Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Iakhovas
Acolyte

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  07:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Iakhovas's Homepage Send Iakhovas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Iakhovas, I understand your hunger for lore, but Ed has actually covered much of the coinage you ask about, here at the Keep. Follow the link Kuje has helpfully provided, and there's quite an impressive list already provided. Coinage, like matters of the gods, seems to be something Candle-bearing scribes can't get enough of, and keep asking about.

love,
THO

Hah, so I'm not the only one obsessed with coinage. I did follow Kuje's link (thanks again, Kuje!) and got much from it... unfortunately, not all that I wanted. See, I'm so demanding.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  10:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
Dear Mr. Greenwood and THO once more,

Excluding the ever-present threat of NDA, what has Yandrin Thorl, the mage of the Highdale mentioned by Volo, and the Pegasus Archery Company been up to recently? I've been poking around, but I haven't dug up any lore on them beyond the basics.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  11:13:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Iakhovas

Another question. I heard a rumor that Elmister's tower is destroyed. How did THAT happen? Last I read about Elminster in Elminster's Daughter, he and his tower were both hale and unscathed. If this is canon, please refer me to the FR accesory or novel that details this.

Thanks.

It's in the upcoming Shadowdale module.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/955697200

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Apr 2007 11:15:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  11:18:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

'Disturbing', 'Distasteful', 'Disgusting'. I'm no doctor, but it seems pretty clear that you've come down with a bad case of ...

"Homophobia is the fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals. It can also mean hatred, hostility, or disapproval of homosexual people, sexual behavior, or cultures, and is generally used to insinuate bigotry. The term homophobic means "prejudiced against homosexual people," and a person who is homophobic is a homophobe."
- Wikipedia

And by the way, starting a sentence with "I wouldn't call myself a prude, but ..." says clearly that you most likely are a prude.

I don't come here to be exposed to people's irrational hatred of each other. So if you wouldn't mind sticking to asking questions about Realms lore, I'd really appreciate it.

- RJ

We really don't need this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And disliking an emphasis on something is not the same as having an irrational hatred of it.

Let's keep this thread for its intended purpose: getting all sorts of juicy tidbits from the creator of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Iakhovas
Acolyte

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  11:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Iakhovas's Homepage Send Iakhovas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

'Disturbing', 'Distasteful', 'Disgusting'. I'm no doctor, but it seems pretty clear that you've come down with a bad case of ...

"Homophobia is the fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals. It can also mean hatred, hostility, or disapproval of homosexual people, sexual behavior, or cultures, and is generally used to insinuate bigotry. The term homophobic means "prejudiced against homosexual people," and a person who is homophobic is a homophobe."
- Wikipedia

And by the way, starting a sentence with "I wouldn't call myself a prude, but ..." says clearly that you most likely are a prude.

I don't come here to be exposed to people's irrational hatred of each other. So if you wouldn't mind sticking to asking questions about Realms lore, I'd really appreciate it.

- RJ

I'm no doctor either, but I do know I DON'T have a bad case of homophobia, and I resent your calling me one or labeling me one simply because of my disdain of portraying Eilistraeean clerics as mostly lesbian or sexually prolific characters. Evidently, you have misread the meaning of my post, and based on your aggressive reply, I won't bother to explain myself to you. However, it is your prerogative to draw false conclusions.

Be that as it may, I post here not only to ask Ed about Realmslore, but also to comment on other things especially when it pertains to whatever he has said.

And the only "irrational hatred" I gather here is from you ... so far. Anyway, I am not here to discuss or debate with you. With regards to that particular post of mine, I'm only interested in what Ed has to say , if he deems it worth replying to.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  16:11:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Iakhovas, RevJest... as Wooly noted earlier, this is hardly the place for such discussions.

As it is, this scroll is purely for questions addressed to Ed. If you want to discuss specific replies with other Candlekeep scribes, I would suggest either taking them to another part of the forum and opening a new scroll or, in the case of the present discussion, taking it to PMs.

I'm not being critical of either of your positions on this, though such discussions have usually displayed a trend toward severe off-topicness. We mods like to keep Ed's scroll clean and tidy -- just for the questions and their replies.

Please take note of that and move on.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Apr 2007 16:13:42
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  17:04:26  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed,

As I have said prior I will be attending Pentacon this year and wonder if you might find a few moments to do a short Realmsian "workshop"? As your time is in high demand I will of course understand if you cannot.

What I suggest goes along with one of my recent question about making place A seem different than place B. My proposal is that someone picks an inn or tavern from some random place and we do a small 5 or 10 minute roll play scenario with you as the NPC barkeep to get the local flavor of which ever place or region is selected. We can come up with some static "green adventurer looking for local legends or adventure hot-spots" scenario to give each go a similar focus.

Thanks for all the time you spend here with us.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 19 Apr 2007 17:05:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  19:48:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Iakhovas, I sent your post off to Ed for his reply, being as you addressed him directly in it. Here’s what he just sent back:

