Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 New encounter design format
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  13:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What does it look like?

I don't read many adventures...make that new adventures since I have a backlog of very good old adventures.

Does anyone know what the new format looks like and/or can supply a graphic of some sorts, cuz I'm really interested in this (lazy arse that I am I wanna get things easier all the time )

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

What does it look like?

I don't read many adventures...make that new adventures since I have a backlog of very good old adventures.

Does anyone know what the new format looks like and/or can supply a graphic of some sorts, cuz I'm really interested in this (lazy arse that I am I wanna get things easier all the time )

Is that the one that's in "Secrets of the Howling Scourge"? I've got it on order and expect to find it when I get home this evening, so I can have a look at it tonight and post tomorrow if no-one else gets in first.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.

Edited by - Bluenose on 22 Nov 2006 14:25:29
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, mate!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you talking about the page format that WotC is used in both the new Ravenloft module and in "Secrets of the Howling Scourge."

The layouts for those adventures seperates information used in combat (stat blocks, terrain, possible skill check values and other DC's related to the enviroment, etc. ) into a seperate section - apart from flavor text like room description. The combat sections of text are at the end of each chapter in the Ravenloft module. I don't recall how the do it in the Scourge module, sorry.

Personally, I think the layout is unnecessarily repeditive and fragmented in the Ravenloft module. Bits of room description (like mentioning of the presence of furniture) are missing from the flavor text section.

But turn to the combat description, and the furniture is described along with several different DC's for tumbling off of it and or throwing it as a weapon. Stat blocks for re-occuring monsters like Strahd are repeated several times in the text. Since Strahd is a complicated and major monster with several forms, each having different stats, you might imaging this takes up a lot of space - you'd be correct!!!

Perhaps it's just the fact that I've been DMing the game since 1978 - but I don't need pre-generated DC's for every possible action my players take. If they do something unexpected, I can roll with the flow. I also don't need stat blocks for Strahd's wolf form repeated in three different places in the book. Give them to me once, and I'll copy them if necessary. It smacks of wasted space and filler text.

This duplication might be necessary for beginning DM's. In a module like Scourge, it might even be benificial. But, beginning DM's shouldn't be running Strahd in Ravenloft Castle, so it was (in my mind) a poor decision on WotC's part to use the new style of layout for that particular module.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  16:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I've been DMing since 1985 or 86, and I am lazy :)

Sounds like a good new format, I have to check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  10:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scourge's format is pretty much like that Halidan describes in the Ravenloft module. Most encounters have a one or two page description covering everything in the area. There's a section at the start describing it, with boxed flavour text for DMs. Then you get a section with things the PCs might interact with. This might be NPCs who they can talk to, and it describes what those NPCs look like/are doing, and what those NPCs might do for them. If they are hostile it describes the tactics those NPCs will use. It tells you about traps, with the different ways to detect them, the DC to disarm them, and the damage they'll do if you don't. All the stats for the NPCs in an area are on the same page. You also get a map of the area, enlarged from the one in the endplates but not big enough to use with miniatures without enlarging it. The encounter ends by telling you how many XPs you get for it.

The thing I like most about it is the map of the area being included with the description. I prefer that to looking back and forth between maps and descriptions. I don't like the way they repeat stats for creatures. There are at least five seperate encounters with goblins, and you get a full set of stats each time. I'd also prefer not to have check boxes for marking off damage, since I don't like writing in books. I'm also fairly sure that no-one needs to be told that awarding 300XP for an encounter means that you give 300XP if there's one PC, 150 each if there's two, 100 each for three, etc. I might be being optimistic here but even novice DMs surely don't need to be told that.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic