Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  01:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Eytan if you check out Kujes files you should find some stuff on Princess Alusair of Cormyr which mentions magical sterilization

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  02:41:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time, I present a brief answer from Ed to Faraer, re. this posted back in November: “I think I suggested this as a "Realmslore" topic, but if it's not on Ed's table-groaning list, and if it won't be covered much in Knights III, I'd love to know more about the Circle of Shadowdale, the Battledale Seven, druidic circles in general, Aubaerus the Ravenmaster... I think the druids have influenced much behind the scenes in the history of the Dales.”
Ed replies:

The druids have indeed heavily influenced the unfolding history of the Dales, but almost always working as individuals, meeting one-on-one with individuals (the druids communicate among themselves, especially within the circles they belong to, as to what to do and how to do it, but their attempts to influence non-druids are almost always private “catch them alone” one-on-one meetings, because they believe - - quite rightly - - that establishing personal relationships is the most effective way to influence hardy, independent-minded Dalesfolk).
As as result, druids have been very effective in shaping Dale attitudes to living in harmony with the land, but have left almost no historical political traces for human sages to notice and write about.
Druids won’t be covered much in Knights III, and a lot of relevant lore here is being saved for forthcoming projects, but I can say that with the elves returning in numbers to the former Cormanthan lands, the circles active in the Dragonreach have largely shifted north to Daggerdale and the Border Forest, or south to Deepingdale and Battledale, seeking to keep an expanding Sembia from felling and plowing forest at the rate they had begun to threaten to do. Such efforts are of course complicated by what’s unfolding in Sembia right now (see Paul Kemp’s current trilogy), and may well meet with limited success. Expect to see some druids retreat west into Cormyr, and start quietly set to work taming some of the non-sylvan-native evils that stealthily moved into Hullack Forest over the last century or so.
What evils? Ah, I see NDAs swinging shut, dark and menacing, all around me . . . I will say more on matters druidic when I can, but that “when” may be some time off, I’m afraid. Lots on my plate just now, what with two last minute editing scrambles, a full-length game book deadline looming, rush material for the Wizards website and DRAGON, taxes, outlines for three of the four novels I still have to write this year, and some long-promised short stories and novellas dancing in front of me demanding attention, too. Still, many writers would trade major organs to land the work I’m facing, so I can hardly complain. Er, more than this. :}

So saith Ed. Who despite his mention of complaining, there, is one of the most PATIENT and long-suffering, truly professional writers I’ve ever met, in my years of toiling in the publishing trenches. His wife probably values all his dishwashing above that, though.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  12:48:13  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eytan if you check out Kujes files you should find some stuff on Princess Alusair of Cormyr which mentions magical sterilization

Wow! Wonders never cease.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  16:08:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Please ignore my Gloves of storing query, I've realized that the glove is not dimensional at all, maybe I'm thinking of a similar Faerunian item I saw somewhere, but I now see the Player will be fine with this scenario.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  16:42:36  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed/THO,

An email has been sent to Lisa Adams. I will keep you informed as soon as I get a response.

Thanks

I promise the fact I'm quoting myself does NOT indicate lunacy

I am keeping you two (Ed & THO) informed as I indicated in the above post. I have received feedback from Lisa Adams and it seems the workshop I suggested is a go! I will send Lisa a more detailed yet concise description of the workshop so it will fit in the Pentacon booklet. I must say I'm rather excited to see this happen. Thanks for being so receptive to the idea.

Do any of my fellow scribes in these hallowed halls also foresee attending Pentacon?

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 22 Apr 2007 16:44:43
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  19:24:58  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Back to game related inquiries!

Recently my gnomish bard and his companions came upon a very ancient treasure hoard. The DM told us we found 25 8 inch tall carved wooden figures of elven heroes which my bard was able to deduce were from some period of the Crown Wars in near perfect shape. In addition we located a magically preserved scroll hoard which provided information on each figure and his/her place in elven history. We also found a small music box of intricate design from the same time period. Can you provide some idea of what value these items might bring if sold in Waterdeep?

Thanks

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 23 Apr 2007 04:15:21
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  04:43:39  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message
Ed/THO

With the years of kindly providing answers to these threads, have fans ever asked a question that wasn't considered until it was asked here?

