Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How long was Elminster in Hell?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  09:50:35  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear fellow scribes!

Beforehand I want to point out that this thread shall ONLY answer my question. It is NOT my intention to discuss the novel itself in length. Please keep that in mind. Thanks.

So now to my question:
As it was stated on page 1 of the book by the author himself, the novel takes place in the Year of Wild Magic 1372 DR. However, I wonder how many hours, days, weeks or month Elminster has to endure the torments of his capturer?

Any ideas?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  11:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You got to remember that time may not flow at the same speed in hells as it does in the Prime. So what in the Prime may be only few day can be tendays in hell (or the other way around).

Someone who has the Return of the Archwizards trilogy and/or Elminster in Hell could answer your question.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11699 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  21:15:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>You got to remember that time may not flow at the same speed in hells as it does in the >>Prime. So what in the Prime may be only few day can be tendays in hell (or the other way >>around).

No, there is no difference in time flow between the FR nine hells and the prime material. That would be listed as a planar trait in the Player's Guide to Faerun.

As to how long Elminster was there, dunno, but if you put in the research I'd love to know.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  11:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If i recall correctly, Elminster was not back till the end of the archwizards trilogy so it may have been quite a few months. My memory may be quite rusty, can someone refresh it for me?
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  01:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought he was in Nergal's clutches for a week or so at the most... maybe a month. The majority of his disappearance was due to his recovery, both physically and mentally, which I believe took several months.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 19 Nov 2006 01:15:05
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  04:14:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed--after what El went through, it only makes sense that he'd need monthes to recover.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  14:30:18  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This link has some information about when the events in Elminster in Hell end, how long it took him to recover and such. Hope it helps out.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-elwhere.htm

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  21:59:14  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was in Hell just long enough for the Shades to be brought back to Faerun without him having anything to say about it...and not a moment longer. Apart from that the dates are pretty insignificant, since it was just a contrived way to explain him out of the story.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  11:12:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sparhawk42

This link has some information about when the events in Elminster in Hell end, how long it took him to recover and such. Hope it helps out.

The article/text linked here is signed by 'Ed'.
Now, I wonder if this is an authentic text by the one and only, the true 'Ed', the one that also adds tidbits of lore via THO at these very boards, Mr. Ed Greenwood?

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  11:15:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I answered the question myself by following the only link provided on that page to the main pages from the sages where it reads:

'From time to time, Ed Greenwood and others weigh in on various discussions on the Forgotten Realms Mailing List, clarifying points of Realmslore and other errata. Gathered below are some of their answers and speculations. Minor changes have been made to correct spelling and protect the identities of the innocent :-).'

All said.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  11:20:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sparhawk42

Thanks for the link. It does provide the answer it seems, to how long Elminster is not actively involved in the ongoing dealings and political affairs on Fearun, as in Ed's article is stated:

'So regarding Elminster's whereabouts, we're left with almost all of 1372 and the first few months of 1373 to account for, and for almost all of that time he would indeed be absent from Shadowdale.'

However, it still leaves the question open, as to how long he actually remained in hell!

*continuing the research* Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought mystra healed elminster back to almost full strength immediately?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  17:53:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the physical healing in the world won't affect what's been done to a person psychologically.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  18:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the loss of memories that make you what you are may be worse than the mind-rape.

The link is from a reply Ed made to a question from Crust on the rasalvatore.com boards (which I recommend you avoid unless you think moderators should reply to helpful, informed posts with ad hominem insults).

Edited by - Faraer on 22 Nov 2006 20:16:26
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  22:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good memory, Faraer! I do remember that response, but I was under the impression that he might have cut/pasted that from some other existing text, rather than get all into that as a casual response to my question.

I also remember feeling very privileged to get a response from him (if it actually was him). I was somewhat star-struck.

Anyway, Ergdusch, judging from the novel, I would guess that El was trapped in Avernus for about one week, perhaps less (contradicting my previous post, but I stand by this). I didn't notice any hints at long periods of time elapsing during El's encounter with Nergal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 24 Nov 2006 22:55:41
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it was Ed, Crust. Trust me.
And yes, you're right: about a week. Eight or nine days (I think Ed once said "bits of nine days, if you include all the scenes").
Ergdusch, does that cover it?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  22:44:02  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

All the physical healing in the world won't affect what's been done to a person psychologically.

Well..except that a simple heal spell removes all physical and mental (psychological) harm. If heal can undo feeblemind, insanity, or a dozen other magical ailments, then I am sure things like like miracle or Alter Reality or any of the other powers Mystra can call upon at will would trump whatever spellcraft was worked upon Elminster by an exiledArchdevil who was slain (twice) by the Simbul.

