Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 More on the -Sword Mountains - CotCC keep out!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bob-san
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  19:28:50  Show Profile  Visit bob-san's Homepage Send bob-san a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail and well met once more.

I'm seeking a little more information on the Sword Mountains that I cannot seem to find in the Lost Empires book.

I'm looking for any sort of history on that region.

Any dwarven clans call that place home centuries ago?
What was the area called back then?

Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  23:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob-san

Hail and well met once more.

I'm seeking a little more information on the Sword Mountains that I cannot seem to find in the Lost Empires book.

I'm looking for any sort of history on that region.

Any dwarven clans call that place home centuries ago?
What was the area called back then?

Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

Well theres the Stoneshaft clan (See Elaine Cunninghams novel Thornhold)

Theres was also the Hall of Whirling Blades a temple to Haela Bright Axe (now occupied by Orcs)

In 927 an Orc Sharmen founds the Orc Realm of Uruth Ukrypt in the Sword Mountains

In 934 The orcs wipe out the Gnome settlements in the Sword Mountains

In 1026 Waterdeeps forces breaks the back of Uruth Ukrypt at the siege of waterdeep and then finishs them off at a battle at stump bog
this puts Uruth Ukrypt into decline (This is the last refernece to Uruth Ukrypt in the Old North timeline in LEOF)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 30 Nov 2006 23:27:14
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  23:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at George Krashos's North timeline.

The southern Sword Mountains were within Phalorm, but I can't think of a major dwarven kingdom they were part of. But small, isolated holds are likely. This isn't my field, though.

Edited by - Faraer on 30 Nov 2006 23:38:02
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  23:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a clan of Sea faring Dwarves who had a kingdom called Haunghdannar which existed in the mountains east of Leilon (See Dwarves Deep)

The most significant sized Dwarven city near the Sword Mountains would have been Gauntulgrym but its beneath the crags south Mirabar

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  11:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Erics Boyds Dungeon module The Fireplace level one of the villians lackies is from Melarrin "An Abandoned shield dwarf hold in the Sword Mountains"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  03:14:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

In Erics Boyds Dungeon module The Fireplace level one of the villians lackies is from Melarrin "An Abandoned shield dwarf hold in the Sword Mountains"

Note this is the name for the unnamed dwarven hold mentioned in the Mintiper article in Dragon a long ways back (issue #184 or thereabouts).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  03:26:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Note this is the name for the unnamed dwarven hold mentioned in the Mintiper article in Dragon a long ways back (issue #184 or thereabouts).

--Eric

Is it the article about Mintiper, in 187? I didn't find that reference in there...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  03:28:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going from memory... I think it was actually #187.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  04:09:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

--Eric

Is it the article about Mintiper, in 187? I didn't find that reference in there...

It's in the Mintiper article, but in the discussion of his female sidekick. Look at the bit where she steals the dragon's hoard. Note that it's not named; I created the name a while back and have dropped it in a couple of places.

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  05:18:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's in the Mintiper article, but in the discussion of his female sidekick. Look at the bit where she steals the dragon's hoard. Note that it's not named; I created the name a while back and have dropped it in a couple of places.

I guess that's why I didn't see it. I was looking for a specific, named reference... I trust you're referring to this passage:

quote:
Asilther is famous for her theft of almost the entire hoard of the black dragon Shammagar, who used to lair in the mountains north of Waterdeep -- and has since moved every last coin of its treasure to one of the islands offshore, somewhere off the Sword Coast (exactly which one, surviving inquirers have not seen fit to reveal).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  05:35:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I trust you're referring to this passage ...

Yep.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  19:53:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest looking at the maps and descriptions in the boxed set entitled The North. It's available a free pdf from Wizards.com, and it supplies MANY names for locations which are just specks on other maps. Volo's Guide is also a good supplement, with Elminster's "editing" added to correct Volo's errors.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000