Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Bowling for Divinity -- Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  22:11:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The passages in Faiths & Pantheons in the adventure that has the two relics. Bane had the dagger before he became a deity and the three in the first line of text are Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul and as the passage implies, they were still mortal when they killed Borem.

There were a few 2e passages also, but I can't remember the sources.

However, from current sources, we know that Karsus did what he did because he wanted to stop the destruction of the Phaerimm, since they were draining Netheril. So, his event had really nothing to do with the three.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Jun 2007 22:20:06
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  01:14:48  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

There were a few 2e passages also, but I can't remember the sources.
Faiths & Avatars was one, as I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2007 01:15:30
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8028 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  03:46:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>The passages in Faiths & Pantheons in the adventure that has the two relics. Bane had the dagger before he became a deity >>and the three in the first line of text are Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul and as the passage implies, they were still mortal >>when they killed Borem.

Yes, but nothing indicates that their killing of Borem couldn't have happened in -450 or even -550 DR as I recall? The only thing it noted was that it was in the vicinity of the Kingdom of Jaamdath, which implies to a degree that it was before -255 (if one follows the assumption that it was a part OF the kingdome of Jaamdath).

<<However, from current sources, we know that Karsus did what he did because he wanted to stop the destruction of the <<Phaerimm, since they were draining Netheril. So, his event had really nothing to do with the three.

Not saying that he didn't plan on ascending for that purpose (fighting the Phaerimm and all). But what gave him the original idea? Could it be that he had heard that some upstarts had become divine? Could it be that he then heard about a fanciful story about a mage who became divine by stealing divine power from one of those upstarts in a magical accident? Did he think he could improve upon the process as a result? Was the fact that others had done it a piece of hubris that was always in the back of his mind? It doesn't really affect things that I'm doing overmuch, but it could help answer why he was so driven for this particular effect.

<<Faiths & Avatars was one, as I recall.

Sage, do you remember what they were? I've reread the entry for the skull bowling, Bane's entry, Bhaal's entry, Xvim's entry, Myrkul's entry... and nothing indicates that it was after the fall of Netheril.
As I was saying before, if he was only advancing single baneliches at a time every 50 or 60 years (almost like he was investing his divine energy in them... like backup batteries), then that becomes roughly between -730 DR and -380 DR... with an average of -555 DR, a few hundred years before the end of the empire, and long enough to have caught Karsus' interest I would think).
On a side note, I do find it of interest that Xvim's arising from Zhentil Keep was in 1368 DR, and Velsharoon's arising as a deity was in 1368. Velsharoon took on the alias of Mellifleur (a deity who had stolen divine power from Bane) at that time. Was Bane's and/or Xvim's re-arising possibly tied in the background to this "release" of Mellifleur (after all, Velsharoon partook of Talos' divine power in order to ascend, not Bane's).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  04:02:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>The passages in Faiths & Pantheons in the adventure that has the two relics. Bane had the dagger before he became a deity >>and the three in the first line of text are Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul and as the passage implies, they were still mortal >>when they killed Borem.

Yes, but nothing indicates that their killing of Borem couldn't have happened in -450 or even -550 DR as I recall? The only thing it noted was that it was in the vicinity of the Kingdom of Jaamdath, which implies to a degree that it was before -255 (if one follows the assumption that it was a part OF the kingdome of Jaamdath).
Indeed. Remember, the details about the Lake being located in pre-Dale Reckoning Jhaamdath shouldn't be taken as completely specific. It's presented as a possibility only, as I noted earlier on pg. 1 of this scroll. Until GHotR either confirms or denies this, it's probably not a good idea to base all of the theories about the ascension of the Dark Three on the pre-Dale Reckoning Jhaamdath tidbit.

And if that's the case... then the possibility that Bane's ascension occured after Jhaamdath's Fall [in -255 DR] and before the tidbit noted in Lands of Intrigue, which states that a young noble of Clan Fyrson, in -88 DR, was charged with worshipping the dark gods Bane and Myrkul, exists.
quote:
<<Faiths & Avatars was one, as I recall.

Sage, do you remember what they were? I've reread the entry for the skull bowling, Bane's entry, Bhaal's entry, Xvim's entry, Myrkul's entry... and nothing indicates that it was after the fall of Netheril.
I'll have to check to be certain.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2007 04:03:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000