Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  02:44:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

However, there's a very good chance that he will pop up in Australia this fall. I can't say more at the moment because nothing's settled yet, I'm afraid--but I will keep everyone posted, just as soon as I can.
love,
THO

I'm e-mailing right now!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  08:25:40  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Thanks for the info on publishing, as I am writing a story myself. I guess I'll have to give some things a new look and see what happens.

Oh, how often do they look for fresh ideas and new authors (if you happen to know). Thank you!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  09:15:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
::E-fling::

Ed... as previously discussed, email coming your way!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Feb 2007 09:16:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  09:18:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

However, there's a very good chance that he will pop up in Australia this fall. I can't say more at the moment because nothing's settled yet, I'm afraid--but I will keep everyone posted, just as soon as I can.
love,
THO
Oooh! I love the sound of that.

BTW, my Lady, you're welcome here too. You can even stay with me, there's plenty of room (so long as the Lady K stays over at her sister's apartment ).

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Feb 2007 09:18:58
Go to Top of Page

vajumperdude
Acolyte

Iraq
3 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  09:29:05  Show Profile  Visit vajumperdude's Homepage Send vajumperdude a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. This time, Ed has sent a lightning-swift response to vajumperdude, regarding his unpublished novel:

So saith Ed. Who’s really saying nothing new here, but trying to be helpful and specific. Good luck, vajumperdude!
love,
THO

Thank you very much for your fast reply. I will finish the novel as it is right now, and then go back and modify it as you suggested to fit into my own world. I also have some ideas floating around my head about some short stories and a few non-fantasy fiction, so I think I will have no shortage of stories to tell. Iwill take your advie to heart Mr. Greenwood, and pursue getting published with WOTC (as that is my ultimate goal) in the next few years.

Thanks again
Tom Harris
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  15:40:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Tom, Ed says: you're very welcome, good luck, and get yourself safely back home; the world can never have enough tale-tellers!

Hello once more, fellow scribes! Ed answers Asgetrion this time, re. these questions: “Well met again, most respected Lady Herald and Master Greenwood!
I finally got my copy of the Swords of Eveningstar and I am loving every page of it! Actually, the novel has prompted me to as several questions that (mostly ;) concern religious issues:
1) Do novice priests usually craft their own holy symbols? Doust and Semoor apparently did so, but is this a common practise among the faiths of Faerûn? There is also the reference to Doust having a "blank" disc as a novice, and I was thinking if other faiths have similar customs for junior and senior clergy (i.e. holy symbols lacking certain features to notify your position within the church, and also having some silvered/gilded/jeweled/engraved extra features for senior priests)?
2) Is it possible for a cleric to be "self-educated" (=become a 1st level priest/cleric) on his own, without any official anointment? There is no mention in the novel about Doust or Semoor being "officially" trained by their respective churches. Or are "small/backwoods village" (=places with no major shrines or temples nearby) clerics usually trained by wandering prosetilyzers/clerics who teach them the basics of the faith and how to pray for spells? ("Now that yer basic lessons are over, get ye to the nearest temple and enlist there as a novice. Tell them that Rierdan trained and sent ye. ")
3) Myrkyr of Eveningstar holds the title "Bright Banner" in the novel. Is this a unique title within the Morninglord's faith, or does it exist among other faiths, too? What does this title mean, and are there similar titles among other faiths?
4) Is it possible that the complete 'Haunted Halls of Eveningstar' (as you originally wrote it) would be re-printed in its full (160 pages?) length, now that the novel is out? Ptolus has (hopefully!) shown WoTC that DMs are EAGER to buy giant-sized, detailed campaign settings, and I feel it would be only natural to follow up the Knights novels with appropriate gaming products...”
Ed replies:

1. Novices of many of the less authoritarian faiths often craft their own holy symbols as demonstrations of their devotion to the deity, who will “shape” them as they work on the symbol. (So Bane, Torm, and similarly “strict” faiths would eschew this practice, but Tymora and Lathander would certainly encourage it.)
These symbols are often (so yes, other faiths cleave to this practice, too) simple or “lesser” in some way than the temple-crafted (usually magical, and often of precious metal) symbols that will be given to the novice when they are confirmed or advanced in rank; Doust’s “blank” disc (of the untested novice) is an example of a lesser symbol.
Exalted rank does indeed often involve more elaborate, valuable, and magically-powerful holy symbols. Some senior priests of Silvanus have symbols of rare sorts of symbiotic living plants, growing together, for example; senior clerics of Mystra have elaborate, multiple-power magic items as their holy symbols, often taking a form different from “normal” magic items having similar powers, and usually having one or more powers “keyed” to the individual bearer and accessible only by her or by Mystran clergy of equal or higher rank.