I ask because I'm continually amazed by the amount of detail Ed has put into the Realms. I know it's a long standing world, but the man sleeps right? =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  05:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin
I ask because I'm continually amazed by the amount of detail Ed has put into the Realms. I know it's a long standing world, but the man sleeps right? =)
Ha. Hahaha. BWAHAHAH! Ahem... sorry.

Ed's the 'hardest-working man in the fantasy business,' without peer. There may be some that, in the end, are more prolific when it comes to actual published work (though I doubt it; I just haven't checked), but Ed also spends an inordinate amount of time, energy, and writing assisting colleagues, providing backlore for various Realms projects, and answering questions here (equivalent to a full-length novel, every year for the last four years), in addition to his convention appearances, community work, day job, and his amazing support to other authors as a sounding-board, mentor and friend. There are those of us who remind him to slow down and take a rest every now and again, but he's usually typing a different novel with each hand when we do it. [No, not really. But it sometimes seems like it.]

So yes, Ed sleeps. Not nearly as often or as much as most would like. I think he's next scheduled for a nap sometime in mid-May.

But only if he makes his wordcount...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  06:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Dargoth, I don't know if we'll see the Teziir writeup in the last few issues of the physical DRAGON, and neither does Ed. It's a larger city (more map) than Crimmor, and would take even more space, so that would be a factor against printing it. On the other hand, the staff at Paizo has had it since April 2006 (the text, since February 2006; it took Ed longer to do the maps and graphics, both street graffiti and banners of businesses), so they may have commissioned illos and maps that they don't want to waste.
We'll just have to see.
love,
THO

The Paizo guys are fairly active over at Enworld so Ive created a thread asking where going to see it in dragon before their licence runs out

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  13:55:39  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ed & THO

In the most non-specific way possible, will the WotC online incarnation of Dragon and Dungeon provide more opportunities for Realms content or less? Do you two view this as a positive move, or a negative one?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  17:29:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Does Faerun have Nor-Easters storms? Has the Shade tampered weather extremes created any unusual type of weather effects of this magnitude anywhere? And more importantly have the druids who reside in regions affected thus and learned it was created unnaturally used their powers to try and re-balance the areas they have sworn to protect? Do druids now have a certain enimty for beings capable of causing such widespread or long term damage to nature and are figuring how to address this?
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  08:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
Ahoy, Ed & THO.

I was thinking about the recently-mentioned notion of Vecna extending his influence to Faerûn, as well as the Wizards Three, when this occurred to me... the "current" events in the Realms and in other settings (like Greyhawk) aren't always happening at the same time, are they?

Some time ago, I read an article called "A Temporal Chronology of the Primes" (http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/chronology.htm) which used Ravenloft as a means of determining how the timelines of Greyhawk, Dragonlance, the Forgotten Realms, and Dark Sun would compare to one another (by matching up the date a given character entered Ravenloft using the Barovian calender, with the date given for that same event using the character's home setting's calender).

Using that timeline, some events that "occurred" at roughly the same time in the real world (like the War of the Lance and the Time of Troubles) end up occurring almost coterminously in-game as well... however, some settings have advanced more quickly than others since then (like Dragonlance "skipping ahead" a generation when they introduced the children of the Heroes of the Lance).

Using that timeline, Vecna's ascension (from a demigod to a true deity) wouldn't happen until sometime after 1396 DR. Even the defeat of the Circle of Eight at Vecna's hands wouldn't occur until 1378 DR... yet (as I'm sure you recall from your vantage point in the armour ) Elminster and Mordenkainen discussed that very event during the first meeting of the Wizards Three (DRAGON #188).

Did their meetings take place in the future (relative to the published Realms)? Is there some time travel involved when traveling between worlds (perhaps Mystra shunts visitors "from the future" to the "current time")? Or is that timeline wrong (perhaps due to time flowing oddly in Ravenloft)?

I'm sorry if this is nitpicking; I'm just curious as to how you'd make events from different settings "fit in" with one another. While Wizards of the Coast may not be too keen on cross-setting stuff anymore (with the decline of Planescape and Spelljammer, and the introduction of the new Realms cosmology), I always enjoyed the Wizards Three articles.

