Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  19:29:06  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Master Ed and Lady THO,

Can porphyry be found in Faerun? Are these purple rocks sought out as building and statuary material for the wealthy in the same way the Romans did for their emperors?

Edited by - RodOdom on 03 Feb 2007 19:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3302 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  22:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Porphyry is mentioned in the Demihuman Deities write-up of Ghaunadaur.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  00:06:51  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Ooh, thanks !
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4923 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  00:21:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Something just struck me the other day: weights and measures. Ed has previously given us some information regarding measurements in the Realms, but I've never seen anything on weights. Got anything to tell us, Mr Greenwood?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  05:00:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oooh, good question, George! Off to Ed it goes!
Hello again, all.
This time Ed answers Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, re. this followup: “Actually, there is one more thing I was wondering about: I know that most newer wills contain a self-proving clause that states that the testator was not a minor, was of sound mind, and was under no undue influence or constraint. Is there anything similar to that in Cormyr? Being the fastidiously lawful realm that it is, I figure there might be. Thanks again, Rinonalyrna”
Ed replies:

Yes and no. That is, there are no such written clauses, but there ARE witnesses who sign, mark, stamp, or seal the documents attesting to the very things you mention. As I revealed some years ago, most contracts, trade agreements, and wills in Cormyr (and in wider settled and civilized Faerûn, too) are made before witnesses at a temple (priests) or before magisters (local justices) or “local lords” (administrators installed by the Crown, the equivalents of mayors and police chiefs).
Their marks on a will are only placed there if they believe the testator (not a Realms term, by the way; in the Realms, such persons are known as “utterers”) is either of age or is the last living heir of a family (underage nobles can make wills, if they are “the last of their line,” as can the sole eneficiaries of family wealth if more than one land property is part of that wealth), is of sound mind, and isn’t under constraint or undue influence (this last part is their primary focus; Crown clerks and the local lords they work for will often “guest” an utterer for days, chatting with them over meals and walks alone, to make sure they’re not influenced by someone else, as well as making the usual magical examinations).
Except, of course, in cases where no controversy or difficulties are thought to exist. Which from time to time (when hitherto-unknown or thought-to-be-dead heirs or claimants arise) causes future complications, yes.

So saith Ed. Who thinks things through in the Realms, and over forty years has built up a fair depth of thinking for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  16:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Awesome! That's really interesting. Thank you Ed, and Hooded One.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  17:58:47  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Mr. Greenwood I was curious as to what are the various types of peacestrings used in the north, Heartlands and the South, and in terms of game mechanics, how long does it take to untie them to pull weapons? What are the equivalant for casters besides the thumb- tie, exactly how is the thumb or fingers tied to prevent somatic casting. And one more thing, do druids have to prepare spells at a certain time of day regularly if at all?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  22:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

Mr. Greenwood I was curious as to what are the various types of peacestrings used in the north, Heartlands and the South, and in terms of game mechanics, how long does it take to untie them to pull weapons? What are the equivalant for casters besides the thumb- tie, exactly how is the thumb or fingers tied to prevent somatic casting. And one more thing, do druids have to prepare spells at a certain time of day regularly if at all?

Thanks

I am not Ed (and never will be ;) but we have used a house-rule in my gaming group - untying/snapping/cutting a peace-string is a move-equivalent action.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  00:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message
Dear Ed and the lovely hooded lady,

I finally got around to reading my copy of The Best of the Realms, volume 2, having read volume 1 a few months ago. I severely enjoy the wry quotes (usually courtesy of Volo) at the beginning of the stories. On that note, on the story "Bloodbound"; beyond Fzoul and his temptation over the armlet, what exactly happened to Tace (Tantaraze) after her fateful meeting with Storm?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (3.x/PF 14th lvl)
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4923 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  03:14:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

Thanks

Yes, I must say this was something I was going to bring up: where are the peacestrings in "Swords of Eveningstar"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  03:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Yes, I must say this was something I was going to bring up: where are the peacestrings in "Swords of Eveningstar"?