Iakhovas, the “trend” in the Realms you object to simply doesn’t exist. Or to put it another way: the elements you find distasteful have been there from the beginning. The Realms is a big, hyper-detailed world, and I and others have put LOTS of things in it. From detailed insects, clothing dyes and poisons, to oaths and changing fashions and ever-evolving customs and fads.
When speaking about the Realms, I have always adopted the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC approach: to stand back and dispassionately discuss everything. In the threads here at Candlekeep, I do so in response to questions.
As a designer, I put EVERYTHING in, for one overriding reason: in any roleplaying game, DMs need to understand WHY NPCs think and act as they do, so they can extrapolate what a given NPC will do in any situation that play goes in (as no published game material can possibly have space enough to cover all possibilities, and some DMs will want to use NPCs as continuing characters in a campaign, and so will need “aims, life goals, and attitudes” information).
Sexual needs and attitudes can be a big part of why NPCs act as they do: many quests, slayings, feuds, and PC adventurer hirings are rooted in love, unrequited love, the desire to impress or attract attention from someone desired, or to make amends, and so on.
The editors always take all sorts of material out of the lore material I provide, usually for space reasons more than anything else. But in the same way as 3rd Edition designers are required to “show their math work” to the editor (when working out character stat blocks), I have to show WHY characters think as they do, act as they do, and have the aims they do. It’s simply part of good roleplaying.
However, the sexual aspects of the Realms, except in the most overarching aspects (there was a conflict between Lancelot and Arthur over Guinevere because. . .), don’t need to be in everyone’s Realms roleplaying. At all. It’s purely a matter of personal choice.
In this thread, though, through the good offices of The Hooded One, I provide answers to specific questions posed by scribes, limited by my field of expertise (ask me how to invest in the stock market? Sorry, not competent) and by NDAs. To limit my responses, or for you or anyone to try to limit the scope of questions asked, is to try to take away the choices of others.
And that dismays and disgusts ME. If you don’t like the topic being asked about, or the answer, please just ignore it or don’t read it. You are certainly under no obligation to include the lore I provide here in your campaign.
If you attend GenCon seminars, you will know that although I often delve into topics some judge “lewd,” I do so always IN RESPONSE TO AUDIENCE QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS.
Some scribes want to know more, for whatever reasons. Sometimes in ways that puzzle me or go far beyond what I think is necessary for MY roleplaying (why does this god like this colour, or that herb or shoes or particular sort of vole? . . . As mortals, your characters can never know why; the god just does, that’s all). Yet I try to answer everyone.
Your games may neither include nor need mention of homosexuality or bisexuality; that’s fine. However, other scribes have interests of their own that carry the exact same weight of legitimacy as yours. You’ve recently asked a question about coinage in this thread; please be aware that I once had a brief and friendly argument with a TSR designer who said of my currency details, “Out with all that crXp! The game has gold pieces in the rules, and that should be good enough! Why all this totally unnecessary detail? It’s all just space-wasting crXp! Give me more monsters!”
(And as an aside: the design of a newly-created monster [and I’ve created more monsters for the game than anyone else] should ALWAYS include sexual details, so the life cycle can be understood: does it give live birth, or lay eggs? What stats and powers do the hatchlings or young possess? Do they have a market value, or are they edible? What does the beast’s lair, or egg nest, look like? Do they dwell in mated pairs, or mate and then separate [so are adventuring PCs who kill a female going to be hunted down by the lovelorn male, or did the female drive him away long ago]? This lore need not always appear in the published monster entry, but the company designers have to know it, so as to answer Sage Advice questions or to develop newer versions of the monster, later.)
All gamers feel different wants and have different needs, and I try to cater to all. In this case, a scribe asked a specific question, asking for clarification about an earlier reply of mine. If that request had not been made, I would not have delved further into the topic, PRECISELY because it makes some scribes uncomfortable.
For the record - - as specifically stated in the very post of mine you quoted - - I also do not find that “most Eilistraeean clerics” are sexually prolific. I do find that a large number of them, like a majority of clerics of all faiths and genders, have no steady partners: they devote themselves to the god and the faith, and the fellowship of various other clergy, rather than to life with one partner. Nor did I say that “most” Eilistraeean clerics are lesbians; I simply pointed out their strong presence as a factor, in response to a specific question. In this case, sexual ACCEPTANCE (not necessarily practices onstage, in anyone’s game) within Eilistraee’s clergy is important for roleplaying: it allows everyone to understand what’s going to be accepted, and what is not, and therefore how to roleplay characters who happen to be members of Eilistraee’s clergy. It warns a DM that a given female cleric of Eilistraee is going to have a lot of other females who care what happens to her, and may well attack PCs or others who mess with her.
The “dancing naked” aspect you find ridiculous is actually there because, long ago, a TSR editor requested it be, so a TSR artist could paint the picture he wanted to paint (that in the end, did not get used, although I believe it was sold privately to someone who presumably likes to look at art of nude dancing drow women). As for those “voluptuous beautiful women swinging great or bastard swords in chainmail bikinis sans the freakish muscles that would usually come with it” you mention, yes, I do believe I’ve seen rather a lot of those sorts of paintings, on the covers of a considerable number of fantasy games and novels... :}
As a freelancer, at the time of the dancing naked request, my job was not to dispute with those I was working with; my job was to incorporate. The design that results is of course shaped by that inclusion, because my overarching goal is always to make the Realms seem realistic, so that its systems “work,” or at least give the feel of doing so.
In the early days of TSR publishing the Realms, most matters sexual were taboo (a DRAGON staffer once vetoed an article of mine because he didn’t want me to mention that in some versions of the Arthurian legend, Lancelot and Guinevere were “lovers;” that one word was too strong for him, but had to be there as the [only mention of the] reason for the schism between them, breakup of the Round Table, etc.).
More recently in the history of the published Realms, more and more sexual details have been published (though please note that explicit sexuality has been there from early on: one of Bob Salvatore’s early drow novels, HOMELAND, ends with the female “valedictorian” of the graduating priestesses summoning and having sexual relations with a creature from the lower planes, which is much “stronger” than anything I’ve ever written). I’m guessing - - and this is merely my speculation, not anything I know of company policy - - that the boundaries are continually pushed in attempts to appeal to new potential audiences (e.g. lesbians, male homosexuals) by including elements they can identify with.
Again, this is merely a guess. I don’t - - and have never - - controlled the direction, focus, and breadth of the published Realms. I don’t even control what is printed and what gets cut in novels and game products that have my name on them (check the legal matter at the front of them, and you’ll note that they’re copyrighted by the company, not by me).
What I do, and have always done, is provide more Realmslore to gamers, readers, and other fans of the Realms. I do it here at Candlekeep by answering questions, as fully as I can. So if someone asks about matters sexual in the Realms, I WILL discuss said matters.
However, I’m not rebuking or disagreeing with you. Of COURSE many people find sexual elements disagreeable, in a variety of ways, and whenever someone dislikes what they see in a Realms product, and says so, we take note. I will pass this reaction of yours on to the relevant folks at Wizards - - because this is a service industry, or should be: we want to provide what fans want. That’s how sales go up, for the publisher: what’s being published gets continually refined and re-aimed or re-configured, to appeal to the widest audience. Whose tastes are always evolving.
THO and I both like to flirt, but neither of us has, so far as I know, been promiscuous since shortly after the 1960s (ooh, hey: yes, Woodstock! No, not in the Realms :}). Yes, that means we’re both “old” by the standards of many scribes. Yet we actually do think about a lot of other things besides sex. Really. Just ask us about other things, and we’ll talk about other things. Er, mainly. :}
Okay?

So saith Ed.
I, however, LOVE to talk about sex. And not just talk . . .
Ahem. Complaint accepted, Iakhovas; air cleared? Let us know, okay?
Ed will return with a Realmslore reply as usual, in six hours or so. AlorinDawn, that workshop idea of yours sounds great. Why don’t you suggest it to Lisa Adams, of Pentacon?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  22:57:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
With that out of the way and this recent debate leads into something I've been wondering about for awhile now. :)

Ed, do any of the races know of, or use, circumcision? If you would, also answer if there are any races/nations/etc that operate on female genitalia.... I phrased that as gently as I could think of.

Before someone has a fit, I'll give warning. I don't want to hear it. I discussed this with a mod before I posted it and that mod is also interested in hearing what Ed has to say. And I'm in a even worse mood after hearing about Dragon/Dungeon, so I don't want to read anyones problems with my topic. Thanks.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Apr 2007 01:32:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  00:38:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, Ed's most recent reply will help me to craft my own reply to a similar debate that's been raging elsewhere -- mainly about lore, setting details and how important they are for portions of the Realms-fan community.

And I was the mod Kuje discussed this with, so yes, I'm just as curious about this as he is. Let's actually hear what Ed has to say before we start to criticise the validity of such a question.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  01:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
For what it's worth, I'm interested too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  01:40:12  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Ed/THO: hey, I *am* a prude, a heterosexual married meat-and-potato guy one at that, but boy do I love lesbians! more lesbians!!!! lesbian-lesbian-lesbian-lesbian-lesbian-lesbian-lesbian-lesbian!!!!! Man oh man! I believe I even like the word itself!!!

Please pass that on to the "relevant folks at Wizards" too ok?

Disclaimer: I *did* originate from La Belle Province where every town with at least 1,500 souls *does* have a "rippers' joint"... AND *have* been exposed to many a "girl-on-girl" features, as early as age 17... (I know, they used to call me "the late bloomer" back then... )

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 20 Apr 2007 01:42:27
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  02:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
I wholeheartedly agree with PDK!!

On a slightly sadder note, have both you and Ed heard the news about Dragon magazine yet, THO? What are your feelings on it?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  02:11:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, PDK!
I've BEEN in some of those joints you refer to. A little too much "eons of cigarette smoke" for my tastes, but . . .
Ahem.
Hi again, scribes!
This time, I present the first half of Ed’s swift reply to Blueblade’s request for Realmslore: “I'm looking for some local tax collectors and police/Watch for Marsember; names and ranks of a handful of guys and gals who'd operate at street level, actually going into shops to say, "Hey, you haven't paid, so pay up."“
Ed replies:

Ah, I love these sorts of queries. No heavy-duty stats, just the roleplaying stuff, okay? In general, consider these F4s at most (the Watch) and F1s with some sort of accountancy prestige class (the tax bailiffs). So here, from my DM notes, are a few handy characters.

Watch: As with Arabel, the other “oft-rebel city,” most patrols are currently Purple Dragons, with one or two retired Purple Dragons (old but still hale locals who “know everyone in Marsember”) and one or two young Purple Dragons in training. As a result, the Watch in Marsember now uses Purple Dragon ranks. The lionar and swordcaptain wouldn’t be along on normal street patrols or bailiff visits, unless armed resistance was expected (if two patrols were mustered, the swordcaptain would probably accompany both as a commander; the lionar would be who everybody reports to (and angry citizens who want to complain would be brought to), and would only appear on the streets on a violent-confrontation-followup “restore the peace” visit, with more Watch patrol reinforcements, or coordinating a chase.
Here are a few names and descriptions:

Lionar: Saraera Delhand (LN hf F4): short, thin (bony; when unclad, her ribs can be clearly counted), never seen in Marsember out of uniform; her blonde hair is almost white; quiet, thin-lipped, apt to sound bitter or sarcastic; is lonely and a stickler for rules, precise adherence to the law, and order; she’d rather educate citizens as to their precise obligations the first time, and arrest or fine only later (values order over heavy-handedness; most citizens rightly consider her “stern but fair”). Her guilty pleasures (practiced only in private) include eating chocolate, bathing in warmed milk, reading lurid “hot-bottom” (soft porn) romance chapbooks; loves to dance and wear fine gowns, but dare not allow herself to do so in Marsember (takes annual vacation to Suzail, and there dances in the more expensive clubs and at nobles’ and Court events). Procuring the chocolate, milk, and chapbooks will be done when concealed in an ankle-length robe, with hood up, by night.

Swordcaptain: Beldran Velhikho (LN hm F4): a tall, ruggedly handsome, close-mouthed brawler who prefers to punish on the spot (often with a clout across the head or a boot up the backside, plus enforced “criminal provides restitution to victim,” plus warning: Do it again, or try to steal it back when we leave, and you’ll get worse the next time); favourite saying: “I break fingers, mind.” Large head, larger shoulders, brown hair and eyes, jaw and nose have both been broken but look all right; large and hairy hands; patient (apt to be amused if punched or slapped, not swiftly angry); street-wise and often calms angry subordinates, playing “soft cop” with citizens to get their agreement or to trick them into admissions of guilt.

First Sword:
1. Raskran Telstone (LN half-em F3): stone-faced, hard-eyed (icy blue hue), fair-haired, slender and agile fop; has his uniforms tailored, always wears clouts of the finest make beneath, and sports hidden knives sheathed at his wrists and the back of his neck (in addition to the usual inside-left-boot and belt daggers most Purple Dragons carry); is secretly contemptuous of many of the “lowcods” uneducated, grasping poor of Marsember, whom he has called “thieving weasels” in unguarded moments, but is careful not to speak out about, these days; always suspicious and looking for the worst in people (and so is seldom disappointed or caught unawares by swindles or tricks or illicit angles); has worked hard to really get to know Marsember, and is considered a very shrewd officer as a result; respected (and trusted) but not liked by those who work under and over him; his secret vice is crossdressing, and he has eagerly taken several successful assignments in feminine disguise over the years; his hobby is watching (and betting on) mud-wrestling fights (between two nude or barely-clad females, sometimes blindfolded) put on in certain dockside taverns or cellar rooms in Marsember, but such gambling isn’t against the rules and he never gambles more than he can afford to lose.

2. Kurlarra Stornsword (NG hf F3): fat, unlovely (“face like a barn door, if a cow had decided it was a barn door,” as one colleague once unkindly but accurately put it), red-faced, large-limbed (big thighs and shoulders, large hands), stolid and very patient officer. Not bright, but very methodical, forgets nothing, and keeps copious and careful written records, often catching crooks or uncovering schemes by noticing discrepancies and following coin trails. Loved by those who work with her, because she’s always patient, is never more impolite than rare flat refusals or moments or sarcasm, always does the right thing, and is quick to send reinforcements or sense when someone needs help and just silently “being there” without a lot of fanfare or pointing out shortcomings. Plods through life getting things done, but secretly dreams of being flirted with and taken dancing or out feasting by someone gallant, who will see past her homely looks and show her a little tenderness. Currently having a torrid secret affair with a crooked halfling fence of stolen goods (and is overlooking his business and “short” tax payments) because (behind barred as well as locked doors) he shows her tenderness, caressing her and giving her footrubs and backrubs.

Telsword:
1. Garlth Breakstag (LN hm F2): Balding, aging man with startlingly black busy eyebrows, who fancies himself dashing and gallant. Has a tiny sword-scar on his chin (which is usually blue with stubble), and strokes it often to draw attention to it as he smiles “winningly” at “the ladies and low lasses,” cocking his head to one side to show his profile. Wears oversized codpieces, strikes poses, and likes to murmur about recalling this or that time he “regrettably” had to slay this or that monster. Despite this frankly ridiulous posing, Breakstag is a good, observant officer who never makes serious passes (though he won’t remove his hands if a deceived lass lands in them, either), isn’t embittered by rejection (to him, this is all entertainment; “just blowing a warhorn at the passing parade of life”), and keeps morale high among those who work with him in the Watch and the local citizens who regard him as free entertainment. He’s amused at jokes played on him and jests at his expense, not angered, and more strangers trust him than almost any other Watch officer, and confide in him or surrender to him where they’d defy, lie to, or flee from, other members of the Watch. Breakstag is nearing retirement, and dreams of buying a small house in Suzail and setting up a brothel (he doesn’t want to wallow in female flesh every night; instead, he wants to have a family of beautiful women around him whom he can cook and sew for, who will flirt with him, bring him their troubles, and parade around unclad in his presence). He expects to spend years “finding the right girls” and setting up his establishment - - and dare not breathe a word of his dream to anyone in the Watch.

2. Dornan Tarszil (NG hm F2): Tall, thin, awkward, loping; a blazingly fast runner when he needs to be, with a soft and almost feminine face, long brown hair, big blue eyes, and copious body hair everywhere. A nervous, second-guessing-himself Watch officer who says little because of his insecurity, but is turning into an effective lawkeeper because he checks things over several times (both his own work and corroborating the stories of witnesses and suspects). Restless, seldom able to keep still for long, tends to prop himself against handy walls or doorframes and lean on them, watching and listening (if working with other Watch members, likes them to do the talking while he “sees all”). Is seldom caught unawares because he’s CONSTANTLY peering all around, looking behind himself, and wondering who might be approaching or overhearing (better check!). Notices EVERYTHING (this is the guy who spots half a footprint in mud half a block away, a tuft of hair or fabric caught on something high up or low down, and so on). Dreams of rising in rank and power, and being allowed to make laws and plan investments and the building of things in Marsember, so as to be “noticed” at Court and maybe one day being given a position at Court in Suzail, able to rub shoulders with nobles and important courtiers, and Do Important Things. He will NEVER break a rule or doing something imprudent, however, to try to further his dreams; rather, he tries to be the perfect Watch officer and just silently hopes recognition comes his way. (Even making what he sees as a minor error in judgement makes him feel ill.)

Blade:
1. Taera Hahlor (NG hf F1): plump, lush-figured, sleepy-eyed, and drawling, Hahlor (“HAL-lor”) acts bored, cynical, and nonchalant - - but it’s just that: an act, intended to lull citizens into thinking she doesn’t notice much and cares even less. If there was chewing gum in the Realms, she’d chew it. As it is, she chews tobacco (unlit cigars if she can get them) constantly, leans against walls whenever possible, slouches, and strolls. Underneath, she misses nothing and cares deeply for her fellow Watch officers (she’s the one most likely to notice an unfolding ambush or approaching trouble, and also the one who will spot when a fellow Watch officer is troubled, or overtired, or slightly tipsy, or in pain and trying to hide it. She is intensely loyal to the Watch, and will put that loyalty above upholding the law or keeping order or doing what’s good for Marsember. She has in the past had numerous affairs with various Watch officers of both genders, and has the knack of remaining friends with ex-lovers and making peace between Watch officers who have disputes with each other; as a result, she is trusted and supported by all Watch officers familiar with her (which is why only high-ranking Purple Dragons newly arrived in Marsember would even think of finding fault with her sleepy-seeming, lazy-looking ways; everyone else knows better). Hahlor is the person who knows what a Watch officer needs, and quietly arrives at their elbow to provide it; she’s the comforter of the grieving, the friend to those nauseated by their first wound or wounding, or seeing their frist messy corpse. It’s what she lives for. She’s clumsy with her sword and not as swift or agile as she once was; with a polearm of any sort she’s a trip-friends disaster.

2. Dorskar Haundur (NG hm F1): Dorskar is the stereotypical tall, strong, silent, big nose-bigger moustache grim-faced, stony-gray-eyes Watch officer; the “sentinel of stone who won’t break, and has a grip like unyielding iron.” Slow-witted but knows it, and is patient, trusts his fellow Watch officers and is happy to obey them diligently; doesn’t feel cold or wet, and is endless patient. Citizens who struggle and hit him, he’ll shrug and ignore, just holding onto them until told to treat them differently. Dorskar is NOT stupid, he’s just slow in his thinking, and prefers to let those (whome he trusts) who think more quickly, tell him what to do. “Others give orders; me, I do things.”