(It's too bad they never met Raistlin, though. )
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  21:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Ed, I'm running the Crusade against the Tuigan, and the reading of a book called Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton raises this question: how non-evil, non-chaotic armies supply themselves when travelling great distances in Faerun?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 24 Apr 2007 22:00:40
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  23:49:47  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Flour and salted meat would probably be standard provisions from what I've read in novels at least above ground, although definition of great distances is probably key factor.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  03:26:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed apologies for falling briefly silent. Finishing his taxes coincided with a conflab about a future novel (someone else’s) and last-minute editing questions on no less than THREE Realms-related projects, and SOMEthing had to give.

Taelohn, your temporal queries are extremely er, timely (no, I’m not trying to make a lame joke, I’m noting that Ed was dealing with just that matter yestereve, for reasons that can’t yet be discussed. However, he’ll be happy to answer your queries as soon as he’s free to.

WalkerNinja, I’m afraid neither Ed nor I can answer your question about “the two Ds” ceasing print publication under the Paizo banner, right now. For one thing, we can’t weigh its positives and negatives properly, yet. By now, one of the other secrets we knew has become public (the non-renewal of the Dragonlance license), but certain other things we’re privy to, and watching for (which will be indicators of which way things are likely to turn out), haven’t happened yet. Ed really doesn’t think it’s appropriate for him to say anything (other than to remind folks at Wizards that he’s still officially a Creative Editor of DRAGON, after all these years, and he still has a “life subscription” to DRAGON and is still alive, though the life of the magazine might now be considered to be in question). Let me just say that Alaundo is right to have dark misgivings on these matters.

Jamallo Kreen, you’re very welcome, and I’ll reply to you on behalf of Ed, to this: “now tell us about who has killed which gods in your home campaign!” Answer: no one has killed a god (that we know about, at least). One party of PC adventurers (the Crazed Venturers) fought Iyachtu Xvim, and some of us (PCs) have had personal dealings with Mystra and Azuth and Mielikki (in Florin’s case, QUITE personal ), but . . . no slayings. It’s just not that sort of campaign.

Wenin, as far as I know, Candlekeep scribes have never yet asked a question on this thread and its annual predecessors that Ed and/or we players and/or TSR/WotC designers hasn’t at least considered at some time beforehand. However, on at least a dozen occasions, questions have been asked for which Ed hadn’t yet crafted any Realmslore, so he sat right down and wrote some, for replies here (no, we’re not going to say which ones; that’s part of bolstering the “illusion of shared reality”). And yes, I have it on good authority (his long-suffering wife, who gets to hear the snores) that Ed sleeps; sometimes for as long as five-and-a-bit hours a night. Garen Thal is right, though: he IS the hardest worker in fantasy writing and game designing I know, bar none. And yes, he believes there’s no such thing as “too much detail.” Individual gamers can (and should feel free to) ignore all the details they don’t want, but if you’re paying for Realms products and you want that detail, Ed feels there should be some way to give it to you, in a timely manner.