-- George Krashos
Bandits and assassins have no care for the laws regarding peacestrings, and that knights of the realm and chartered adventurers both have leave not to bind their weapons. All of the borne steel in Swords of Eveningstar is carried by Purple Dragons, the Swords/Knights (who, as chartered adventurers, and then knights, are "doubly" permitted to wear their swords unbound), or by criminals attempting to take the lives of Azoun or Florin and his band.

I have some makeshift rules for peacebound weapons around here somewhere. Mayhaps I'll send them off to Ed and see if he agrees to their terms?
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  05:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message
Well met.

I have tried twice in different threads with the questions about Mirrormane family (believing falsely that the family was created by James Lowder). As he corrected my mistake, I will try to ask these questions from the author:

What is known about the Mirrormane family (the most notable members are brothers Maskul and Xeno who were the high priests of Cyric's Temple in Zhentil Keep)?

What are the origins and roots of the Mirrormane family? What was it's social class and wealth before Time of Troubles? Were they nobles or merchants or just plain commoners who made quick career after the rise of Cyric?

Was this family somehow tied or connected with Cyric before his godhood?

What did the family do before the time of troubles?

Were the Maskul and Xeno members of Church of Bane?

Are any other members of this family mentioned somewhere? Or have You designed any other?

Best Regards,

Mandras

PS! I apologise for triple posting.

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4923 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  10:42:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos
Bandits and assassins have no care for the laws regarding peacestrings, and that knights of the realm and chartered adventurers both have leave not to bind their weapons. All of the borne steel in Swords of Eveningstar is carried by Purple Dragons, the Swords/Knights (who, as chartered adventurers, and then knights, are "doubly" permitted to wear their swords unbound), or by criminals attempting to take the lives of Azoun or Florin and his band.

I have some makeshift rules for peacebound weapons around here somewhere. Mayhaps I'll send them off to Ed and see if he agrees to their terms?

So how come Islif was brandishing her obviously non-peace-stringed new blade to her fellow not-yet-Knights?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  15:21:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Because, like any teenager hanging out in a semi-wilderness "hideout" with other teenagers, she ignored the law. Remember, she doesn't even have a proper belt and scabbard for the thing yet!
There are many "casual exceptions" to the law. The man who made the blade for her (and all smiths, asked to make or repair blades) is lawfully allowed to have it and even (in his workplace, to test balance, temper, etc.) brandish it; she could have "covered" herself, if questioned carrying it from him to her home or to the Stronghold, by saying (honestly) that it was her payment to him. (Cormyreans are VERY strong on debt repayments.) Sword vendors are likewise allowed to have weapons unbound in their possession -- and so on.
The right way to regard peacestrings laws are that they are the sort of thing Watch officers and Purple Dragons apply when they WANT to; in other words, against a suspicious character, not old Aldo the one-legged veteran who fetches down his old sword from his wall and waves it while telling of his valiant part in an old battle on behalf of the Crown, years and years ago. Most of the time, "authorities" turn a blind eye, enforcing only when it's useful to control malcontents, drunkards, crazies, bandits, and thieves.
Garen Thal is correct; almost all of the sword waving in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR is done by "exempt" persons; even Florin, as a forester in the woods, or Delbossan and his guards, as arms of the Crown charged with guarding and protecting Narantha, are "allowed" to draw unbound steel. So are nobles in their own homes (includes walled grounds immediately around them, such as gardens). Anyone hunting, noble or otherwise, who can give just cause why they're allowed to hunt where they're found, is also "allowed." And so on.
The regulation usually gets levied against folk in a city, tavern, or inn, who walk around with bared steel to menace others, or who draw steel at a guild or club meeting. "Don't place that wager, or else..." or "Better pay up, or else..." (Response: someone slips out to fetch the Watch.)
One place where folk will always run into trouble with unbound weapons is when meeting a road-patrol on a road in Cormyr, or trying to pass through any city gate, in or out. If there's a brawl at a tavern or an inspection by the Watch or arriving Purple Dragons, patrons had better have their weapons bound, too.
I'm basing this response on years of play with Ed as DM, much of it in Cormyr -- or involving Knights "twitting" Cormyreans who are in the Dales.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Feb 2007 15:32:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  15:26:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, scribes; Ed's latest lore reply just arrived (with a thump) in my inbox.
This time Ed answers Charles Phipps re. this: “An odd question Ed but one I'm really curious about.
Can you tell us what Fzoul's style of leadership is like? I'm interested as to how the Chosen of Bane interacts with his followers in the Church and Zhents.”
Ed replies:

Charles, I’ve always tried to keep this topic as “fuzzy” as possible, so as to give Realms novel authors maximum freedom. However, let me speak in overall generalizations rather than specifics.
Whereas Manshoon played one underling off against another, using implied threats and dire examples to “train” loyal behaviour (and had as many as fourteen “contingency plans” in place at all times, constantly altering and dovetailing them so as to smoothly control everything without seeming to), Fzoul is the ultimate political animal: he’ll say and do anything to get his own way, right now, in every situation.
This of course means none of the gods he serves trust him; they know his loyalty is ultimately personal, and he has kept his life and position only because the priests under him supported him as a religious superior, AND the beholders supported him personally, as the man they could best precisely order about. Fzoul uses the beholders to crush personal threats against him, and the priests to keep the Zhentarim wizards (who so tested and sought to undermine Manshoon, repeatedly) in line.
Fzoul has risen far and fast, by being a lucky, swift-witted, and ruthless opportunist. However, in cunning, foresight, and strategy Manshoon is always about eight steps ahead of him; some observers (such as Elminster) even believe Manshoon engineered his own “downfall” so as not to be in charge and on the firing line when “something big” happens, soon. Just what that is, and how Fzoul’s going to handle it, of course remain mysteries Yet To Be Revealed, for us all.

So saith Ed. Who has spoken and written about this topic a time or two before, and is carefully dancing around both NDAs and future plans, here.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  16:17:58  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Fzoul and Manshoon are like corporate CEOs, but with evil gods as board members !
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  04:04:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. This time Ed responds to Uzzy, re. this: “Hello again Ed! I'm currently reading Crown of Fire (and enjoying it thoroughly), and have a few questions about the Zhentarim wizard Gathlarue and her apprentices, Mairara and Tespril. I was wondering firstly if there was more you could tell us about them and the relationship between them all, which seemed to be rather close. Secondly, Gathlarue mentions that 'no woman, it seemed, rose high in the robed ranks of the Zhentarim' and that she needed to appear as a man around the other wizards. Ashemmi in Spellfire was similar mentioned as a 'him'. Is there any historical reason why women could not rise highly in the ranks of the Zhentarim in the time of Manshoon, or just cultural bias and has such changed, or are Syculla Darkhope and Ashemmi the exception to the rule? Thanks once again for your replies and excellent novels.”
Ed replies:

You’re quite welcome. I enjoy writing both, and hope I’m steadily getting better.
No, there’s no historical reason for a bar on the advancement of women within the ranks of the Zhentarim, but there is (see hereafter) something of a cultural bias. Here we go . . .
The conditions that existed from Manshoon’s founding of the Brotherhood until he was “overthrown” by Fzoul were, among ALL member wizards, a seething, constant struggle for supremacy.
Because a lot of the more powerful wizards had come from backgrounds where male wizards (their former tutors) habitually exploited females (including apprentices--and yes, some female tutors sexually used and “kept down” both male and female apprentices, just as some male tutors did the same with both male and female apprentices), these “senior Zhentarim” used the gender of female wizards against them, as one more way of “keeping down” potential rivals.
Manshoon saw all of this striving as good for the organization (and his continued control of it), and so didn’t intervene except in particular cases, as he personally desired to do so. As a result, female wizards got raped, dominated, and belittled as a matter of course, and many of them succeeded only by taking lovers and working with them in a team.
The Shadowsil (Symgharyl Maruel, as seen in SPELLFIRE and the forthcoming SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE) “slept her way to the top” by becoming Manshoon’s lover and vaulting past the senior wizards in effective rank, but most female wizards didn’t get very high in the ranks EXCEPT through being every bit as efficient and ruthless as the men. Ashemmi used a male disguise for most of her career, and so did Gathlarue; both saw it as one way to overcome this handicap.
As for Gathlarue’s relationship with her apprentices, Mairara and Tespril: Gathlarue liked both males and females, but among the Zhentarim dared only enjoy females for fear of being “used” by males--so she exploited her apprentices and confined herself to that sexual outlet for her own “career safety.” She came to truly love her appentices, though she always put herself first. Mairara and Tespril also came to love their tormentor, and to really enjoy her cruel attentions. Yes, they’re the masochists in an S&M relationship; I didn’t see the need to try to battle TSR editors to make things more explicit, because there was no “story” need to do so; as Elaine and I once agreed to say: “We titillate and move on.” :}

