Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most powerful weapons of the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  21:40:50  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What would you say are the top 5 most powerful(non artifact) weapons of the realms?

Also what makes a weapon an artifact.

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:16:35  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the first question - the top 5 weapons of the realms - how in the nine hells can anyone answer that, really? That is always dependent on the one who is wielding it, as a weapon only gains power through its skillful master.

To your answer your second question I will first quote the DMG:
"The misty past holds many secrets. Great wizards and powerful clerics, not to mention the deities themselves, used spells and created items that are beyond the ken of modern knowledge. These items survive as artifacts, but their means of creation are long gone."

And as the DMG from 21st. Ed. put it:
"Each Artifact and relic is an item of potent powers and possibly strange side effects as well... only 1 of each may exist."

So, what vis and Artifact? In other words: it is very powerful and absolutely unique magical item, which has been crafted in the past and who's method of creation has been long lost.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

As for the first question - the top 5 weapons of the realms - how in the nine hells can anyone answer that, really? That is always dependent on the one who is wielding it, as a weapon only gains power through its skillful master.

Agreed, I'm not sure how we are supposed to answer this question.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:48:20  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take a guess that at least one of them is in Blackstaff Tower
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  23:10:38  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

What would you say are the top 5 most powerful(non artifact) weapons of the realms?

It's hard to say, maybe Demron's baneblades or vorpal sword that Alusair wields

quote:
Also what makes a weapon an artifact.

If it's made by Craft Artifact feat (which is undetailed for now, can only be learned by reading Ars Factum), basically any weapon who's craft cannot be repeated and the lore required for such creation is long lost

Check Volo's guide to all things magical and Book of Artifacts for some other methods of creating artifacts

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  23:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So by definition how do you create an artifact? Surely 'tis not an artifact until how to make it is forgotten.

Kinda like antiques, they're not antiques at the time
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  23:42:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

Check Volo's guide to all things magical and Book of Artifacts for some other methods of creating artifacts

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

I think it was the 1E DMG that said artifacts were a reason for DMs to break the rules.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Dec 2006 23:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  00:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my money, the most powerful weapon in the Realms (One with stats at least) would be the Blade of One Thousand Broken Dreams, detailed in Magic of Faerún. It's special ability really makes it one powerful, realms changing sword.

Other then that, your looking at weapons that have deep symbolism attached to that. The Crowning Blades of Cormyr, the blade Fflar used to slay Aulmpiter etc. For pure power.. hmm, Drizzt's Scmitars? Arilyn's Moonblade? Although as mentioned, an awful lot depends on who's using them.

Edited by - Uzzy on 04 Dec 2006 00:07:12
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  00:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is almost like the who is best xxx of the Realms threads *yawn*

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  00:34:38  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Those Denning's swords in RoAW trilogy
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  02:51:05  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
weapons are not powerful, but they have the capacity to make their wielders powerful. You look for a great warrior, but wars do not make one great.

Remember, he who questions his training only trains himself to ask questions.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

boards
Acolyte

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  12:30:48  Show Profile  Visit boards's Homepage Send boards a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tashlaharra (sp). An elven greatsword (+8?) that allows the user to cast any high magic on his own without backlash. Currently in Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  14:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once read about an inteigent moonbalde with spell like powers of 8 level. Ill try to find that info agin, i think it was somthing with Myth Dranor. But until now i think that the Blade of One Thousand Broken Dreams is the most power full.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 07 Dec 2006 14:06:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:22:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I once read about an inteigent moonbalde with spell like powers of 8 level. Ill try to find that info agin, i think it was somthing with Myth Dranor. But until now i think that the Blade of One Thousand Broken Dreams is the most power full.

You're likely thinking of the Starym Moonblade, which was detailed in Volo's Guide to All Thing Magical (formerly a suppressed work ). It's available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

You're likely thinking of the Starym Moonblade, which was detailed in Volo's Guide to All Thing Magical (formerly a suppressed work ). It's available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Okay now I'm convinced Woolly is under a Geas. Oh and looky I am now a learned scribe.
On topic though I'd put the moonblades under artifacts because their potential power is considerable. Otherwise I agree with the others it's not the size of the sword it's the way you wield it

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Darkmoon also known as Starym Moonblade. Thanks Wooly Rupert

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: