Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  00:31:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'm not sure how much Ed is "cleared" to say about this trilogy right now, but if you surf to:

http://www.solarisbooks.com/books/dark-lord/dark-lord.asp

. . . you can read a little about DARK LORD, the first book (due out September 07), vital stats:
hardcover, ISBN 13: 978-1-84416-519-3 and ISBN 10:
1-84416-519-1
I know Ed has turned in the final draft of the MS.
Elsewhere on this same site, there's a press release announcing the purchase of the entire trilogy.
I'll see what additional info I can careXXX ah, cajole out of Ed.
love to all,
THO
Thank you, my Lady.

Hmmmm... Sep. '07. That may just be in time for the Lady K's birthday -- enough reason for her to receive Dark Lord as a gift and for me to then snatch it away and read it first!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Apr 2007 00:33:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:00:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, you'll have quite a choice of Ed novels, by then:
SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE (Knights 2)
DARK WARRIOR RISING (Niflheim 1, from Tor)
and
DARK LORD (Falconfar 1)
And no, Ed doesn't get to Seattle much. He loves it, and would love to visit Jeff & Kate (Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak) again, plus the rest of his old TSR friends still resident in the shadow of Ranier, but . . . plane flights aren't cheap on a writer's budget, and there's this little matter of time . . .
Speaking of which; hello again, all. This time I bring you Ed’s response to createvmind’s question: “Are there Tar Pits in Faerûn above or below ground?”
The Sage promptly provided lore aid thus: “The Pits of Mystra, in the Helmlands, are above ground. And, as I recall, the tar pit featured in the Moonshae trilogy was above ground as well. Ed will likely have more.”
Indeed Ed does; his reply follows:

There are also above-ground tar pits in Chult, in Veldorn, in the Alamir Mountains bordering the Lake of Steam and on some of the islets in the Lake of Steam, in Ulgarth, and in several other areas well southeast of Ulgarth.
Down in the Underdark, there are tar rivers whenever specific conditions are met on the borders of lava flows (through veins and “tubes”), and “pits” where these rivers flow into or through, but don’t entirely fill, caverns. So although those conditions are only rarely met, that still means thousands of tar pits, most of them quite small, exist (usually several in a small area, such as a string of caverns close to each other, along the line of a “hot rift” or “searflesh flow”).

So saith Ed. Who once coated three Knights of Myth Drannor in tar. We managed to get out of it, but couldn’t move - - until we unbuckled our armor and left it behind. To promptly face attack when nude or near-nude. Certain players took a long time to forgive Ed for THAT one. Particularly the character who faced foes who set her tarry hair on fire.
Making up, after, was fun, though.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:04:41  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
So Ed can't write off a meeting with Jeff and Kate as a business expense to Wizards if they talk about the Realms?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:09:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed can't write anything off to Wizards. He isn't, and never has been, an employee of TSR or Wizards.
He's just a gamer who writes a lot of stuff good enough to get published. As a freelancer, yes, he writes off all the usual, legal things when doing his taxes.
If he didn't, he'd have been in the red right back in 1979.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:17:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Who once coated three Knights of Myth Drannor in tar. We managed to get out of it, but couldn’t move - - until we unbuckled our armor and left it behind. To promptly face attack when nude or near-nude. Certain players took a long time to forgive Ed for THAT one. Particularly the character who faced foes who set her tarry hair on fire.
Making up, after, was fun, though.
love to all,
THO
I can only imagine...

Still, it would've been quite a site -- and quite a find for thrill seekers as well, I would also think... in more ways than one.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Apr 2007 02:18:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:21:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem, yes. :}
Well, Tor has put up some information about Ed's "non-drow" dark elf novel, DARK WARRIOR RISING.
Surf to:

http://www.tor-forge.com/darkwarriorrising

It's a Tor 304-page hardcover,
release date September 18th, 2007
ISBN:978-0-7653-1765-0
(ISBN-10:0-7653-1765-6 )

And I asked Ed a little about it; his answers were very exciting. I "must read" for this lass!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:42:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I read the words "non-drow" and Ed and I think... YES!