So saith Ed. Who in the past often wrote fully detailed, frankly pornographic love scenes for his novels, and sent them in to his editors along with all the rest of the prose, so they could share them around the office for laughter and chuckles (yes, he’s always had male AND female editors). Nowadays, with the editors so overworked, he won’t waste their time in that manner without being specifically asked to do so.
(So, do they ask? NDA!)
love to all (and frequently),
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  11:24:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Hm . . . in light of that response Steven's comment in Blackstaff about Ashemmi and "what Manshoon had done to her" becomes even more interesting, and definately makes some sense, even if its a bit of a vague comment.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  13:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hm . . . in light of that response Steven's comment in Blackstaff about Ashemmi and "what Manshoon had done to her" becomes even more interesting, and definately makes some sense, even if its a bit of a vague comment.

Im guessing Manshoon some how managed to get a Helm of Opposite alignment or similar personality changing spell or item onto Ashemmi

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  20:16:58  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
THO,

Having been heartened by your previous suggestion, we have endeavored to run a poll in order to determine the relative popularity of a diversity of Realmslore topics, and in turn suggest them to Ed (and other authors) as potential topics for Web Enhancement. Thus far, we have recieved 87 votes (the most recent Candlekeep poll topped out at 75). Thus, even though polling will not end until this Sunday, we have a general feeling of what the most popular topics are. I was wondering whether you could peruse the proposed topics and comment upon their viability for Web Articles (or better yet, have Ed comment upon them).

Our humble poll is found in this thread:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8810

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  00:16:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks, WalkerNinja. I will pass these on to Ed. My general feeling is that all of these topics are too "big" for Realmslore web columns (series, yes, though both Ed and the WotC web folks seem happiest with one- , two- , or three-part coverage of topics), but we'll see what Ed says.
Oh, hi again, all!
Foxhelm recently posted a barrage of questions for Ed, and he’s tackled some of them now, leaving others for later. Here we go: “Has Ed read Eric L. Boyd's article in Dragon 350 (Legacies of Ancient Empires: Planetouched of Faerun)? If so, could he spin some lore about the planetouched that lie within, with my interests being with Azerblood and the Celadrins in particular?
Also what do the Seven Sister and the other Chosen of Mystra react to the news of the ending of "Blackstaff"? Do they even know? And what is their opinion of Khelben now?
Now a couple of humourous question...
Does Elminster have groupies? Like with sexy wizardresses who are turned on by skillful hands or warrior women that hunger for a man with the ability to become very dangerous? And what would the Simbul think of that?
Also a who would win question: The Simbul...or Granny Weatherwax from Discworld?
These are all of the questions I have for the moment. Thanks and good health.
Foxhelm, who still wonders if the Realms word for Librarian is Ed?”
Ed replies:

Of course I read Eric’s article, but I’m afraid you’ll have to wait quite some time for follow-up lore from my pen regarding the planetouched; I’m way beyond wildly busy, right now.
As for the reactions of the Chosen to the events of BLACKSTAFF: yes, they know. How do they feel? NDA. And think of Khelben? NDA. (Sorry, but to say anything more would reveal too much of forbidden-right-now future Realmslore.)
Yes, Elminster has groupies. I’ll write some scenes touching on that, some day. The Simbul finds it amusing. (And understands his needs in responding to them; see THO’s reply to Charles Phipps in the novel thread, in his review of THE TEMPTATION OF ELMINSTER.)
You are correct about two of the sorts of groupies he gets. There are others, including non-spellcasters fascinated by powerful wizards and/or shapechangers; by those who lust after men who’ve been alive for centuries and personally known heroes and heroines now dust, that said groupies idolize; and those fascinated by humans who have been both genders.
As for your “who would win” query; that’s hardly fair unless you also get Terry’s reply, but for my money: The Simbul would win ONLY if she got in a devastating surprise attack or first strike; otherwise, my coins would be on Esmerelda Weatherwax, all the way.
As for the Realms word for librarian: there are many. Ook, indeed.