3. Saramistra Dunwynd (LN hf F1): Small, dark, pert, impish, and stunningly beautiful, with huge emerald green eyes, raven-black hair, exquisite curves, and a small, yielding “kiss me” mouth, Saramistra is probably the prettiest Watch officer AND Purple Dragon in all Cormyr, rolled into one. She knows it, and has been dealing with her looks since childhood; she’s been raped several times (and dealt with it, reaching a state of calm “it happened, but was no fault of mine, and I have come to understand and forgive” inner acceptance), become a consummate actress (so she can speak and walk like a man or a macho male halfling when she wants to, or act like a helpless fluttering female or a lost-in-lust young noble or high-coin lass, and so on), and is ALWAYS acutely aware of the effect she’s having on people around her (she’s watching their faces, speech, and actions constantly, as much as possible without seeming to). If she thinks her looks will distract on a given patrol, she’s been known to don a padded breastplate that makes her look fat rather than having a bosom, and cover most of her face with a wrap of bandages. She has also undertaken Watch missions “undercover” (sometimes “undercovers”) in various disguises, and regards such escapades as her chief calling and entertainment. She secretly dreams of impressing a high-ranking courtier with her work (and perhaps her looks, but she’d prefer that it be her work), and being “discovered” as an asset to the Dragon Throne, to serve the Court in Suzail as a courtesan escorting and hosting visiting dignitaries or nobles coming to Court - - perhaps as a Highknight (in other words, she doesn’t see such a “high life” as a end in itself, but as a way of gathering information for Cormyr, and serving the Realm as a spy and diplomat of sorts, and so becoming important and valued and “in the know”).

4. Harsakh Jorlarn (LN hm F1): Blessed with a forgettable face whose expressions he controls with an iron-hard grip, Jorlarn has a “thin-line-of-whisker” moustache, thin reddish-brown hair, hazel eyes, and a calm, dignified (“English butler out of the movies”) manner - - no matter what he might be feeling inwardly, or how out of breath he might be from chasing someone for blocks and then tackling them. He is careful to be correct and proper in his conduct, always follows rules, and is judged “distant but reliable” by his Watch colleagues. A poor swordsman of average build, with a distaste for threatening anyone or rough-housing, Jorlarn would probably be happier as a courtier, but has clawed his way up this far from dire orphaned poverty in the dregs of Marsember, and isn’t going to let anyone or anything stand in the way of his keeping his position in the Watch (or perhaps rising higher in the Watch or among the Dragons). Where Taera Hahlor might well do murder to protect her fellow Watch officers, Harsakh Jorlarn would calmly do murder to protect his own standing (e.g. disposing of a witness to a bad mistake on his part). To him, Cormyr is worth fighting and dying for because it is a land where someone like him can achieve what he has achieved by Doing The Right Thing, and rising on merit; anything that threatens this, also threatens all that is right and worthy in Cormyr - - so he will deal with that threat so as to defend Cormyr, by extension the only beacon of hope in the Realms that life affords better things for the lowly.

5. Brornar Elnauth (LN hm F1): A scarred, weatherbeaten-looking veteran who says little, hides behind a grim manner, and Does What Has To Be Done. He knows Marsember back to front, top to bottom, and inside out, and has been walking its shady ways for nigh half a century. He is deeply tired of Watch duty, but knows what’s necessary in any situation almost instinctively - - and when most crimes are discovered, knows who’s most likely to be responsible. As a result, he’s very seldom caught unprepared (nor “flat-footed”), and is very effective in street brawls, preventing escapes, or pouncing on fugitives who think they’ve managed to slip away. He’s fallen hopelessly in love with Taera Hahlor and in lust with Saramistra Dunwynd, and will put their safety ahead of his own, and supporting them ahead of the Watch, without hesitation. Of the two, he aches for Saramistra but feels someshat ashamed at himself for doing so, and wants to retire and live with Taera but doesn’t for the life of him know how to tell her his feelings (which he correctly thinks she senses but doesn’t know what to do about, and has thus far avoided thinking about). He drinks heavily (when off-duty), but is one of those rare people who doesn’t seem affected by drink at all (never “drunk,” his judgement and coordination remain unaffected, and so on). He has quietly been investing in buildings all over Marsember for years, and his wealth (and influence as a landlord) would utterly astonish his Watch superiors and colleagues if they ever learned of it.

6. Norskel Saerntavor (LN hm F1): Young, “green,” and very dedicated, and therefore constantly alert and careful to be attentive to his orders, the law, and his social duty as a Dragon and as a member of the Watch. Leaps to obey, is anxious to please his superiors, and tries to keep his mouth shut except to confirm commands sent to him, and to keep his face as expressionless as possible when on duty (he usually fails; almost always having an anxious look). Norskel is tall, broad-shouldered, and black-haired, with blue eyes, a rather chinless face that he tries to make up for by wearing “daggerpoint” sideburns that thrust forward along his jaw, and large, firmly-gripping hands. His voice is low and authoritative, but usually respectful. His secret vices are sweet confections and small, cuddly pets; he collects litters of kittens and lives with them until they become larger cats, whereupon he takes them to Jester’s Green (or farther afield) and releases them to hunt in the wild, and starts looking for more kittens. Norskel wants to be a good officer, but will always prefer to follow the orders of a strong leader. He’s longing to take to wife a capable, commanding woman who holds a superior rank in the Watch or Dragons, and settle down to be happy obeying her. He hasn’t found anyone suitable yet, and isn’t pining or desperate to do so; he simply has come to realize what he wants, and is starting to look for it.