September's going to be quite a month for Ed fans.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

And no, Ed doesn't get to Seattle much. He loves it, and would love to visit Jeff & Kate (Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak) again, plus the rest of his old TSR friends still resident in the shadow of Ranier, but . . . plane flights aren't cheap on a writer's budget, and there's this little matter of time . . .

Aye, I hear you, lady. Words well and truly spoken.

If Ed ever does visit, of course, he's cordially invited to a pint with me. And I would be charmed of your company anytime, good THO.

Cheers

P.S. Of course, there's always GenCon '07 as well -- I've made my reservations to attend that particular fest, and I look forward to trying to pry Ed away from his legions of adoring fans for the sake of a drink.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:51:48  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  02:56:22  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message
quote:

He just prepared the budget for the local library board he chairs, and of course continues in the day job, too, and is currently reading "about twelve books a week" for judging the World Fantasy Awards.
Wow!!! That's impressive!

I'm lucky if I can get through just one book a week. Actually, this does raise an interesting question. You say Ed of the Greenwood is reading twelve books a week for the WFA, which I'm assuming is a casual rate for Ed. So, on average, exactly how many books would Ed usually read at the same time?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Iakhovas
Acolyte

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  10:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Iakhovas's Homepage Send Iakhovas a Private Message
Hello Ed,

I've been searching the archives until I got cross-eyed and got a migraine but still didn't find what I was looking for.

I know that you posted somewhere about a number of catch phrases, swear words, greetings, battle cries for Zhents, Cyricists, etc. I really need them to color my DnD campaign. Also if you have any swear words typically used by Red Wizards to give me would be nice.

Also, can you give examples of Faerûnian swear words, sayings, greetings, etc? And the race and/or area where it is often used.

For example: "Dark!" and "Dark and empty!" are used in Sembia. I just got this from the Cale novels. Do you have any other examples?

Again, thanks for any help.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  15:38:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Iakhovas

Hello Ed,

I've been searching the archives until I got cross-eyed and got a migraine but still didn't find what I was looking for.

I know that you posted somewhere about a number of catch phrases, swear words, greetings, battle cries for Zhents, Cyricists, etc. I really need them to color my DnD campaign. Also if you have any swear words typically used by Red Wizards to give me would be nice.

March 25th, 2004 reply. March 26th, 2004 reply. March 28th, 2004 replies. May 14th, 2004 reply. May 17th, 2004 reply. If you need them again, use the index in my sig and do a search/find for curse.

Ed, maybe it's time to supply some more? :) It's been three years. Begs!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Apr 2007 15:39:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  16:14:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks, Kuje.
D-brane, I just asked Ed about your query, and he replied:

On an "average" day, I'll read a daily newspaper, try to finish off any crossword puzzle that's got my wife stumped, and I'll have four new and one "old favourite re-read" on the go, plus a magazine or two. Sometimes (for example, when I'm rushing to a deadline), my reading time will go down, and the on-the-go books will go up in number; once, it rose to fourteen. :}
Right now, I'm doing my taxes, a short story for Wizards and a cat fantasy short story for an anthology, a serial for Game Trade magazine, and a Paths of Doom novel for Castlemourn. Aside from the World Fantasy reading, I'm re-reading Spellbinder (Melanie Rawn) and the latest Dana Stabenow Kate Shugak mystery, and reading Dust (latest Martha Grimes) and an ARC of The 100 Mile Diet by Smith and MacKinnon, which relates their year-long attempt to eat only foodstuffs that traveled less than 100 miles from source to their dinner plates. During the next two weeks, the World Fantasy stuff (which is flooding in) will receive ever-heavier attention (so my meagre reading-now roster will get even slimmer); thereafter, it'll go up again.

