvmind, the next time the cleric prays to Azuth, no spells will be granted. Not one. Instead, the cleric will receive a “waking vision” (dream-vision even though not asleep) delivering the Words of Azuth I have just set down here. It will be a vision that everyone else in the presence of the cleric will also see and hear, not just the cleric character. The cleric will see a disembodied, floating man’s hand accusingly pointing at him as the words are spoken (the “Uncle Sam Wants YOU!” pose), but everyone else will see a 9-foot-tall, slender, black-robed, bearded man just standing (on air, a few feet off the ground) and looking at the cleric in head-shaking, weary disgust.
The hand (and the image of the man) will vanish in an instant with the deity’s last words, which will be delivered after any reaction the cleric makes (no matter what it is). Azuth will say flatly: “[[character’s name]], you have sinned. Sins are never forgotten, but they can be forgiven. It all depends on your conduct.”
If the player really is careless or defiant, Azuth will deliver the warning (and withholding of spells) thrice (the third time will have an extra sentence added to those last words: “You will receive no more warnings.”
A fourth transgression will be answered with a bolt of blue lightning from the sky that staggers the PC, does no hit point damage at all, but strips the PC of his priesthood (he can still be a cleric, but not of Azuth or of Mytra, for the two deities stand together on such matters), and “brands” him with an invisible Sign that tells all devout worshippers and clergy of Azuth that “This entity was once favoured of Azuth, but is no longer.” (Note that they won’t shun or be hostile to the outcast, because Azuth’s commandments will be to encourage magic use in all, and specifically to offer opportunities to this being to “return to the mantle,” but neither will they take commands from or offer unhesitating or free assistance to the outcast.)
A (truly) heartfelt atonement or penance will be necessary for Azuth to restore the cleric to his former position (“testing” [humiliating] tasks must be performed, services done freely for others as directed in holy dream-visions, etc.) after being thus cast out. Restoration will be to the former level and standing, not a “start all over again” situation, and will involve the Sign being removed.
While cast out, the cleric can get NO divine spells (he can use items intended for clerics, but items specific to Azuth will not function in his possession). He will have to actively join another faith (worship, do tasks as requested, etc.) to gain even orisons and first and second level spells.
One of the worst ongoing problems, from the very first edition of the game, has been players who treat clerics as “fighters who can get healing spells, and blackmail or financially rob fellow party members and others with the use or withholding of such magics.” Particularly if said players “twist” the principles of the faith around freely to suit their own gain in any given situation, or play in a campaign where the dogmas are vague or undeveloped enough to let them “make their religion be whatever it personally suits them to be.” That offends against play balance, not just annoying DMs, other players, and offending ethically. Playing a cleric should MEAN something - - or shouldn’t be undertaken at all.

So saith Ed. Who is really far more of a softie than he sounds here, but I know that he’s “saying what needs to be said.”
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 07 Jul 2007 02:36:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  21:33:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
By the way, all, Ed has apparently spent some time, these last few days, assembling some old, old Realms sketches he did years ago. (He has said not a word about this; I visited and peeked.) I can guess what they're for, but . . . well, we'll have to wait and see.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  00:53:37  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The multi- spiritual weapon question was in regards to this PC as well, you hit it right on the head with th "holy enough for spells" attitude. He was intially a follower of Sarvas and was clearly trying to use the "we can do as we please because the dogma is vague" and I had him lose his ability to cast anything higher than 1st lvl. We'll see if he gets into his devout cleric role or not, somehow I suspect he will chaff under someone else's authority, he's just made like that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  00:54:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oooh! Ancient Realms sketches. Are these, perhaps, from the days of 1e/2e my lovely Lady? Maybe even from before the time of the officially published Realms of TSR?

I'm postively tingling with excitment!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  01:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

A quick question, but probably not a quick answer...

How do people become clerics (or druids, or rangers, or paladins, or any other class that derives it's power from divine favour)? Do people just decide to become a cleric and enroll in the local priest school? Or do they receive some sign from their deity, some calling that they can't ignore? If it's the latter, I suppose it would vary from deity to deity, but are there any sort of common themes to the calling/sign?

Edited to add: Oh, and is it possible for a divine related class character to serve more than one deity? I'm looking at Qilue here, but she's quite different to your run of the mill PC type.

If this has been answered before, I'm sorry to ask it again. Unfortunately this morning I don't have the time to comb through the archives myself.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 07 Jul 2007 02:10:04
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  01:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
O Ed, a person on the Wizards.com boards says they're arguing with people who think Realms priests are monolaters who give absolutely no worship, reverence or praise to any but 'their' god. Pray, a few sentences about that?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  02:30:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Faraer, off that request shall go to Ed, for a swift response.
And Sage, Ed had dated all of the sketches I saw, and at least one had "1986" on it. They are small, thumbnail scenes and head shots, not "proper illustrations." Black-and-white line, some pointualism, a variety of styles. As readers of the long-ago Dragon know (check out the illustration of the Gaund, for instance) Ed is quite a good illustrator. I have a strong suspicion as to when and how we'll see them (or at least some of them), but Ed will confirm nothing.
Yet. Heh-heh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  02:33:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed responds to createvmind’s query: “Ed I was rereading the Sembia novel which you wrote with several others and I am trying to understand how UMD works in Faerun, I assume that if a noncaster with no UMD points is told exactly how to fire a wand or activate an item he/she is able to do so regardless of whether it's arcane or divine. If he/she isn't aware of how to activate an item then they must make a UMD check, yes? I'm recalling Thamalon's father letting fly with the magic wands and items during the night attack.”
Ed replies:

Those Stormweather “house items” had either been made for the lord wielding them, or he’d been trained by a “house wizard” in their use (training in this case meaning practice under instruction, with actual “firing” or discharging of the item a “must”). As a result, he could use them just fine despite being a non-caster. The same would follow for anyone not of too-low intelligence or seriously-impaired dexterity. And yes, anyone told EXACTLY how to activate an item can do so, assuming the item isn’t itself governed by magical conditions that limit activators by alignment, gender, race, or some other limitation the “anyone” doesn’t “fit” with.
However, as anyone who has fired a gun or activated a fire extinguisher or tried to drive a car for the first time learns, turning the thing on isn’t the same as “hitting what you’re aiming at” or otherwise safely and successfully using it (to avoid bloody and horrible examples, let me just remind movie viewers of the tribal chieftan discovering machine guns at the end of the rescue-the-dinosaurs kids’ movie BABY). DMs often wear evil smiles upon such occasions for very good reasons. Now, as a DM I tend to be a bit of a softie: I’m not interested in killing or maiming PCs, or ruining good adventuring on their part by plunging them into utter disaster, because of a moment of recklessness or desperation on one PC’s part (I WILL “reward” PATTERNS of reckless, careless, or stupid behaviour, however). I tend to have “PC magic item” screwups be comical, dramatic, and help the PCs as much as they hinder the PCs, but in unexpected ways (blowing up a castle turret full of treasure the PCs were after, but by doing so blocking onrushing enemies and giving the PCs a chance to escape, for instance . . . or having the PC blasting away with an uncontrolled “wild” wand damage all sorts of valuables and make everyone run for cover, reducing some PCs to scorched near-nakedness with a loss of their magic weapons and treasure - - but out of sheer chance [Tymora has a sense of humour] toppling the evil wizard from his perch on high, so he can’t blast the PCs; that sort of thing).
Please note: familiarity grants fair competence with a particular item or items, NOT “all wands like that one” or “every magic sword of similar heft.” UMD comes in when trying to extend trained competence with one wand to being able to use others.

So saith Ed. Who should really be hit with Realms questions more than rules questions, folks (please understand this is just a general reminder, not a criticism of createvmind, because this particular query is a “how do you run it in the Realms” question, and therefore fits Ed’s lap just fine. Ahem, somewhat as I do.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  02:49:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And Sage, Ed had dated all of the sketches I saw, and at least one had "1986" on it.
So, 1986, eh? Neato!
quote:
They are small, thumbnail scenes and head shots, not "proper illustrations." Black-and-white line, some pointualism, a variety of styles.
Interesting. I look forward to seeing how they'll be put to use.
quote:
As readers of the long-ago Dragon know (check out the illustration of the Gaund, for instance) Ed is quite a good illustrator.
I do, in fact, recall that image. As it happens, it ended up being the inspiration for something in a long-ago DRAGONLANCE campaign. Heh.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  03:42:46  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
And it's not even my birthday, thank you so much.