2. Yes, it’s quite possible, through diligent prayer and obedient heeding of visions sent by the deity, for a cleric to be self-educated, theoretically up into 3rd level (thereafter, the god will “treat with” the individual directly, if mortal clergy are lacking).
However, rural believers rarely get to more than 1st level without receiving specific instruction (as opposed to just participating in worship with other lay believers) from local priests, or--just as in the example you give--wandering clerics of the faith who are sent around by the priesthoods in part to give such instruction.
Someone of dedication and promise will eventually, either from such a person or through dream- or altar-vision, be urged to go to a specific temple, shrine, or holy site, and there meet with clerics of the faith who will instruct them further.
These are exceptional cases, of course. Usually someone who feels a “calling” (or just gets visions they can’t understand, or that seem to feature a particular deity) will inform their parents, and village elders or rulers will in turn be consulted, and the “someone” will be sent off, often with a passing caravan, to the temple of the deity for the priests there to decide. As novices are the drudge labourers of every temple and can be made to gather their own food and construct their own shelter, few are turned away unless they are seen as spies or malicious troublemakers.

3. “Bright Banner” is an office (job title) as opposed to a religious rank (level title) in the church of Lathander. It means “envoy” or “spokesperson;” one who’s empowered to speak for the church (usually, that really means his or her own temple; patriarchs of the faith who can decree doctrine are much more exalted in rank, and have the titles to match). “Bright Banner” and close equivalents (such as “Bright Horn” for Tempus and Red Knight, and “Bold Defender” for Torm and Helm) do exist in most other faiths (evil faiths, such as that of Bane, often use the “Mouth of” construction; thus: “Mouth of Bane” and in the olden days, “Mouth of Myrkul;” there were several notoriously energetic and widely-feared holders of this latter title).

4. Possible, but not likely. I would have to find the time to dredge out. type into my computer, and draw new maps for, the complete dungeon AND the entire village of Eveningstar. It would take me about three months that I don’t have, and I could do it only if a quarter of a year were set aside in my schedule for that, which would in turn only happen if WotC asked for such a project, and they haven’t. I would LOVE to, if anyone is reading this who can thrust a product idea through the mill at Wizards and get it put on the schedule. However, I don’t see it happening in the time it would have to happen in, to appear in a timely manner to accompany the Knights books--which are already leaving Eveningstar behind for other locales. Sorry.

So saith Ed. Great questions, Asgetrion; Ed enjoyed them.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  17:36:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello again folks,

Ed how does one determine if an item is cursed in Faerun if the only spell they have available is Identify, I assume the answer is the hard way by donning it. Though I've allowed c of Mystra and the young mage to ramble on about magic this and things going wrong or being corrupted, they have developed a habit of once Identifying item, of donning it if it's useful. They currently came into possesion of a cursed item and I want to make sure if they cast identify they get all relavant info so if they choose to use it then it's on them.

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  19:00:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings Ed and Our Lovely Lady of the Hood, today I bring yet another question regarding Aglarond.
Races of Faerûn gives us the percentages for how many of the various human ethnicities that dwell in the Altumber and Aglarond regions. However, since the Altumbel region (in the 3rd edition sense) wasn't introduced until Unapproachable East, we only have the population figures for Aglarond as a whole - so what I'm wondering is: How large a part of the Aglarondan population dwells in Altumbel? (And while I'm at it: How large a part of the population lives in the Yuirwood? and what is the Half-elf/Human ratio?)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 18 Feb 2007 15:16:45
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  04:01:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed answers Charles Phipps, re. this: “This is a villainous question. Do you see the Zhents growing in power significantly in the coming years now that Bane is back, Manshoon and Fzoul have reconciled their differences (at least to the REAL Manshoon's satisfaction), plus all of the dissenting elements but one small faction have been cleaned out?
How are they going to react to the Red Wizards cutting in on their monopoly of evil merchantalism?
And to be perfectly crass, given recent developments with the Cult of the Dragon, are they going to be taking over there?”
Ed replies:

The “short answer” to these questions, I’m afraid is: NDA to them all. I simply can’t speak fully of the future of the Zhentarim in the published Realms (although no one should interpret this reply of mine to mean this future hasn’t been thought about). All I can give you is my opinion, based on what I would do as DM.
So here it is. :}
Yes, in the short term, I do see the Zhentarim growing in power. Note that I said “short term.” The stronger and more influential they get, the more they get seen as a “serious threat” by rival evil power groups (the shades, the Red Wizards, etc. etc.) who will eventually reach a point where they decide to “do something” about the Zhents.
And being as the Zhentarim of “now” are inherently unstable (Fzoul plus Bane priests, allied to beholders, uneasily keeping the lid on a lot of independent-minded, scared-of-and angry-at-the-Banites wizards [with Manshoon playing a manipulative background game, plus unknown power factors such as Hesperdan, and possible troubles within the ranks of Zhent priests over the Cyric vs. Bane matter]), anyone who does a good job of attacking them will exploit those differences and set the Zhents to being at war with themselves, BEFORE moving openly against the Zhents and therefore encouraging the Brotherhood to “stand together” against them. The Zhents WILL end up savaging each other, and ending up much reduced in power. (Which will sadden no one outside the Brotherhood, so no one will act to prevent or minimize this.)
I think the most rash, stupid, and youngest-and-most-ambitious of the Zhents may want to lash out against the Red Wizards to defeat them and “show all watching Faerûn” Zhent supremacy, but Fzoul and veteran Zhents have taken a better measure of the Thayans than that, and will desire to avoid open confrontation, probably shifting the Zhents more into drugs, kidnapping, and slavery, seeking to “buy” influence over local authorities so that if push comes to shove and Red Wizards try to act against Zhents in those locales, the rulers will side with the Zhents.
I also see many priests of Bane as seeking guidance from the god on how to “deal with” the Red Wizards, and receiving divinely-guided suggestions on how to murder individual Red Wizards, tyrannize ditto, and even how to get specific Red Wizards drug-addicted and dependent on Zhent handlers.
However, I see these efforts being more “quiet preparations for a last-ditch defense” rather than “preparations for a war on all Red Wizards.” I don’t see the Zhents making much headway in open strife against the Red Wizards, regardless.
Nor do I see the Zhents succeeding in taking over the Cult of the Dragon--just because I see Cult members (powerful evil dragons in particular) wanting nothing to do with Zhent control over them, or welcoming any stranger-wizards or clergy of Bane or beholders of any alliance or origin. If the Zhents try, I’d see an ongoing struggle developing that will end only when the Zhent side realizes that they’ll never win loyalty or any useful amount of command and control, and that the struggle to do so is sapping too much of their strength to be worth it.
Again, just my opinion. Yet certainly the way I would run it. The Zhents of today are far more capable and less concerned with internal strife than the Zhents of yesteryear, but they are fewer in numbers, and have been riven by internal struggles while strong rivals (the shades, the Red Wizards, yadda yadda) have appeared on the scene or grown stronger.

So saith Ed. Creator of, and expert on, the Zhentarim, from Manshoon to Fzoul (and most of the other members, between).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  05:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thanks Ed!

Darnit, and here I was hoping for a Whole Zhent World.

:-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  16:40:44  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hi All,

I was curious as too the Zhent situation as well and wonder what drugs do they favor using when seeking to create addicts that are potentially dangerous as opposed to street level drugs for the average addict?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  23:22:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I appreciate the PM THO.

It was extremely USEFUL! Hopefully Ed will finally be able to comment on the results soon.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Feb 2007 23:22:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  01:50:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
My pleasure, Sage.
However: just as George posted "I'm e-mailing right now!" and I HOPE he meant e-mailing sources in Oz or at WotC, because Ed hasn't seen any e-mails from him, the HWhite account remains bereft of e-mails from you - - as does the other account I gave you!!
'Tis a conspiracy, I tell thee. They don't want us to communicate freely! In fact, they're . . .
[SIGNAL TERMINATED]

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  01:53:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Seriously: if either George Krashos or The Sage has sent any e-mails my way or to other "reach Ed" e-contacts . . . nothing from either of you has as yet arrived at either of them (I'm typing this at 9:06 pm on Sunday, Feb 18th, Canadian time; I'm well aware that Australian time is ahead of us, but George's e-mails regarding a certain project have been popping up in Ed's e-mail inbox promptly, "a day ahead" of all the North American ones).
So, something pisceanan is definitely going on . . .

