Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fiend-hunting paladin?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  22:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently found mention of the "Sentinel", a variant paladin with an NG alignment and fiend-fighting powers which are a near-ideal fit to a character-concept I've been pondering for a while. Unfortunately, as I don't actually have Dragon 310 itself, I don't have any sense of the class's attitudes, mentalities and focus.

If anyone out there does have this issue, could I prevail upon them to sketch a quick summary of the Sentinel's fluff to me, to see if it actually does work as well as I'd like to believe? Even a three-sentence PM description would be great.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  00:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Replace the following from the regular Paladin

2nd: Swap out Lay on Hands for Resist Fiendish Lure

3rd: Swap out Divine health gain Celestial Fortitude

4th: Swap out turn undead gain turn outsider

5th: Swap out Special Mount gain Celestial minion

Sentinel never gets the Remove disease ability but gets Dispel evil at 8th level and additional times per week at 12th, 16th and 20th levels

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  01:40:39  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oO
Is this Sentinal Neutral good because its hunt devils and demons indiscriminately? Hmmm... The knight of the chalice Prc also has fiendslaying abilties and is strictly Lawful Good.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  02:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Sentinel never gets the Remove disease ability but gets Dispel evil at 8th level and additional times per week at 12th, 16th and 20th levels

I appreciate the listing, Dargoth, but, uhm, [points to OP] I was after the class's fluff? The abilities I already have, from an index .pdf I found at Crystal Keep.
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind
oO
Is this Sentinel Neutral Good because it hunts devils and demons indiscriminately? Hmmm... The Knight of the Chalice PrC also has fiend-slaying abilties and is strictly Lawful Good.

There are... quirks of the character's background which are not conducive to an LG alignment, or an immediate classing into such a PrC. (Besides, that whole 'Sune can have LG paladins' thing bugs me a little....)

As it happens, I've actually been PM'd the fluff-summary I was after by another scribe. There are some things about the class which don't quite fit the original concept... but explanations for them actually sparked a slightly deeper understanding of the character in question, so it looks like I can work with it.

Many thanks to all involved.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  02:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Resist fiendish Lure +4 Sacred Bonus to all saves vs mind affecting attacks of evil outsiders

Celestial fortitude: +2 sacred bonus to fort saves vs effects from evil outsiders and evil spells if the spell deals damage and the sentinel saves then he takes no damage

Turn outsider: basicly works the same as turn undead but for outsiders

Celestial Minion: Summon a Medium or smaller celestial animal twice per day. Celestial minion gets all of the stat bonus the Paladins mount does but it can only stay for 1 hour per paladin level

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000