Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sea Battle needed!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  19:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

As my first venture into writing a short FR story, I am adapting one of my current works to make it realms orientated before submitting to this site for some critique. What I need to find is a well-known FR sea battle and as many details about it as possible - who was involved, what sort of ships they had, what kind of weapons - any uniforms or ranks of any kind - as well as dates etc.

Thankyou!

Alexis

P.S. If anyone is interested, the story which I am adapting is one about the Battle of the Nile - between the British and the French fleets (with apologies to Zemd )

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  21:35:02  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
English Vs French...

Ok, i won't help on that one!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  23:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, now Zemd, don't be prejudiced.

As far as I know, there have been no naval fleet engagments in the Forgotten Realms series. There have been single-ship battles (Salvatore's Passage to Dawn being your best bet, I think), and some humans vs. sahuagin/other as well. But I don't think that's what you're looking for.

My suggestion? Simple. Make it up. Fabrication isn't a sin, after all. And it's only a fanfic, not a canon novel, so you don't have the same pressures of "gotta get it right" that you would have with a real publisher.

It sounds really interesting, especially as I'm writing a paper (well, just starting to do so) on the history and evolution of naval warfare, from the Greeks and Egyptians on up to the modern aircraft carrier.

Swing it by me when you're ready, if you'd like. I'll help in any way I can. I've an open invitation to all writers here.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  05:57:27  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just that i don't have any ideas
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  01:27:12  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a famous pirate in Waterdeep called the Black Alaric. He has blockaded the sword coast from time to time. Also in Tangled Webs there were sea battles involving Longships and Drakkars between the Northmen of Ruathym, and the pirates of Luskan.

Check out the old 2e book called Pirates of the sea of Fallen stars. You should be able to find it in game stores that sell used material, or ebay.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  09:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember any fleet engagments in Tangled Webs. But then it was a long time ago -- and it was my brother's copy, and I haven't picked up one for myself since he moved out.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  02:37:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read FOR2 Pirates of the Fallen Stars for a description of the great sea battle that saw the destruction of the last, great combined pirate fleet of the Inner Sea under Urdogen the Red. The battle is described more from a grand-tactical viewpoint - not the nitty gritty.

The book also has details re each of the Inner Sea nation's navies but there isn't much at all re uniforms/ranks etc.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Logan Featherfeet
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  16:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Logan Featherfeet's Homepage Send Logan Featherfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the halfling's gem also has a sea battle in it. it's not a major engagement though.

When in doubt, shoot a random person. It's likely their fault your confused in the first place, and it'll make you feel better about the situation.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  07:31:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Alexis Merlin, I have a copy of Pirates of the Fallen Stars, so if you have any need for information, I will be glad to help you.

I have used this game accessory from time to time when sea battles were part of my campaign. It's a great help.

Thanks all...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  17:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be most kind of you Sage! If you don't mind I will put together some questions regarding the specifics of the info that I need...Alaundo do you mind if Sage and I continue our discussions on this scroll for all who are interested or would you rather we did it through private email?

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  07:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I'd like to hear more on this. And, perhaps, butt in -- I mean, uh, contribute. You know, in a helpful fashion.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  08:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Alexis Merlin

That would be most kind of you Sage! If you don't mind I will put together some questions regarding the specifics of the info that I need...Alaundo do you mind if Sage and I continue our discussions on this scroll for all who are interested or would you rather we did it through private email?

Please Alexis, continue your discussions here and share your knowledge with us all. 'Tis a library of learning after all and im sure we can all benefit from this topic.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  08:35:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Alexis Merlin said -
quote:
That would be most kind of you Sage! If you don't mind I will put together some questions regarding the specifics of the info that I need...

I would be most happy to help you out Mr Merlin, simply pose your questions here and I will get to the answers as soon as possible.

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realmslore needs

Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  13:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok here's a few to get me started (and you busy)....

1) Who were the main factions involved, and what were their general motives (e.g. keeping a trade route open or whatever)?

2) What sort of lands do the people involved hail from?

3) What sort of date are we looking at...and since the battle, has any of the nations involved fallen or been conquered...if so how long since the battle? (My story involves flashbacks...)

Thanks!

Alexis.

P.S. This may sound a bit random but isn't it great the way I can get help on this from someone who is literally the other side of the world from me (or 'down under' as we Brits refer to it)!!! Wonders of modern technology eh?

(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  14:36:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Alexis Merlin said -
quote:
1) Who were the main factions involved, and what were their general motives (e.g. keeping a trade route open or whatever)?

2) What sort of lands do the people involved hail from?

3) What sort of date are we looking at...and since the battle, has any of the nations involved fallen or been conquered...if so how long since the battle? (My story involves flashbacks...)

After re-reading several sections of the book I found some details about the battle George Krashos mentioned in his post. The data is not specific, but I will try my best to answer your questions.

Please be aware that the data that follows is directly from Pirates of the Fallen Stars -

1 - The rising Inner Sea kingdoms-Cormyr, Sembia, Impiltur, and the Vilhon Reach had units on the seas against the pirates who were lead by Urdogen "the Red". The main reason for the battle was to stop Urdogen and his pirates from systematically plundering coastal villages belonging to the kingdoms involved.

2 - The pirates were a collection of people from many of the assorted Pirate Isles, but most came from Dragonisle.

3 - The battle began shortly after dawn, Eleint 11, 1209 DR. All the nations involved defeated Urdogen and his force and the pirates power had been broken. None of the nations involved were conquered or had fallen, but some of the victorious allied countries fell to bickering over the spoils after the battle. Due to the bickering, a chance for a unified nation of the Inner Sea faded into nothing.

