Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The new deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  22:07:44  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody's got a big head...... The REAL Ao KNEW who took the tablets- he just booted everyone out as a "lesson".

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  23:07:40  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... This one's a toughie (with one exception). It's a pity I can only pick one. So... I vote for Kelemvor. I like the idea of a death god who preaches acceptance of death, as opposed to 'kill as many people as possible before you die yourself'-types that seem to be popular in High Fantasy settings. If I could, I would vote for all the others on the list except Cyric. He really is nothing more than a self-important git. Okay, those aren't quite my own words, but if I wrote what I really think he is, it'll be heavily censored, so I opted for something slightly more polite. (Only slightly, though.)
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  17:29:16  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow I doubt "all" the old gods are coming back. I mean, I'd love to see Tyche in action but that would involve getting rid of two other gods. And for some, like Moander, being a "dead god" is kind of their thing. Bringing them back would make them much less interesting.

I voted for Kelemvor, because I got into the Realms in 3rd edition and he's always been my favorite. I love playing Paladins of Kel who focus on hunting down undead. I think the God of the Dead should have a vested interest in eliminating undead. You can't cheat Death forever.

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  18:01:37  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd vote for Myrkul, but I already had him back in my campaign before we switched to playing in Golarion.

Velsharoon sought and acquired the Crown of Horns in an effort absorb the vestiges of Myrkul's divinity in the Crown, thereby increasing his own divine powers. Unfortunately for him, Myrkul's essence was too much for him and Velsharoon found his divinity being absorbed by Myrkul (Myrkul's own experiences ascending from mortality and his familiarity with souls and life/death, even in his diminished state, were still well beyond Velsharoon's capabilities to counter). Thus, Myrkul was "reborn" and became the god of undeath and necromancy in my campaign (an irony he found he rather enjoyed, having been "reborn" into undeath by cheating his former portfolio of Death).

Before we switched to Golarion, Myrkul was busy tracking down the Spirit Eater of Rashemen (a creation of his) in an attempt to re-absorb the divine essence he placed in it as a contingency against his death, hoping to elevate himself to lesser power status.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5803 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  04:26:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I'd vote for Myrkul, but I already had him back in my campaign before we switched to playing in Golarion.

Velsharoon sought and acquired the Crown of Horns in an effort absorb the vestiges of Myrkul's divinity in the Crown, thereby increasing his own divine powers. Unfortunately for him, Myrkul's essence was too much for him and Velsharoon found his divinity being absorbed by Myrkul (Myrkul's own experiences ascending from mortality and his familiarity with souls and life/death, even in his diminished state, were still well beyond Velsharoon's capabilities to counter). Thus, Myrkul was "reborn" and became the god of undeath and necromancy in my campaign (an irony he found he rather enjoyed, having been "reborn" into undeath by cheating his former portfolio of Death).

Before we switched to Golarion, Myrkul was busy tracking down the Spirit Eater of Rashemen (a creation of his) in an attempt to re-absorb the divine essence he placed in it as a contingency against his death, hoping to elevate himself to lesser power status.

It seems several of us want to see Velsharoon get ahold of the crown of horns and "something" happen as a result. Personally, I've always favored Velsharoon more. However, I also long favored the idea that Velsharoon had used the phylactery of Mellifleur to become a deity, and that somewhere in Velsharoon's godliness is Mellifleur's personality buried. It would be extremely interesting to me if Velsharoon were actually several beings' consciousness sharing divinity (i.e. Velsharoon, Mellifleur, and Myrkul) and that these consciousnesses may work against each other. For instance, Velsharoon may help Mystra, but Myrkul may send an avatar to help bring back Talos, meanwhile Mellifleur may actually try to help the demi-lich Ythazz Buvaar or Larloch.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5803 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  04:34:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or another take on the aforementioned... Myrkul doesn't want the responsibility of being a god, so he decides to take on the role of advisor to Velsharoon, much as Jergal did for him, but with a darker bent. He helps reveal secrets that Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul had long ago discovered. Possibly he tries to get Velsharoon to side with his old friends, or possibly the exact opposite. He does advise against Velsharoon giving his undying loyalty to Mystra, hoping to forestall her gaining the power she once held.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  04:37:24  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
It seems several of us want to see Velsharoon get ahold of the crown of horns and "something" happen as a result. Personally, I've always favored Velsharoon more. However, I also long favored the idea that Velsharoon had used the phylactery of Mellifleur to become a deity, and that somewhere in Velsharoon's godliness is Mellifleur's personality buried. It would be extremely interesting to me if Velsharoon were actually several beings' consciousness sharing divinity (i.e. Velsharoon, Mellifleur, and Myrkul) and that these consciousnesses may work against each other. For instance, Velsharoon may help Mystra, but Myrkul may send an avatar to help bring back Talos, meanwhile Mellifleur may actually try to help the demi-lich Ythazz Buvaar or Larloch.

Interesting, though if there's a deity that could benefit from multiple personality disorder, it would be Cyric. That might actually make him somewhat interesting.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000