Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  18:08:33  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

I know you have likely been asked about the topic of longevity magics in within the 3.5 edition rules. If I am asking something that has already been covered (the search method seems a tad broad when I look for things, maybe I'm missing something)maybe one of my fellow scribes could direct me to the thread. That being said, here is my query.

How available would say a potion of longevity or an elixir of youth be now that we have a far more refined way of magic item creation? I know you still play 2nd edition, but hope you may have some insight to share on the subject. While I understand Mr. Schend authored Blackstaff and that Malchor is a powerful wizard, it seems that the use of longevity magic is common enough amongst those able to afford/create it by the scene in Blackstaff and the age of many of the NPCs in the realms of advanced age.

Thanks

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 09 May 2007 18:10:56
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  23:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hello Hooded One--could you pass on to Ed that I finally got around to reading Cormyr: A Novel, and I very much enjoyed it? I thought the historical portions of book meshed wonderfully with the story taking place in 1369 DR, and needless to say I know more about the history of Cormyr than ever, now, from just those little tidbits. :)

Rino, I actually have used those very inspiring historical parts for hand-outs (torn parchments, diary pages, historical tomes etc.) in my campaign. My players very *especially* impressed with the details of the battle against the Witch-Lords (e.g. when the elven cavalry arrives on the field).
I listened to the album 'El Greco' (by Vangelis) as I was reading this book, and the music fit the mood of the novel so well, that I still play it on the background whenever we play in Cormyr.

Milady THO, will you also pass on to Ed my great admiration of this marvelous book, too? In my opinion it is the *best* FR novel ever written, and in general one of best fantasy novels I've read so far!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  02:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Off your query goes to Ed, Adrix. In the meantime, consider this a highly unofficial answer, from my memories of Realmsplay sessions with Ed as DM: pressed date and fig cakes, dried sausages (akin to those "hot pepperoni" dessicated sausage things sold in convenience stores in the real world of today), quince-and-crushed-insects sticks (in the Vilhon, Shaar, Var, and Estagund), "handwheels" (palm-sized torii [or "toruses," if you prefer] of sealed-in-wax cheeses (of various flavours, some of them with crushed olives rolled into the cheese as it's made)).
Those are some of the trail snacks. As for "bought from shop windows" hot snacks in cities, Ed has covered those here: all manner of savoury tarts and pies, plus those handwheels of cheese, some of them laced with zzar or various other sherries or brandies. We ate some in Calimport once that contained rats in spiced gravy; very nice until we discovered what they were.
love,
THO

If memory serves me correctly, there is a "canonical" answer in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog (in the food section, I believe). The Catalog's "official" description of their trail ration package doesn't sound too bad, but you can't believe everything you read, can you?!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  04:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Adrix
What makes up traveling rations, specifically, is there anything unique to the realms or various regions contained within?
Thrusk!
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn
How available would say a potion of longevity or an elixir of youth be now that we have a far more refined way of magic item creation?
Exactly as available as they ever were; rules have nothing to do with this. (As for refined (and Realms-accurate), that would be Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  06:15:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed.

As Ed told us back in May '05... "yes, there’s still longevity magic in the Realms. Rules changes don’t alter established lore. Even if your PCs can’t find or get potions of longevity, or you as players can’t find them in the rulebooks, it doesn’t mean NPCs in the established Realms (such as Mirt, Durnan, Filfaeril, and dozens more) didn’t find and imbibe (or even store, for future use) them in the past.

Rules should never trump accumulated Realmslore (our collective imagined ‘reality’)."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  10:13:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

(As for refined (and Realms-accurate), that would be Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.)

And Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is available for free from the Wizards downloads page. It's a wonderful resource -- one of my personal faves. I don't care what rules have come out since then -- to me, that book has the best flavor of all magic references, and I'd favor the rules and guidelines in there long before those in any 3E source.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  15:22:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Wow, came to add a question and find one of my more crucial questions answered, perfect timing too, thank you.

What was recently floating through my head was if you could share any info on Crossroads and Gaurdians if possible, specifically looking if you actually have Crossroads in Reaching Woods or any land region, and are they always above ground?

There might be information on a sample crossroads and guardian in an upcoming product. ;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  18:12:52  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Mr. Boyd,

Funny that you should respond, I was actually wondering if your bestiary will get updated at some point, great work btw.

Hello All,

Ed I have a player who is a cleric and is trying to use the spell Read Magic to try and read a wizards spellbook, tell me if I'm close on this please. I don't think this is possible just cause one uses the spell, but if I'm wrong then please assist here. This is obviously less about the "rules and mechanics" than it is about just roleplay and immersing oneself in a world as oppossed to just finding ways to metagame information.

