Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Creating a personality
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  12:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Delz, that was hilarious reading

If anyone is having trouble designing a character I can strongly recommend playing a Cleric. There are loads of character options but more importantly the dogma and attitude of a Deity can strongly affect how the character behaves, and gives you a brilliant 'framework' to base your character around. The minor details can then be put in easily to make them a bit different.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  13:16:34  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Thanks Delz, that was hilarious reading

I aim to please.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  08:08:59  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Alignment to me is nothing more than an aid in role playing and will be chucked out as soon as possible. The system is to narrow to really capture a personality anyway and can merely give an idea of how the person thinks.

Its not so strange to base a character on elements of one self as it is easiest to play something you understand and know. Now, if you base a character on certain aspects of your individual personality and history ( which gives one quite a few to choose from) I don't see that as something in opposition to role playing.

THis I agree with wholly. It isn't strange at all to base your character on at least part of ones self.
more to the point of your original question,

If I am ggenerally a good perosn, And I was going to play an evil character, I would take a situation and usually do the opposite of my gut instinct.
From there you get into semantics ad alot and I mean ALOT of facets of alignment/personality.. but you get the point.

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  01:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Victor,

I do not understand why you criticized others, while your own character does not appear to show any personality beyond common fantasy cliches. So your character changed his alignment, and his personality changed. What makes him so special? An ex-assassin from Zhentil Keep who is now tormented by his past and trying to redeem his soul. Hey, show me a gamer who hasn't played 'tormented souls' and 'reluctant heroes'.
Besides, I never liked D&D characters who have Real World names… Victor O'Graygor (on the basis of his name) sounds more at home in the present day anglo-american culture than the Realms.
I ask again - why is your character any better than any of mine? Or why would you think yourself better at roleplaying than anyone else?

Wooly had a great point when he said that usually we take a familiar trait or aspect for our characters - something that we can IDENTIFY with easily. Sometimes we might also use an ideal trait that we would want to possess ourselves (i.e. brave, gallant, outspoken, etc.)
Then you can start adding more 'building blocks' to his/her personality. If that is not roleplaying, what is? Even if I chose to play an exact (fantasy world) copy of myself, wouldn't that be also roleplaying?
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think there are 'right' or 'wrong' ways to create and roleplay your character.

And Victor, technically actors don't roleplay; they act.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  13:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As i said erlyer in this thread. Sorry it wasent my intension to criticized you. My english isent good because it isent my native lanuage. I dont consider myself a better at roleplaying than anyone else here, i just wanted to hear youre opinion abot creating a personality.

Again i am sorry.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 02 Dec 2006 14:25:14
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  22:24:10  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Victor,

To-play-a-role and acting how is that two different things? Please tell me, I genuinely would like to know?

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Edited by - Zimme on 02 Dec 2006 22:25:06
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  23:00:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zimme

quote:

Victor,

To-play-a-role and acting how is that two different things? Please tell me, I genuinely would like to know?

Note that I said technically. I don't think that many actors would themselves define their work/craft as "roleplaying". Certainly, they "play roles", but it has a different meaning than "roleplaying".

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  20:03:31  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zimme

quote:

Victor,

Note that I said technically. I don't think that many actors would themselves define their work/craft as "roleplaying". Certainly, they "play roles", but it has a different meaning than "roleplaying".

the meaning of the words, ok I get you now, or rather I get your interpretation of it.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000