Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Welcome to Hell: Fiendish codex 2
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  22:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Morbiczer over at Enworld is posting excerpts from FC2

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=180000&page=3&pp=40

He starts answering questions about half way down the page

Contents page

Chapter 1: All about Devils 7-32
The Economy of Hell
Promotion and DEmotion
Soul Harvesting
The Blood War
Devils as Monsters
Devils and Demons
A DM's Guide to Demons
Mortals and Devils
Corrupt Acts

Chapter 2: The Nine Hells 33-76
Each layer has its on section, built up as follows:
Lord of the Layer
Important Locations
Divine Realms (if there are any)
Encounters on the Layer

Chapter 3: Game Rules 77-106
New Race: Hellbred (When someone dies, and repents his sins in the moment of death, they can become helbred. They don't go to either Heaven or Hell. They fight against evil in Hell, and some will find final salvation and ascend to celestial planes, but most fail. The concept doesn't impress me much.
New Feats: 27 Feats, inculding divine feats and a new type, devil-touched feats.
Prestige Classes
New Spells: 21 spells, including 15 Investiture spells, which give you some aspects of a devil, but you become fatigued for a minute when the spell runs out.

Chapter 4: Devils 107-138 (monster section)

Chapter 5: The Lords of the Nine 141-158

Aspect of Bel, Lord of the First - CR 20
Aspect of Dispater, Lord of the Second - CR 21
Aspect of Mammon, Lord of the Third - CR 21
Aspect of Belial, Lord of the Fourth - CR 21
Aspect of Fierna, Lord of the Fourth - CR 19 (This layer has two lords.)
Aspect of Levistus, Lord of the Fifth - CR 21
Aspect of Glasya, Lord of the Sixth - CR 22
Aspect of Baalzebul, Lord of the Seventh - CR 23
Aspect of Mephistoheles, Lord of the Eighth - CR 24
Aspect of Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth - CR 27

New Devils

Abishai (white, black, green, blue, and red) - CR 4-8 - Servants of Tiamat
Amnizu - CR 7 - Guardian devils who oversee traffic through the gates of hell.
Assassin Devil (Dogai) - CR 11 - Skilled killers.
Ayperobos Swarm - CR 12 - A swarm of Diminutive devils.
Harvester Devil (Falxugon) - CR 7 - Seductive schemers.
Hellfire Engine - CR 19 - Artillery used in the Blood War.
Kalabon - CR 1/2 - Devils spawned from the carcass of the Hag Countess.
Legion Devil (merregon) - CR 3 - Hell's weakest food soldiers.
Malebranche - CR 14 - Devils who serve other, more intelligent devils.
Narzugon - CR 5 - Elite cavalry of the baatezu.
Nupperibo - CR 2 - Tormented devils, ho have been demoted by their masters.
Orthon - CR 8 - Foot soldiers in Hell's armies.
Paeliryon - CR 18 - Crafty baatezu that manage vast spy networks across the planes.
Pain Devil (Excruciarch) - CR 7 - Diabolical torturers.
Pleasure Devil (Brachina) - CR 11 - Hell's version of the succubus.
Spined Devil (Spinagon) - CR 4 - Small fiends, sometimes used as spys by the archdevils.
Steel Devil (Bueroza) - CR 6 - Soldier in the Blood War.
Xerfilstyx - CR 15 - Terrifying devils living in the River Styx.

There are four prestige classes:

Hellbreaker Thieves who specialize in infiltrating infernal strongholds and relieving them of their treasure.

Hellfire Warlock Warlocks who use hellfire, a dangerous energy found only in the Nine Hells.

Hellreaver Good warriors who fight devils ang bet bonuses against them.

Soulgard Mostly clerics or paladins who try to save good souls who have been tricked by devils in to servitude. (Or something like that.)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 26 Nov 2006 22:27:50

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  00:14:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, undoubtedly, the Lords of the Nine will have complete stat blocks...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  00:36:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

From what was said on that thread, only their aspects do, not their forms themselves.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  00:41:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

From what was said on that thread, only their aspects do, not their forms themselves.....

Originally, that's what I was thinking... However, I'm finding myself having serious doubts that WotC wouldn't "miss this opportunity" to update the Lords of the Nine stats from the BoVD.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  01:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not real impressed with Wizards introducing CR 20+ Aspects it goes against what the aspects where origionally intended to be ie a deity specfic being that you could summon with a Planar ally spell (Regular/Greater or Lesser subject to the Aspects CR)

A CR 20+ Aspect is not going to be summonable with a Planar ally spell and lets face it an Outsider that powerful is really an "avatar" not an aspect

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  03:41:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I am still definately looking forward to this book, I am a little confused as to why now, after the Fiendish Codex I came out, they would make this change to aspects and what does or doesn't represent their actual forms. So demon lords have physical forms and lesser aspects, but the Lords of the Nine are too powerful to stat and have "avatar" class aspects?

There is still plenty of interesting material in this, and I look forward to seeing the book, but I do dislike a change in format between similar books in a series.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  15:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book appears to be awesome! I will expect the reviews, and probably, will acquire it in the beggining of the next year.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  15:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it looks like the Hag Countess lord of the 6th was murdered and replaced by Asmodeus's daughter

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  17:23:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I thought that was what the erinyes was...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  17:30:48  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good, since my players are in Undermountain I have a perfect opportunity to try out some of these new devils I can't wait.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  23:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

This is good, since my players are in Undermountain I have a perfect opportunity to try out some of these new devils I can't wait.

You refering to that broken coin that when its put back together opens a gate to the Nine hells?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:48:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I thought that was what the erinyes was...

They are.

Apparently FC2 intends to add something to the mix.

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  02:10:12  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

You refering to that broken coin that when its put back together opens a gate to the Nine hells?

Just one of many opportunities

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  02:41:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed the first one and look forward to the eventual Yugoloth supplement.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  23:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting to see if they make any reference to the events in Elminster in Hell particularly Mystra's incursion into Avernus and the death of a good half dozen "Arch Devil Children"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  13:58:08  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It will be interesting to see if they make any reference to the events in Elminster in Hell particularly Mystra's incursion into Avernus and the death of a good half dozen "Arch Devil Children"

I was thinking that too...but I doubt it...

I want to see if there will be any hint of Asmodeous being the uber-overpower he was in Guide to Hell

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  15:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on who did the design work we might see some old cosmology conitnuity, and thus El and Mystra (and the Simbul!) kicking up some major dust in the nine hells.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  17:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I doubt any Arch Devil Children in Hell are "good".

I would suspect that the Pleasure Devil does resemble the soft, cuddly, evil seductress devil (like succubus) while the Erinyes are turned into a more martial, amazon, kick-butt type of naked devils that kinda seduce weight-lifters and men who like to be dominated on the side.

I never had the the planescape or any 2e stuff, but I still have Ed's original 2-part column from Dragon, waaaayy back. I am curious how they will compare.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  22:27:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards have posted the TOC for FC2

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061201a

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  00:31:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... The ToC seems to indicate that the individual Lords do in fact receive some specific attention -- whether it's stat'd attention, remains to be seen.

And I'm glad to see Geryon gets some ink as well -- he's always been one of my favorite "lost" Lords.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Dec 2006 00:34:59
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  00:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... The ToC seems to indicate that the individual Lords do in fact receive some specific attention -- whether it's stat'd attention, remains to be seen.

And I'm glad to see Geryon gets some ink as well -- he's always been one of my favorite "lost" Lords.

The Lords are stat'd as CR 21-27 ASPECTS (Which I think is an absolutely stupid idea as Aspects are suppose to be summonable with Planar Ally spells which you certainly cant do with 20+ Aspect)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  00:48:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. However the individual Lords themselves are also detailed as part of each section on each of the Nine Hells. I'm wondering whether they're be stats for them with each of those.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  11:13:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards have posted an interview with the FC2 authors up on their site

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20061204a

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  15:19:58  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm,no info on the ancient baatorians. I thought that the nupperibo were the ancient baatorians, or what's left of them. But the tome looks really cool and I'm very much looking forward to it. The artwork of A Paladin in Hell is one of my favorite pieces of D&D art, I hope it's in the Codex

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  23:42:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I can't pass up the chance for some speculation on the ancient baatorians...

I've sometimes thought that kytons were a form the Ancient Baatorians had adapted in modern times. Jangling Hiter has always been there, though the baatezu deny it. The humanoid shape the kytons have today is a new thing, however. As I see it, Kytons probably don't reproduce using nupperibos anymore. The advanced nupperibo they have chained in their city may be there in hope it will become an Ancient worthy of their worship.

Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  09:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, you say it mentions any divine realms that can be found on a layer. Would this be Greyhawk realms only? Or will they finally take the opportunity to update the locations of some of the missing realms of FR deities whose realms were in the Nine Hells during 2e?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  15:28:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paj

Hmm, you say it mentions any divine realms that can be found on a layer. Would this be Greyhawk realms only? Or will they finally take the opportunity to update the locations of some of the missing realms of FR deities whose realms were in the Nine Hells during 2e?

From what it looks like on ENworld, it's Greyhawk only unlike the 1st one that had some of the Realms deities back into the Abyss.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  09:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excerpts from FC2 can be found here

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  03:38:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll likely be able to use this in the Realms, but some sections of the book won't work the same way for the Realms, others with be virtually identical, which is essentially what I did with the Abyss from the Fiendish Codex I, though it was a bit more "user friendly" for this sort of thing than this book appears to be. I'm sure I'll get some good ideas from it, but I was hoping for more of the "psuedo-2e if you want it" approach, as well as a few more nods toward some of the work that Ed did about the Nine Hells (such as the exiled arch devils . . .)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  04:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The authors mentioned that they had read Eds work while researching the book so it will be interesting to see how much of Ed material they included

God Street is one thing that cant work in the Realms especially how FC2 says that LE gods just appear in the Nine Hells from nothingness

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  04:10:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The authors mentioned that they had read Eds work while researching the book so it will be interesting to see how much of Ed material they included

God Street is one thing that cant work in the Realms especially how FC2 says that LE gods just appear in the Nine Hells from nothingness

Yeah, God Street was definately one element that jumped out that would have to be excised to use the book in the Realms. Kind of an interesting concept, but doesn't work for the setting.

I hope that they did work some of Ed's exiles into the book, but I didn't see any specific mention of them, specifically when mentioning Avernus.

Speaking of Avernus, I would have loved to have seen someone run with Eric Boyd's really cool "bridge" of Tiamat's fall from power, her temporary state as an "archfiend" which allowed her to be the master of Avernus, and then her rise to power, because to me it tied all of dispartiate lore on her together nicely.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000