1- I assume all wizards write spells in their own cryptic fashion so such a thing like a simple read magic would not tell anyone other than another wizard what the spell might be.
So the text for a fireball spell by this particular mage would read...

I pluck at the Art about me seeking the precise mote of power,
With breath of the volcano to call forth it's incandescent might
and dung of (other term for bat) to send my power forth
I shape my will to burn my enemies before me.

Think it probably contains more, just off the top of my head, but a non-wizard wouldn't know this meant FIREBALL even with Read Magic.

2- I also assume that the wording and choice of color pertaining to certain symbols written in a spellbook would be a method in which the scriber would know when to raise change his inflection or tone or what somatic movement is required at that precise point. So how would you deal with this in gameplay if the person asked you what spells they now "understand" by using read magic and not being an arcane caster, all of course in Faerun.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  18:59:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Thanks Mr. Boyd,

Funny that you should respond, I was actually wondering if your bestiary will get updated at some point, great work btw.

You are aware, aren't you, of the release of the second volume several months ago?
Realms Bestiary, Volumes 1 & 2

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 May 2007 19:01:04
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  23:01:30  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

While I understand you still play 2nd edition, I'll refocus my longevity magic inquiry and hope you can provide some guidance. With the rules as they stand in 3.5 edition, how would you handle the making of longevity potions in order for them to maintain the appropriate level of scarcity? I'm considering making it a requirement to take a separate feat (Create longevity magics), which would require an instructor to obtain, or an appropriate amount of coin spent in research.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  00:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hello Hooded One--could you pass on to Ed that I finally got around to reading Cormyr: A Novel, and I very much enjoyed it? I thought the historical portions of book meshed wonderfully with the story taking place in 1369 DR, and needless to say I know more about the history of Cormyr than ever, now, from just those little tidbits. :)

Rino, I actually have used those very inspiring historical parts for hand-outs (torn parchments, diary pages, historical tomes etc.) in my campaign. My players very *especially* impressed with the details of the battle against the Witch-Lords (e.g. when the elven cavalry arrives on the field).

I can understand why--that novel is probably the most inspiring I've read in a long time (a lot of great quotes in it, too).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 May 2007 00:28:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  00:39:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Ed & THO,

While I understand you still play 2nd edition, I'll refocus my longevity magic inquiry and hope you can provide some guidance. With the rules as they stand in 3.5 edition, how would you handle the making of longevity potions in order for them to maintain the appropriate level of scarcity? I'm considering making it a requirement to take a separate feat (Create longevity magics), which would require an instructor to obtain, or an appropriate amount of coin spent in research.

Thanks

I'm not Ed... But I'd not require a feat to do it. I'd require some seriously exotic components, some seriously complicated steps for making the potion, and then say that those who do know the correct procedure are very few, and not willing to share. For added fun, you could make a high chance of failure, even if the steps are all followed correctly (perhaps one of the main ingredients is quite unstable, and/or has a limited shelf life).

I've never actually DM'ed... But I do favor using flavor over rules, and I don't like making feats just for one activity that won't happen all that oft (because making longevity potions is not useful or desired for most situations).

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  04:18:30  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thanks Mr. Boyd,

You are aware, aren't you, of the release of the second volume several months ago?
Realms Bestiary, Volumes 1 & 2

I am aware as I have downloaded them months ago and noticed skills such as Wilderness Lore and such, so unless Mr. Boyd has done some updating since then thats great, if not then my question remains valid.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  09:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

Having researched the area of Triboar a bit, am I right in assuming a possible entrance to the Underdark exists in the general area? The North p. 78 seems to suggest that Ilrin Sharadin the renowned guide and tracker has dealings with the drow, while Nurvureem, "The Dark Lady", "does recall a time when she hated sunlight and lurked in caves that come to the surface somewhere near Triboar, exploring the surface world in tentative forays that occurred only in fog, stormgloom, or the darkness of night."

If that is the case, what would be the purpose of any drow party/individuals having Ilrin, a "puny human", as their "surfacer" contact? Surely a single person cannot buy surface equipment/goods in large enough quantities to act as a front. Or would he more likely be a go-between, organising trades with less than scrupulous merchants, but where the deal -- akin to a shady drug buy I suppose -- is performed close to/in the "caves that come to the surface"?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  10:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Wow, came to add a question and find one of my more crucial questions answered, perfect timing too, thank you.

What was recently floating through my head was if you could share any info on Crossroads and Gaurdians if possible, specifically looking if you actually have Crossroads in Reaching Woods or any land region, and are they always above ground?