And yes I am all about realmslore, a fiend for it in fact so on that note, what mutated kinds of trolls and troll blooded creatures dwell within the Trollbark woods and Troll Moutains is what I want to know? Figured I'd appraoch it from a different angle since still patiently awaiting a reply on how trolls keep up with the "arms/magic race".
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  08:25:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
Dear Ed,

In another thread (url]http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9569[/url]) Markustay brought up the question as to which degree the I3-5 Desert of Desolation series was canon. I know that the module was basically a compilation module of modules which had been written before the Forgotten Realms became a TSR-published setting. Some additional material was written to fit the original modules into the Forgotten Realms (reference to Elminster, Durpar, etc.). Although I would never say that it seems a bit like a square peg and a round hole (I'd say the hole was hexagonal), it seemed a bit odd that the first module to be marketed as "Forgotten Realms" would be set in a very peripheral region, which since has not received all that much attention. Were you involved in the creation of the additional material, and if so, can you shed some light on how this interesting decision was reached?
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  09:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
If you don't mind a quick question Mr. Greenwood.
The question is this have you ever though about writting a book or series with another author?
Such as Mercedes Lackey, James Mallory, Sara Douglass, L. E Modesitt, jr, R. A. Salvature, Phillip Athans, Douglas Niles, Abby Lyyn, Harry Turtledove or any other author.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  13:51:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

If you don't mind a quick question Mr. Greenwood.
The question is this have you ever though about writting a book or series with another author?
Such as Mercedes Lackey, James Mallory, Sara Douglass, L. E Modesitt, jr, R. A. Salvature, Phillip Athans, Douglas Niles, Abby Lyyn, Harry Turtledove or any other author.

You are aware, are you not, of the Realms books that Ed has co-authored? He's co-written at least three, that I can think of: Cormyr (with Jeff Grubb), Death of the Dragon (with Troy Denning), and The City of Splendors (with Elaine Cunningham).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  01:40:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. As promised, I whisked Faraer’s query: “O Ed, a person on the Wizards.com boards says they're arguing with people who think Realms priests are monolaters who give absolutely no worship, reverence or praise to any but 'their' god. Pray, a few sentences about that?” off to Ed, and here’s his swift reply:

Given the way priests have been portrayed in much published Realms fiction (many fanatics, or single-minded clerics striving to survive and accomplish things in moments of crisis, even divine crises) that’s an understandable view of Realms clergy to reach.
Understandable, but wrong.
There are fanatics and other individual exceptions to every statement about the religious behaviours of any group of beings, but in general we can make these general statements:
1. Successful priests in the Realms tend to be beings who are most comfortable devoting the majority of their time, efforts, and attention to one deity.
2. All intelligent, reasonably sane, old-enough-to-understand-the-basics-of-life-around-them beings in the Realms KNOW there are multiple gods, believe in those gods, and respect and worship many of those gods often, and many more deities occasionally, when they deem it appropriate.
To elaborate on this: gamers who have difficulty conceiving of how folk believe and behave in a polytheistic setting are usually those who come from a real-world monotheistic background (Christian, for example, but it could just as easily be Zoroastrian or Muslim); consciously or unconsciously, this colours their thinking.
A priest in the Realms puts “their” deity first, but would consider it “crazed” to deny or ignore the existence of other deities, often works with or actively honours other deities (particularly deities allied to their own, in alliances such as the Triad, or the close bond between Azuth and Mystra), and would probably be awed in the presence of the avatar or a manifestation of ANY deity.
The current game approach to godhood unfortunately leads some gamers to think of gods as superheroes or supervillains, that valiant PCs can readily vanquish if they just get power enough (or get lucky, or both), and not something inherently greater than mortals. The “awe” and “wonder” get lost in the rush to check an avatar’s hit points so they can be slain.
Let us look at some anonymous sample priests for a moment. These holy folk will have a roster of “duty” or “expected” prayers to their primary deity (always pray to Azuth at sundown, or Lathander at sunrise, and so on). On top of that, they will be moved by their feelings, events, or commandments of their superiors to add additional “heartfelt” prayers.
They will also have moments of personal, private contemplation, during which they will usually strengthen their primary faith by reasoning things through, and by contesting dogma against the teachings or beliefs or divine utterances of other faiths, comparing and contrasting. So they compare, say, Torm’s LG law-and-order approach to the “tooth and claw” natural order of Malar, or various CG or NG or NE-based “rules” or legal systems. So a good priest knows and understands at least the basics of other faiths. They KNOW Talos has control over storms, Tymora over good fortune and Beshaba over bad, and so on.
They also know that there are two supports of worship everyone practices, all the time: reverence and appeasement. As do all other beings, they too practice both sorts of worship.
They worship “their own” god reverently, but give prayers and even offerings to other deities to ward off the displeasure or active hostility of that other deity, as daily needs arise (I, Zorsel, priest of Ilmater, have to travel by ship, so Umberlee sink not my ship, Talos send no storms against it, and I’d better pray to Tymora for good fortune, and pray to several other deities for successful navigation and voyaging, too . . . I shall of course flog myself and then dip up salt water from over the side to wash my wounds while praying to Ilmater, so as to suffer and so venerate Ilmater during the voyage).
In like manner, a devout priest of Bane will still murmur a prayer to Tymora for luck to be on his side when going into a dangerous meeting with superiors, and that is NOT considered an affront to Bane. Cursing by this deity or that is considered blasphemous only in particular contexts. It would a sin for a priest of a primarily LE faith to seek important spiritual guidance in prayers to a CG deity, yes, but not to appease that deity by a swift offering or prayer.
Remember, “faith” in the Realms does not mean “believing God exists without direct evidence.” It means knowing ALL gods exist (though some of them may actually be other gods, working through different guises or avatars; priests aregue about such things and non-priests tend to leave such debates to priests) and taking on “faith” that this mortal priest’s command or teachings or interpretation is in accordance with the god’s true wishes (or doing one’s own interpretation of dream-visions, and trusting one is right until told or shown different by the god).
There are of course opposed deities (Chauntea versus Eldath, Shar versus Sêlune) and unlikely combinations of clashing faiths, that would make worship of one deity by a priest of another highly unlikely. Common sense will identify these to any DM, but even they can be altered for a given campaign, if desired, by shifting divine alignments and portfolios. However, the published Realms tries to present a consistent “starting basis” Realms for all DMs to trust in.
That same published Realmslore - - except comments by me, here and there, down the years - - has indeed neglected “appeasement” worship, though it’s been in print since issue 54 of The DRAGON (unless my memory of what got edited out of that article is faulty) in favour of “reverent” worship.
It is also true that religious leaders, novices in the first “bloom” of their fervent desire to serve, and certain “enforcer of the faith” priests all tend to be fanatics or to cleave to “one god matters, ignore the others” views, but such attitudes rarely survive for long - - and many who APPEAR to hold them actually worship other deities in private, either silently and inwardly or in small “hedge one’s bets” ways such as a murmured name, touching a flower held sacred, pausing to enjoy a sunrise or sunset to silently honour another deity associated with that phenomenon, and so on.
The Knights of Myth Drannor once examined the body of a recently-slain Zhentarim priestess of Bane, and found that her nipples were scarred with many small burns. Employing magic to learn more, they discovered that she feared becoming too proud and tyrannical, and to guard against this would steal off alone into ruins, to lie down and secretly burn stubs of holy altar candles of Ilmater that she mounted on her own breasts, praying to both Bane and Ilmater as they burned down to gutter out.
Torm of the Knights later learned that upon her death, Bane had through visions sent a dedicated priest of Bane to an altar of Ilmater, to there make a rich and public offering in the name of the dead priestess.

So saith Ed. Illustrating just how rich and deep his ideas of religion in the Realms are. At the same time, one can understand the practical reasons that TSR “back in the day” would avoid publishing a lot of this material.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  14:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Fantastische. Ever flexible with wordcount, to our gain!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  02:14:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow fans of the Realms. This time I bring you Ed’s response to this from Rolindin: “If you don't mind a quick question Mr. Greenwood. The question is this have you ever thought about writing a book or series with another author?
Such as Mercedes Lackey, James Mallory, Sara Douglass, L. E Modesitt, jr, R. A. Salvatore, Philip Athans, Douglas Niles, Lynn Abbey, Harry Turtledove or any other author.”
Darling Wooly (ohhh, to run my fingers through soft, sleek, shining hamster fur! It is to drift into rapture . . .) rightly pointed out that Ed co-wrote three Realms novels: Cormyr (with Jeff Grubb), Death of the Dragon (with Troy Denning), and The City of Splendors (with Elaine Cunningham).
To that I can add a fourth TSR collab: The Diamond (with Rob King; it’s much shorter, but on the other hand was done in a bare day or so), and of course the work Ed did on the Sembia series (the truth is that Ed confers with many, many writers behind the scenes to hand them Realmslore, discuss countries and characters they plan to use in their books, and so on). Ed has of course co-written many, many games products, for Kenzer and Margaret Weis Productions as well as TSR/WotC, and even co-designed the Mornmist (a name Ed came up with) fantasy setting with Lynn Abbey for Vision Books, some years back. He’s also working on a still-secret project with various authors, right now . . .
But enough from me; Ed of course has a reply for Rolindin on collaborations, on his own behalf:

Of course I don’t mind, and certainly I’ve thought about collaborations, have done some, and will probably do more in the future. Despite the extra work (inevitable when chapters must go back-and-forth, a plot worked out or at least discussed together, and so on), I love doing collaborations. They do eat up a lot more time than doing a work alone (a collaboration is very rarely “half the work” of a solo novel), and time is something I rarely have any to spare of, but I do enjoy collaborative work because I always ask the other writer to decide how they want to “handle” the collaboration, so it’s almost always a different process from the last time I worked with another writer, and so always interesting.
I have read and enjoyed the work of every writer on your list (I regularly “blurb” Sara Douglass and Bob Salvatore books), have met five of them, and consider four of them friends, seen another (Misty Lackey) across a room at a convention, and wouldn’t hesitate to sit down with any of them and try to write a book, if asked to.
“Asked to” by the other writer, or our agents, or a publisher, that is. These days, my time is spoken for years in advance, I have three series of novels on the go at once, and I suspect the same is true for all of the writers you list, and know it is true for five of them. So there has to be a serious arrangement in place, to chisel out time in my schedule for such a time-eating project, because I do make my living as a writer (I don’t “write on the side” and live on money that comes from other work), and I do like to eat, keep possession of my home, and so on.
If you’d like to see such a collaboration, please gain control of a wealthy publisher and order them to contact your dream team of collaborators, and we’ll leap into the bed together and get to work (on choosing more appropriate metaphors, if nothing else :} ).

So saith Ed, who has written or co-written some 170 books now, if my count isn’t too far off. I know he lost track long ago.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  02:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, Ed and Lady THO,
ziresta recently asked (among other things) about Lliira worship in Cormyr.
I’d like to ask about the Cormyrean worship of the soundalike goddess, “Leira,” the illusion and deception one, before the Time of Troubles. HOW was she worshipped? I don’t need NPC names or precise temple locations or anything, just some idea of how the faith operated - - and so, what they might have left behind. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  03:12:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed,

I was browsing through your replies from this year and I was wondering if you could expand on your mention of finishing schools that are in some of the large cities. You specifically mentioned Waterdeep and Silverymoon, mostly in the reply from Jan of this year.

So could you note a few more details about the schools and maybe those in a few other cities? I know, this might turn into a large topic but I was curious about those places and so I was seeking more lore.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  03:26:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Good request, Kuje! Off it goes . . .
And in the return direction, this time Ed responds to Blueblade’s recent question: “Dear Ed and Lady THO, Some DMing pointers, if you will...
I want to incorporate a murder mystery into a nobles' revel in Cormyr. How should I foreshadow, or should I? Build up characters without being obvious? Etc. Thanks!”
Ed replies:

This is one of those questions that I could write a long series of articles about, and still not cover completely (no, THO, no, DON’T start writing “long series of articles on murder mystery” down on my endlessly-expanding ‘to do’ list! I’ve got THREE more novels to write this year, to say nothing of mumble mumble and mumble mumble - - oh, and don’t forget mumble mumble, either!).
So I’m going to answer this one in general terms. Urban-setting play works best (when PCs are staying in one city or town for a time) like a TV sitcom or Coronation Street: when there’s a “core” cast of recurring characters and a secondary cast of seldom-seen but remembered faces supporting characters, established by the DM and brought back repeatedly in play. Think of how Terry Pratchett handles the Watch-centered Discworld books: there are new characters particular to each novel (and a high body count among them), but “tried and true” characters who dwell in Ankh-Morpork step into each book. If you do the same, and “cheat foreshadow” by having rumors and scandals and juicy stories about some of these NPCs circulate at revels and in the city streets BEFORE the one where your murder occurs, so that the PCs are already forming opinions about this core cast of characters, the death will “matter more,” the “suspecting and detecting” will really become workable, and the ongoing campaign will be richer regardless of what happens concerning the murder and the murderer. The secret of any successful campaign is “characters that matter,” lively play that builds colorful memories and incorporates PC achievements, and therefore an unfolding history that players identify with, enjoy, and take pride in. All of that begins with your core cast of NPCs. Bring them to life, and everything else will follow . . .

So saith Ed. Who of course speaks from golden experience.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaysae
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  03:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Kaysae's Homepage Send Kaysae a Private Message
I believe Four From Cormyr presented just such a scenario in one of the mini-adventures. It was pretty good and is available for free on the Wizards old edition download page.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  04:44:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kaysae

I believe Four From Cormyr presented just such a scenario in one of the mini-adventures. It was pretty good and is available for free on the Wizards old edition download page.

Which is here: the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  12:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed and Ms One, Meldread, who asked the monolatry question, passes on his 'Huge thanks'. Appeasement is what I'd been calling propitiatory worship. "Down-to-earth divinity" indeed talks about 'placating ("lip-service worship") another', and several other sources talk about appeasing gods -- so this did get to print.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  02:00:58  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I would like to ask a few paladin questions, if I may. When a paladin passes on, what happens to his belongings exactly? Do they get interred with him, (armor, shield, holy avenger, etc.), or do they go to his surviving family? If one of the paladin's children became a paladin, would they receive their father's holy weapon? What if that person already had a holy weapon? Would it go then to the church? How exactly are these decisions reached, also?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  03:32:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Herewith, more Realmslore words from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to Rolindin’s query: “Mr. Greenwood: I read your answer to the aging question. Here's something along that line; I have a question, too. It seems to me that the answer is more a human answer; what about the other races?
Do the elves, half elves, dwarves, and halfings have some of the same aspects? Do the other races still try to keep young in certain ways magical and non magical, to stay young. Or do they respect their elders and think that they are beautful, such as a older dwarf, elf, halfling "woman"?
Has the human element (trying to look young) influenced the other races and they try to stay young and hide their age in certain circumstances?”
Ed replies:

Individuals of all races try to stay vigorous, and a lot of what we think of as “human nature” is (as I postulate in the Realms, anyway) actually “universal nature:” children and youths tend to be reckless and consider themselves invincible; minds tend to become more conservative with advancing age, and so on. However, the demi-human races (elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings) and their halfbreeds, too, tend to have lower birthrates than humans, older cultures, and to “live more in tune with nature” as opposed to taming nature as much; even when elves “garden” forests, dwarves and gnomes reshape rock, and halflings weave and craft weirs and the like, they do so with a greater understanding of what nature forces truly are, and their place in harmony with them, than city-dwelling humans in the Realms.
As such, they tend to see aging as inevitable and beauty and worth in all beings of all ages.
This is, of course, a general statement; on an individual level it breaks down.
Vain individuals, or those who see it as necessary for their own advancement or the good of their family, clan, community, or even race to “remain young” or be able to fool others into thinking them young will often use herbs, carefully controlled diet and activity (avoid salt air, winter travel in harsh conditions, hard work that might scar, etc.) and, yes, magic to appear young.
Elves in particular often use magic to wear more beautiful shapes if they want to win the interest of young elves, and of course many of these races will use magic to change their personal appearances so as to appear to be another race (human, for example) so as to escape special notice or racism or even actual persecution when among other races (elves or even half-orcs in a human city, for example), or to increase utility (ugly dwarf who needs coin and is willing to work as a prostitute might want to appear as a beautiful human, to increase takings or even the chance of being “hired” at all).
So, yes, some of these races do try to “appear young” in many circumstances, but it usually has nothing to do with any human influence.
Human culture in the Realms, by the way, does not place the same emphasis on youth that our modern Western real-world culture does (it may SEEM that way when reading some Realms novels, but on the other hand, remember this: life is so much harder in the Realms that fewer old people survive, and unmarred beauty is prized because it is rarer; most people get scars and wrinkles and sunburnt or mottled skin just through daily living). You can by all means have “your” Realms campaign have the same attitudes as a particular modern real-world country or culture (Hollywood, for example), but the Realms I am striving to show all gamers doesn’t quite have those attitudes.

So saith Ed. Who doesn’t control the actual words used in any Realms product (as with any other writer, editors stand between him and the page) and so can’t always mitigate the tendency of Realms products to too closely reflect our “changing attitudes of the moment,” or the culture the products are published in (modern, Christian-dominated, Hollywood-culture America). He wants Realms products to be easily understandable by, and enjoyable to, we gamers, but to subtly and continually remind them that (I’m quoting Ed here, from a seminar he once gave at a con that I taped) “the Realms isn’t Hollywood medieval Earth. It can be if you want it to be, but you’ll have to twist it here and stretch it over there, to make it so.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  04:22:48  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Oops, forgot one, heh. In Baldur's Gate II there is a headquarters for the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart in Athkatla. Are there other headquarters in the Realms as well, or at least chapter houses in major cities, such as Suzail and Waterdeep? Sorry for not posting this with the rest of my questions, ma'am.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000