Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 *Scratches head* What year it it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  21:05:07  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
OK so I know it's probably been printed before, and if I want to spend hours searching through the forums here or on WotC site I can, but
Can some one give me the current year in FR.
And also, the last five year titles would rock...

Year of the rabid weasle?
Year of the crotchety Cobbler?

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  21:33:32  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know the current year is 1373 the Year of Rougue Dragons. The last 5 years were:
the Banner 1368
the Gauntlet 1369
the Tankard 1370
the Unstrung Harp 1371
Wild Magic 1372
Rogue Dragons 1373

Which you will be able to get and several more by looking for "A grand history of the Forgotten Realms" that is offered here at Candlekeep.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Edited by - turox on 28 Nov 2006 21:35:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  21:44:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The full Roll of Years is also available in various formats right here on Candlekeep, and in the nifty Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool. The resource Turox mentioned, A Grand History of the Realms, is a wonderful one with or without the included Roll of Years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  21:49:01  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. You all rock. Like earth elementals down stone stairs!

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:11:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's actually 1375 since the Horde article in Dragon advanced the year, before that, it was obviously 1374.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The latest year of the most recent sources is 1374 DR, the Year of Lightning Storms, not 1373.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we count the year simply by the latest one that published material is set in?
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Do we count the year simply by the latest one that published material is set in?

Yes. Although there are a couple of cases of things being set in the future - the epilogue of the Last Mythal series and the novel told by Volo, the name of which escapes me currently.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the end of The Last Mythal series is a "flash foward" to 1380. If you want to get really technical, one could probably argue that's the current year of the Realms (Or that Elaith story set in 1390).

I'm happy not really knowing what the specific date is--I think 1374-1375 is fine. Besides, just because WotC needs to follow a strict timeline for their own purposes doesn't mean everyone else has to.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Nov 2006 22:41:25
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I haven't seen the Horde article yet.

The date of the latest sources is the only thing 'current date' can practically mean, it's a publishing convenience. I don't think of the Realms as having a current date at all, even though the Earth–Toril connection might imply one.

Edited by - Faraer on 28 Nov 2006 22:50:49
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

Yes. Although there are a couple of cases of things being set in the future - the epilogue of the Last Mythal series and the novel told by Volo, the name of which escapes me currently.

A novel told by Volo?

Sounds like fun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  00:49:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

A novel told by Volo?

Sounds like fun

I'm assuming Reefy is referring to Once Around the Realms?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  13:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm assuming Reefy is referring to Once Around the Realms?

I think so. If that's the one set in the future that there's a canon controversy about. I know Kuje has said the events will become canon when it reaches that date. It might be that it's not narrated by Volo and I'm mixing up two different books though.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  16:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per the Wizards.com lists, Once Around the Realms is set 1367 and 'unknown if factual or apocryphal'. The Double Diamond Triangle Saga is set 1377 and is apocryphal.

Edited by - Faraer on 29 Nov 2006 16:48:46
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  17:29:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually WOTC has said that the events of the Double Diamond are not apocryphal. I have the email stating otherwise since parts of the events are mentioned in Monsters of Faerun. We've had this debate before, WOTC says they will be when 1377 comes around, and so the events of those novels are canon when we get to that year.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Nov 2006 17:37:25
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  17:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right then.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  22:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Double Diamond I was thinking of.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  00:12:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Actually WOTC has said that the events of the Double Diamond are not apocryphal. I have the email stating otherwise since parts of the events are mentioned in Monsters of Faerun. We've had this debate before, WOTC says they will be when 1377 comes around, and so the events of those novels are canon when we get to that year.

And, as I recall, I posted James Wyatt's (one of the co-authors of MoF) brief reply to my email about this, which also supports WotC's viewpoint on the timeline.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  00:22:55  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See above:

This is why I asked originally. From dates thrown around in various books, to articles and postings...I got confused.

Thank you for helping me clear the muddy waters into just slightly murky.

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  02:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucianb

Thank you for helping me clear the muddy waters into just slightly murky.

Slightly murky is often as good as it gets.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000