Speaking of which, Ed DOES have some Realmslore to impart, this time regarding this recent query from Kuje: “Ed, do any of the races know of, or use, circumcision? If you would, also answer if there are any races/nations/etc that operate on female genitalia.... I phrased that as gently as I could think of.”
The Sage expressed his interest in hearing Ed’s reply, and Eytan Bernstein then echoed: “I apologize in advance to the squeamish.
Believe it or not, I was searching for something like this earlier today. But when you type in circumcision and "the Realms" or "initiation rites" and the Realms (or any number of other permutations) in google, you get all sorts of strange results, none of which really shed any light on things. I was mainly interested in the sorts of initiation rites performed by different cultures. There's no reason to believe that such things are prevalent, but I would like to hear what Ed has to say.
On the same note, I have a faint recollection of reading about some sort of - how should I put it - sterilization ceremony in one of Elaine's Councilors and Kings novels. Is there any precedent for sterilization, eunuchs, castration, or similar processes, whether magical or surgical? See what kind of can we've opened up here?”
and Zandilar posted: “Heya, Heh... This is interesting stuff I have to say. I'd be interested in reading answers to these questions too.
However, I must say, in such a magic rich world I sincerely doubt that such proceedures would be performed wholely surgically... Magic can achieve a lot of things, and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that most small towns or even primitive tribes might have a cleric, adept, or shaman that can use 0 or 1st level divine spells. That means access to Cure Minor Wounds (useful for stopping bleeding), and Cure Light Wounds (for more substantial injuries, like during actual casteration or sustained during an initiation rite) - if not an actual spell or minor magical ritual to circumcise, castrate, or even spay/neuter animals.
From a personal point of view, the circumcision of women is a horrific concept, and not just because I'm a woman. It's used for control. It kills most sexual sensations (by destroying the nerves in sensitive places), and thus is generally used (in combination with sewing them mostly closed) to ensure that women in those tribes/regions don't stray from their men. There is no other reason for it, it serves no other purpose (and it isn't uncommon for women to die as a direct or indirect result). The Realms being a much more gender equal place than Earth, I doubt female circumcision really has a place. (Though I can stand to be corrected, if there are exceptions or if I'm just plain wrong.)”
Dargoth then directed Eytan to Ed’s earlier posts (archived by Kuje): “you should find some stuff on Princess Alusair of Cormyr which mentions magical sterilization”
Ed now speaks:

Thanks, all. In the Realms, sterilization is usually accomplished magically (which has the benefit of usually being reversible, so you can let a young prince/princess or other heir/heiress “have fun” without causing unwanted bastards), or (in rural areas) by cutting out the male testes and then cauterizing the wound, sometimes as an clerical rite (either with magical or herbal pain-deadening, or not), and sometimes to create the equivalent of “eunuch harem guards” (BTW, these are as rare in the Realms as they were in real life, and as in real life, the penis is seldom removed except as a cruel punishment).
Certain priesthoods (Loviatar, for example) do use piercings, brandings, scarifications, and other ritual practices that embrace pain (salt put into wounds, for example), but aside from piercings, the female genitalia are left alone. A priestess of Loviatar wants to continue to have the ability to feel pain, not have sensation cut off forever (and her genitalia are likely to be whipped - - often with stinging nettles - - in rituals, or endure the wax of melting candles carried in a manner you can guess at, NOT be permanently scarred). There’s no cultural basis in Faerûn for female circumcision.
The basis for all such behaviour in the Realms is religious or (more rarely) locally cultural, NOT racial.
Some priesthoods cut off foreskins or introduce beads under the skin all over the male member, or even pierce the member (to hold dangling talismans normally hidden except in holy inner temple rituals). These may be isolated sects, or only practiced in some temples, or among “secret societies” of zealots within a faith - - and in any event usually mark the achievement of a certain holy rank, or augmentations (yes, more talismans) as ranks increase.
Among the Netherese diaspora there were all sorts of “odd” beliefs (held or just suggested by the various archwizards) that have since become further twisted by time and misunderstandings, into purely local practices (often coming-of-age rituals, which can be as tame as vigils or forest chases, and as severe as ceremonial deflowerings, brandings, or circumcisions.
In short, there’s nothing shameful or “disgusting” about tattoos, or brands (except obvious slave or “this person is a traitor” brands) or piercings (nipple, ear, labial, etc.) but they are more uncommon than common across Faerûn. Remember, in a polytheistic world, especially in locales (ports and capitals) where trade-travel is frequent, tolerance of “different ways” is high; the real-world small-town repression and disdain for “those who are different” is far rarer in the Realms. Having multiple races (not just humans with different skin colours) and “everybody knowing all the gods are real, not just one” will cause that, inevitably.
So, Eytan, if you need a priesthood (or a ruling noble family, or a secret society or cult) to have a circumcision ritual, feel free to add it. However, there has to be a reason why not every reader of Realms novels and game products doesn’t already know about it. In other words, it’s likely to be secretive (or at least done within a faith), and locally-based, not something that applies all across a country or continent. (I’m reminded of the old real-world joke about the village that only had one sharp knife, so the boys had to line up about half a year before they came of age . . . )

So saith Ed. Who is trying to be helpful without being TOO explicit. He didn’t tell you about the priestesses of Loviatar with the frontal triangle of chains joining their, er, prominent bits, or some of the other sights that certainly made Torm of the Knights open his eyes wide and make inevitable comments . . .
Ahem. love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  03:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
One thing to say about those Loviater worshippers (Loviathans? haha), they're pretty brave
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  03:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Just seen Victor_Ograygors thread and seems they're called Loviatans. I still think Loviathan was funnier :) *mutters to self*
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  04:13:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
As usual Ed, my thanks.