So saith Ed. Who will return with more lore replies soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  16:19:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Iakhovas

Hello Ed,

March 25th, 2004 reply. March 26th, 2004 reply. March 28th, 2004 replies. May 14th, 2004 reply. May 17th, 2004 reply. If you need them again, use the index in my sig and do a search/find for curse.

Ed, maybe it's time to supply some more? :) It's been three years. Begs!

Ed's April 12th 2004 reply will also prove useful... being a selection of temple sayings and religious-related "hard swearing" for the faithful of Tempus.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Apr 2007 16:21:35
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  18:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Right now, I'm doing my taxes, a short story for Wizards and a cat fantasy short story for an anthology...

A cat story? Ooooh, please tell us what book that will be in whenever possible. I am a cat lover and I want to read that story.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  00:54:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time Ed responds to a query from Foxhelm, that evoked some replies from other scribes.
Here’s Foxhelm: “I have a question, but I believe that it's NDA, but I still have to ask it.
Is Storm Silverhand truly barren or is it that Mystra is holding back a miracle birth of a powerful child that could change the Realms if born? Or something like that?
Just curious...”
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin then posted: “Obviously I don't have an answer, but I want to mention that I like the idea of Storm being barren. Storm has often been described as "motherly" towards other people--it says a lot of positive things about her that she can be so motherly when she's never had children (and perhaps partly because she has no children of her own?).
That said, I think she could conceive if Mystra wanted her to, but if she already has a maternal role towards the people in her community, then maybe that in itself is fulfilling for her? Plenty of people in real life are infertile, and having someone like Storm being infertile brings a sense of realism to the Realms that I do like.”
And The Sage then posted: “Seven Sisters tells us that Storm is indeed barren -- confirmed by the fact that she was unable to conceive with Maxam, much like during her other earlier dalliances. Whether Mystra has had any direct hand in this, is likely something Ed knows more about. 'Tis also likely that despite Storm's unique case, Mystra may indeed have the final say on whether she can get with child, just as with the other Chosen. We should remember also, that Mystra alone decides whether any of the offspring her Chosen are indeed "allowed" to cause, will display any aptitude for magic or become Chosen themselves. This particular aspect of Mystra's influence could have special meaning in Storm's case.
And while it is interesting to speculate on whether or not Mystra has a hand in preventing Storm from having children [for fears about some potentially powerful Nate Grey-styled offspring being born] consider, rather, that a child from Khelben and Laeral is a child of TWO Chosen, not one and another human/oid. That is a very unique situation and, as I see it, could potentially lead to some rather eyebrow-raising circumstances.”
To all of this, Ed replies:

Storm wasn’t barren at birth, but was damaged during the adventures of her “teenaged” years (actually, of her teens and twenties). As to the precise nature of what happened to her; well, that’s where the NDA comes in for now, I’m afraid. As of “right now, Realmstime” (and over all the time back to that early calamity, which I will go so far as to term a “violation”) Storm can conceive only with divine aid (Mystra, Azuth) - - not just godly approval, but active godly help.
In the matter of approval, she is “controlled” by Mystra in the same way that all Chosen of Mystra are. This restriction doesn’t bother her in the slightest; she enjoys mothering others, as Rinonalyrna Fathomlin pointed out, and she also enjoys being free to do anything sexually without fear of becoming pregnant. Not that she is any sort of sexual predator; I mean, rather, that it’s one more thing she just doesn’t have to worry about.
She’s perfectly content with things as they are, being as she gets to “mother” scores of Harpers - - in the same way many real-world women get to be a mother to many foster children, regardless of whether or not they have (or can have) any of their own.

So saith Ed. Who would love to tell more tales of Storm Silverhand (AND Mirt, and Durnan, and Narnra, and for that matter Narm and Elminster and Elaith, and . . . ). If he ever gets the chance AND the time, of course.