So saith Ed. Who’ll send details of the tax collectors (a smaller handful of characters, I’m told) tomorrow.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Apr 2007 02:17:41
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  02:26:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Uzzy,
I've known about this only since the official announcement, but Ed has known about it a LITTLE longer. He can't, however, speak freely about it, except to say that it has NOTHING to do with declining sales of the physical versions of the magazines. It was a Wizards decision not to renew the license, not a Paizo decision. So it's NOT because D&D is less popular.
I realize that I'm tossing a half-hearted tidbit, when all gamers deserve to know much more. Ed can't say more, so let me just offer my lament: I've been reading DRAGON regularly since the early 40s (in issues), and read Ed's copies back through The Strategic Review, and by Mystra, Wee Jas and Takhisis, I'll miss it. Electronic goodies are no substitute at all for a print magazine you can hold in your hands every month - - and you can't leave a webpage lying around at bustops and airports and public libraries for complete newbies to find and gasp at and join the hobby.
So, we'll all just have to wait and see. Give Paizo a chance with Pathfinder, and give Wizards a chance with the website stuff. I wonder if Ed's lifetime subscription to DRAGON means he'll get free access to its website replacement? I'm betting not . . .

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  03:34:24  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

OMG OMG Dragon and Dungeon gone............man, don't that beat all. this news has made me run about my house like the little screaming kid from the Mel Brooks movie Robinhood: Men in Tights

Anyhoo. Lesee....more lesbians is good

I will contact Lisa Adams and see what we can start in motion. (I'm new to the con thing, I've only been to one in 24 years of gaming, which I spent trying to get my roommate to stop picking on the "geeks" that reminded me waaaaaay too much of Ogre from the Revenge of Nerds movie. I actually hope to have fun at this one =).

Now the actual reason I'm posting this chaotic missive. Ed the watchmen/bailiffs descriptions was GREAT...man what role-playing goodness there is there. Thanks! Could you please do the same with a few NPC watchmen, Zhentish spies, agents, and interesting personas you might have laying around from Loudwater or any other little places in the lower Delimbiyr? Did I mention more lesbians?

Thanks

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 20 Apr 2007 03:35:31
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  03:41:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:

Uzzy,
I've known about this only since the official announcement, but Ed has known about it a LITTLE longer. He can't, however, speak freely about it, except to say that it has NOTHING to do with declining sales of the physical versions of the magazines. It was a Wizards decision not to renew the license, not a Paizo decision. So it's NOT because D&D is less popular.
I realize that I'm tossing a half-hearted tidbit, when all gamers deserve to know much more. Ed can't say more, so let me just offer my lament: I've been reading DRAGON regularly since the early 40s (in issues), and read Ed's copies back through The Strategic Review, and by Mystra, Wee Jas and Takhisis, I'll miss it. Electronic goodies are no substitute at all for a print magazine you can hold in your hands every month - - and you can't leave a webpage lying around at bustops and airports and public libraries for complete newbies to find and gasp at and join the hobby.
So, we'll all just have to wait and see. Give Paizo a chance with Pathfinder, and give Wizards a chance with the website stuff. I wonder if Ed's lifetime subscription to DRAGON means he'll get free access to its website replacement? I'm betting not . . .

love,
THO

My dear lady, you must indeed have strong feelings on this to swear by cross planar goddesses! Its good to hear something, even if its a bit short of "full disclosure." This whole day since the announcement has been a bit of a disconnect from reality.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  07:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Uzzy,

love,
THO

Do you know whether Eds long awaited 2nd Cities of Faerun will make it into print before Dragons shut down?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 20 Apr 2007 07:57:47
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  08:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Let me join the chorus and call for more lesbians and bisexual women! (And please, don't neglect the gays and bisexual men as well, even though that isn't my thing at all. If anything there seems to be an imbalance towards the queer girls, but that maybe because I'm only looking in their direction. )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  09:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

Let me add my admiration for the details of the Marsember Watch! Two questions today (greedy I know!):

Firstly: along similar lines, does Ed have any details of members of the Sword of Deepingdale, the Tower Guard and/or folks who make up the Tower Household?

Secondly: I don’t know if Ed is at all familiar with the countryside of Northumberland (England) and the Anglo-Scottish Borders (i.e. rolling hill country, moorland, many rivers, dense forest in places and a great number of old abandoned castle and holds) but, if so, where he would say (if anywhere) is anything like comparable in Faerun?

Not bothered about stats but, again, just roleplaying details. Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  15:39:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Dargoth, I don't know if we'll see the Teziir writeup in the last few issues of the physical DRAGON, and neither does Ed. It's a larger city (more map) than Crimmor, and would take even more space, so that would be a factor against printing it. On the other hand, the staff at Paizo has had it since April 2006 (the text, since February 2006; it took Ed longer to do the maps and graphics, both street graffiti and banners of businesses), so they may have commissioned illos and maps that they don't want to waste.
We'll just have to see.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Apr 2007 20:30:08
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  18:09:16  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed/THO,

An email has been sent to Lisa Adams. I will keep you informed as soon as I get a response.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  18:47:54  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
A few quick questions about magical weapons and other items.

1) Are there a weapon property that acts like the bane ability but with reguard to religious patron instead of creature type? An Infidel Weapon Property, perhaps?

2) I have got interested in some of the ideas from the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion expansion pack called Shivering Isles that deal with the theme of madness like bipolar disorder (The land is divided in two with Mania being and right world and Dementia being the darker world).

One thing they have is a sword called Dawnfang that changes to a different blade call Duskfang between dusk and dawn. The former is like a flaming weapon, the latter is a frost weapon. Both gain powers from killing foes.

Are there weapons, armour or magical items that change their nature depending on selected situation. Like gain different powers depending on the Sex/Race/Class/Type of user, season, time of day, religious patron or other circumstances.

Well, those were on my mind. Answer them when you can. I hope it causes Realmanics to think about the possiblities. Thanks again.

Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  19:26:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Are there weapons, armour or magical items that change their nature depending on selected situation. Like gain different powers depending on the Sex/Race/Class/Type of user, season, time of day, religious patron or other circumstances.

There's at least one in published Realmslore... It's called Moonblaze, and is wielded by Lady Vajra Valmeyjar; Royal Warlord; Duchess of Ankaram, Regent Royal for Princess Cyriana. It's described in the Tethyr book of the Lands of Intrigue boxed set, pages 78-9. The boxed set itself is one of the many freebies available from the Wizards downloads page.

quote:
Moonblaze: Vajra's long sword was a simple well-made blade from Brian the Swordmaster of Waterdeep, but it was enchanted by the goddess Selûne herself to aid Vajra in a battle against a tanar'ri. In the dozen years since then, Vajra has christened the blade Moonblaze and defined its powers. The blade generates a magical cold flame (affects foes despite immunities to cold or fire), which deals double damage against Shar's worshipers and triple damage against extraplanar creatures (not native to Faerûn). The flames wax and wane with the cycle of the moon's light, generating from a bare flicker equal to candlelight to a roaring blue-white flame as bright as daylight. The flames and the power of the blade alter as per the phases of the moon:

Moon Phase       Hits Targets as /Initiative Bonus
New              Silver weapon/-1 initiative
Quarter          +1 silver weapon/-2 initiative
Half             +2 silver weapon/-3 initiative
Three-quarter    +3 silver weapon/-4 initiative
Full             +4 silver weapon/-5 initiative

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Apr 2007 19:28:23
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  21:44:08  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I had an idea of a Blade sacred to Tyche having a mind split after her division, become a dual persona blade. One persona would be a blade sacred to Tymora that would have the bane effect against worshippers of Beshaba, the other persona would be sacred to Beshaba and have the bane effect against worshippers of Tymora.

Just a thought in relationship to my question.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  00:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tormtar

Hi THO and Ed,

Let me add my admiration for the details of the Marsember Watch!

Agreed, those details were amazing. I liked the bit about the one who likes caring for kittens. Thanks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  01:50:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A pleasure, Rinonalyrna Fathomlin! But Ed's not done yet!
(But wait! There's more!)
This time, I present the second half of Ed’s swift reply to Blueblade’s request for Realmslore: “I'm looking for some local tax collectors and police/Watch for Marsember; names and ranks of a handful of guys and gals who'd operate at street level, actually going into shops to say, "Hey, you haven't paid, so pay up."”
Ed replies:

Tax Bailiffs: In Marsember, these “trusties” (known as “graspers” or “the squeeze” by the general populace) only operate in public with a full Watch patrol as escort. The underbailiffs do collections and seizures, in streets and shops, the Watch arresting anyone who offers them violence. The Bailiff of the Rolls remains in his office, inside one of the wall-towers (working with various Crown clerks and scribes); the underbailiffs report back to him.

Bailiff of the Rolls: Orgarl Hardiman (LG hm F3/Exp3): Gruff, sarcastic, and cynical, fat old Hardiman is well-known in Marsember, and grudgingly respected for how he does his job about as much as he’s disliked for what he does. He will always give the desperate another tenday to pay, and will patiently listen to their gripes and pleadings, stand them drinks, and suggest ways to pay or cut their costs by dealing with cheaper moneylenders or business partners. Orgarl never forgets a face or an amount owing, and spends much of his day sitting behind a heaped-with-papers desk (he knows EXACTLY where every last document is, in the heaps and elsewhere in his office), keeping meticulous records up to date. He’s fussy, balding, large-headed, and shuffling, with bristling gray-white eyebrows, penetrating green eyes, a beaky nose, and triple chins. He’s a devastating mimic when he wants to be, tends to speak sharply and caustically to those who disagree with him, and seems fearless, simply staring at anyone who threatens him. He is scrupulously honest (something no previous Bailiff of the Rolls in Marsember was thought to be), and welcomes War Wizard peerings into his mind, so they’ll know that and trust in him.
Orgarl lives alone, sometimes visits a select few festhalls to pay the youngest-looking lasses to sit in his lap, kiss him, cuddle or embrace him, or stroke his hair (both of them fully clothed), and never anything more (it’s not sex he’s looking for, it’s feeling wanted; he gets overly lonely). Yet he tends to be suspicious of women who want to befriend him (as he’s been betrayed in love before, long ago but more than once). He’s happy doing his job, and would be happy doing it until he died - - but also wouldn’t mind being promoted to a Court position in Suzail, where he could “clean up and diligently tend” to more records.

Underbailiff: Geldrar Tronstur (LN hm F2/Exp1): Old, tall, weatherbeaten, and sharp-voiced, Geldrar is a veteran of much swordswinging action in the Dragons. Never a good weapon-wielder, he became sickened by the life of a warrior, and crippled by the cumulative pain of many old, ill-healed wounds. Now he limps grimly through life, “reduced” to being a bailiff but determined to do the job correctly and well. He’s a “by the book,” attentive man, who anticipates trouble and is usually ready for it. His well-muscled body is covered with white scars (although his face was spared), and he knows how to be very correct and discreet, giving him a certain attraction among the older widows of Marsember.
Geldrar has no ambitions, and intends to eventually retire to a small cottage in some small upcountry place and live out his last days pursuing his long-held dream: becoming a writer of “hot-bottom” (soft porn) romance chapbooks, the sort written for women and purportedly by women (so not under his own name, of course, though he doesn’t intend to keep what he does secret, just enjoy shocking any fans who seek him out).

Underbailiff: Hornar Shieldson (LE hm F2): Sometimes called “Fangs” or “Master Softthreats” by his fellows, Hornar is the only truly evil “squeeze” in Marsember. Blond and burly, with long sideburns and reddish-brown eyes, he has been at his job for almost a score of years (he started very young) and is very good at it, always alert and usually able to sense falsehoods. He enjoys being menacing, threatening those who offer defiance or claim inability to pay, and doesn’t mind beating the stuffing out of someone who takes a swing at him first. Inflicting pain and breaking bones gives him pleasure, but he does think laws should be strictly followed, and goes after the corrupt with zeal (his alignment does NOT mean he’ll ever cheat the Crown or break rules, only that he’ll not be kindly or forgiving whenever he isn’t ordered to, and will take every opportunity to inflict pain and scare people [not just to win their obedience, but to see and smell their fear]).
As a result, he gets ordered to the fore in dealing with the nastiest non-payers, and so regards himself as the “best” in Marsember at collecting monies owed the Crown. He sees nothing wrong in earning a reputation for cruelty, believing it’s “right” to do so, and saves much time and trouble by cowing the populace into obedience.
Hornar likes inflicting pain in his personal life, too. Never married, he frequents festhalls where he can bind and flog lasses, or force himself on them. However, he’s not interested in maiming them or making them fear him; what excites him is their willingness to submit and “play along” with his behaviour (offering him whips or bindings to use on them, for example). Hornar likes being alone (“making his own way in life,” as he puts it) and likes his job, but believes he should and will eventually be promoted to replace a retiring Orgarl Hardiman, because his “effectiveness” makes such a result “only right.”