Oh, on another note: People over on ENworld say they have received their copies of Castlemourn. I forgot to mention it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  04:25:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Just seen Victor_Ograygors thread and seems they're called Loviatans. I still think Loviathan was funnier :) *mutters to self*

You could always use the term "Lovites", which is considered an older title used among the clergy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Apr 2007 04:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  05:38:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Wenin, as far as I know, Candlekeep scribes have never yet asked a question on this thread and its annual predecessors that Ed and/or we players and/or TSR/WotC designers hasn’t at least considered at some time beforehand.

Hmmm, that sounds like a challenge, to me...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  11:35:17  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
Actually, I'd be happy to never introduce any of these lovely rituals into my work. I was asking more out of personal curiosity and am quite relieved to here that such things are not quite as widespread as they are in our world (if I'm reading this right). It's strange, but sometimes it's nice to know that a few things aren't in the Realms, or at least, aren't that important. I don't mind initiation hunting rituals, coming of age quests, and other such things, but forcible mutilation of children leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It only serves to renew the cycle of violence.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  19:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

Ed, tell us, if you will, what the polite forms of address are in various lands for those who are openly bedded, but not wedded. For instance (and I use feminine forms solely because European languages are geared towards considering a female participant in a love {or sex} relationaship as subordinate to a male): how does one introduce one's acknowledged mistress if one is known to be married to another person? How does one refer to one's live-in bed-partner and/or "significant other" if there's no likelihood that a marriage will ever occur (think Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, happily unmarried for about three decades now, or Laeral and Khelben after the Crown of Horns business)? How does one address a social superior (or equal's) concubine (or anyone else who's more than a chit for the night and less than a claimant to community property)? Also important to Mistress Manners is: how are these various combinations addressed and referenced as a couple when they are not being presented separately? "The Lord and Lady Mages of Waterdeep" is pretty obvious, as would be "The Lord Mage Khelben and the Lady Mage Laeral," but there is surely some phraseology more polite than, "Her Royal Majesty, the Simbul of Aglarond ... and boy toy."

Ed, inquiringly polite minds want to know!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  19:37:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring Ed’s answer to Jamallo Kreen’s query: “Ed, I'm running the Crusade against the Tuigan, and the reading of a book called Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton raises this question: how non-evil, non-chaotic armies supply themselves when travelling great distances in Faerun?”
Ed replies:

Buy food along the route, paying well. Take routes where mounts and beasts of burden can graze (remember, most land in the Realms is unfenced). Prepare beforehand by making or purchasing literally tons of rice and barley, flour, barrels of salt-cured meat or smoked meats packed in oil, sausage, handwheels of cheese, similarly-sized rolls of hardbread, and watery ale.
Everything from sausage onward in that list becomes “trail-gnaw” food for cold meals, eaten while walking. The moving army habitually sends out scouts, but also bands of woodcutters to get firewood, water-finders with buckets and wagons of casks, and archers (to find game).
At the heart of the army, surrounded by its armed warriors, are the wagons of provisions but also herds of purchased oxen, sheep, goats, and horses (some of whom can double as mounts or draft animals); some of these are butchered and roasted at every “more than a night” camp.
The marching army eats many stews of rice and barley flavored with gravies and “found” meat.
At every place they conquer, they seize food stores (and spices, and everyone’s beasts, of the sorts listed above) as “spoils of war” (in the Realms, this practice is generally considered neither evil nor chaotic, even if the conquerors strip the larders so that surviving citizenry will face starvation in the winter ahead; rather, it’s thought of as “just war,” and the citizens had better start walking to lands where temples of the same faith are, who will feed them [and give them seeds, the TRUE treasure of most Faerûnian temples] in return for their labour, until they can return in spring to sew their lands again).

