Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Zhentarim symbol
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2002 :  12:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Everyone knows the symbol of the Zhentarim - the black 'Z' on a yellow circle upon a black inverted triangle. Its been around for years, it stikes fear into anyone who glances upon it on a standard or armor..... so why is there a new symbol shown in "Lords of Darkness"?? Has this really been adopted as the new Zhentarim symbol? I dont have it to hand right now but im sure the original symbol is still shown in the FRCS book!

The new symbol just looks messy and is nowhere near as distinguishable.

Rad

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  15:31:56  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is indeed a new symbol for the Zhentarim, and it replaces the old 'Z' from 2e and before. Use of this symbol can be seen in the cover art of Lords of Darkness. It depicts Zyculla Darkhope leading an assault on a Moonsea city. (Does anyone have ideas which city this could be?)

It is not uncommon for organizations to change their logo over time. Maybe the Zhents felt their old symbol was either too well known or did not confirm to their standards anymore. Besides the Zhentarim now frimly under control of Fzoul (read Bane) is a different organization compared to what it was before.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  20:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the new symbol isent that bad its okey the Z wasent that spookey
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  06:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know...I think the old symbol was what they needed...it was ambivalent.

I don't think the Zhents need to be waving a "We're Bad Guys" flag about....and that's what the new symbol kind of does...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Bladesinger
Acolyte

Turkey
35 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  21:24:48  Show Profile Send Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think members from Zhentil Keep and Citadel of the Raven are using the new symbol. The scepter on the symbol signifies Zhents devotion to Bane, so I don't think Cyricist Zhents of Darkhold would use it.
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  19:42:31  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my game I have Split the symbols up just like that. Except the Cyricist Zhents have added the Black Sun symbol to theirs and Zhents loyal to Manshoon have kept the Z symbol....Of course I am setting the stage for a Zhent Civil war....

Run run as fast as you can you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man...

The Arcane Brotherhood, Wizards of the Sword Coast.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  03:13:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...that sounds like a very interesting alternative to the standard flag/symbol type.

Be sure to keep us apprised of your Zhentarim civil war scenario...it sounds very interesting...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  08:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now theres a new way of looking at it! A great idea...as the Sage says...keep us posted! Im creating a Zhentarim-heavy campaign at the moment and would be interested to hear of your ideas and developments.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  08:53:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the psychotic seaotter

In my game I have Split the symbols up just like that. Except the Cyricist Zhents have added the Black Sun symbol to theirs and Zhents loyal to Manshoon have kept the Z symbol....Of course I am setting the stage for a Zhent Civil war....

Actually, something I forgot to ask before...

How exactly did you add the Black Sun symbol to your Cyricist Zhents symbol...? Did you simply place the 'Black Sun' detail behind the black dragon (which, IIRC symbolizes dominion)?. Also, the scepter signifies the veneration of Bane, perhaps you removed the scepter, and in it's place put the black (or purple) sunburst and white jawless skull symbol of Cyric...?

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Mar 2004 08:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  05:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I find an illustration that displays the current Zhentarim symbol?. It doesn't show this new emblem that everybody in this thread is talking about, in the FRCS.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  08:29:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new symbols in Lords of Darkness

Sage: Have you read my Banites on the march Campaign?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  12:28:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I haven't, but I remember that you'd mentioned it previously.

Where is it located...?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  13:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

No I haven't, but I remember that you'd mentioned it previously.

Where is it located...?

Here you go

http://www.candlekeep.com./forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2165

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  08:05:17  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to resurrect such a very old thread, but since I wasn't really all that knowledgeable about the Zhentarim, I decided to read up about them in the fourth edition Campaign Guide. I noticed that the symbol there (page 282) (a yellow-gray skull with brownish beams bursting from it) is different from both descriptions listed above and on the Zhentarim article on the FR wiki. I also couldn't help but notice its similarities to Cyric's symbol. Is this the new Zhentarim symbol, or something else?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  08:22:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the newest one.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic