Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR books in German???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  20:38:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes and masters of lore!

I am looking for x-mas presents for my dearest RPG friends. In search of something good and worthwhile (money- and timewise) I thought of FR novels (of course ).

However, as a matter of fact, my friends' knowledge of the english language is not at its best at least not good enough to last for an entire novel. Therefore I need to find books in German.

I already know of some that have been translated:

The Emlinster-Series
The Avatar-Series
Councelors & s
All books by Salvatore

Unfortunatelly none of those above are very appealing for various reasons.

So, does anyone, maybe the authors themselves, know of other books translated into the german language?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ergudsch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  20:59:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ergdusch,

Try this link: http://shop.feder-und-schwert.com/index.php?cPath=2_17
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  21:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mord in Halruua und Mord in Cormyr gäbe es da noch.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  21:22:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick answer, Paul!

ON top of those that I have named before there is to find:
-The War of the Spider Queen-Series
-Return of the Arcwizards Trilogy
-Rogue Dragon Trilogy

Unfortuatelly I was unable find the City-Series or Erevis-Cale Trilogy in their list, both series I am really looking for, as wellas the Blackstaff novel

How come some books make it to a german translation and some don't? What's the triggering event for the ones that make it? How long does it take for a single book to be translated? Any ideas anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  21:57:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Mord in Halruua und Mord in Cormyr gäbe es da noch.

True enough! I forgot about those two - even though I can call the latter my own....

Thanks Dart!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Nov 2006 08:54:55
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  23:10:16  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Deleted post

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 08 Nov 2006 23:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  16:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How come some books make it to a german translation and some don't? What's the triggering event for the ones that make it? How long does it take for a single book to be translated? Any ideas anyone?

Warum fragst du sowas nicht in deutschen Foren nach? Da kann man dir bestimmt besser helfen. Die Amis übersetzen doch nicht *g*
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  16:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ich hab mit den Leuten von Feder & Schwert auf der Messe in Essen gesprochen. (weil ich selber wieder übersetzen wollte)

Feder & Schwert kauft einzelne Serien um sie zu vermarkten, nicht, wie beim Spiel, alles.

Translation

I spoke with the folks at Feder & Schwert about this at the Spiel in Essen. (since I want to translate again)

Feder & Schwert buys single trilogies/series, unlike the game where they have obtained the right for the entire game line.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  22:37:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Ich hab mit den Leuten von Feder & Schwert auf der Messe in Essen gesprochen. (weil ich selber wieder übersetzen wollte)

Feder & Schwert kauft einzelne Serien um sie zu vermarkten, nicht, wie beim Spiel, alles.

Translation

I spoke with the folks at Feder & Schwert about this at the Spiel in Essen. (since I want to translate again)

Feder & Schwert buys single trilogies/series, unlike the game where they have obtained the right for the entire game line.

Danke, mace!

Jetzt weiß ich bescheid! Ähnlich wird es dann wohl auch der Verlag machen bei dem u.a. die Elminster-Reihe erschienen ist. Schade eigentlich.............

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  22:39:25  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

quote:

Warum fragst du sowas nicht in deutschen Foren nach? Da kann man dir bestimmt besser helfen. Die Amis übersetzen doch nicht *g*

Um ehrlich zu sein - ich kenne keines! Aber auf der anderen Seite hab ich mich auch nie darum gekümmert, weil mein Interesse nich sonderlich groß ist an einem zweiten Forum teilzunehmen. Candlekeep ist für vollkommen ausreichend.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  22:40:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes and forum mods:

That shall be all german you will read. From now on in english again - promise!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 15 Nov 2006 22:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  23:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, FR novels come in German, do they come in Russian? It's very difficult to find anything worth reading translated to Russian!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  07:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Danke, mace!

Jetzt weiß ich bescheid! Ähnlich wird es dann wohl auch der Verlag machen bei dem u.a. die Elminster-Reihe erschienen ist. Schade eigentlich.............

Ergdusch, I think Goldmann/Blanvalet stopped doing Realms books...not sure about that tho, been ages since I've been in touch with them

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  07:47:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Danke, mace!

Ergdusch, I think Goldmann/Blanvalet stopped doing Realms books...not sure about that tho, been ages since I've been in touch with them

As it seems they at least did Elminsters Daughter and all the recent books by Salvatore, see for yourself:

Eds books: http://www.randomhouse.de/author/author.jsp?per=69833
RAS' books: http://www.randomhouse.de/author/author.jsp?per=49462

Edit note: A quick search for other famous realms authors had no result, so it seems the two mentioned above are the only ones that have contracts (or whatever) with Blanvalet.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 16 Nov 2006 07:49:39
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  08:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That could be a possibility. Since I have yet to buy a single realms novel in German...

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  19:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The translation of the Elminster Serie was bad...very bad.
I always wondered why they couldn`t stay in line with fantasy words translation from other publishers.
Go to Top of Page

Romaal
Acolyte

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  22:15:44  Show Profile Send Romaal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Aglaranna - I think the German Market is a lot of bigger than the Russian one for FR novels. Sry, but I don't think that many FR novels would be translated into Russian.

@Lameth - I'am just reading the "Rückkehr des Dunkelelfs" triology and the translation isn't bad at all. As I can remember, the avatar triology was really really bad translated.

Edited by - Romaal on 16 Nov 2006 22:16:01
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  23:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I suppose I'll drag my best friend in...She speaks German...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  08:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always wondered why they couldn`t stay in line with fantasy words translation from other publishers.

I can answer that in part.

