Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Frostfell - Chapters 27 - 32 (Finale)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  04:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
Just finished the book, and I definately enjoyed the book overall.

Thanks very much, sir! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJRI could definately see Hro'nyewachu as a singularly powerful fey creature, and I think that fits well with the original idea of the Lythari being close to the fey powers even over the Seldarine.

That was definitely my own view, but I didn't want the book to set that in stone. I wanted to leave it vague enough that readers could draw their own conclusions, gamers could come up with their own interpretation, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR Just to make sure that I read this right though, Lendri did use a hybrid form at the end, didn't he?

Not really. As I understand it, lythari aren't able to use the hybrid form.

In "game terms," Lendri is a Wildrunner. See Races of the Wild pages 139-144. What was going on during part of that last fight was right off page 140 of RotW: "In this frenzy [Primal Scream]...your jaw elongates and your teeth become razor-sharp; you gain a bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage. You can wield a weapon in one or both hands at your normal attack bonus and make a secondary bite attack...." There's more, but that's the gist of it.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR[/i]One thing that it made me wonder is if lythari DO have a hybrid form, but its "taboo" to use it.

As I understand it, lythari do not have a hybrid form, but I defer completely to Mr. Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham on that one.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  04:48:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark S.

Not really. As I understand it, lythari aren't able to use the hybrid form.

In "game terms," Lendri is a Wildrunner. See Races of the Wild pages 139-144. What was going on during part of that last fight was right off page 140 of RotW: "In this frenzy [Primal Scream]...your jaw elongates and your teeth become razor-sharp; you gain a bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage. You can wield a weapon in one or both hands at your normal attack bonus and make a secondary bite attack...." There's more, but that's the gist of it.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR[/i]One thing that it made me wonder is if lythari DO have a hybrid form, but its "taboo" to use it.

As I understand it, lythari do not have a hybrid form, but I defer completely to Mr. Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham on that one.

Actually, if it was the class feature of the Wildrunner PrC, then I'd much rather go with that. One of the things I have always liked about lythari is that they aren't just "elven werewolves," so I like that this is the explanation.

Again, very good book, and I think you did an excellent job of not just telling a good story, but telling a good story in the Realms. Here's to hoping you get a chance to tell more of them, and thanks for your reply.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  05:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the first chapter/prologue that Wizards posted on the product page for this and was hooked already. I had to wait while longer to actually get this book (we're always a little behind here in my country), but it was well worth it. I finished this one in about two evenings of reading.

I liked the culture shock, dramatic scene changes (always leaving that little "cliff hanger"), interesting protagonists and great story all round. I felt the ending battle with “the five”--did anyone else feel like they resembled ring wraiths?--was a little bit flat, especially since Erun and the desiccated apprentice seemed to feature a lot stronger than their leader (I forget his name now, the one who originally betrayed Arantar) who was supposed to be a lot more powerful.

Apart from that, the rest of the book crackled in frosty goodness. More back story would have been better, but I actually liked the fact that you could care for most of the characters even if they remained enigmas throughout the book. I didn’t really connect to the belkagan, but I guess it was his duality that made me dislike him from the start and I just never got over it. Some back story to explain his motives more would probably have helped in that regard.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book today. Wonderful reading--again, very different in a good way and I enjoyed the focus on characters, their history and their interaction with each other.

The final battle with the sorcerers DID leave me cold though (pun intended ;)). There was just so much going on, and since only two of the sorcerers were named, it got hard to tell which sorcerer got enveloped in flames, which fell into the water, and so forth. Also, while I liked how Jalan and Gyaidun were able to bring Erun back to hs old self, how come they couldn't do that with any of the other sorcerers? Those guys were, after all, supposed to be of the same celestial bloodine as Erun was.

Anyway, I appreciated the loose ends that were left open--it's not entirely clear that Erun will be made the next belkagen, because the oracle is not predictable and she may truly "have his blood" instead. The reference to the soul as a kind of "fire" was lovely as well, considering the rest of the story is so...well, cold.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  03:52:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall, I really liked the book, and it definately "worked" for me, but at the same time, you are right, the final battle did get a bit confusing and difficult to follow. Not a fatal flaw by any means, but yes, its there.
Go to Top of Page

Trizzt08
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  10:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Trizzt08's Homepage Send Trizzt08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very Good book. It'd be nice to see them in another book sometime. Great stuff man keep up the good work

My god says you can't do that
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  17:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trizzt08

Very Good book. It'd be nice to see them in another book sometime. Great stuff man keep up the good work

Thanks for the kind words.

Two of the characters from FROSTFELL make an appearance in my REALMS OF WAR short story.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  00:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Two of the characters from FROSTFELL make an appearance in my REALMS OF WAR short story.

It will be nice to see characters from this book again.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  00:49:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I really enjoyed the book, so its good to hear that the characters will be back in some capacity . . . thanks for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
811 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  21:33:14  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than Blackstaff, this was the only book in the wizards series that totally captured me while I was reading it.

Kudos for an excellent book.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2446 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  18:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've wanted to read the book since I saw the cover, and I'm glad it lived up to the expectations. It's so nice when a new author (or an experienced author, I'm not picky) actually does his homework, and it's especially nice when they then just blend it in. The way the Tuigan were handled, the introduction of a new lythari culture, the hints of fallen empires, it was all nicely handled. I agree with whoever said above that game elements were blended in nicely so that they didn't hit you over the head with them.

It took me a while to decide what I thought about the flowering tree scene, since it at first seemed like a blatantly obvious Return of the King rip-off. I think the reason I finally decided I didn't mind was the hag character that played off the tree in the scene was so completely different from anything in Tolkien that it was ok. But if she'd been anyone else, I think I'd have disliked the scene greatly.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2446 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  18:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've wanted to read the book since I saw the cover, and I'm glad it lived up to the expectations. It's so nice when a new author (or an experienced author, I'm not picky) actually does his homework, and it's especially nice when they then just blend it in. The way the Tuigan were handled, the introduction of a new lythari culture, the hints of fallen empires, it was all nicely handled. I agree with whoever said above that game elements were blended in nicely so that they didn't hit you over the head with them.

It took me a while to decide what I thought about the flowering tree scene, since it at first seemed like a blatantly obvious Return of the King rip-off. I think the reason I finally decided I didn't mind was the hag character that played off the tree in the scene was so completely different from anything in Tolkien that it was ok. But if she'd been anyone else, I think I'd have disliked the scene greatly.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  18:11:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

PPS. I wish you had put the phrasebook in the beginning because I didn't notice it until the end . :)

Duly noted. If it comes up again, I'll tell the editor.

Would just like to point out that Mark S. was true to his word here, as the phrasebook is at the beginning of "Sentinelspire".

KUDOS and as well Frostfell was an excellent read. Am enjoying Sentinelspire 80 pages in so far also.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  07:19:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A nice book. I had fun reading it! It's good to see how a lesser wizard can still manage to rise above an impasse, with seemingly insufficient magic on hand, facing villains almost as old as time.

I have a question, Mark. I find that hag who sucked fish bones and wanted to eat the humans quite mysterious and interesting. Is she your own creation? Did she appear in other books? Why is she afraid of the belkagen? Can you tell me more about her?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000