P.S. To Rinonalyrna Fathomlin: Ed can't tell anyone details about his cat tale yet, but I will be sure to post details here as soon as he can. (All he did let slip was: "Can't! Tasslehoff might pull my beard!")
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Apr 2007 01:45:01
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  01:57:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

P.S. To Rinonalyrna Fathomlin: Ed can't tell anyone details about his cat tale yet, but I will be sure to post details here as soon as he can. (All he did let slip was: "Can't! Tasslehoff might pull my beard!")
love to all,
THO
Now, that is interesting... especially when put together with some similarly 'slipped' words about an particular upcoming anthology I was told about last week.

If it's all true, then the results will be fascinating indeed!

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Apr 2007 01:57:43
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  19:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
There's a typo (transposed letters) in the blurb for Ed's Dark Lord novel. I've e-mailed the publishers about it; they are closed for Eostre weekend. I'm sure they'll correct it next week, so they needn't be bombarded with mail about it.

I sincerely hope that they'll vigorously spellcheck Ed's book. I know that publishing a faultless book is nearly impossible (Oxford once posted a fifty pound reward -- back when fifty quid was a bit o' cash! -- for anyone who could find an error in the proofs of a book which they were publishing. Diligently searched by hundreds of Oxford dons, not a single error was found -- until the first copies arrived from the printer, chock full of typos which everyone could see when the text was in book form, but which they'd missed when they read the proof sheets), but I do get irritated at what one would expect a modern computerized spell-checker to find.

On a more Realmsian note, I pose a query to Ed: have there been any attempts at formalizing orthography in Faerun? Are there "harmless drudges" diligently working on dictionaries to mold a "correct" spelling for words (and not however some {other} broadside printer thinks a word "ought" to be spelled)? If so, who are these noble drudges, and do any of them have a Boswell Bard immortalizing their bon mots?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  21:28:44  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,
Hey Ed, I'm curious as to whether "good" or Lawful councils ever "flip" criminals to serve their purpose, informant , thieves to deter other thieves, etc...? Or would it be easier to just "tag" the villian magically/ mundane means and let him/her lead you back to bad guys?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  22:27:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

OK, I'll just wait patiently for more details in the meantime.

Thank you also for the intriguing details about Storm's fertility--makes me wonder what happened to her so long ago...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  03:11:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, well, Ed tells me that's still NDA, I'm afraid. Which of course means either it's too "indelicate" for WotC to ever cover, or Ed still has hopes of telling that tale, somehow and somewhen.
Well met again, all. This time I bring the words of Ed in response to this, from boddynock: “Hello Ed & THO, I just started reading the novel "Elminster in Hell" (I really enjoy reading it) and in that novel is the following sentence:
"He gave Lucifer and Batna the final doom for having that child", Nergal added excitedly. Executing them as Baalzebul, fiercest of Lucifer's foes, watched" ....
My question now goes about the figure Lucifer (and in lesser extend Batna). During their execution it was clear that Lucifer was a prince of hell. But was he always the lesser of Asmodeus or was he the former lord of Baator? In Fiendish Codex 2 they told that Asmodeus was the first and only ruler of hell and Baator was an empty wasteland. In a second edition sourcebook (blood war boxed set) I read about an older race called Baatorians who lived in Baator before Asmodeus came, and if my memory doesn't play tricks with me they told that it was possible that there was an older ruler of hell, before Asmodeus arrival. Thanks for your time.”
Ed replies:

In the Nine Hells (see the original 1st Edition MONSTER MANUAL and my articles in issues 75 and 76 of DRAGON), Baalzebul rules two layers of Hell. Originally, Lucifer ruled one of them, and Batna was his consort. They had a child, Lucifuge, in defiance of the laws decreed by Asmodeus, and he destroyed them both, and their child, for doing so. He then gave Lucifer’s layer to Lucifer’s most hated rival among the archdevils, Baalzebul, as an example to all of the archdevils: defy me in this, and this is what will happen.
This is because the chief threat to the rule of Asmodeus is to shift the balance of power, and the easiest way to do that is to create new archdevils (if archdevils have sex, any resulting children are new archdevils). The archdevils have unique powers, and can only be controlled by other archdevils through coercion / threat or actual physical force, whereas all other devils (greater, lesser, least, and sub- ) can be ruled (transformed; “banished” to the outermost layer; compelled despite their own desires; or “blasted” to nothingness, to reform later as the lowest form of devilish life) at will by any archdevil.
The “outcast devils” that populate the uppermost of the Nine Hells are archdevils not powerful enough to rule a layer; Asmodeus suffers these lesser archdevils (Nergal is one of them) to continue to exist as threats to the archdevils who rule layers of Hell; any one of them can serve as a replacement, or can be aided in an attack on a ruler.
All of this was edited out of my “Hell Revisited” article in DRAGON 91 because these are “Matters Sexual,” and that’s territory TSR did not want to venture into at the time.
In the Realms, Lucifer was always a “prince of Hell” (lesser in power than Asmodeus, who is the supreme administrator / bureaucrat / political dirty-fighter / super-Machiavelli, who has so many contingency plans and preparations up his sleeve that even many archdevils combining against him are doomed to fail [at least, thus far]).
Yes, there was a ruler of the Hells prior to Asmodeus, and there was general agreement among the TSR staff designers and editors of the time (and me, as Realms creator) that we were Never Going To Go There (some people would be offended if we identified that prior ruler as “Satan” or anyone else, or would use our doing so as an excuse to attack D&D).
Because all matters pertaining to Hell have religious meaning to some gamers (and outsiders), we try to tread carefully. There’s a reason to do so, and no reason NOT to (we are, after all, working with a game designed to entertain, not upset).
So in my game articles and sourcebooks I wanted to give a lot of detail about the Nine Hells adventurers might experience “now,” and make a reader of ELMINSTER IN HELL really feel “you are there” in some tiny part of the uppermost plane - - but in both cases only “suggest” the ongoing history of Hell, to make it seem more real.
Most of the other sources you cite (including the name “Baator”) are from later sources, and may or may not pertain to the Nine Hells of the Realms (there was a later split in the cosmologies of the “main” D&D game and the Realms, for reasons I explained to Shemmy - - or tried to, anyway; I may not have done the greatest job - - in another thread here at Candlekeep).
By the way, THO relayed to me some recent discussion about Mystra “making Asmodeus insane” during ELMINSTER IN HELL. Just to clarify: that’s NOT the case. Rather, she managed to cast a powerful magic that acted as a momentary confusion spell, and a long-lasting forget spell, on Asmodeus. (There. That shouldn’t be enough information to really be a spoiler for you, boddynock.)

So saith Ed. Who would rather NOT add “Master Crafter of the Nine Hells” to his resumé (he does have to get through Customs several times a year, after all).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  04:29:19  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Hello All

Eleminster in Myth Drannor
paperback pp337

"A lifequench spell is a potent thing, Starym, but no antimagic shell, however stregnthened, can prevail against a spell shear."

What is a spell shear???
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  04:33:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Thank you also for the intriguing details about Storm's fertility--makes me wonder what happened to her so long ago...

Well, there are bits and pieces of Storm's history. We know that she was a slave for awhile (I.E. years) and, if I recall right, she still bears the marks from being a slave. I.E whip marks and other scars. I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that she might be barren from her time as a slave.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 07 Apr 2007 04:35:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  05:30:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, there are bits and pieces of Storm's history. We know that she was a slave for awhile (I.E. years) and, if I recall right, she still bears the marks from being a slave. I.E whip marks and other scars. I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that she might be barren from her time as a slave.

'Tis an intriguing thought... one that's often mirrored my own thinking on the subject of what caused Storm to become 'barren'. Though, there's still a great deal of "untold history" in Storm's long-ago background. It's entirely possible that her current 'barren' status was the result of injuries she received at another earlier time (during her "teenaged" years as Ed noted previously).