I only worked on "Drachenauge" a collection of DragonLance short stories, but it was enough to make an educated assumption.

Sure, I never finished my German studies at college, so my choice of sentence structure was, maybe, at times awkward to them, but in essence my translations were better than those of their regular translator, mainly because I write as well.

Goldmann/Blanvalet never took the time to compare my work with the original, so to speak. Otherwise they would've notied that I added about 1.5 pages to one of the stories so that it actually made sense, yep it didn't make any sense in English.

To them it is only important that you turn in your work asap and that their editors do not have much work at all with the text, quality be damned.

That is the gist of it.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  08:28:25  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Romaal
@Lameth - I'am just reading the "Rückkehr des Dunkelelfs" triology and the translation isn't bad at all. As I can remember, the avatar triology was really really bad translated.

When I started reading FR novels (with the icewind dale trilogy) I read the german translations ad I liked them. However, after reading the first book of the Avatar series in german as well I was so disappointed that I nearly stopped reading them. That was translated so poorly - really - that I never got caught in the story or felt the awe of the FR. Luckely I continued with the the english books - otherwise I would have never come to the enjoymentof reading Crucible.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  08:32:32  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can answer that in part.

I only worked on "Drachenauge" a collection of DragonLance short stories, but it was enough to make an educated assumption.

Sure, I never finished my German studies at college, so my choice of sentence structure was, maybe, at times awkward to them, but in essence my translations were better than those of their regular translator, mainly because I write as well.

Goldmann/Blanvalet never took the time to compare my work with the original, so to speak. Otherwise they would've notied that I added about 1.5 pages to one of the stories so that it actually made sense, yep it didn't make any sense in English.

To them it is only important that you turn in your work asap and that their editors do not have much work at all with the text, quality be damned.

That is the gist of it.

As often - no heart involved in the work's doing.
However - I wonder - are the translators native english speakers with a german degree or germans with a degree in english?

Go to Top of Page

zauriel
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  10:23:09  Show Profile  Visit zauriel's Homepage Send zauriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.rpgboard.de/thread.php4?id=41488

here you can find a list of all Fr book published in german.

"Can you feel the thunder inside?"
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  12:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As often - no heart involved in the work's doing.
However - I wonder - are the translators native english speakers with a german degree or germans with a degree in english?

I have no idea, I am native German, kinda fluent in English.

I think, from the reasons they never gave me another contract, that they basically look for people with a degree in German who speak decent English, so that their editors can do other stuff...attention to detail be damned.

Admittedly, I tried to be very accurate in terms of structure and such, but commas have always been a bane to me. Still I had a teacher look over the stuff, so I am fairly sure I didn't miss much.

Stylistically my translations were superior to those of Goldmann's "home" translator, but that seemed to be unimportant... quite sad, really.

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  04:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed that is sad, Mace. FR novels (but many other novels, too, in all honesty) translated into German make me literally cringe at the books sometimes. Some things were translated horribly or changed alltogether. The Drizzt books were okay...but, I only appreciated RAS after reading the originals, because there´s hardly a significant difference in speech between, say, Alustriel and Bruenor in the translation...or any other chars, which makes it highly less enjoyable. The Clerics Quintet was better IMO, the Elminster Series were mostly urgh and Avatar was a catastrophe in letters, plain and simple. A friend of mine read it, since he isn´t fluent in English and asked me about some things, and I was like WTF is he talking about, that´s how bad it is...jeez, they changed Bane´s name, nuff said. In all honesty, I´m really thankful for being half-Irish and therefore bilingual. I always, in any novel, choose original over translation if possible, but in the case of FR it´s an absolute must.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  20:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, perverting "Bane" into "Tyrannos" was something I can't understand. The problem with German is, that translating names like "Brimstone" doesn't sound good at all.
My girlfriend reads the FR books in German and constantly asks me about some words or names that were translated akwardly. The publisher probably doesn't have the time and money to make a thorough translation, so we probably should be thankful that they translate them at all . And long live the bilinguals! . P.S.: The same problem occurs with books by Tolkien too, he has such a wonderful style of writing that never manages to survive in German translations (but thats offtopic).

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  21:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fear the problem lies elsewhere: the publishers/editors do not read the translations.

How else could it be possible that I can add about 2 pages to a short story, make the story whole, and get paid for those?

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  09:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I fear the problem lies elsewhere: the publishers/editors do not read the translations.

How else could it be possible that I can add about 2 pages to a short story, make the story whole, and get paid for those?

Some mysteries are never solved...

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  09:36:41  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, some other books seem to be traslated just fine - as I figure since some of my friends are totally into the 'Song of Ice and Fire' (have not read it myself). That translation seems to be very decent as I have heard of no complains about bad wording ect. - actually the other way around only good critics.

Mmmh - anyhow, let's hope that Mace gets some contracts to make the german readers enjoy the FR novels a little more maybe (or that those reading the german books never notice the huge difference and are thus happy with what they have).

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  10:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thought, Ergdush...maybe it works :)

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  17:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, some other books seem to be traslated just fine - as I figure since some of my friends are totally into the 'Song of Ice and Fire' (have not read it myself)...

It all comes down to money. I guess the license for "Song of Ice and Fire" doesn't cost as much as the license for a FR-Trilogy.

But I think Blanvalet are just more thorough (being part of a huge publishing house (Bertelsmann?) etc.) than the guys at "Feder und Schwert".

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  20:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Braveheart, I did my translation work for Blanvalet/Goldmann/Bertelsmann...why do you think I was so utterly surprised that the 2 extra pages didn't get noticed?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000