The reasons for why Elminster was gone and subsequently out of commission for much of the opening DR years of 3E wasnt intended to make sense...it was intended to explain Elminster out of the story so the Netherese Shadow Weave bad guys could be inserted into the campaign setting and safely rooted there without impediment.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  00:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember though that emotional pain can promote personal growth and learning. Not saying I disagree with anyone here, just saying that I like the idea of Elminster coming away from the experience having...learned something, perhaps?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Dec 2006 00:43:04
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  01:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic routinely (for the rich and high-level) curing mental harm is far too easy for drama, interesting characters, and the Realms as I know it. Either the spell as written doesn't exactly apply in the Realms, or there are major undisclosed reasons why it often isn't used (I favour the former).
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  12:20:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, it was Ed, Crust. Trust me.
And yes, you're right: about a week. Eight or nine days (I think Ed once said "bits of nine days, if you include all the scenes").
Ergdusch, does that cover it?
love,
THO

It does indeed. Thanks for chimming in on this THO.

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  16:01:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pleasure.
As for why a heal spell couldn't restore Elminster's sanity enough for him to "go on functioning normally," the reasons are these, according to Ed:

With the death of Mystra, much of her root memories survive in two entities: Elminster and Azuth (and some are held only by Azuth, whereas others are held only by Elminster). The dynamic nature of the Weave means its "anchors" are ever-changing, but must be numerous, and scores of Elminster's memories were among them.
So a heal spell couldn't fix him. It would be like trying to pull a screwdriver out of a lug nut on a fast-spinning car wheel, whilst racing the car at high speeds, to try to tighten ANOTHER lug nut on the same wheel. Bootstrapping, in other words.
What was needed instead was loving fellow Chosen "walking the pathways of El's mind" with him, stitching here and refocussing there, knitting it all back together.

So saith Ed. Make sense, fellow scribes?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  16:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved this book. I just finished it and it was a great read!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  23:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A pleasure.
As for why a heal spell couldn't restore Elminster's sanity enough for him to "go on functioning normally," the reasons are these, according to Ed:

With the death of Mystra, much of her root memories survive in two entities: Elminster and Azuth (and some are held only by Azuth, whereas others are held only by Elminster). The dynamic nature of the Weave means its "anchors" are ever-changing, but must be numerous, and scores of Elminster's memories were among them.
So a heal spell couldn't fix him. It would be like trying to pull a screwdriver out of a lug nut on a fast-spinning car wheel, whilst racing the car at high speeds, to try to tighten ANOTHER lug nut on the same wheel. Bootstrapping, in other words.
What was needed instead was loving fellow Chosen "walking the pathways of El's mind" with him, stitching here and refocussing there, knitting it all back together.

love,
THO

Yes...and it definitely makes for a more interesting story.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  06:45:34  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was about to say that yes, Mystra can no doubt stitch someone back up instantly after such a devil-induced ordeal, and that Elminster's memory loss is perhaps due to a greater problem here, such as him becoming too old to 'hold it together.' Perhaps the devil's actions, and the very difficult healing afterwards, just gave us a glimpse as to what a senile Elminster could become. Perhaps this is a wake-up call to some of the Chosen, who must perhaps start to formulate a plan for El's retirement, a contingency/emergency preparedness of sorts. I dread to see how dark the Realms could become with an instable Elminster on the loose... My guess is that El is way too honorable to succumb to the temptations of 'carrying on no matter what' or to a 'fear of dying.' If given the choice, he would probably choose 'planned death' to 'pain and death to his friends.'

I love THO's explanation much better though!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  07:26:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A pleasure.

love,
THO

It does make sense, and of course adds to the drama as well. However, I wonder: Why did not all this information about Elminsters recovery and all appear in the book, like an 'Epilogue' sort of thing?

Ergdusch *musing*

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  20:35:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably, knowing Ed, because his original draft was long by five or six chapters and it had to get trimmed back just to what was published.

What... you didn't actually think all those memory fragments started as fragments, did you?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  11:48:41  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

What... you didn't actually think all those memory fragments started as fragments, did you?

Well...

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  13:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering, now that elminster lost some of his memories. Was it more likely that he is now more energetic?

he used to complain about retiring because of having too many bad memories. Now since many of them are gone, any chance of him being more active?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  15:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, other direction. (He is retired.)
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  11:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats his excuse this time? He is feeling vulnerable?
Go to Top of Page

Shandar The Ashen
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  02:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Shandar The Ashen's Homepage Send Shandar The Ashen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is less a question about how long El was in Hell, and more about when he was in Hell. I know he was there in 1372 DR, but can anyone tell me if the Hell he was in was Pre Reckoning or Post Reckoning?

I'm trying to nail down when in Dale Reckoning the Reckoning of Hell occured (as per {Paladin in Hell module and the Guide to Hell 2E sourcebook)

Can anyone help with a date for when Mammon became a Geryon wannabe and Baazebul turned into a slime spitting slug?

Thanks in advance

Shandar

"What doesn't kill you only adds to your experience points."

http://adndholdout.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page