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  01:56:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ah. That may be because I haven't sent my reply through yet. ::wink::

As I was going over my more recent mental meanderings on the Realmslore last night after your PM, I noticed a few extra points I want some clarification on, mainly from Ed. Though, if you feel the need to chime in as well, then by all means.

Provided I hear back from a certain other scribe sometime today (he knows who he is), I should have something for Ed by about this time tomorrow (my time).

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  02:30:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hmm, most strange. My group e-mails arrive and yet my "ZOMG, you're coming DownUnder, dude!" e-mail doesn't. I'll have to re-send.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  03:14:43  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I all ready know that most of my questions will be covered by multiple NDA, but for sake of my own sanity I must try and get some answers. Ed, thank you so much for giving us so many wonderfuls toys for us and for inspiring so many great writers to give us more (Steven Schend being one of my favorites)on DD in general and the Realms specifically.

I would like to give a hand drawn city map and dungeon I am proud of back to you for all the cool stuff you have given us as a token of gratitude, but have no ides how to send it. Do you have a PO box in Canada for something for fans to send stuff to you? Or do you have somebody you trust to receive your fanmail?

Who is the girl in Eleminster in Hell that gets into Ahghairons Tower in Waterdeep when the Weave goes all nutty? If NDA'd, are there any projects in the works to identify her in the future?

Below are questions I posed to Steven Schend that he couldn't answer.

Can you give us ANYTHING at all on the vaults of Uvaeren? I would love to try and map these out, but I have no idea on how to start.
Guardians, treasures, tombs, spells, layout, appearence, or any of the 6 signs on how to locate it mentioned in FoMD?

How deep would the remaining dungeons under Myth Ondathel be? I would assume some stuff underground would still be there, I plan on putting a base for the Eldath Veluuthra there and would like to know what they would find. Would the combo of Netherese survivor/Elves high mages have created any neat new things after 100 years of working together?

In the attack on Evermeet by Kymil Nimesin, did Ahskahala Durothil or Haklashara survive? If not, would it be a safe assumption that the military or the throne holds Morvian in trust for another worthy wielder?

When was the last time you had less that 2 projects at the same time you were working on. If I were you for the previous posts, I'd be dead from exhaustion.

Thanks for time you put in here with you fans. I know you care, but it still refreshing to see it on a daily basis
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  15:10:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time Ed makes reply to Jamallo Kreen. re. this post: “Having voiced my enthusiastic support for a book of "artist's conceptions" of various characters, the Sage of Stars makes me also want to suggest an illustrated book of Torilian Costume Through the Ages -- Featuring Jewelry and Other Acesories. The Netheril boxed set gives us the dates of some inventions (such as full plate armor) which might enable one to place an adventurer in historical context by clothing, but one supposes that over thousands of years the Elves have had fashions come and go, and one might readily encounter a portrait (or even some old codger) with old clothes which would serve to date him or her. (I am thinking now of Whatshisname, the ancient Elf-lord in Cormyr: A Novel.) If one has survived a visit to Spellgard or to the Warlock's Crypt {sic}, one might notice that a contemporary wizard was dressed in a certain style suggestive of Netheril (and might well be able to expose an impostor by means of careful observation of such things as the width of a cuff or the amount of ankle shown by a robe).
Since such a book must remain vaporware for years to come, Ed, would you please give us -- at your own pace, and in your own good time -- some noteworthy fashion highlights of Toril through the ages? (Ahhh, I can hear the PCs now: "Hey, Teraseer! That style of robe went out twenty thousands years ag ... oh oh....")”
Ed replies:

Yes, I agree that such a book would be a beautiful thing to have, and is a dynamite idea (which is, ahem, why I’ve pitched it to TSR and now Wizards dozens of times). I also agree that it will remain vaporware for years, if not forever. So I will impart some fashion highlights, here and in Realmslore web columns to come, over the next few years.
I’ll begin this monumental task, today, by commenting on your query about elven fashions, by saying your notion of dating an elf portrait or image through garb is doomed. Although in general, over time, elves have moved from near-nakedness adorned with growing plants worn as semi-garments, through diaphanous flowing to-the-wrist and to-the-ankle robes, to increasingly practical garments (leather boots, belts, carry-pouches, and form-fitting clothing), one CAN’T date elves by their fashion.
The reasons are twofold: elves have embraced a bewildering variety of fashions, somewhat like the pace of our real-world haute couture “a new trend every time you turn around,” and the strong elven embrace of individuality: except for priestly or very practical (e.g. fighting, scouting) wear, or garments dictated by ritual and custom (royal robes during specific ceremonies), individual elves tend to wear what they want. Fashions may “sweep” a city or realm, but not since Cormanthor have elves scorned other elves as “out of fashion.” Nowadays, there’s really no such thing as that, among elves, because every elf picks and chooses what they like from the passing parade of fashion. Therefore elves can be encountered wearing just about anything.

So saith Ed. Master clothier of the Realms (and no, that DOESN’T mean he wants all the ladies nude; just most of them ).
P.S. althen artren, thanks for your kind sentiments and excellent questions; I've sent them Ed's way. He is incredibly busy right now, but I hope he'll be able to reply before we all die of old age.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  16:40:47  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message
I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  16:42:00  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message
I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  19:22:01  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Are there any little hovels, hamlets and such on road between Asbravn and Hluthvarr, with the mountains so near I assume nothing that managed to last too long, year is Flamerule/1372 just in case you had conjured up something of note during that year
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  19:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

Are there any little hovels, hamlets and such on road between Asbravn and Hluthvarr, with the mountains so near I assume nothing that managed to last too long, year is Flamerule/1372 just in case you had conjured up something of note during that year

There might be some inns and wayhamlets (some of them around these inns) as Ed has said that in civilized lands (along major roads) there should be at least one inn per day's travel...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  20:27:50  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
That I am aware of, I am wondering if the proximity of such hostile regions with Far Hills and Sunset Mountains to East and Plains to the West. That as well as increased Zhent activity resulting in such Hamlets having to pay for protection or being taken over outright, I can go with the latter.

As part of the same question, in our world the myth is that diamonds in particular and some other precious stones are rare thus reason for cost. Do mine owners and/or merchants practice similar strategies in Faerun to make buyers think they are getting rare stones, what stones are truly rare or hard to come by in Faerun?

Edited by - createvmind on 19 Feb 2007 22:18:55
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  22:34:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
Well, it's finally been made public, so I can echo it here:
Ed is one of the judges for the 2006 World Fantasy Awards.
Tah-DAH!
Ahem.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  23:02:20  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Congrats Ed!
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  01:53:07  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Lady THO,

This is less a Realms related question and more an Ed related question. It is the practice of some professional authors (Dan Brown for example) to write the final chapter or epilogue first when writing a novel, and then to trace the route up to that point. Similarly, my History professor recently revealed to us the method by which one should read a book (from his perspective, a perspective shared by many of my professors, no less): That one should begin by reading the introduction, then the conclusion, then re-read the introduction... ponder it, then read the remaining chapters in order. Does Ed share this writing formula? Would he tend to agree with the method proscribed by my professors?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  03:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Congrats Ed!

Yes, congrats.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  03:22:20  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Yay !
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  04:25:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
MaxKaladin,
Ed has indeed written up at least six adventuring company charters that I know of.
Unfortunately, all of them are NDA because TSR asked for sample charters in 1986 (and again, more, in 1987) and Ed sent them in via TSR's FedEx account. Which means TSR owns them and controls their publication. Whether or not they can still FIND them is another matter , but doesn't change their legal status.
I have sent your question on to Ed (and Walker Ninja's, and everybody else's ). Ed is rushing to finish six major projects (yes, at once; I don't envy the man - - plus he has to draw up and promote the annual budget of the library board which he chairs; sheesh) right now, so how soon he'll reply is anyone's guess.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  05:39:17  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Unfortunately, all of them are NDA because TSR asked for sample charters in 1986 (and again, more, in 1987) and Ed sent them in via TSR's FedEx account. Which means TSR owns them and controls their publication. Whether or not they can still FIND them is another matter , but doesn't change their legal status.

Can't Ed sit down with someone at WoTC and make some clean up in all this NDA mess ? Many seem so old that I can't believe nothing can be made...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000