There might be information on a sample crossroads and guardian in an upcoming product. ;-)

--Eric

Eric, you shameless teaser... can you reveal anything more?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  19:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ed & THO,

While I understand you still play 2nd edition, I'll refocus my longevity magic inquiry and hope you can provide some guidance.

(snip)

Thanks

I'm not Ed... But I'd not require a feat to do it. I'd require some seriously exotic components, some seriously complicated steps for making the potion, and then say that those who do know the correct procedure are very few, and not willing to share. For added fun, you could make a high chance of failure, even if the steps are all followed correctly (perhaps one of the main ingredients is quite unstable, and/or has a limited shelf life).

(snip)

Not only do I fully concur, but I would suggest using the Volo's Guide to All Things Magical tables for Halaster's potion (or at least one of the others) to determine what the effect of such a potion would be on a user. I would imagine that the effects of a Potion of Longevity made nowadays would be highly tailored to one person's metabolism and so each batch would react differently with different folk.

AlorinDawn, don't forget that there is a canonical precedent for what happens to someone who is propped up by various potions who then enters a dead magic zone. Centuries-old twenty-something level arcanist in a dead magic zone? Drops like a rock!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  01:17:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. Sorry for the short silence; it may fall again for a few days, as Ed scrambles (around family commitments) to get back on schedule. Rest assured that his silences mean more lovely Realmslore for us all will appear eventually.
To AlorinDawn: I quite agree. Ed IS simply amazing. He disagrees with that assessment (that oh-so-Canadian modesty!), but yesterday I happened to be visiting him for a day while he spoke to students at a VERY prestigious old private school, then dropped in on the ladies at his favourite bookstore and dredged up some book details from his memory to help another patron who wanted a book on making one’s own plugs (fishing lures), got home and whipped up a quick short story for a charity book, and then in the evening designed a bookmark for a local ratepayers’ group - - and heard similar opinions of Ed from ALL of them. Pretty good for a fat, aging guy with an untidy beard.
I think the nicest thing I heard all day was from a senior in Port Hope whom Ed saw by chance and greeted with a hug and some nice words. She told me: “He always makes me laugh. He doesn’t even know my name, but he cares about me enough to make me laugh.”
Yes, that’s our Ed.
So, on to Words from our Ed. This time he responds to this post, from Rinonalyrna Fathomlin: “Hello Hooded One--could you pass on to Ed that I finally got around to reading Cormyr: A Novel, and I very much enjoyed it? I thought the historical portions of book meshed wonderfully with the story taking place in 1369 DR, and needless to say I know more about the history of Cormyr than ever, now, from just those little tidbits. :) I think I was most struck by Tanalasta at the end of the book. During most of the book I was disappointed in her, because in spite of having some good strengths (like being intelligent) she cried a lot and tore up pillows; I had to agree with Vangey that grief is no excuse not to do anything when a whole realm is at stake. Yet at the end of the book, she seems more empowered and makes the decision to cultivate her own strengths and not be overly reliant on others. Those are the kind of transformations I always enjoy seeing--and considering that Tanalasta was, at the time, a 36 year old woman, one could see that ending scene as a sort of rebirth for her.
There were a few things I was hoping to see more of: Alusair and Filfaeril. :) And Emthrara and Rhauligan, and some more common folk. But then, it was already quite the large book, and I'll get another Cormyr fix later this summer. I did love the way Vangey was portrayed, and I do feel like I "know" him better. So once again, thanks for the enjoyment--I'd thank Jeff Grubb too, but he's not here.”
Asgetrion then posted: “Rino, I actually have used those very inspiring historical parts for hand-outs (torn parchments, diary pages, historical tomes etc.) in my campaign. My players very *especially* impressed with the details of the battle against the Witch-Lords (e.g. when the elven cavalry arrives on the field).
I listened to the album 'El Greco' (by Vangelis) as I was reading this book, and the music fit the mood of the novel so well, that I still play it on the background whenever we play in Cormyr.
Milady THO, will you also pass on to Ed my great admiration of this marvelous book, too? In my opinion it is the *best* FR novel ever written, and in general one of best fantasy novels I've read so far!”
Ed replies:

Gosh. Best Realms novel ever written? One of the best fantasy novels? I wish I agreed. I DO think it worked (we set out to achieve what we wanted to, which was to “do a Michener” in the Realms, meaning a multigenerational novel in the style of the late James Michener, that would really “show all of you Cormyr”), and I believe it’s a solid, readable, enduring novel. Some readers love the result of our experiment, others prefer simpler-in-format books that don’t jump back and forth in time. It is THE essential Cormyr novel.
I also think it’s a good book largely because Jeff Grubb (a deservedly-veteran game designer and often-overlooked or -undervalued fiction writer; his collaborations with his wife, Kate Novak, really shine) did a great job. He “got” the mood and flavour of Cormyr, so there were no awkward conflicts of content between his writing and mine. With veteran Bill Larson as our editor (who told us, “What you handed me wasn’t nearly as bad as I’d been led to expect.” :} ), Jeff wrote the back-in-time sequences, and I did the modern ones (exception: Jeff wrote all the Wyvernspur moments, chose the villains, and plotted the Abraxus matter). As we finished each batch (three or so), we’d hand them to each other to rewrite, so as to give me the chance to “drop in Realmslore” and Jeff the chance to rescue my picaresque style into straight-ahead storytelling. The “back-in-time” segments are really a series of little short stories, of course, and I’m very pleased with how Jeff brought some of my favourite characters (like Duar) to life.
I’m glad you liked the growth of Tanalasta; I tried to very briefly revisit her in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR (and Alusair in SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE), because I did neglect her a bit (thanks to wordcount problems) in CORMYR: A NOVEL. We told you she was the quiet, studious, rather priggish take-self-too-seriously royal heir, but we didn’t quite do enough to SHOW you that, before her romance started to change her. In doing so, we lost a lot of the impact that her “starting to really grow up” should have had (Troy Denning got a chance to show us more, in BEYOND THE HIGH ROAD and DEATH OF THE DRAGON). That’s one of the weaker bits of the book. So is our almost complete neglect of Azoun and Filfaeril as a couple (for a little bit of a remedy, see my Realmslore web columns for Wizards this past year, plus an all-too-brief scene at the end of SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE), and our neglect of the rustics like Emthara and Rhauligan. There was no space to do better in the book, in part because we tackled something too large in scope to fit between any one set of covers, and in part because I was still WAY too wordy a writer, then (an affliction I haven’t entirely been cured of, mind you :} ). I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the chance to do justice to some of those characters, but ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER and my story in REALMS OF SHADOW were a few stabs at trying to redress the neglect.
Which brings me to an idea that I’ve been kicking around for a while. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the chance to do this, but if I could (somehow and somewhen), what are the “scenes you’d like to see” if I wrote some Realms short stories covering them? Moments or confrontations or events we already know about or can infer have happened by reading published Realmslore, that don’t primarily involve characters created by others, or “heavily adopted” by others (meaning: I’d rather not trammel Elaine’s hands by doing more Elaith moments, or Steven’s by using Khelben overmuch)? Which characters (of mine, including background NPCs or “bit part” characters) would you like to see more of?
To all scribes who read this, please post your desires in this thread. This is NOT a promise I can or will make, that you’ll “definitely” see new fiction from me addressing, somewhere. However, I would like to know whom you feel we’ve neglected, or events and scenes you’d like to see told in more depth, or for the first time. I carry a giant, rather confused mental tapestry of the Realms in my head, all the time, and sometimes forget what has been put into print and what’s just sitting in my head; it would be nice to have some of the holes in the print version pointed out to me again.

So saith Ed. Aha, scribes, here’s your chance!!! (Will there ever be another “Best of Eddie” anthology, I wonder? With, just imagining now, some never-before-seen tales in it that answer scribes’ requests?)
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  01:28:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Aha, scribes, here’s your chance!!! (Will there ever be another “Best of Eddie” anthology, I wonder? With, just imagining now, some never-before-seen tales in it that answer scribes’ requests?)
love to all,
THO
Ooooh... The temptation is simply too great!

My lady, both you and Ed have presented a remarkable challenge. I don't want to just list off any old characters. I'm going to do a little research first, and discover which of Ed's characters I'd like to see receive some further attention in the Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  01:40:49  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
ED & THO,

Ed... Too bad you don't agree with me, to chance sounding like a suck up. I know I can speak for all of us here. You rock and are going to have to deal with that very fact sir.

My question this go round is a big one, I think. Do you feel that WotC will continue to strongly support the Realms? Do you know if the sales of Realms publications are increasing decreasing, or staying the course? While I know you can only guess, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 12 May 2007 01:42:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  02:21:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

To all scribes who read this, please post your desires in this thread. This is NOT a promise I can or will make, that you’ll “definitely” see new fiction from me addressing, somewhere. However, I would like to know whom you feel we’ve neglected, or events and scenes you’d like to see told in more depth, or for the first time.