So saith Ed. No, Ed is the Realms word for “Creator.” Librarians are the beautiful, intelligent, capable women Ed has worked under for over three decades (and yes, I chose the words “worked under” deliberately ).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  16:03:25  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed,

I have recently started playing a gnomish bard and am having a great time. In an effort to provide some depth to my character can you provide some information about gnomish arts and music please? Some specifics I'd like to know is what instruments do gnomes favor, what styles of music they play.

Thanks

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 07 Feb 2007 16:33:12
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  22:22:41  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eric,

In "The Spire of Long Shadows" FR adapdation notes, you speak of maps of Longsaddle and the Tower of Twilight in "Volo's Guide to the North" and "The North", downloadable online, etc.

All I can find is the overland map showing the two locations of the above places, but nothing showing an actual 'map' or 'layout' of the Tower of Twilight (the map of Longsaddle "is" present though, and the Ivy Mansion is shown in the FR Atlas, so that's good... all I need is a layout of the ol' archmage's Tower! :) )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am unaware of any existing map of the Tower of Twilight, unless one showed up in one of the computer games or on the FR5 - Savage Frontier gatefold.

Ed might have one scribbled in pencil and moldering in his basement, but I've never seen one.

--Eric

--------------------------------------

Ed?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  01:32:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah! There are maps of both the Tower and Longsaddle in the old Fonstad print-version FR Atlas. The Longsaddle can best be described as "partial," though.
Hello again, scribes!
This time Ed answers createvmind, re. this: “Hello Ed, In your games how do you deal with Players who have traveled 8 hours, been forced into combat thereafter then chosen to stand watch for the remainder of the night, basically being up almost 24 hours. I know they are fatigued but at what point do they make Con checks to see if they take nonlethal damage?
Whats your house rule?”
Ed replies:

By Players I assume you mean PCs, here. I try not to mistreat my players like that, because I want them to come back. :}
My house rule regarding PCs depends on the nature of the combat (extreme heat or cold? lightning damage? spell effects on them?) Otherwise, I leave the checks until highsun of the next day (so, up and active more than 24 hours), because they ARE heroes. Veteran adventurers standing watch know how to relax muscles, lounge against supporting walls and trees, change their breathing, shifting their eye focus, massage each other’s muscles, etc. AND “cat nap” with their eyes open, gaining all the benefits of relaxation without deep sleep. Novices, on the other hand, usually can’t do all of these things, and would be at risk sooner.
I once experienced a GenCon D&D Open play session in which 1st level PCs had to walk overland for five days on a well-travelled road to reach a town to begin the scenario. The novice DM ruled automatic loss of 1 hp a day for sleeping in the open (camping with fires and tents), killing both of the party’s magic-users (1st level, so both had the maximum of 4 hp under the game rules of the time), and reducing most of the rest of the party to 1 or 2 hp (before any roleplaying had begun).
This was an early round of the Open tournament (team elimination), and when all of the players--politely, mind you--disagreed with the DM’s interpretation of the rules, he killed all of the surviving PCs on the spot with an angry god’s lightning bolts.
When one of the by-then-angry players informed him he’d just killed characters run by Ed Greenwood, head TSR mapper Dave Sutherland, and Nigel Findlay, and was disagreeing with their rules interpretations, the DM was elated, and couldn’t wait to get home from the con and boast about who he’d “beaten” in play. Sigh.

So saith Ed. Not a GenCon I attended, which is probably why that DM is still alive today. Way to ruin the con experience for paying customers (events were free in those days, but there was still an admission/registration fee).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  02:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
What a horrible GenCon thought..

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000