I hope that helps, if you need more information, please let me know.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  10:43:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

I'm still here Mr Merlin, if you require any more information. Please just let me know on this board, and I will try to help out.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  23:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<looks up from writing his scroll>

Aha! Glad you haven't left just yet, I've got a few more for you!

1) What sort of weapondry was around at the time? I'm particularly interested in any which were ship-to-ship (like cannons).

2) Was there any magic/mages involved?

3) What sort of Sea Deities may have been invoked to aid in the fight?

4) Were there any signifcant events in the battle such as a major ship blowing up, sea monsters joining in the melee etc?

Thankyou!

Alexis Merlin Esq.

(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  09:30:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Alexis Merlin said -
quote:
Aha! Glad you haven't left just yet, I've got a few more for you!

1) What sort of weapondry was around at the time? I'm particularly interested in any which were ship-to-ship (like cannons).

2) Was there any magic/mages involved?

3) What sort of Sea Deities may have been invoked to aid in the fight?

4) Were there any signifcant events in the battle such as a major ship blowing up, sea monsters joining in the melee etc?
There isn't a lot of information about the battle itself except for several small paragraphs, and even then it only details major aspects of the battle. Here are the answers that I have managed to research for you -

[1] - The only real ship-to-ship weaponry the book mentions are: ship-rams, and arbalests, and these were all mostly on the allied ships which were used against the pirates. I am also sure that cannons were used as well.

[2] - The book makes no mention of specific magic or mages used in the battle, but considering that Cormyr sent warships as part of the allied fleet, you can be pretty sure that War Wizards were probably also assigned to some of those ships. As well as this I just re-read a section which states that Aglarond sent a small contingent of ships which also probably included wizards.

[3] - The book makes no mention of any sort of sea deities that may have been invoked to aid in the fight.

[4] - There were no significant moments of the actual battle, because once all the allied nations' fleets arrived (after a slight delay for the Cormyrian and Vilhon portion of the fleet due to poor winds) the pirate force was quickly surrounded and cut off from any form of retreat. After this, the battle quickly degenerated into a battle of attrition, as pirate ships struggled to escape the net formed by the 160 attacking allied ships. The pirates had roughly 90 ships.

I hope this information helps you, remember if you need anything more just let me know, until then,

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  16:40:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Are you there Alexis . I have supplied the information you need, I'm just checking up to see whether you need anything else.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  05:58:13  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IN order too be safe for a ship battle in the realms is too make sure each ship has a mage with lots of evocation! SHIP battles give Fireball and Lightning bolt NEW meaning!

I have run alot of ship battles. I really like the pirate motif.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  07:58:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said.

Although details in the book were not specific, it basically makes good 'Realms-sense' to have several wizards on board the attacking ships, for both offensive and defensive manoeuvrers.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  12:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or even someone oriented towards water/air mixes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  12:30:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, a good point Bookwyrm.

Unfortunately I have never been able to fully explore sea-battles in the FR which involve wizards, because my gaming group mostly dislike adventuring near large bodies of water, preferring to remain on land.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  02:34:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love sea battles, and have made them a flavour of all campaigns:)

I adapted the first edition A series (A1-4) the Slaver series to forgotten realms. Because the climax occurs on an island, I had the characters attack the slaver arm of the Kraken Society (no they do not have one in canon, i just made it up). Well they defeated that arm of the Krakens, and now they have the Kraken's eternal Enmity. But in order to get there and off the isle, I used sea battles.

I also used to use the Black Alaric of waterdeep fame in my 2nd ed campaign, but I have yet to make up stats for his 3e incarnation.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  16:40:29  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea battles are great since u can combin attck from the undersea, the sky and the boats. Its always wierd and u never know how it will end. Besides, its even more hazardious when the weather comes in the fight...
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  08:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi all! I had hoped to at least post the first part of the story on here by now but unfortunatley I am in Germany atm for a 2 week internship....and although I have a computer here I forgot to bring my story to continue work on

Might try to contact parentals to get them to email me it....

will prob have some more q#s for you sage when I get around to carrying on with it

(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  10:13:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am always here Alexis.

Pose your questions and I will be glad to assist.

May your learning be free and unfettered.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2003 :  13:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your looking for some things about large on sea battles then you might want to look into AEG's War and Merc books. AEG seems to produce some good D&D and D20 game material. Not sure what all It has in it though. I have the war book but I have yet to look into it. I hear that it has things all about ground troops .. no one said anything about ships etc. But im sure that it dose. Its supposed to have everything needed for wars in past-time RPs. I know it has new classes and seige weapons but so far thats about it.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  06:01:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Merlin,

The Sage is certainly correct in the information presented of course, but there is one more thing I would like to add to the Sage's information if I may be so presumptuous...

...the name of the battle in question regarding Urdogen the Red was, The Battle of the Fallen. It was listed as a truly massive nautical skirmish.

The War of the Spheres is a Realmspace large naval battle, albeit in space. Here is a URL to that as well: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/War_of_the_Spheres

Over in the Kara-tur area of the world was the Battle of Wui Eyong, which was "fought in the year Koryo 812 between the forces of Koryo and Kozakura. The hero Niofu Sangto, holder of the sitting dog chalice, defeated the Kozakuran navy in the battle." Kara-tur: The Eastern Realms II, p.125

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Alexis Merlin

Hi all,

As my first venture into writing a short FR story, I am adapting one of my current works to make it realms orientated before submitting to this site for some critique. What I need to find is a well-known FR sea battle and as many details about it as possible - who was involved, what sort of ships they had, what kind of weapons - any uniforms or ranks of any kind - as well as dates etc.

Thankyou!

Alexis

P.S. If anyone is interested, the story which I am adapting is one about the Battle of the Nile - between the British and the French fleets (with apologies to Zemd )

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000