Some tales I'd like to see:

Mirt and Durnan arriving in Waterdeep
Any tales of the Company of Crazed Venturers
Any tales of Mintiper Moonsilver
Baelam the Bold! I've long been intrigued by him.
Any tales or info about Susprina Arkhenneld

And after rereading the old Dragon article on magical staves, I've been curious about Rilantaver, the "elusive trickster" inventor of Rilantaver's staff. I'd really love to know more about him, since I have an affinity for tricksters.

Go to Top of Page

Adrix
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  04:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Adrix's Homepage Send Adrix a Private Message
Any tales of the Company of Crazed Venturers ... I'll second that!

"Foaming flagons held up high, we salute those about to die ..."
- A toast overheard at the Yawning Portal Tavern, Waterdeep.

http://outlawdnd.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  05:47:15  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Something about Mirt and his adventures around the Lake of Steam, please !

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  06:41:08  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
To many to chose from; Something from the adventures of the Nine, a story about Brandon Battlemaster, stories from the perspective of (or in any way giving information about) some of the other races, such as goblinoids or korreds etc. Mirt is of course high on the list as well. Anything that Ed has not gotten around to addressing to put it simply.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  07:55:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
In no particular order, I'd like to see:

A story about Manshoon (something along the lines of a "A Day in the Life of Manshoon ...");
A story about Sharanralee;
A story about druids;
A story about dwarves;
A story about the pirates of the Nelanther;
A story about orcs/ an orc horde;
A story set in Candlekeep or the Vault of Sages.

Thanks for asking.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 12 May 2007 07:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  11:12:35  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
quote:
Which brings me to an idea that I’ve been kicking around for a while. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the chance to do this, but if I could (somehow and somewhen), what are the “scenes you’d like to see” if I wrote some Realms short stories covering them? Moments or confrontations or events we already know about or can infer have happened by reading published Realmslore, that don’t primarily involve characters created by others, or “heavily adopted” by others (meaning: I’d rather not trammel Elaine’s hands by doing more Elaith moments, or Steven’s by using Khelben overmuch)? Which characters (of mine, including background NPCs or “bit part” characters) would you like to see more of?

*descends into paroxysms of delight*
Brilliant Ed! This is far too good an opportunity for me to pass up..

The scenes I'd like to see are -:
* Anything covering Fzoul Chembryl's ascension to the head of the Church of Bane, becoming a Chosen, climbing to the top of the Zhentarim or during the period of the making of The Sceptre of the Tyrant's Eye.
* Manshoon's split personalities (hells.. you could even write a whole Manshoon anthology following the path of the various Manshoon clones, that'd be fun ;) )
* Something about some of the important but lesser known Harpers like -:Kornah the Crazy or that other lady who throws swords in Mulmaster who's name eludes me for example.
* Short Stories that highlight the /feel/ and features of some the important but rarely written about cities in the realms like Mulmaster, Berdusk, Marsember, Calaunt, etc.
* And being purely selfish (in true Zhent style) I'd like to see some expansion on the tales of the history Zhentil Keep.

Notice a common theme at all? :)

Thanks THO and Ed for your request for feedback. Its wonderful to know that the creator of the realms asks for input from Faerunian plebs such as myself :)

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  14:15:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
For some reason, the scene/character I'd most like to see something on at the moment would be Texter the paladin doing his thing out in the wilderness or settlements of the Sword Coast North. The two glimpses we've gotten of him in Elfsong and City of Splendours begs for more - and they're short enough that I don't think it'd be tranpling on Elaine's work either.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  15:14:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn

* Manshoon's split personalities (hells.. you could even write a whole Manshoon anthology following the path of the various Manshoon clones, that'd be fun ;) )

I've commented on wanting this one before.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  15:38:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Another vote for more Mirt and Durnan stories.

And another for more Manshoon lore.

And yet another for some Company of Crazed Venturer Lore.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  17:29:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'll second all of the suggestions offered so far.

A few more to add...

- A clergy-related tale that features a few tidbits on divine rituals particular to the deity being worshipped [preferrably any one of the original gods Ed outlined in "Down-to-Earth Divinity" from DRAGON #54].
- A story about bards, or sages, or loremasters.
- A story that takes place in or around Furigar.
- A tale featuring the exploits of any one of the adventuring companies described in the Border Kingdoms material.
- And while this may not directly touch on territory Richard Lee Byers may be dealing with in his current trilogy... I'd really like to see a story featuring some of "young" Szass Tam's early exploits in Thay.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 May 2007 17:34:16
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  17:30:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn

I've commented on wanting this one before.

Indeed. An anthology would be an ideal source for a series of tales that focus on the individual clones of Manshoon because, as Ed has said, there are actually more than the "official three" Manshoon clones running around in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000