Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Potion Miscibility
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  21:23:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do you remember the 1st Ed. rules for mixing potions, either by intermingling or drinking two potions very quickly? It could cause funny effects from permanent effects to actually killing the imbiber.

I was wondering, why was it not converted in to later editions? And are you (playing the 2nd/3.x Ed.) is still using it today anyhow?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:13:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty certain it was in 2E. I think it was chucked out the window for simplicity's sake, in 3E. Though, if I was DM'ing, I'd happily keep those rules in place.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:20:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to hear that - I loved it when playing 1st Ed. However, we had a group decission on taking the new 3.0 rules as they are/were - with no add ins or changes. that ment also - no potion miscibility.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:20:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still use them from time to time as well even in current rules. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:24:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this previous April as part of the April Fool's day articles, they revamped the rules for 3.5, which you can find here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  22:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people are going to be very surprised soon.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  23:46:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

And this previous April as part of the April Fool's day articles, they revamped the rules for 3.5, which you can find here:

That explains it! I knew I'd read those more recently than my last perusal thru the 2E DMG... I just couldn't remember where I'd read them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  01:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. I think this may well find a way into my games.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  01:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never liked the potion miscibility rules. That's probably because I gamed with a couple of "gentlmen" who were very hard nosed about using the rules "exactly as written!!!"

Of course, that meant that using a healing potion of any sort while under the effects of another potion resulted in a roll on the dreaded chart.

I lost several characters to healing potion explosions. It was one of the reasons I started DMing in the first place.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  03:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch
I was wondering, why was it not converted in to later editions?
Because randomness is hard to 'balance' and takes power away from players.
quote:
However, we had a group decission on taking the new 3.0 rules as they are/were - with no add ins or changes. that ment also - no potion miscibility.
So the rules trump the Realms in your campaign? Boooo.

Edited by - Faraer on 04 Dec 2006 04:00:47
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  07:14:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

HA! That is just great! Thanks a lot KEJR for this shared information.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  07:18:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch
[quote]However, we had a group decission on taking the new 3.0 rules as they are/were - with no add ins or changes. that ment also - no potion miscibility.
So the rules trump the Realms in your campaign? Boooo.

The rules are just what the game goes by - by stickin to zthe core rules the unique atmosphere that is the FR is not necessarily and immediatly stripped away, IMO.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000