Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Volo's Guides Return (One Way Or Another)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  04:47:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Our lovely THO hinted that there might be a regular feature that could be coming up that might herald the return of Volo, and we have also heard that Dragon Magazine would be featuring regular Forgotten Realms articles. James Jacobs confirmed in this thread at Paizo's boards that Volo's Guides will return, in this form as a regular feature in Dragon Magazine:

Shortened version of a previously long link

Mod edit: Coded the link, because it was stretching the page.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Dec 2006 01:38:39

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  04:54:57  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I hope that Volo's return won't be like the new "Cities of the realms" series that included... 1 city !
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  06:00:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO's already told us the reasons behind the slow progress of Ed's "Cities of the Realms" articles for DRAGON. Mostly, it's because of time restraints and the million-and-a-half other projects Ed's always working on.

See his compiled reply scroll for more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Dec 2006 06:01:44
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  06:20:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another city of the realm has been submitted. Ed just hasn't had time to get the art and map stuation sorted. I'll drop him a line to see if there's any chance it will hit print.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  00:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds potentially great.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  02:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which city is it? ::drools in anticipation::
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  04:18:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be telling and I wouldn't want to get you all in a tizzy of expectation only for it not to be published.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  04:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, if that's the case, then I guess it's better to not know than to know but potentially never see it (hopefully not the case).

Can't blame me for trying to get an answer though, I like articles/entries on cities, often some of the first things in a setting I look at.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  08:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was wise to start a subscription of Dragon...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  15:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I resubscribed yesterday. It was the 'pool of approved authors' bit that did it.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  18:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds Great, "Volo's Guides" they are just so good.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  19:07:27  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent news. Can't wait.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  23:07:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I resubscribed yesterday. It was the 'pool of approved authors' bit that did it.

That was funny. Only because it gave a glimpse of your sometimes boundless pessimism re the Realms. C'mon Faraer, the glass is way more than half full. At least we've got a published Realms. Imagine how all those Dark Sun fans out there feel.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  01:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I've been sounding pessimistic lately, I messed up. I don't feel that way.

Of course, I don't know who's in the pool, other than (now) that you're not. It could be... sorry, too tired and nice to think of funny unsuitable people.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  01:32:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Imagine how all those Dark Sun fans out there feel.

-- George Krashos

Of course, you had to say "Dark Sun" fans, because at least now the Greyhawk fans are getting an "Expedition to Castle Greyhawk" and potentially some old lore tie ins in the "Expedition to the Demonweb Pits" adventures . . .

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  03:23:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly KEJr. I was just about to type in "GH" and then remembered that they're about to get some love - as it should be.

And probably 'pessimistic' was too strong for Faraer. How does 'wistfully fatalistic' sound?

I'm hyped at the moment regarding The FR info that we are going to get in Dragon. I think that the "Super-Adventure" in 2007 will contain strong FR material. The novel line at the moment is presenting some of the best FR fiction seen in a long time. C-Keep is still going strong.

What's not to like?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  03:43:19  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's not to like?

I greatly appreciate your work in FR George, but I cannot see how you can be happy with a 2007 catalogue that figures only a 3 parts RSE-Adventure (even one written mainly by E. Boyd)...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  05:47:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:

What's not to like?

I greatly appreciate your work in FR George, but I cannot see how you can be happy with a 2007 catalogue that figures only a 3 parts RSE-Adventure (even one written mainly by E. Boyd)...

Well, I personally think that the vagaries of the schedule have thrown up this adventure arc and its release pattern. Rich Baker has said that more and different products are on the horizon. I'm confident that the 'adventures' notwithstanding the fact that they are just that, will throw up many interesting facts and developments in the Realms. Wouldn't you want to know about things like the link between the Obarskyrs and Shadowdale? Just what is happening regarding organisations like the Shades and the Zhents? How characters grow up and develop in the Realms? How juicy 2E realmslore hooks can be taken up in 3E products? There's a whole host of information to be unveiled. Look forward to it. Embrace it. The alternative is that we go the way of Birthright or Dark Sun and wait for a couple of Dragon magazine crumbs once or twice a year ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  05:52:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The alternative is that we go the way of Birthright or Dark Sun and wait for a couple of Dragon magazine crumbs once or twice a year ...
Well, Dark Sun receives as close to official WotC support as it can through the athas.org website. And, as I recall, one of the current contributors to the site has worked on published DS 2e material.

Birthright though, has been pretty much hung out to dry!

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Dec 2006 05:53:13
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  22:04:54  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mmmmmmmmmmm.....birthright........

*snaps out of his reviere*
wha? oh sorry.. just thinking about massive land wars and political intrigue..

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  00:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's great to hear that the guidebooks of the inimitable Volo are returning. I'd be delighted to see reprints of the actual paper Volo's Guides... but that's probably a pipe dream.

Still, anything Volo-ish is good.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  04:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The novel line at the moment is presenting some of the best FR fiction seen in a long time.

I couldn't agree more.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  17:12:24  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this refers to those new monthly columns, as I haven't see the latest Dragon yet.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  23:05:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does -- DRAGON #351 -- Volo's Guide.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  21:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It does -- DRAGON #351 -- Volo's Guide.

Can you provide any more details on it?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  23:26:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article is called "Lost Regalia of the North: The Toppled Thrones", which should provide some hint as to its content. 'Tis about four pages in length. And there's a funky intro by Ed...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  23:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The article is called "Lost Regalia of the North: The Toppled Thrones", which should provide some hint as to its content. 'Tis about four pages in length. And there's a funky intro by Ed...

Is the issue out in Australia yet?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  00:14:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is, yes. I purchased a copy on Friday at my DNSFNLGS

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  01:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is, yes. I purchased a copy on Friday at my DNSFNLGS

cool

I when Dungeon tiles 3 and the Gargantuan Blue dragon will be out......

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  02:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a new issue of Dragon, and I like the recent attention to the FR. This is certainly a step in the right direction.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  15:11:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone got Dragon #354 yet? Assuming it's got the article I expect, I hope you like it. I'd be curious what people think of the accompanying map, which I haven't seen yet.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000