My own thoughts on the subject suggest that Storm perhaps received her injuries during the time whispers about her 'unnatural longevity' started making the rounds. Fear of the unknown may have inadvertedly caused the villagers of one particular locale she was visiting at the time, during her early adventures, to strike out in a perverse form of 'mob justice'. We may not know the events leading up to this, though history has proven that local superstitution and ill-conceived rumors are sometimes enough to motivate the fears of common folk and incite violent reactions to 'unnatural beings.'

For all we know... one dark night, a number of angry lasses in a small locale somewhere in the Heartlands, after having grown increasingly frustrated with their men folk swooning and doting over this "wandering minstrel with the flowing silver hair", concocted a sinister form of revenge centred on the rumors they'd heard about Storm's longevity. Seven Sisters tells us that Storm is usually sensitive enough to be aware of "even the most suppressed reactions" from people around her, though that may not always have been the case. She may have been caught somewhat unaware and was then attacked. In fact, her greater sensitivity may have been initially born from the tragic circumstances of the fear-induced attack I mentioned above.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  15:39:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I am, for some reason, wanting to think that Storm being barren has something to do with some seriously evil dude -- possibly even someone from the Lower Planes, or with a heritage from that area.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  15:58:14  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I am, for some reason, wanting to think that Storm being barren has something to do with some seriously evil dude -- possibly even someone from the Lower Planes, or with a heritage from that area.

Gonna go with Xvim as the villan here in my guess. Just a "gut" feeling.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 07 Apr 2007 15:58:35
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  23:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

MISbehave, Asgetrion?
For Lady Heralds, this is the way we're SUPPOSED to behave! (Just for you, I'm typing this post fetchingly clad in the cords with which I tied myself into the chair. )

*cough* My deepest apologies, Most High Lady Herald! 'Tis just that Alaundo has kept me locked in the cellars of the Keep for so many years that I hardly remember how Heralds should act or... *ahem*... dress! *Asgetrion glances nervously around, waiting to be whacked with the Staff of the Irritated Moderator*

Anyhow, I trust that all Heralds have enough skill ranks or profiency in Use Rope and Escape Artist, so that you have succesfully freed thyself from those binding cords...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  01:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
For all we know... one dark night, a number of angry lasses in a small locale somewhere in the Heartlands, after having grown increasingly frustrated with their men folk swooning and doting over this "wandering minstrel with the flowing silver hair", concocted a sinister form of revenge centred on the rumors they'd heard about Storm's longevity. Seven Sisters tells us that Storm is usually sensitive enough to be aware of "even the most suppressed reactions" from people around her, though that may not always have been the case. She may have been caught somewhat unaware and was then attacked. In fact, her greater sensitivity may have been initially born from the tragic circumstances of the fear-induced attack I mentioned above.

If it's longevity they noticed, Storm would have had to have settled in one place/region for long enough for the locals to have noticed. In her younger years, I doubt Storm would have done that.

Most young women have other kinds of reactions - sadly, anorexia and bullemia are rather common in this day and age. Most young women tend to spread rumours rather than physically attack someone (there are exceptions) - they would be far more likely to incite the menfolk to get up in arms.

In any event, if it was just townsfolk - there are a few very low level spells that would have helped her deal with them. (ie: Sleep and Charm Person) Especially since I doubt they'd have taken her by surprise, mobs aren't exactly quiet, after all... If it was going to be viable at all, the town would have had to have hired adventurers to take care of her, and since we're assuming they didn't like Storm's "strangeness", they probably wouldn't have liked the "strangeness" of adventurers any better. Townsfolk might succeed in running her out of town, but not in doing her any serious injury, IMHO.

Of course it would depend on just how young Storm was at the time, and what she was doing, and what powers she had available to her. In any event, I'm with Kuje in that I think it most likely happened during her slave years.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  01:59:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

If it's longevity they noticed, Storm would have had to have settled in one place/region for long enough for the locals to have noticed. In her younger years, I doubt Storm would have done that.
Well, it's obvious people did begin to notice, since it's referenced in Seven Sisters. So that does suggest that Storm, from time to time, settled in several locales long enough for people to begin to wonder about her longevity and youth over time.

Besides, it's entirely possible that these whispers simply passed through a selection of neighbouring settlements via word-of-mouth [travelling bards and/or merchants] -- sometimes before Storm would even venture to a particular locale. These whispers would be already established by the time Storm arrived at her new destination.

'Tis also possible that the common folk grew weary of Storm's appearance and youth after she'd made repeated visits to her favorite places a number of times over many years. If she's visiting one town, and making friends, then returning to that locale maybe five to ten years later, the friends she'd made during her earlier visit are bound to start wondering just how this "lovely lass with the flowing silver hair" looks exactly like see did the last time she visited.

quote:
In any event, if it was just townsfolk - there are a few very low level spells that would have helped her deal with them. (ie: Sleep and Charm Person) Especially since I doubt they'd have taken her by surprise, mobs aren't exactly quiet, after all... If it was going to be viable at all, the town would have had to have hired adventurers to take care of her, and since we're assuming they didn't like Storm's "strangeness", they probably wouldn't have liked the "strangeness" of adventurers any better. Townsfolk might succeed in running her out of town, but not in doing her any serious injury, IMHO.

Of course it would depend on just how young Storm was at the time, and what she was doing, and what powers she had available to her. In any event, I'm with Kuje in that I think it most likely happened during her slave years.
This is assuming, of course, that Storm possessed the same level of mastery with her special abilities that she displays later in life.

Her "teenaged years" adventures, as Ed has hinted at both here and in official sources, seem full of youthful inexperiences and mostly about Storm learning her place in the world. If that's the case, then the situation I described earlier, may have been something she very likely would've found herself in at one time or another. She's young, inexperienced, and largely uncertain about the ways of the world around her -- the teenage Storm, I think, would've found herself in the occasional 'delicate' situation when leaving the many 'warm beds' of "lowly cottages" and "lord's towers."

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  04:50:50  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message
quote:
Storm wasn’t barren at birth, but was damaged during the adventures of her “teenaged” years (actually, of her teens and twenties). As to the precise nature of what happened to her; well, that’s where the NDA comes in for now, I’m afraid. As of “right now, Realmstime” (and over all the time back to that early calamity, which I will go so far as to term a “violation”)

Hello-

I have added the bold myself, in addition to snip-snipping parts of the post. :)

It seems Ed has stated that it happened in her 'teens & twenties' - referencing this as her "teenaged" years - with the quotes. I take this to mean that she was much like a teenager during the time. Further, he goes so far to term the incident a "violation". I tend to think of this as meaning rape, however with the quotations - it could be something less straightforward. Perhaps some evil mage got wind of her longevity (from these previous rumors and such that may travel even before her from place to place - and is quite obviously referring to the lass with the silver hair) and decided to capture her and experiment on her in order to try and harness this longevity for him-(or her!)self.

Or perhaps she was 'impregnated' by some vile creature or again a mage of dis-repute, who was attempting to create some sort of servitor creature or minion with longevity (or any other power she might be thought to pass on) for thier own use. Perhaps in this case - in some ways - she Has given birth - but was ruined to further births in the process.

In any case - just pure speculation.

I apologise for continuiing this discussion in this thread - we should ask questions here rather than debate. :)

I will add a quick and simple question in an attempt to add to Ed's pile in a way that will be easy to deal with. :)

Where in the general common landmass between the Sea of Fallen Stars and the Sword Coast would be the most remote location - the place where Humans, Elves, Dwarves, etc have never - or most infrequently tread. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000