Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Four book novel trend
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:23:31  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know how I came by this thought, but has anyone else noticed that the recent character class novels (thieves, fighters, priests, wizards) only ever have four novels in the series?

For example Wizards just released the fourth book - Frostfell. Fighters only has Master of Chains, Ghostwalker, Son of Thunder amd Bladesinger.
Priests has Mistress of the Night, Queen of the Depths, Maiden of Pain and Lady of Poison.

I think this could be applied to some of the other series as well - Cities, and even the normal trilogies when you include the Realms of novel as well.

I was going to ask what the next series of four will be, but I found out by accident looking at a webstore. I think the next series of four will be the Dungeons, starting with Depths of Madness.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a way of grouping stand-alone novels by theme, without having so many books in any one series that it becomes intimidating for new readers (IIRC, that's why the Harper series was split up a bit).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 Dec 2006 23:34:25
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  01:37:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it actually. I think Wotc has been doing this for a while anyways. Look at the anthologies that have been published after each series
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  04:47:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, every major trilogy gets an anthology, which I like. Personally though, I wish that they would throw in a "fourth" book to the actual trilogy (channeling Douglas Adams here) set perhaps a year or two later that deals with the characters and how their lives and circumstances have changed in the aftermath of the "big story," but I doubt that will happen.
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:02:49  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Citadels" series will probably be a four book set too.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  06:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad people are liking the 4-standalones sets. I know I enjoy them.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  08:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like them so much that I wished WotC commissioned a second set of the Rogues, Priests, Fighters and Wizards series.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  14:14:18  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
of course, the year of rogues dragons had 5

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  17:10:50  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, but originally they only planned for four.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Yeah, every major trilogy gets an anthology, which I like. Personally though, I wish that they would throw in a "fourth" book to the actual trilogy (channeling Douglas Adams here) set perhaps a year or two later that deals with the characters and how their lives and circumstances have changed in the aftermath of the "big story," but I doubt that will happen.

It would be nice, but unless it's a new story featuring the characters, it's hard to see how you can make a novel out of that. I agree it would be nice for some follow up to the series', but I think a novel is an unsuitabel format. It's something that could (and perhaps should) be slipped into sourcebooks, or would make a decent web enhancement.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  17:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe as a short story somewhere like the site or Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  17:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am loving the anthologies that come with most trilogies. Nice way of getting the less well known writers published, and providing a nice introduction to the trilogy, despite being released at the end! If only they would make a Realms of the Harpers for Elaine's 6th Songs and Swords book, and a Bard set of books. I would be pretty happy with that lot!!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  18:46:08  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think it's a way of grouping stand-alone novels by theme, without having so many books in any one series that it becomes intimidating for new readers (IIRC, that's why the Harper series was split up a bit).

I thought they broke up the Harper series because you had Elaine's novels in there without being in order, you had a sequal to one of Ed's novels in there, a "4th" book in there for Finderstone, etc. It was a mess of subsets, not a specific set of novels.

Not to mention half of them will never see reprint!

I personally haven't enjoyed most of the class books, but that's just me. I understand why they're doing it, but they need to pay more attention to what all these new authors are writing/contradicting.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000