Underbailiff: Jarsorr Windsummer (NG hm F1): Young, handsome, blond and brown-eyed, this swift-tempered young Arabellan has often been described as “dashing.” He can run blindingly fast, spends most evenings “wenching” his way around the taverns and clubs (successfully, and has the knack of keeping as friends most of the maids he beds), and is glib-tongued and persuasive. He seems to have a knack for “smelling” falsehoods and deceits, and is careful to conduct himself properly when in uniform.
By night, “Jarr” adopts open-fronted tunics, colourful sashes, and “drop-front” leather breeches with swashbuckling fashion-designed seaboots and a gleaming-hilted sword (that hilt is of intricately-fashioned silver; a rapier with a hand-basket of curling, sweeping wire) that he’s only drawn thrice, in all his life. He’d not dream of being seen around the taverns in his duty uniform. He can be very charming and gallant, and truly enjoys the company of women of all ages and appearances, not just those willing to yield their charms to him - - which in turn makes him “good company” in the eyes of most tavernmasters and serving-wenches (the latter accept his occasional slaps and caresses cheerfully, as he never pinches and will accept “no” for an answer; and will even defend them against drunkards who won’t, without thought of claiming a “reward” for doing so). Windsummer is restless, but not necessarily ambitious; he’s searching for some direction in his life, but hasn’t yet found it, and isn’t prepared to do anything drastic in his seeking; he’s just drifting along being a good underbailiff and not worrying how many years he spends doing so.

Underbailiff: Mulkyn Ansrarl (LN hm F1): A huge, burly, monster-shouldered man who looks more like a tall woodstove than a human, Mulkyn has a huge, toad-like head, warts, a low and gravelly voice, and a great tolerance for pain. His hands are larger than most human heads, and he is very strong; he has been known to tear hasps with locks and chains still attached, right out of stout wooden doors. He is calm, obedient to orders, and very calm and slow to lose his temper. Mulkyn obeys his orders, but is neither stupid nor slow to act, and can’t be tricked into letting a miscreant past by clever talk pointing out gaps in the logic of his orders, or seeking to distract him; he will take hold of the miscreant and simply not let go. He always goes armed, with a visible belt-dagger, but another up his sleeve, and a slender mace down one of his boots. He is utterly fearless; threatening him with a spell-blast or undead attack won’t sway him from obeying orders. He can duck, dart, and sprint much more swiftly than his looks lead most people to think. In short, he’s the perfect underbailiff.
He’s content in his job, never thinks of what the future might hold, and isn’t ambitious. He has a secret weakness for sweets and buying and playing with small toys (miniature warriors, model ships, and the like), and lives alone in a very modest attic apartment. He seems utterly uninterested in sex, and deals with everyone not in the Dragons or the Watch as equals, not caring what their age, gender, or race is.

So saith Ed. Who’s now neck-deep in taxes, and doing much weary sighing.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  20:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO,

OMG OMG Dragon and Dungeon gone............man, don't that beat all. this news has made me run about my house like the little screaming kid from the Mel Brooks movie Robinhood: Men in Tights

'Twas Corbin Allred.

This computer went wonky when I last used it, so I'm not sure if my expression of gratitude to Ed was successfully passed on: thanks for your detailed answer on god-slaying, Ed ... now tell us about who has killed which gods in your home campaign!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  00:17:14  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

With that out of the way and this recent debate leads into something I've been wondering about for awhile now. :)

Ed, do any of the races know of, or use, circumcision? If you would, also answer if there are any races/nations/etc that operate on female genitalia.... I phrased that as gently as I could think of.

Before someone has a fit, I'll give warning. I don't want to hear it. I discussed this with a mod before I posted it and that mod is also interested in hearing what Ed has to say. And I'm in a even worse mood after hearing about Dragon/Dungeon, so I don't want to read anyones problems with my topic. Thanks.

I apologize in advance to the squeamish.

Believe it or not, I was searching for something like this earlier today. But when you type in circumcision and "the Realms" or "initiation rites" and the Realms (or any number of other permutations) in google, you get all sorts of strange results, none of which really shed any light on things. I was mainly interested in the sorts of initiation rites performed by different cultures. There's no reason to believe that such things are prevalent, but I would like to hear what Ed has to say.

On the same note, I have a faint recollection of reading about some sort of - how should I put it - sterilization ceremony in one of Elaine's Councilors and Kings novels. Is there any precendent for sterilization, eunuchs, castration, or similar processes, whether magical or surgical?

See what kind of can we've opened up here?

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 22 Apr 2007 00:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  01:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein
On the same note, I have a faint recollection of reading about some sort of - how should I put it - sterilization ceremony in one of Elaine's Councilors and Kings novels. Is there any precendent for sterilization, eunuchs, castration, or similar processes, whether magical or surgical?

See what kind of can we've opened up here?

Heh... This is interesting stuff I have to say. I'd be interested in reading answers to these questions too.

However, I must say, in such a magic rich world I sincerely doubt that such proceedures would be performed wholely surgically... Magic can achieve a lot of things, and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that most small towns or even primitive tribes might have a cleric, adept, or shaman that can use 0 or 1st level divine spells. That means access to Cure Minor Wounds (useful for stopping bleeding), and Cure Light Wounds (for more substantial injuries, like during actual casteration or sustained during an initiation rite) - if not an actual spell or minor magical ritual to circumcise, castrate, or even spay/neuter animals.

From a personal point of view, the circumcision of women is a horrific concept, and not just because I'm a woman. It's used for control. It kills most sexual sensations (by destroying the nerves in sensitive places), and thus is generally used (in combination with sewing them mostly closed) to ensure that women in those tribes/regions don't stray from their men. There is no other reason for it, it serves no other purpose (and it isn't uncommon for women to die as a direct or indirect result). The Realms being a much more gender equal place than Earth, I doubt female circumcision really has a place. (Though I can stand to be corrected, if there are exceptions or if I'm just plain wrong.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 22 Apr 2007 01:47:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000