So saith Ed, the Clausewitz and Sun Tzu of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  20:40:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Yeah what he said
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  23:09:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
BTW, all, Ed tells me he's VERY impressed with the work of divers scribes (many of them Candlekeep regulars) and editors regarding the Grand History book. Expect it to be SUPERB; Ed does.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. This time I bring Ed’s answer to Jamallo Kreen’s query: “Ed, I'm running the Crusade against the Tuigan, and the reading of a book called Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton raises this question: how non-evil, non-chaotic armies supply themselves when travelling great distances in Faerun?”
Ed replies:

(snip)

So saith Ed, the Clausewitz and Sun Tzu of the Realms.
love to all,
THO

Rice stews? Wouldn't have thought of that! I'm currently using early modern statistics for bread made from grain and transported in standard D&D wagons (I don't have the number at hand, but it requires A LOT of wagons, each of which requires its own team of horses or oxen, which require wagonsfull of fodder of their own). Speaking of cartage, when big armies move, do they prefer to use oxen (slow, but strong) or horses (faster, but weaker and big eaters); either are, of course, edible at the end of the trail, when the army's size has been reduced somewhat!

In travelling from the Sword Coast to Cormyr, about how many days supplies would a small army carry with it at one time? We know (from reading this scroll) that inns or waystations occur about every thirty miles or so along the caravan routes, but (as readers of George R.R. Martin's Saga of Fire and Ice know), small inns are immediately overwhelmed just serving the officer corps of moving armies, let alone hundreds or thousands of troopers. Not every little hamlet is going to have a "Mother" Tabra on hand to keep an army in line, so I rather think that most of them are just financially (if not physically) ruined by an army's arrival; is this the case?

I'm glad to hear that the rules of engagement in Faerun take into consideration looting as a standard occurence, and beg to refer readers interested in such to Mongoose Publishing's The Free Companies, by Vincent Darlage, for their Conan RPG, for detailed rules for looting, based upon the relative mind-set of an army, depending upon their nationality (civilized versus barbarian, Aquilonian versus Stygian, that sort of thing), which is very easily applied to the Realms.

Apropos of seed banks, is it a common practice for evil armies (or strike forces from evil faiths) to attack temple seed supplies before an army's arrival (or during its departure), thus guaranteeing additional strife, with the possible added bonus of a famine or an epidemic after the army departs?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
The recent discovery of a fossilized rain forest in Pennsylvania prompts this question: since coal is used in the Realms, where did it come from, considering that the Days of Thunder were only about 35,000 years ago? Is it a case of <shudder> "special creation?"

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  20:42:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, scribes of the Realms.
This time I bring you Ed’s answer to AlorinDawn, re. this: “Recently my gnomish bard and his companions came upon a very ancient treasure hoard. The DM told us we found 25 8 inch tall carved wooden figures of elven heroes which my bard was able to deduce were from some period of the Crown Wars in near perfect shape. In addition we located a magically preserved scroll hoard which provided information on each figure and his/her place in elven history. We also found a small music box of intricate design from the same time period. Can you provide some idea of what value these items might bring if sold in Waterdeep?
Thanks”
Ed replies:

As with all sales, prices depend on demand and scarcity. These items are PROBABLY unique, in “today’s market,” and therefore very scarce, and therefore valuable to someone who doesn’t think of them merely as some whittled wooden toy figures. Any Waterdhavian shopkeeper seeking to buy them will of course pretend they aren’t valuable, unless their eagerness to acquire is so strong as to overcome their (usually) well-honed acting skills. Sages and elves will place a higher value on them than non-sages and non-elves, so the most true answer is “whatever a particular buyer is willing to pay,” and the most appropriate answer is a price range from almost nothing up to the highest price you could expect to get, which is to a very wealthy elf who would prefer not to steal or extort them (i.e. not Elaith).
And that “highest price” would probably be (and I am assuming these figures are non-magical and not in themselves items that entitle the owner to something else by virtue of possessing them; i.e. they are not title to ownership of a castle or lands or noble rank): either 16,000 gp per figurine if sold separately (that is, one figure and its scroll); or 9,000 gp per figurine without the scroll (the scrolls by themselves would only be 600 gp at most); or for the complete set of figures and scrolls, 700,000 gp. If there’s no bidding war (in other words, private negotiations with a single buyer), that top price is going to be around 600,000 instead.
If these must be sold in a hurry, or not to the most eager buyer, the scrolls would fetch 400 gp at most, figurines without scrolls 900 gp, figurines with scrolls 1200 gp, and the complete set 22,000 gp.

So saith Ed. A driving force behind inflation in at least two worlds. :}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:15:37  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Wow, thanks you for the quick and detailed answer, even before my next game session. Glimish Rocktapper will indeed eat, sleep, and live well and play the best musical instrument coin can buy in Waterdeep for a long time to come.

In modern terms "Cha-Ching"!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:57:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring you the words of Ed once more, re. Taelohn’s post: “Ahoy, Ed & THO.
I was thinking about the recently-mentioned notion of Vecna extending his influence to Faerûn, as well as the Wizards Three, when this occurred to me... the "current" events in the Realms and in other settings (like Greyhawk) aren't always happening at the same time, are they?
Some time ago, I read an article called "A Temporal Chronology of the Primes" (http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/chronology.htm) which used Ravenloft as a means of determining how the timelines of Greyhawk, Dragonlance, the Forgotten Realms, and Dark Sun would compare to one another (by matching up the date a given character entered Ravenloft using the Barovian calender, with the date given for that same event using the character's home setting's calender).
Using that timeline, some events that "occurred" at roughly the same time in the real world (like the War of the Lance and the Time of Troubles) end up occurring almost coterminously in-game as well... however, some settings have advanced more quickly than others since then (like Dragonlance "skipping ahead" a generation when they introduced the children of the Heroes of the Lance).
Using that timeline, Vecna's ascension (from a demigod to a true deity) wouldn't happen until sometime after 1396 DR. Even the defeat of the Circle of Eight at Vecna's hands wouldn't occur until 1378 DR... yet (as I'm sure you recall from your vantage point in the armour ) Elminster and Mordenkainen discussed that very event during the first meeting of the Wizards Three (DRAGON #188).
Did their meetings take place in the future (relative to the published Realms)? Is there some time travel involved when traveling between worlds (perhaps Mystra shunts visitors "from the future" to the "current time")? Or is that timeline wrong (perhaps due to time flowing oddly in Ravenloft)?
I'm sorry if this is nitpicking; I'm just curious as to how you'd make events from different settings "fit in" with one another. While Wizards of the Coast may not be too keen on cross-setting stuff anymore (with the decline of Planescape and Spelljammer, and the introduction of the new Realms cosmology), I always enjoyed the Wizards Three articles.
(It's too bad they never met Raistlin, though. )”
Ed replies:

Oh, they met Raistlin several times. And some Raistlin impostors, too. ;}
Nor are the Wizards Three finished emptying my larder and wine cellar just yet. However, that fascinating Temporal Chronology piece, though a great spur to the imagination of DMs who read it, happens to be wrong in its datings, because (yes) time DOES flow unreliably in Ravenloft (it doesn’t even move at the same rate from place to place among the domains and mists, let alone being consistent when compared to other places).
I’m sure some Ravenloft authorities may disagree, but to them I reply: I was privy to an in-house TSR design meeting, back when Ravenloft was being launched as a setting (expanded from the original Castle Ravenloft module), at which this very element or characteristic was discussed and agreed upon. So, no matter what different hands Ravenloft may have passed through since, and different viewpoints on this particular matter that may or may not have been expressed or published or accepted as Ravenloft canon, my Realms agreement means that the original relationship decided-upon between Ravenloft and the Realms remains unchanged until there’s an “inside-the-Realms explanation” for any change published. (I.e. not a real-world “Designer X decided this, and it supercedes earlier published products” reason, but a “All across Toril, due to the work of God Y or Fluffy Bunny Z on the Weave or Manshoon’s left nostril or the risen sands of Anauroch, Great Change A happened” justification (however flimsy).
I, too, enjoyed the Wizards Three very much. Even as, with the passing years and my expanding girth, that suit of armour got to be a tighter and tighter fit. :}

So saith Ed. Esteemed lurker inside suits of armour for decades, now.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000