Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Phlan Web enhancment info
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  16:03:03  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Courtesy of Sean K Reynolds forum:
<<Sean shot me an email about this thread and pointed me here a few days ago. I finally wandered in to give some insight on what to expect.

The web enhancement for MotM is going to be an adventure set in Phlan. The adventure is approximately 15,000 words, or around 20 pages long, and it is roughly evenly divided between source material for Phlan and the actual adventure.

You can expect the source material on the city to look a lot like the write up in the 2nd edition accessory "The Moonsea." There are some major differences though. One of the things I noticed about the various version of the city is that there was never a unifying vision of what the city was like. There really are a lot of ruins there for the number of people living there. While the 2nd edition accessory points out the fact that there are still some sealed chambers containing horrors that have been locked away, it still doesn't effectively deal with all the empty space. That's one of the things I tried to do with the enhancement. In other words, Tyranthraxus may be long gone, but even after all these years, there's still a lot to do in the city.

The other thing I obviously did was to advance the timeline. Some NPCs have gained a level or two, some NPCs are doing different things, and there's a bunch of new NPCs as well, some of whom are not so nice and could provide a challenge for any party spending any amount of time in Phlan.

Most memorable places from the module got a write-up, and some of them are still interesting in terms of adventuring locations.

As with all RPG products, the existing RPG source material was used rather than the novels. If you notice any glaring differences, that's why.

Hope that gives you some idea of what to expect. I can't promise that it will make everyone happy, but as a long time FR player and reader, and as someone who has had a great deal of fun in Phlan myself, I'm happy with the outcome.>>>
The link:
http://www.seankreynolds.com/boardskr/viewtopic.php?t=1113&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=a6247be6605d1097918e7bfb21b55463

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  00:31:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't think I'll have much interest in the adventure, since I tend to stay away from running pre-made 3e adventures.

I'm intrigued by the source material for Phlan however.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  07:48:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel compelled to say this, so let me just preface this by saying that I appreciate the work that the designers do, and am glad to have so many talented people at work in the Realms to make it a quality and memorable place.

But there is not a separate continuity for "game" Forgotten Realms and "novel" Forgotten Realms, and that should be truer now that the books and games departments of WOTC are under one roof than it ever was before. I fully understand that novel characters can do things that PCs can't, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen, it just means there aren't RULES for the things that the characters in the novels have done.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. That having been said, I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  10:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an odd remark, since most of the sourcebooks do use relevant material that happened to be published in novels. Maybe he means he favoured the sourcebooks in cases of contradiction? Though that wouldn't be a good blanket policy either.

Novel characters can sometimes do things not covered in the rules, but so can PCs -- otherwise you're abusing the rules as a straitjacket rather than a game aid.

Edited by - Faraer on 31 Oct 2006 10:05:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000